Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2015, 02:26   #166
BHPian

Re: Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS : Ownership Review, 2200 Kms

Hi Katchkamlesh

I too have a 2year old NS and its black. Done about 11k so far.
I had been suspecting that i seem to have too much chain noise on my bike, but wasnt so sure. I happened to go out on a very short ride today without my helmet and i was surprised with the amount of chain noise. In fact i could hear my chain over my engine. The overall refinement of the machine now is pretty appalling. I dont use the bike as a daily ride, and hence has been treated very nicely. Yet to switch to synthetics, running on Motul 3100 right now.

Is this normal ? I have been pretty regular with my chain maintenance. How do you guys find out if the chain & sprocket needs replacement ?
Old 25th November 2015, 21:50   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Hi Katchkamlesh

I too have a 2year old NS and its black. Done about 11k so far.
-SNIP-
Is this normal ? I have been pretty regular with my chain maintenance. How do you guys find out if the chain & sprocket needs replacement ?
Check your chain free play. It should be ~25-35mm midway between sprockets. When the chain slack can no longer be adjusted by moving the axle further back, it's time to replace the chain ( and sprocket, since it's bets to change them together as a set). Sprocket wear is harder to guess since visually the eye may not identify uneven wear unless it's be neglected and allowed to grow a lot. One side of the teeth will be more worn where the chain exerts its pressure. If the wear is excessive, the chain will not sit well on the sprocket and move about (front-back) , by this point you're long overdue on replacing them. Other signs are - chain jumping off the sprockets, a dangerous situation though this could be due to loose chain and not definite as worn chain/sprocket.
Old 27th November 2015, 01:07   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Check your chain free play. It should be ~25-35mm midway between sprockets. ---.
Hi Ricci. Thanks for the tip. Now that you've said, the chain noise that i seem to be encountering is not the chain slapping nose that results due to chain slack.
Its more like a kirr-kirr-kirr noise which comes out of the chain joints itself. Possibly out of the front sprocket.

On a side note, i just heard an AS200 and it sounded quite a bit smoother ! Seems the newer machines are quite good now
Old 18th January 2016, 22:10   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantRebel View Post
Any reason as to why the fan did not kick in when the engine got heated.
I guess the fan's motor failed and hence it did not kick in. Also, the coolant pump is the one which circulates the coolant through the radiator. Since both the components failed, engine temperature shot up.

Hi coldice, I replaced my factory fitted chain set at 14k km. Now my bike has done close to 38k km and I believe that it will need replacement. Its not only the slack but also the amount of dust and grim that is being accumulated decides the time for replacement. In my case its the grim that is difficult to remove. I use motul chain spray and lube every 750km and I think that it will be economical to replace the chain set rather than empty a chain clean can.

Last edited by katchkamalesh : 18th January 2016 at 22:19.
Old 30th November 2016, 11:20   #170
BHPian

My bike has clocked over 49,000km and last service was a pain.

My bike was due for general service and I had two major complaints, the bike cutoff (loss of power and at times stalled as well) while riding and noise from the cone set.

As usual, left the bike for service at Jai Bajaj, Gowrivakkam. They cleaned the carb and tried their best to resolve the issues. However they were not able to.

So I took the bike to a bigger showroom, Jai Bajaj, Tambaram. I had to visit this showroom 4 times to get the issue sorted, at least for the time being. The cutoff issue was resolved after the 4th visit but they were not able to sort the cone issue.

The only problem that I have been facing right from day one till now is the issue with cone set. There is a jerking movement when I brake hard and there is too much of rattling noise. Even replacing the cone set doesn’t resolve this. This resurfaces after a couple of months.

Apart from these niggles the bike runs smooth. I regularly use Motul chain clean and Lube to maintain the chain and prefer Motul engine oil over other brands.

Before service, the FE dropped to 30kmpl but after the service it is back at 37kmpl.
katchkamalesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 15:33   #171
BHPian

Hi. Did you find out the cause of the stalling and power loss problems?
Old 5th December 2016, 19:01   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Hi. Did you find out the cause of the stalling and power loss problems?
They were not able to tell me any reason for it despite asking them a couple of times. I was charged for spark plugs but I guess that was not the culprit as the bike stalled even after changing the spark plugs.
Old 29th November 2017, 09:39   #173
BHPian

Updating the thread after a year.

The bike has clocked close to 58k km and it is time for some major service.

Looks like I will have to shell out close to Rs 10,000 to replace the below parts.

1. Rear shock has gone bust and it costs around 3K.
2. Cone set has to be replaced again and it costs around 1.5K
3. Sprocket and Chain replacement – 2.5K?
4. Front tyre – 3K.

Have ordered the parts and hopefully should get these replaced before the weekend.

Will update the thread with the actual prices.
katchkamalesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 19:06   #174
BHPian

Got the necessary parts replaced and below is the price of components.
  1. Rear Shock absorber - 1936.72 + 542.28 (tax) = Rs 2479
  2. Bracket assembly - 942.19 + 263.82 (tax) = Rs 1206
  3. Steering head - 296 + 93 (tax) = Rs 379
  4. Chain sprocket - 1106.25 + 310 (tax) = Rs 1416
  5. other small components such as bolt, slider chain etc - 287 + 80 (tax) = Rs 368

Total spares bill came to Rs 5896.61

Labor charges came to Rs 1505 (of which tax is 229)

I paid Rs 7402.

Got the front tyre replaced with MRF 110/70-17 ZAPPER FY - TL yesterday for Rs 1600.

As of today the bike has clocked close to 58k km and the bike is running like a brand new one.

Last edited by katchkamalesh : 2nd December 2017 at 19:07.
katchkamalesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 21:17   #175
BHPian

60k km update

Had given the bike for general service at Jai Bajaj, Gowrivakkam, Chennai.

The only niggles that I faced were
1. Hear clunk noise while downshifting at slow speeds I was under the impression that there was an issue with the clutch.
2. Engine turned rough as the service interval got near. I am of the opinion that I should service the bike every 4k km instead of recommended 5k.
3. There was a weird noise like that of K&N filter at 6k RPM.

The mechanic went for a test drive and told me that
1. The clutch was fine and adjusting the play should fix the issue.
2. He suspects the noise to be from the exhaust system and tightening the bolts should arrest it.
3. I usually use Motul 5100 but this time I went in for Motul 7100.

The total bill came to Rs. 2573 and below is the break up
1. Motul 7100 – Rs.1099
2. Oil filter – Rs. 73.99
3. Brake Pad – Rs. 190
4. Chain Spray – Rs. 41
5. Consumables – Rs. 65
6. Labour – Rs. 1103

As always service was impeccable and there is nothing to complain. They have addressed all the issues, the engine feels smooth.
katchkamalesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks