Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2012, 12:24   #1411
BHPian

Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Hello All, this is my OHC! Just clicked the pic at inorbit mall, vashi!

Update : it's been 5 days on sequential CNG now and I m enjoying it, the car does an average of 80 kms everyday. And it's giving me 16-17 km per kg within city- performance wise it's about 10% less especially when I want to really race quick. In normal driving conditions there is hardly any difference.

Other things : it's a lovato kit. Takes 10kg gas at most, costed 52k with all rto work.

The car before adding CNG used to idle at 650rpm. When you put the A.C. on it goes upto 700rpm . This my CNG installers said needs to be tuned and with it the performance on CNG will also go up. Can someone suggest where to get the timings adjusted and tuned to perfection?

On a side note, in sequential kits the CNG ECU simply copies whatever is the program on original ECU.

Looking forward to your comments on this thanks

Attachment 1021210
Hey Frontosa ,thanks for sharing , it was great speaking to you the other day ,will update you soon as i can fix a date on the odo lighting mod , (was ill for a couple of days )

The car looks superb for the price you picked it up !!
some pics of the Kit installed plz , and more pics of the car ?

10 kg capacity , which means approx 150km per full tank , you would need to visit the pump every 2 days considering your daily commute of 80km.

Cheers!
Old 4th December 2012, 12:50   #1412
BHPian

Hey fellas
Once more I am in a situation where your technical advice is required.
My car engine has become noisy, whereas there is no problem with its performance, Its just noisy. How one can reduce it's noise level?
I had heard that there are some bearing changing which can reduce the engine sound.
Is it so!?! Which are those bearings? I don't need any piston job.
Please suggest some solution.

Thanks!
Old 4th December 2012, 14:33   #1413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Hey fellas
Once more I am in a situation where your technical advice is required.
My car engine has become noisy, whereas there is no problem with its performance,!
How many kms your car has run ?
Check/adjust the valve/tappet adjustment.
Also check the engine mounts.
Old 4th December 2012, 16:45   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
How many kms your car has run ?
Check/adjust the valve/tappet adjustment.
Also check the engine mounts.
Car has run almost 1 L.
Tappet setting has been adjusted.
You talking about engine head valve, ain't it? How is that done? Is it timing, that we usually call?
Engine mounts are okay, got them checked by 2/3 mechanics.

Last edited by Honda Monk : 4th December 2012 at 16:47.
Old 4th December 2012, 17:22   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Car has run almost 1 L.
Tappet setting has been adjusted.
You talking about engine head valve, ain't it? How is that done? Is it timing, that we usually call?.
Yes, it's the engine head valve.
Valves are adjusted according to the tolerance levels for the intake and exhaust clearence.
This has to be very precise.
For more info check here
http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=6340
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 17:36   #1416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Yes, it's the engine head valve.
Valves are adjusted according to the tolerance levels for the intake and exhaust clearence.
This has to be very precise.
For more info check here
http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=6340

Thats a great piece friend.
I believe it's the same we call tapet settings ain't it?
I have got his set too.
Whats is that bearing thing? engine bearing or like!?!
Old 5th December 2012, 18:52   #1417
BHPian

People give some guidance, I don't want to get my complete engine redone. There must be some way to reduce the engine noise level. Mechanic is suggesting complete overhaul and I am avoiding it.
SO technical guidance is required.
Old 6th December 2012, 16:03   #1418
BHPian

Use one of the Xado products. It DOES help a lot in reducing engine wear and noise. I've personally experienced it.
ankitahuja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 16:52   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Use one of the Xado products. It DOES help a lot in reducing engine wear and noise. I've personally experienced it.
Which one ankit?
Which one had you used? and How long it stayed?
Old 6th December 2012, 22:11   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
Which one ankit?
Which one had you used? and How long it stayed?
Please refer to this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post522519

Read the next few posts to see the product used as well. It lasted 4 years approx! You can now get this for much much cheaper from the US.
ankitahuja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 21:02   #1421
BHPian

Ankit, any idea if this is good to be used on Honda Civic Automatic version? Which product are you recommending to be used from Xado range?
Has anyone used it on Civic, please share your experiences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Old 10th December 2012, 17:13   #1422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek5870 View Post
Ankit, any idea if this is good to be used on Honda Civic Automatic version? Which product are you recommending to be used from Xado range?
Has anyone used it on Civic, please share your experiences.
I've replied to you on the other thread. Let's keep this one specifically for OHC only. Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 01:24   #1423

Hi All,
I recently bought an OHC Vtech 2003 make, from a dealer in Mumbai and now have ran into a problem of broken crank pulley. Being new to this forum I was searching if anyone else had the same issue, and fortunately landed on this thread.

I saw a similar issue posted by AnkitAhuja a few pages back and now I am posting mine. Many thanks to Ankit who was really helping to talk to me at 11pm in the night and explaining me his problem and how he fixed it back. I am a total novice with cars and its internals. This being my first car, I was little worried until I talked to Ankit who adviced me to post this here for more valuable suggestions.

The problem:
I last drove the car to Powai from my home in Goregaon(E) on saturday night(last weekend)when it was all fine. While returning at 3am I hit a speed breaker (which I saw very late due to bad lighting on the road) bit hardly. I was driving with my windows down an AC off. I paused for a minute after the bad bump to see if all is ok. Again started the car and headed back home. Drove back another 5kms to home and parked it. I dont recall getting any sounds after that bump and could get to home without any hassle. Only thing I worried at the time was my braking sytem which I thought needed a look.

So that day went by. The next day I started the car with AC on and it started making some noise. I was in a hurry, so I left the car and went by an Auto for the work thinking to get it checked later. Monday I did not use the car completely. Tuesday I decided to take off from office and get the car checked at Solitaire Honda(Borivali). I tried starting the car and it started making louder noise than before. I opened the bonnet to see if I caould see any issue. To my surprise I saw there are 3 belts to the right hand side of the engine very loose, almost geting out of thier pulleys. I also saw down below a broken rim from the pulley which was just hanging loose and was causing the rattling noise when I started the engine.

I called a local mechanic to have a look if he could fix the car so that I could take it to the service station. He told me that the main engine crank pulley which holds the 3 belts is broken and needs a replacement. He called up some shop in opera house and told me that it would cost about 3300 rupees to replace with new one. Then I called up Solitaire Honda to get some advice. The SA told me that its a costlier affair to replace crank pulley about 10-15K plus towing charges. After talking to him for a few minutes, he gave me frank opinion to get it replaced locally if possible as it would be cheaper. So I persisted with this local mechanic who confidently said to replace it in a day. I gave him 3500 to get the new pulley, he promptly called and ordered one.

Now the real problem starts, he started opening the bolt to which this crank pulley is attached to the engine. He tried very hard with his spanner and all to open it but failed after a number of attempts. He told me that this is the main bolt and is usually very tight and also it would not have been opened anytime before, so would take little more effort to get it loose. He went for lunch and came back after a couple of hours and continued trying to open it. Now we took the car to a nearby service area where he put it on a ramp and again tried to open. This time he got help from 2 more mechanics there but still no luck.
Now we took the car to his garage close by where he put some break oil and left to loose a bit. He tired all sorts of different tools, even beating with hammer and using a fire torch to heat it up. Nothing worked at all, and it could not be opened. Finally he told me that we'll put some oil and keep it overnight to try tomorrow. So I came back home feeling tired and a bit worried.

Next day(i.e today) I went to the office and in the afternoon called him up to get the status of the car. He said that he tried again in the morning but couldn't open it. So he ordered for a supposedly bigger and different spanner tool from Kurla from his friends garage there. He said that he'll again try with this is the evening and told me to relax and not worry at all. Now when I called him up late evening, he was still waiting for the new spanner and told me to wait for one more day. He again assured me that it will be done by tomorrow afternoon, an so here I am just waiting and hoping that it will be fixed.

In the night, I talked to Ankit who shared with me his experience with the same problem. I too fear that if the bolt gets broken in the process of opening, it would be more trouble to get the engine opened and then fix it correctly. Needless to say more money involved. Ankit already told me that the crank pulley should not cost more that 2000 bucks, for which I have already given3500Rs.

I am somehow getting a feeling that the mechanic is stalling me and will again quote me hefty sum. I wil see if he can open it in the morning without causing any damage, otherwise will get the car back and try someone else.

What should I do now? Need some advice/suggestions here. If anyone know any reliable and competent mechanic for Vtechs in Mumbai nearby Goregaon(E), I would highly appreciate that. Please let me know asap

Thanks in advance,
Vinay
ultimaate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 11:33   #1424
BHPian

I too have taken his advice few times and appreciate Ankit for his helpful nature.
Regarding your problem you are in Bombay and there are lots OHC fellows, try contacting shantanu/desmo/PranavT to know about a good garage and spare store.
Honda Monk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 11:56   #1425
Senior - BHPian

So Ankit is the official OHC trouble shooter with 24x7 services. I will also vouch for his helpful nature - sorry for going a bit OT

@ultimaate - i hope the mechanic has tried spraying WD40 or similar sprays available in the market to loosen nuts
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks