Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2016, 17:00   #961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Hello Folks,

I own a 2013 GT TDi 1.6 L .Unfortunately due to work requirements I am away and my parents use my car. It recently had issues with the suspension bushes - they had worn out. We took it to the service centre, they agreed to change the suspension bushes but they also said they would need to change the steering rack. They agreed to change it under extended warranty. All went fine, at least that's what I thought.

After we got the car back from the service centre, it started having vibrations. My brother took it to the service centre again, but this time the advisor first resisted accepting the issue. We had to explain it to him that this never happened before and it started after they changed the steering rack. Finally they accepted the issue and agreed to change the steering column under warranty.

It took around a week to get the part and another 3-4 days for it to be fitted. My brother got the car yesterday and he said the issue has been resolved and there are no vibration.

When this issue occurred, I tried to search it over here to see if anyone else had faced it. But yesterday I saw a few posts in the Vento official review thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-553.html
Just coming back from the dealership after reporting a rattle on the steering rack. My car is still is warranty but it seems I may run into issues claiming this as I use 205/55 R15 tyres.

The services outlet that I deal with does not do warranty repairs so I will have to take this up with the main dealer and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
His Polo has crossed 1.75L km with no major issues to report:

Attachment 1476738

He swears by the Mobil Delvac 1 engine oil.
Hi Gannu,

Did you friend have an steering rack rattle issues? If yes, could you provide some info on how he got it fixed?

VW has a labor cost calculator in which it now mentions the standard labor operations at each service interval.

http://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/value...alculator.html

Thanks VW.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by ampere : 20th March 2016 at 09:11. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 19th March 2016, 21:20   #962
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Have to replace Rotors and pads during the first service for my VW POLO (15K)....Would like to keep aftermarket as an option, if that could improve the braking efficiency further. Any recommended make that is available in Chennai & its approximate cost..anyone?
Old 19th March 2016, 23:25   #963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Have to replace Rotors and pads during the first service for my VW POLO (15K)....Would like to keep aftermarket as an option, if that could improve the braking efficiency further. Any recommended make that is available in Chennai & its approximate cost..anyone?
Though brake pads and rotors are wear and tear parts, but they certainly don't require replacement at 1st service at 15,000 kms unless you use brakes heavily.

Usually standard time for replacing are:
Brake Pads: 30,000 Kms
Rotors: 60,000 Kms

Have a through check up before you give a go ahead.

If you are still looking for after market option, the best option is Brembo for both pads and rotors.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 00:42   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Just coming back from the dealership after reporting a rattle on the steering rack. My car is still is warranty but it seems I may run into issues claiming this as I use 205/55 R15 tyres.

The services outlet that I deal with does not do warranty repairs so I will have to take this up with the main dealer and see how it goes.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Shibujp, do not go with the slightest of the feeling that the issue has come up due to a changed tyre. This is a known issue and VW service centre will not accept it at the first go as they would like to get the margin on the parts and the labour charge even if they know that the issue should be resolved under warranty.

One way is to be very firm but polite with the service advisor and state your point that this is a known issue and its been experienced with many even without a changed tyre.

The part number of the steering column is given below, I am pretty sure that even the Indian Polo will be having the same part number. You can check it and confirm it with your service advisor.
https://www.partsbase.org/vw/polo-de...eering-column/

One thing that you should note that this steering column will be shared with all the Polos even if its a trend-line / comfort-line / high-line or the GT.
The tyre size of the trend-line is 175/65 R14" and that of comfort-line/ High-line and GT are 185/60 R15. If your 205/55 R15 is the sole reason for the rattle then they should not have used the same part for their cars which they sell from the showroom with different tyre sizes.

The polos sold in Europe has an option of upgrading the tyres from the authorized dealer itself. You can choose from a 16" or even a 17". I am pretty sure that they are not going to change the steering column depending on the various tyre sizes.
You can see the details of the car configuration in the below link
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/polo...eels/1955/1957

In short be sure of yourself that the issue did not happen due to an upgraded tyre. So be confident and firm but polite and nice to the service advisor and I am sure that the issue will be resolved under warranty.

I understand that your car is a 2013-14 GT TDi, mine is a 2013 GT TDi. My feeling is that this is a manufacturing defect with the cars made in that batch and more owners have started seeing this as time passes.
rejoycjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 08:38   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Though brake pads and rotors are wear and tear parts, but they certainly don't require replacement at 1st service at 15,000 kms unless you use brakes heavily.

Have a through check up before you give a go ahead.

If you are still looking for after market option, the best option is Brembo for both pads and rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Polo TDI has covered 11,000 kms in 9 months. Been running on 205 Continental MC5 tyres.

Have noticed when braked at speeds roughly in excess of 70 kmph, I could see vibrations in brake pedal. This was there for quiet sometime....may be I have been noticing since 2-3k kms on ODO. Most of the runs are within heavy traffic region, so the chances of experiencing this is rare, except when I take it on highways...so attention to it got postponed every time -:(

Sent it to a garage for oil change at 7500 kms as it runs on a remapped version, so prefer to change oil at 7.5K interval. Mechanic observed the same issue & suggested to get the front rotors refaced. Indicated a cost of Rs.4K to get this done. Never had similar problems with any of my previous cars so soon.

Not sure whether this will be covered under warranty..anyway planning to get it to the service station.
Will check out Brembo.....their response is very slow in WA. Have to call them directly and check it out
Old 20th March 2016, 11:28   #966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Shibujp, do not go with the slightest of the feeling that the issue has come up due to a changed tyre. This is a known issue and VW service centre will not accept it at the first go as they would like to get the margin on the parts and the labour charge even if they know that the issue should be resolved under warranty.

One way is to be very firm but polite with the service advisor and state your point that this is a known issue and its been experienced with many even without a changed tyre.

The part number of the steering column is given below, I am pretty sure that even the Indian Polo will be having the same part number. You can check it and confirm it with your service advisor.
https://www.partsbase.org/vw/polo-de...eering-column/

One thing that you should note that this steering column will be shared with all the Polos even if its a trend-line / comfort-line / high-line or the GT.
The tyre size of the trend-line is 175/65 R14" and that of comfort-line/ High-line and GT are 185/60 R15. If your 205/55 R15 is the sole reason for the rattle then they should not have used the same part for their cars which they sell from the showroom with different tyre sizes.

The polos sold in Europe has an option of upgrading the tyres from the authorized dealer itself. You can choose from a 16" or even a 17". I am pretty sure that they are not going to change the steering column depending on the various tyre sizes.
You can see the details of the car configuration in the below link
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/polo...eels/1955/1957

In short be sure of yourself that the issue did not happen due to an upgraded tyre. So be confident and firm but polite and nice to the service advisor and I am sure that the issue will be resolved under warranty.

I understand that your car is a 2013-14 GT TDi, mine is a 2013 GT TDi. My feeling is that this is a manufacturing defect with the cars made in that batch and more owners have started seeing this as time passes.
My thoughts exactly on the European Polo configurations. In fact I did use those tyre configs to guide me on my choice as well. The 17 incher use 215 spec tyres in UK.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 23rd March 2016, 19:32   #967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
VW has a labor cost calculator in which it now mentions the standard labor operations at each service interval.

http://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/value...alculator.html

Thanks VW.

Drive on,
Shibu.
This is really good. They should have put up the labor operations done at the free inspection (7500 KM) time as well. Based on my driving I expect to clock up years faster than kilometers - in such a case I guess the labor cost should stay at the same KM slot every year till it runs enough to move to the next slot?

Based on this I think we should clearly insist that they stick to only what's mentioned in this table and not do anything extra unless they get explicit instruction/permission from the owner. I plan to do this and will refuse to pay for anything extra done by them without intimation.
Old 24th March 2016, 13:20   #968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspatil View Post
Based on this I think we should clearly insist that they stick to only what's mentioned in this table and not do anything extra unless they get explicit instruction/permission from the owner. I plan to do this and will refuse to pay for anything extra done by them without intimation.
Be clear with them that this is what you want. Spell it out.

It is worth letting them tell what extras are available, and quote the cost. We might even accept some, but inertia (you didn't say no) selling of stuff like 3m services is not acceptable.
Old 6th April 2016, 09:39   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My Polo is just over 3.5 Yrs old, and I am still using stock tyres brake pads, and all wearing parts. At 56000 km, as I was planning a long trip I had checked eveything, my front brake pads had a little over 8 mm wearing surface remaining, new pads have 14 mm. Tyres have average of 3.5mm depth.
Manual recommends replacement of both when 2 mm wearing surface remains. I will be replacing all four tyres just before the 60,000 service which will be due in a month or so, spare wheel is new, as I had torn one tyre, and then onwards kept the replacement as spare, and followed four tyre rotation.
I don't believe in replacing consumables like clutch, brakepads, tyres at fixed km's. Fluids like oil, coolent, and brake oil need replacement at fixed time & km interval. Tyres about 4 Yrs or when tread depth is aproaching 3 mm.

Rahul
Old 6th April 2016, 17:11   #970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
I don't believe in replacing consumables like clutch, brakepads, tyres at fixed km's. Fluids like oil, coolent, and brake oil need replacement at fixed time & km interval. Tyres about 4 Yrs or when tread depth is aproaching 3 mm.
The kms quoted by me are from manual for average life of brake pads and rotors.

Since they are wear and tear part, their usable life all depends on who is behind the wheel and his driving style. My Vento TDi 5 yr old 23500 km old is still on stock factory fitted brake pads and rotors. They still look good enough for another 23000 kms.
Old 6th April 2016, 18:59   #971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The kms quoted by me are from manual for average life of brake pads and rotors.
Since they are wear and tear part, their usable life all depends on who is behind the wheel and his driving style.
Very true my driving experience is a bit over 24 years, of that 18 years from the third year onwards has been 50k - 60k per year, in my second car (Esteem) I remember I used to replace pads every second service, but then on brake lining quality as well as my driving may have improved considerably, I had achieved 90,000 km pad life in my Innova, and tyres with decent tread were replaced only as they had run a lakh km.

Quote:
My Vento TDi 5 yr old 23500 km old is still on stock factory fitted brake pads and rotors. They still look good enough for another 23000 kms.
I have stopped saying they look good enough for..... and started checking lining thickness with a vernier. If you see post 951 and previous posts about that car, Gannu_1 's friend who has clocked the shown mileage was on stock pads till 1.5 Lakh km.

Rahul
Old 6th April 2016, 19:10   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
I have stopped saying they look good enough for..... and started checking lining thickness with a vernier. If you see post 951 and previous posts about that car, Gannu_1 's friend who has clocked the shown mileage was on stock pads till 1.5 Lakh km.
Well even I too had a look at front brake pads and they have at least 6 mm of thickness remaining.

That 1.5 lac is on highways, that's why such high mileage on stock pads. In city running, it would be near impossible.

Brake pads and rotors wear depends on usage and driving style.
Old 6th April 2016, 19:23   #973
BHPian

Hit the edge of sidewalk on a one way bridge. I had to go up on a steep to pass that bridge and then suddenly footpath appeared from no where. First, i thought it was bumper but thank god it was alloys :/ I hit at a pretty low speed(5kmph approx), so hope it didn't bend.
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-imageuploadedbyteambhp1459950641.639285.jpg
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-imageuploadedbyteambhp1459950666.450990.jpg

Is there any way to hide the marks?? :(
Old 6th April 2016, 23:44   #974
Distinguished - BHPian

I expect there are wheel doctors out there!

I'm sure that the roughness can be got rid of with the usual metal-work implements of files and abrasive paper but, and it is a big but for the final appearance: am I right in thinking that these alloys have some sort of clearcoat finish?

I'd guess that the wheels should be rebalanced after such damage/repair, as metal has been removed.
Old 6th April 2016, 23:49   #975
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid93 View Post
Is there any way to hide the marks??
May be this video can be of some help to you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I expect there are wheel doctors out there!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks