Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Who will win FIFA World Cup 2010?
Algeria 0 0%
Argentina 73 31.20%
Australia 1 0.43%
Brazil 24 10.26%
Cameroon 0 0%
Chile 0 0%
Côte d'Ivoire 2 0.85%
Denmark 0 0%
England 4 1.71%
France 1 0.43%
Germany 58 24.79%
Ghana 0 0%
Greece 0 0%
Honduras 0 0%
Italy 0 0%
Japan 0 0%
Korea North 1 0.43%
Korea South 0 0%
Mexico 1 0.43%
Netherlands 20 8.55%
New Zealand 0 0%
Nigeria 0 0%
Paraguay 0 0%
Portugal 3 1.28%
Serbia 1 0.43%
Slovakia 0 0%
Slovenia 1 0.43%
South Africa 0 0%
Spain 41 17.52%
Switzerland 0 0%
United States 0 0%
Uruguay 3 1.28%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:27   #121
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
England and USA through.
Did England deserve to qualify? Not in my opinion. I really didnt see any sparks in the way they played against Slovania.

It was only natural for Rooney to be substituted during the game, considering how he underperformed.
Old 24th June 2010, 02:41   #122
Senior - BHPian

What I observed about this World Cup is that the quality of game and players, they have come down a lot. There are few quality goals, they are blaming on the ball but its just utter rubbish. Pele, Platini, Baggio, batistuta and those whole lot did do magic with balls that were made with primitive technology.

Its better less said about the standard of referees.

Maybe players are now more commercialized. I feel it does not matter if their team/country wins or loose, they are paid well.
Old 24th June 2010, 13:55   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
What I observed about this World Cup is that the quality of game and players, they have come down a lot. There are few quality goals, they are blaming on the ball but its just utter rubbish. Pele, Platini, Baggio, batistuta and those whole lot did do magic with balls that were made with primitive technology.

Its better less said about the standard of referees.

Maybe players are now more commercialized. I feel it does not matter if their team/country wins or loose, they are paid well.
+ 1 to that. The Ball is definitely an issue but that shouldn't be an excuse for poor performance from the so called star players.

I feel that a lot of them are not giving it their all for the country. They are happy to get fat pay checks for turning out in their club colors. FIFA should ensure that all club Football is stopped at least 45 days before this premier event so that the players can get adequate rest and the Coaches get enough time to work on the tactics and get the players to gel as a team.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:01   #124
Senior - BHPian

Or might be the case that the Defence is just getting stronger. I mean the players like Messi/Ronaldo were not given an inch to move and brought down most of the time. Messi was really unlucky in many a times this worldcup. But yes, number of goals have reduced a lot and somehow I too felt that the flare was missing in many teams.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:04   #125
Senior - BHPian

England's traditional nemesis Germany is back to haunt them. hahaha. The British press must be going nuts already. Anyone remember the 1996 Euro semis? "Achtung, surrender!". I hope this one goes into penalties as well. I can already see a quivering Lampard and Barry kicking the ball high over the net.

Last edited by Gilead : 24th June 2010 at 15:06.
Old 24th June 2010, 21:33   #126
Senior - BHPian

One of the biggest matches of the World Cup.
Italy has been defeated by Slovakia 3-2. The match was amazing in the last 30 minutes but awesome play by Slovakia and missed chances plus sad defending by Italy led to this.

Its official, Italy is out of the cup.

Last edited by sammyboy : 24th June 2010 at 21:35.
Old 24th June 2010, 21:55   #127
BHPian

@last 15 minutes: Italy play a wonderful game when they don't fall at the slightest touch
Old 24th June 2010, 22:01   #128
BHPian

Italy vs Slovakia was an absolute thriller!!!, the best game in this world cup, also so some clever goals.
Old 25th June 2010, 13:42   #129
Team-BHP Support

I was watching the Italy vs Slovakia match and thought it was a rather drab affair. i then switched to watching the other match. Few minutes later, i flip channels once again, and Slovakia have scored. Some time later, the cable goes off, and i am unable to watch the match. This morning i come to know the match was quite thrilling towards the end!

Italy have just themselves to blame for their loss, considering how many chances they failed to take, and also concentrating more on falling down rather than staying upright. As an Italian fan, i felt they were horrible in this WC.

I switched on the TV for the Japan vs Denmark game expecting to watch a few minutes, and then sleep. But, Japan (who i have always supported in Asian football) really held my attention, and their dead ball skills, along with swift short passes made for some really entertaining viewing! I was pleased when they retained their lead, and also added salt to the Danes injury by the third goal. The rather half-hearted penalty from the Danes only showed how much they were not into it.

Looking forward to the Brazil vs Portugal game tonight.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th June 2010 at 13:44.
Old 25th June 2010, 13:52   #130
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
Italy vs Slovakia was an absolute thriller!!!, the best game in this world cup, also so some clever goals.
But many fans would have been heartbroken over the shocking results
Old 25th June 2010, 14:34   #131
Senior - BHPian

Italy, Denmark and France are already out!! this world cup is really unpredictable.

Spain's fate will be decided today!!

Last edited by Latheesh : 25th June 2010 at 14:35.
Old 25th June 2010, 23:30   #132
Senior - BHPian

Brasil vs. Portugal was a disappointment. They should have scored over Portugal instead of letting the match go to an equalizer. That would have put Ivory Coast to pass on to the next round. You know some things come back to haunt you.
Old 26th June 2010, 03:10   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Brasil vs. Portugal was a disappointment. They should have scored over Portugal instead of letting the match go to an equalizer. That would have put Ivory Coast to pass on to the next round. You know some things come back to haunt you.
Even if Portugal have lost this they would've gone thru due to goal difference. They scored 7 goals and none against them. So I don't think they would've missed the bus even if they had lost. Anyway, the game was not very exciting.
Spain is through after some tense moments against Chile. Chile defense seems to be their weak point.
Old 26th June 2010, 10:11   #134
BHPian

To qualify, Ivory Coast needed 8-0 win over DPRK, if Portugal lost.

Good to have Spain v Portugal in R2. Also Germany v England

Only 6 euro teams have reached R2 and they are all playing each other - Ned v Slovakia is the 3rd. Only 3 euro teams will reach the quarters. Is this a record low for this format? There used to be a time when 6-7 euros were in quarters along with Brazil.

All 5 of the south americans have qualified. Has this happened before?

Uruguay has a good chance to reach the semis. They may be the surprise package.
Old 26th June 2010, 10:16   #135
Senior - BHPian

I see an Uruguay x Brazil and Argentina x Spain Semifinals.
Brazil is in better position to make to Finals, than Argentina, who has all the biggies on their way i.e., Mexico, England or Germany before reaching to meet Portugal or Spain, which again is tough. Brazil is truly lucky here.
Anyways, Argentina / Spain Versus Brazil seem to be on the cards for Finals, if there are no surprises. But from now on, you never know, someone can do another "Italy" this time too.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 26th June 2010 at 10:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks