Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2011, 22:17   #271
BHPian

re: Suman's Final Dilemma : 320d or X1? EDIT : It's the X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I mean, what's the point wasting an hour TD-ing vehicles that I'll never buy?
From here.... to

Quote:
Half an hour later, the family regrouped & I asked the magical question - Should we stretch & go for it? The answer was a unanimous YES!!!
This, kind of epiphany moment must have been wonderful...

what happened in a matter of 90 minutes, to me is succinctly what human beings are all about... full of emotions... no logic, no economics ... nothing and all rationale thrown to the wind...And I have been through this in few instances and suddenly everything looks within reach. You listen to your heart and make the decision and brain immediately picks up the baton and starts acting and thinks of ways to achieve what you thought some time ago as impossible...

X1 or 320... just go for it.. and enjoy your ride....

Now few observations: are you sure about the difference in GC between x1 & 320? I went to check out X1 for my friend on the day of launch and if my memory serves me right, I was told that the difference is negligible. And I think the rear seat space is also identical, I don't think 3 adults can sit comfortably in both these cars...
Old 19th July 2011, 22:18   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Suman thats an awesome dilemma to have ! I feel X1 is more suited for Indian roads. You can easily accommodate the Extra spare tyre and also use it for outstation trips.

Do you mind sharing the OTR price of both the vehicles being offered to you? I believe yours will be haryana registration right?
Old 19th July 2011, 22:34   #273
Team-BHP Support

Mpower, I think the Cruze has got much more GC than the 320d. A BMW TD vehicle never comes through the road where I stay unless it's an X5 or X1. The 3 and 5 take the longer route which has lesser speed breakers not cause they scrape but because the car gets well and truly beached! I drove a Cruze on that road and it didn't scrape even once.
Old 19th July 2011, 23:03   #274
Senior - BHPian

From the current Choices X1 seems like a more suitable candidate
Old 19th July 2011, 23:03   #275
Senior - BHPian

Suman da, i cant comment on either of the two cars as I have never really driven either, however whichever car you buy please get it delivered on the 12th of August. It will coincide with the starting date of this thread, 2 years to the dot :P.
Hee hee, have been following this thread since day 1 and its exciting to see it might* just be coming to a close

My personal vote will go to the X1 though.

Last edited by sammyboy : 19th July 2011 at 23:05.
Old 20th July 2011, 12:17   #276
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys, from what I can see, it looks like I'm hearing a lot of "X1" and very few "320d"s - lets keep them coming folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Suman since you have upped your budget, do take a look at the other options in that price range too.

1) Superb Diesel
2) Passat
Akshay, you make a very valid point but here's the problem - I'm not upping my Budget, rather I'm stretching it simply because of the BMW badge, that's all. If we take the Bimmers out of the equation, I would stick with the Cruze, not even look at the Superb or Passat.

Pure "heart"felt logic - does that make sense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Also have a look at the C class, they are offering huge discounts as a facelifted version is due.
I know the CDI is being offered at almost 30-35% off but I'm not interested in the Merc. About the Bimmers stiff ride, its the runflats which are responsible I think & yes, the X1 steering is heavy but look at what I'm driving now . I'll be keenly awaiting your review on the X1 though, do post quickly. Also, you know the roads on my commute - Phase V to Chanakyapuri & back and Phase V to Jasola & back. If you were to take a call between these two cars based on the commute, which one would you recommend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
But wait for a while if you can, and give a side glance to the Audi Q3,will you-just in case?
Charthom, I've waited anough mate, my family is on the verge of disowning me - can't take a chance any longer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
X1 or 320... just go for it.. and enjoy your ride....
Hey, how are you man, long time, hope all well? Thanks for understanding my emotions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Now few observations: are you sure about the difference in GC between x1 & 320? I went to check out X1 for my friend on the day of launch and if my memory serves me right, I was told that the difference is negligible. And I think the rear seat space is also identical, I don't think 3 adults can sit comfortably in both these cars...
You are correct, 3 adults cannot sit comfortably - its just that the rear AC vents in the 3 series cramp up the center even more. But the GC is more in the X1, those are the numbers from the manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Do you mind sharing the OTR price of both the vehicles being offered to you? I believe yours will be haryana registration right?
Following are on-road prices that have been quoted to me, including BMW Secure & 3yrs/60k kms BSI -
  • X1 - 28.8
  • 320d - 27.8
However, the 320d price can be driven down by at least another 30k, probably more.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Mpower, I think the Cruze has got much more GC than the 320d.
I would agree with Viddy on this one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
From the current Choices X1 seems like a more suitable candidate
Thanks Kedar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
however whichever car you buy please get it delivered on the 12th of August. It will coincide with the starting date of this thread, 2 years to the dot :P.
ROTFL, OMG, have I been procrastinating that long

Last edited by suman : 20th July 2011 at 12:28.
Old 20th July 2011, 12:44   #277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Akshay, you make a very valid point but here's the problem - I'm not upping my Budget, rather I'm stretching it simply because of the BMW badge, that's all. If we take the Bimmers out of the equation, I would stick with the Cruze, not even look at the Superb or Passat.

I understand completely what you mean. But you have waited so long to make a good decision, I think you should just check out the competition, just so that you are a 100% sure. Who knows, you may feel one of those cars is worth stretching your budget for too.

If I were you, I would just take a td of the 2 cars. Heck then at least you will know your making the best decision.
Old 20th July 2011, 12:57   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know the CDI is being offered at almost 30-35% off but I'm not interested in the Merc.
Scared of high maintenance costs? Do you plan to opt for maintenance plans from BMW?

Quote:
About the Bimmers stiff ride, its the runflats which are responsible I think & yes, the X1 steering is heavy but look at what I'm driving now .
Without the run flats you will be risking the rims with the low profile tires. Do not expect major changes with normal tires.

Quote:
I'll be keenly awaiting your review on the X1 though, do post quickly.
Work is on in Assembly line

Quote:
Also, you know the roads on my commute - Phase V to Chanakyapuri & back and Phase V to Jasola & back.
Even on roads we call good like MG Road section near malls the Traction control light starts blinking if accelerating hard because the tires spend most of the times in Air, it lands back with a huge THUD.

Quote:
If you were to take a call between these two cars based on the commute, which one would you recommend?
I would recommend X1 only for the GC, for everything else the 320d is a far superior car. If you can live with the stiff ride and tight space 320d is a brilliant car.

The cost cutting in X1 is evident everywhere, from plastics to NVH, at idle the vibrations can be felt in seat and the same engine which feels absolutely silent in 520d feels louder and rougher than Verna's engine in X1.

Even if you do not intend to buy, Please TD the Superb, Passat and Laura just for comparison.

Last edited by .anshuman : 20th July 2011 at 13:05.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 13:24   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Scared of high maintenance costs? Do you plan to opt for maintenance plans from BMW?
Yup, prices I've quoted below are inclusive of BSI package.
Old 20th July 2011, 13:30   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are correct, 3 adults cannot sit comfortably -
If X1, it would remain your daily commute car / city trips. I dont think you will be able to do any long trips with the X1.
If 320D, GC is going to be a every-trip-issue. And for this reason, not the best choice for out-station trips ?

Quote:
ROTFL, OMG, have I been procrastinating that long
sangat ka asar hai ..
Old 20th July 2011, 13:33   #281
Senior - BHPian

Now that's an upgrade sumanda. So happy for you, though I'll hold my horse untill find you siting in the car

My suggestion would be to pick X1 any day over 320d, not only it is a newer model (upgrade of 320d around the a quarter or two) but otherwise for the overall feel and not-so-cramp interiors as of 320d.
Old 20th July 2011, 13:41   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, prices I've quoted below are inclusive of BSI package.
Does the quote include the BMW secure Zero depreciation insurance aswell? if not get it as a paid option, you may not like paying 40-50k for small damages like OVRMs which get stolen often in Delhi.
Old 20th July 2011, 13:44   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
If I were you, I would just take a td of the 2 cars. Heck then at least you will know your making the best decision.
Quote:
Even if you do not intend to buy, Please TD the Superb, Passat and Laura just for comparison.
Guys, I have no doubt the Superb, Laura & Passat are great cars but its just I'm not remotely interested in them at this point. I know that's neither logical, nor rational but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
sangat ka asar hai ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
So happy for you, though I'll hold my horse untill find you siting in the car
LOL guys
Quote:
Does the quote include the BMW secure Zero depreciation insurance aswell?
Yup, BMW Secure as well as BSI. Sahil advised against the BMW Secure but I intend going for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeSan27 View Post
Here's my vote for X1.
Thanks mate & I've been looking out for your ownership thread - do post your experiences so far!

Last edited by suman : 20th July 2011 at 13:49.
Old 20th July 2011, 13:44   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys, from what I can see, it looks like I'm hearing a lot of "X1" and very few "320d"s - lets keep them coming folks!

Here's my vote for X1.

The logic makes perfect sense, buying a Bimmer is a dream, that's why we streteched and realised ours. The added bonuses are the GC and exclusive form factor.
Old 20th July 2011, 14:14   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If X1, it would remain your daily commute car / city trips. I dont think you will be able to do any long trips with the X1.
I stand corrected.

My earlier comments about the X1 were based on looking from outside briefly. But pics show a fair size boot. Specs state 419 litres. Pretty much that of an Ikon.

With it's 193mm GC & fairly large boot, guess X1 should pick itself ahead of the 320d ?

from caricos.com:
Suman's Final Dilemma : 320d or X1? EDIT : It's the X1-x1boot.jpg

Last edited by condor : 20th July 2011 at 14:16.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks