Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 14th January 2017, 11:18   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Valet Drivers = Your car's worst nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Not so very wrong. The principle is correct, just the distance is a bit much. less than a foot will usually do.

That two-foot drop will do less harm than the really wrong and all-too-common method of pushing it shut.
Dropping the bonnet from a height may be right for the newer cars, having come from Amby and Bolero, I would differ. Ambassador's bonnet was quite heavy as was the Bolero's. All one needed to do is to place the bonnet and press it firmly along the rim.

More pertinent is the fact that the bonnet hold/release mechanism should be good to hold the bonnet in place. I dont think any bonnet would need a drop from height if the mechanism is good in that particular car.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 12:59   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Dropping the bonnet from a height may be right for the newer cars. ...
It depends how you define newer. I learnt the lesson over thirty years ago, but my father (born 1913), ultimate authority of many aspects of my driving life, was a pusher, not a dropper.

So newer, yes: last three or four decades only
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 17:02   #183
BHPian

Valet Parking is not to be trusted. Period. I remember one case when I gave my Pajero to be parked, but the guy seemed to be trying to fiddle with the 4x4 lever instead of just using the Gear Shifter! Told him to get out of the vehicle, and parked the vehicle myself. From then on, never could trust a Valet to park. One occasion when the guy attempting to adjust the ORVMs with his hands without realising they are electrically operated!
No chances need be taken anymore.
Unavowed_X9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 18:35   #184
Senior - BHPian

I dislike the way all these valets park. Also the chaps at these tyre centres and detailing centres and car showrooms and car garages.
All of them accelerate unnecessarily and brake hard and then they drive in a jerky manner.
I NEVER give my cars to any of them to drive - only to specific, trusted people, like one driver in the Skoda garage and one Supervisor there. No one else is allowed to touch my car.
The fellows at Tyre Empire HSR are nice enough but I prefer to put my own car on the ramp by my own effort.
The fellows at 3M HSR too are nice but I don't like their jerky driving habits so even there, if at all I go, I do the same and put the car on the ramp myself.
Car Showrooms?
By Heaven! Most irritating indeed!
Hotels? Forget it! No way, except perhaps at hotels where I know the GM's personally and even then as far as possible, I prefer parking myself.
Restaurants? Never! I would rather park myself and walk back a distance to get to the restaurant.
We have in India an innate problem with respecting other people's property. I really detest this attitude.

Ref dropping the bonnet from an inch or two above when closing it vs placing the bonnet down gently and pressing it shut. As per my experience, one can do
either, irrespective of the car one is driving. I mostly drop the bonnet from an inch above the catch, in my Skoda and similarly, in my Gypsy. But whichever method one uses, one should take care while doing it.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th January 2017 at 18:38.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote