Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2011, 13:29   #661
Senior - BHPian

re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Yesterday i disconnected the Hella Relay and then drove, somewhat less fluctuations. Reached Office and disconnected battery and kept it for around 9 hours, then tried, lesser fluctuations. I then let the car idle, 1st round, engine died in less than 5 mins, 2nd round, it idled for around 10 minutes and then died. Post that did some mild revving for around 10Kms, reached home and let it idle, surprise surprise, idle was normal at around 900. Today morning, got the Hella Relay reconnected and drove, no fluctuations noticed. Funny Stuff that happens
Old 26th August 2011, 17:40   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Yesterday i disconnected the Hella Relay and then drove, somewhat less fluctuations. Reached Office and disconnected battery and kept it for around 9 hours, then tried, lesser fluctuations. I then let the car idle, 1st round, engine died in less than 5 mins, 2nd round, it idled for around 10 minutes and then died. Post that did some mild revving for around 10Kms, reached home and let it idle, surprise surprise, idle was normal at around 900. Today morning, got the Hella Relay reconnected and drove, no fluctuations noticed. Funny Stuff that happens

Congrats man !
I too faced this problem -
Before installing the FFE - the idle would fluctuate a bit , But after installation of the FFE its even more - i have been driving for 3months now with this problem , really irritating, i don't understand how an ECU reset will help resolve this, saying this cause i have tried this a few times but has not resulted in the problem getting solved - i guess its the ivac !

BTW - our cars always have the same problems

Currently the Driver side window is stuck it won't come down , i got the motor repaired a week back Rs 700 bucks , but in 2 days it conked off
again. car had become a no smoke zone thanks to this ..hehe

Best,

Ryan
Old 26th August 2011, 18:25   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz View Post
Congrats man !
I too faced this problem -
Before installing the FFE - the idle would fluctuate a bit , But after installation of the FFE its even more - i have been driving for 3months now with this problem , really irritating, i don't understand how an ECU reset will help resolve this, saying this cause i have tried this a few times but has not resulted in the problem getting solved - i guess its the ivac !

BTW - our cars always have the same problems

Currently the Driver side window is stuck it won't come down , i got the motor repaired a week back Rs 700 bucks , but in 2 days it conked off
again. car had become a no smoke zone thanks to this ..hehe

Best,

Ryan
Even my driver side glass gets stuck and i have to push it up. Each Motor costs approx 2500 and it seems you cant put the rear door motor up front. I dont think the motor can be repaired as these are all nearly 10 year old stuff. Try opening the door panel and spray some wd40, the winders catch moisture at times and this might help even though i havent tried it yet. One thing i noticed with this car is, too many stuff that can go wrong and to investigate the problem area can be a pain. My gypsy was great in this regard, just fill, shut it and forget it kind of no frills vehicle. Moreover i guess most problems also crop up during monsoon due to the moisture.

Regd idling, as all others have pointed, try checking those posts on the previous page and maybe it will help.
Old 30th August 2011, 20:35   #664
Senior - BHPian

The ECU Reset has worked for me. I did a 300Km trip from Mumbai to Kolad and Back over the extra rainy weekend. The car was beautifull to drive though it felt sluggish with AC on. Without AC, the car felt free of any burden. No idling issues faced. Suspension also held on well as most of the road was filled with potholes. Next to change are the Brake Pads.

Last edited by Desmosedici : 30th August 2011 at 20:41.
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:26   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The ECU Reset has worked for me. the car felt free of any burden. No idling issues faced.
Good to hear that the ECU reset has worked.
Yep OHC feels SLIGHTLY sluggish when the AC is on with full load.
Nothing much can be done...
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 13:40   #666
BHPian

I have a small sound coming from the rear right suspension area only on bad roads.On highways there is no sound. Doubting for a worn out bush . Is there anything else that needs to be checked. Planning for the 60,000 KM Service in few days .
Old 5th September 2011, 14:06   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_pm View Post
I have a small sound coming from the rear right suspension area only on bad roads.On highways there is no sound. Doubting for a worn out bush . Is there anything else that needs to be checked. Planning for the 60,000 KM Service in few days .
Usually it's the worn out bush(the bigger one) which makes this sound.
I too faced the same issue, replaced the entire rear rubber bushes. The sound vanished.
Better to go with OEM rubber bushes. They last long. Replace both the rear bushes.
Should cost you around 2K(for both sides) in Honda A.S.S.

Also please check the rear shocks condition too.
Old 5th September 2011, 14:10   #668
Senior - BHPian

Damn, only when I read this thread, then I realize the issues that I need to sort out in my car.

Pranav, sorry, I just forgot everything about the O2 sensor. Will give a call soon.
I remember posting about the engine almost dying while driving, after a cold start.

So one day I observed something very peculiar (which is definitely related to what I wrote earlier).

I started my car, but kept it on neutral while parked.
All this while I was flipping through the CD collection.
After about 2-5 minutes of idling (while I was searching and deciding what I wish to listen to) - I saw that the engine has gone berserk.

Idling at around 700-800 RPM.
Suddenly it decides to race, and as soon as it races (2000 RPM), it then almost cuts off (0-100 RPM).
Imagine someone pressing the pedal for a second or two and then releasing it.

All this happened while idling.
3-5 times this happened.

Why would this happen?
I am sure the more subtle form of this is what I experience if the car is on the move.

Last edited by alpha1 : 5th September 2011 at 14:11.
Old 5th September 2011, 18:57   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Idling at around 700-800 RPM.
Suddenly it decides to race, and as soon as it races (2000 RPM), it then almost cuts off (0-100 RPM).
Imagine someone pressing the pedal for a second or two and then releasing it.

All this happened while idling.
3-5 times this happened.
I had a similar issue, did a 'Throttle body cleaning'... and it did the trick... But if feels freaky esp if it happens on the road.
It was too wild for me coz i had my Clutch depressed and the acceleration was jus jumping up and down.
Hope you find and sort the issue.
Old 10th September 2011, 20:19   #670
BHPian

I am completely blown away by reading all the problems faced and advice given by fellow members with immense experience,surely makes one understand the actual problems and troubleshoot accordingly.I really appreciate the help and assistance offered on this forum.Now my problem,need some light on the issues here.I have a 2001 model vtec,done over 1.25lac kms,I have managed to live the jerks over the years,but lately the car has lost power,a lot of power,specially when the ac is on,i suspect the ac bearing has gone for a toss,shown it to few honda dealers and private workshops but nobody has given me a satisfactory answer to the problem,the main area of my concern is listed below.

1.Loss of power through no matter how much you rev.

2.AC takes a toll on the engine power.

3.Engine idle at extremely low rpm with ac switched off,around 200.

4.If revved hard,the power is still not as it used to be but pretty harsh through out.

I dont mind opening up the complete car and doing it up,I am more into 4x4's but have kept the vtec since ever and do not want to loose it,would like to restore it completely with the new engine spares if required,I stay in delhi and do not know where to buy parts for the vtec.Can anyone guide me where to go and what to begin with?I would be greatful.
Old 15th September 2011, 16:19   #671
BHPian

[quote=Desmosedici;2487691]The ECU Reset has worked for me.

Hey Nice to see the car is doing great with the ECU reset -
BTW did you do it on your own & how.
Old 15th September 2011, 16:43   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
1.Loss of power through no matter how much you rev.

2.AC takes a toll on the engine power.

3.Engine idle at extremely low rpm with ac switched off,around 200.

4.If revved hard,the power is still not as it used to be but pretty harsh through out.

I dont mind opening up the complete car and doing it up,I am more into 4x4's but have kept the vtec since ever and do not want to loose it,would like to restore it completely with the new engine spares if required,I stay in delhi and do not know where to buy parts for the vtec.Can anyone guide me where to go and what to begin with?I would be greatful.
Get a compression test done from a reputed workshop or A.S.S. Based on the output, if the compression is weak then think of opening the engine & rebuilding the same.

Honda engines are known to last really long if maintained & serviced well.

When & where was the last time you serviced the car ? How often do you use the car ?

For parts you can check Spare-Mart, Kashmere Gate Delhi. They sell most of the O.E Honda spares.
Old 15th September 2011, 22:20   #673
Senior - BHPian

[quote=ryan_wheelz;2507122]
Quote:
The ECU Reset has worked for me.

Hey Nice to see the car is doing great with the ECU reset -
BTW did you do it on your own & how.

Just take a size 10 spanner and remove the -ve terminal (the one without the plastic cap) of the battery. Keep it like that for the night, atleast 8 - 10 hours. In the morning, connect the -ve terminal back, start the car and leave it idling for around 10 - 15 minutes. See if the engine switches off, if it does start it again and keep it idling. Then take the car out for a spin, if you find an open stretch, you can redline a bit and the ECU will read try to adapt to your driving style. If this also doesnt work, then you can try throttle body cleaning, injector cleaning etc.

My car has however become easy to drive but post servicing the RPM (which was initially at around 2k) was set back to 800 RPM so i find the car a bit sluggish with AC. I am thinking of using synthetic oil after doing an engine flush but dont have a great mech who can help do this.
Desmosedici is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 14:07   #674
Senior - BHPian

My woes with a 10 year old car dont seem to end. Just entered the office basement and switched on my headlights, within a few minutes while i was searching for a parking i saw some smoke from the front. I then realised that while i switch on the parking lamps, the low beam also gets switched on but very dim and when i swicth on the actual headlamps, only the high beams are working which is bright as usual. What could be the reason. I am kind of getting fed up with this car now. I find this to be a car which runs well when revved, apart from it for a normal city driving, it is proving to be a pain.
Old 27th September 2011, 14:19   #675
BHPian

seems like your holder has melted, get them changed
toiingg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks