Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2014, 10:44   #1126
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I try to maintain a similar dieting regimen. But yes, I am not that stringent, as my needs to reduce are not that dire. Once in a while I do indulge with carbs. Else its the same as you mention!
I was 120 Kilos a few months back so it was dire . Down to 93 and feeling good and still counting. Goal is to reach 80 and relax a bit.
Old 17th November 2014, 11:38   #1127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Actually I was reading about running biomechanics, it seems that our feets & legs perform the best while running barefoot.

The whole shoe thing actually screws up the minor balance and reaction aspect and causes injury to ankle knee and hip joints over a period of time.
Read this theory from many sources, however the theory may not hold good for everyone.
If one doesn't have tough leathery skin on soles which gets formed out of years of barefoot walking don't even try this
Blisters on soles are too painful and will put out of action for at-least 2 weeks.

I can't even wear Kolhapuri chappal without getting blisters so running in good pair of shoes and compromising a little bit on bio-mechanics works best of me
Old 17th November 2014, 12:07   #1128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Read this theory from many sources, however the theory may not hold good for everyone.
If one doesn't have tough leathery skin on soles which gets formed out of years of barefoot walking don't even try this
Blisters on soles are too painful and will put out of action for at-least 2 weeks.

I can't even wear Kolhapuri chappal without getting blisters so running in good pair of shoes and compromising a little bit on bio-mechanics works best of me
Yes, you are right about the soles and blisters part.
I remember a few years back I was dressed in formals but there was a bunch of college folks (we have just passed out and in work) at the company township playing football in the basketball court. (concrete, not even turf!).

Initially I tried playing with the shoes, couldn't maneuver. Removed shoes and loved the nimble footed moves which I could make. But the same (deer and cheetah) maneuvers caused blisters and I couldn't walk or even put my weight down on the foot for the entire week. :( I had to use the outer edge of my soles for walking.

But on the contrary I remember playing football and hockey the entire college life barefoot on dusty soil. (and a few small pebbles here and there). Never faced any problem.
So it depends on the surface as well as foot maneuvers.

On treadmill surface - barefoot should be easily possible without hurting yourself.
Old 17th November 2014, 12:18   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I am looking for weighloss and to reduce belly fat.

Do we have any checklist for buying a treadmill. We have decided to get one at the earliest. As of now details I have gathered are as below,

1. Motorised
2. Horsepower should be between 1.5 to 2.5
3. 5 yrs warranty on motor, 2 years on parts and atlas 1 year on service
4. Belt should be atleast 4 ft in length and 1.5ft in width
5. Speed max to 16KPH

Am i missing something or bang on target.
No idea of treadmill. I guess it should have max power but rated for home users, max warranty, reputed company and easy service.
Old 17th November 2014, 12:25   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Weight control is strictly by maintaining your diet.
Completely agree. I am now 85kg, height 5ft 9inches. I am overweight and can easily come down if wife is not at home and i live with less and outside food.
I/we are planning for workouts only to tone our body, keep fit and healthy. We know that diet plays a key role and we are working tandem.
Old 17th November 2014, 12:38   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
I switched to a Keto diet. Lost close to 25 kilos in 90days, waist down by 5-6 inches. Cholesterol well under control ldl dropped significantly and hdl up to healthy levels. Starting weight training from tomorrow and hope to lose some remaining fat now.

Time for a wardrobe makeover now.
Kudos on the weight loss. I have been following the same diet from more than a year and have lost 35 kilos, more than the weight loss part it helped me keep diabetes at bay. It turns out that i am no longer diabetic, my sugar levels are back to normal and doesn't spike in-spite eating carb rich food once in a while.

I was 115 kilos in October 2013 , dropped to 80 kilos in October 2014. My waist line dropped from 44 inches to 36 inches. HDL, LDL and HbA1c levels are brilliant. Up until i dropped 30 kilos i did not walk even for a km or did any weight training , the entire weight loss was by ketogenic diet. Medically i am underweight but i am happy with what i am.

I have been off keto for 6 weeks due to a surgery and US trip. Started keto today, i weigh 90 and i am 100% sure that i will drop the 10 kilos in less than a month.

I have other friends who are doing same across India and 1 friend is in the US, 3 of us are from Bangalore. If you wanna catch up with me or others PM me, we mee(a)t every alternate week.

Last edited by mjumrani : 17th November 2014 at 12:43. Reason: More information on weight loss
Old 17th November 2014, 12:40   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
How is it different from walking or running on ground?
Wind resistance?
Quote:
Even i was wondering!!! Had to ask here because one of the gym trainer has informed this to my friend.
Now i am sure i wont heed to these type of comments. Now when comes to treadmill, which is better? Manual or motorised. Any particular brand to consider? Hope this is the right thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
If the treadmill has spring suspension, then i don't think it would cause injury in the long run.

coming to the difference between running on treadmill v/s ground, my reasoning is that - On a treadmill, one is just jumping at the same place (because the belt is running) and NOT pushing the ground to move forward.
If you run on the ground, your legs are actually pushing the ground to keep the next step and then the other and the running continues.

Try it out. I surely felt the difference.. And, yeah! you are right on the wind factor.
Quote:
How effective is the treadmill on keeping ourselves fit. Learnt from a friend that running walking on treadmill causes problem in legs at a later stage.
Yes, using treadmill is not recommended.

I've read somewhere that when running on a treadmill, body's COG (Centre of gravity) is primarily trying to get in sync with the machine when you try and balance yourself from falling off, hence this way your knees are affected (not immediately but down the line after a decade or so), while when you are walking on the ground you don't have to TRY and sync with the Earth's Centre of Gravity since we are all in sync with it by default (you don't lose balance and fall, do you?).
Note: There are anti-G (anti gravity) treadmills too, but don't know if they are commercially available. They are mostly used for recuperation.

Weight loss is primarily achieved by burning stored fat. Stored fat can only be burnt by the supply of MORE oxygen. So basically you only lose fat when your heart starts beating twice as fast for about 30-45 mins a day. The exercises which helping in accelerating the heartbeat are called Cardiovascular exercises, they can either be Swimming, jogging, brisk walking, running etc. However, Cardio alone will not help in losing weight, you need to do weight training too. So hit the gym for about 30-45 mins and top it with 30-45 mins of brisk walking/jogging/running on your way back home.
Old 17th November 2014, 13:02   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledsoul View Post
I've read somewhere that when running on a treadmill, body's COG (Centre of gravity) is primarily trying to get in sync with the machine when you try and balance yourself from falling off, hence this way your knees are affected (not immediately but down the line after a decade or so), while when you are walking on the ground you don't have to TRY and sync with the Earth's Centre of Gravity since we are all in sync with it by default (you don't lose balance and fall, do you?).
There is no difference between running on ground vs mechanized treadmill if we go by physics/mechanics.
The only minor difference are what has been highlighted by amitk26
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3567825

Quote:
So basically you only lose fat when your heart starts beating twice as fast for about 30-45 mins a day. The exercises which helping in accelerating the heartbeat are called Cardiovascular exercises, they can either be Swimming, jogging, brisk walking, running etc.
Cardio does burn extra fat but it is very minimal compared to what your body burn throughout the day just to keep running your brain, heart, kidneys, pancreas, intestines, liver etc.

Can you check up your source of information for cardio and ask them what is the calories per hour expense of walking, running, swimming etc at sustainable speeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
In a nutshell you are feeding your body with 5% carbs, 20-25% protein and 70-75% fat based on your dietary requirement.
Did you by any chance face constipation issues?
Old 17th November 2014, 13:05   #1134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You can eat a lot of fibre (veggies for eg). That should take care of it I think.
Old 17th November 2014, 13:19   #1135
BHPian

Quote:

Sometimes but nothing serious.
Old 18th November 2014, 11:46   #1136
BHPian

I have got a couple of PM's asking for information on Ketogenic diet, instead of mailing or PMing them individually i am sharing it here so that it is useful to everyone. The post is going to be long , @mods if that is a problem please go ahead and split the post into 2.

If you have a doctor in the house or have a doctor friend do not follow the diet or at-least restrain from telling them from what you are eating to loose weight, there is a high chance that the doctor will have endless arguments with you. I have faced this situation and still facing it.

1) What is Ketosis / Ketogenic diet ?

Ketosis, to put it simply, is the state in which you burn fat for fuel. The human body isn’t stupid, it will burn what it has in most abundance that yields the most energy for its volume. Carbs (some) burn up quick but are packed with INTENSE fuel that yield large bursts of energy. Compare this to an energy drink that a lot of modern culture seems to adore. Fat and protein burn slowly and allow a steady stream of energy; your energy levels won’t soon crash because your body can’t get rid of it near as fast as carbohydrates.

Ketosis also helps regulate your blood without complications. Involving complex carbs into your diet causes your body to heighten your blood sugar and as a result produce insulin. This stuff is nasty in large amounts; consider it to be your blood’s very own personal, fat-kicking police force. High blood sugar is interpreted as TOXIC by your body, so the insulin regulates your blood to cleanse it. Soon, though, your body starts struggling to keep up; when you take high amounts of carbs (sugar) and the insulin cant keep up....your body converts sugar to fat and insulin stores it in cells. Your body is capable of regulating your blood sugar on its own without help when you aren’t mainlining so much sucrose. Ketogenic diets avoid such problems!

Source : Keto in a Nutshell

2) What about my cholesterol levels, am i not going to die soon.?

There is no evidence linking ANY bad cholesterol or heart disease with animal fat. Early human beings ate more than 5 times the modern recommended intake of animal fat and protein; do not worry about high anything while on Keto other than energy levels.

Source : Keto in a Nutshell

Please watch all the videos below understand the science behind ketogenic diet / LCHF diet.

1)

2)

3)

4)

Foods Allowed

Source of fat and Protein

1) All meats with no discrimination, including organ meats.
2) Butter.
3) Ghee.
4) Cheese.
5) Coconut Oil.
6) Palm Oil.
7) Paneer.
8) Ranch Sauce.
9) Mayonnaise
10) All kinds of eggs ( with yellow)

Vegetables

1) French Beans.
2) Capsicum.
3) Lettuce.
4) Jalapenos.
5) Olives.
6) Cauliflower.
7) Cabbage.
8) Broccoli.
9) Cucumber.
10) Mushrooms.
11) Okra.
12) Brinjal..
14) Celery.
15) Asparagus.
16) Garlic.
17) Leeks.
18) All green leafy stuff like all palaks.

Liquids
1) Unlimited black coffee ( No sugar) is allowed.
2) Unlimited salt lime soda.
3) Water.

No other food is allowed apart from what is mentioned above.

1 Gram Fat : 9 calories.

1 Gram Protein : 4.5 Calories.

Ghee, butter , cheese, Mayonnaise should be of full fat and not low fat or made from oils. Strictly no low fat products.Milk and alcohol to be avoided for first 8 weeks.

Shift to Low sodium salt, use as much salt required you don't have to reduce salt usage. Low sodium salt has more potassium and less sodium. Potassium is needed to help you in not getting cramps. Please starting taking 1 multivitamin tablet to get all the micro nutrients. You do not need extra fiber for bowel movements.

There is no restriction on calories. Eat only when you are hungry and stop eating once hunger goes away. Healthy human needs 2000 calories a day. Even if u eat 2200 calories u will still loose weight but if u want to speed up weight loss then it has to be less than 2000 calories. I eat about 1400-1600 calories. No starving please. It is difficult for 3-5 days but once body adjusts to changes it will be fine. You might feel irritated , headaches , little fever but all will go away in less than a week.

You can check the level of ketones in your body by using Bayer Keto DiaStix. This is a lifestyle change and not a one off thing. You will have to follow it for life but the level of strictness / food allowed will change. Please take pre and post pictures of yourself and maintain a daily weight log.

PS: Before starting the diet get a complete blood work done at any diagnostic center. Get the same tests done for every 3 months. HDL / LDL levels may go high while loosing the fat but they will return to normal levels once ideal height to weight ratio is reached.

Last edited by mjumrani : 18th November 2014 at 11:50. Reason: Typos
Old 18th November 2014, 12:17   #1137
BHPian

I read this article on why belly fat is the last to go and found it useful. Here it is
http://www.naturalnews.com/006981_ab..._fat_body.html
Old 18th November 2014, 12:42   #1138
Senior - BHPian

I would like to reiterate the point that weight loss should never be the ultimate goal the final goal should be fitness and health.

Weight loss can be achieved even by TB or aids infection however I am sure that is not we are looking at.

You can device some litmus tests to check stamina , strength , balance and core strength. Such as ability to run at 10 kmph for 10 minutes , at-least 30 push ups in one minute, standing on one feet with limbs stretched for minimum 1 minutes , Staying in plank position for 30 seconds or more.

Add medical parameters such as lipid profile , BP , blood sugar level to find if you are healthy or not.

Any drastic weight loss measure should not impact any of these parameters and IMHO weight-loss program should revolve around improving these dipstick measures.
Old 18th November 2014, 13:35   #1139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

Add medical parameters such as lipid profile , BP , blood sugar level to find if you are healthy or not.

Any drastic weight loss measure should not impact any of these parameters and IMHO weight-loss program should revolve around improving these dipstick measures.
To be honest, a person who is actually fat / obese will always clock better blood test readings after losing the blubber - whichever way he follows:
1. keto diet
2. fasting
3. eating 100 times a day but only 1 teaspoon of food
4. eating only raw fruits and vegetables
5. low intensity exercises
6. high intensity exercises
7. eating only meat
8. eating only carb rich food (typical veg diet)
9. consuming "health foods"

There is nothing magical about any of the above dieting philosophies.
As long as your intake of food&drinks is lower than your body's rate of energy expenditure.

And the rest are just performance figures (like x pushups or y pullups), which are genetic to a some extent and the state of training to the other extent.

Last edited by alpha1 : 18th November 2014 at 13:40.
Old 18th November 2014, 14:08   #1140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T

And the rest are just performance figures (like x pushups or y pullups), which are genetic to a some extent and the state of training to the other extent.
Not really lot of these are required as indicator of minimum for good functioning of body.

In other words if you really don't want any physical improvement why exactly weight needs to be reduced ? As an extreme example we can consider a muscular heavy weight boxer and an obese person of same height both can have same weight but difference is in the performance.

For a more realistic day to day case it is comparison of a man who can walk 5 Km, climb stair and can do routine work without raising BP / pulse versus another who maybe thinner but can't carry on some of these normal functions
with out getting tired.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks