Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 18:27   #631
BHPian

re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

I am facing some issue getting a new lower arm for the front suspension in my vtec. The one put in currently is a Taiwan make aftermarket fitment. Would like to put in an original piece or a good after market substitute. Any suggestions regarding where i can get this from will be highly appreciated!
Besides can someone please provide an estimate as to how much it might cost to shift to the 100/90 bulbs from the stock setup.
Old 5th July 2011, 19:08   #632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk View Post
Besides can someone please provide an estimate as to how much it might cost to shift to the 100/90 bulbs from the stock setup.
If you require a relay, which you might, then it will cost you ~1100. Including a pair of 100/90 Phillips ralley bulbs and a roots relay with ceramic holders.
Old 6th July 2011, 10:53   #633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am facing some issue getting a new lower arm for the front suspension in my vtec. The one put in currently is a Taiwan make aftermarket fitment. Would like to put in an original piece or a good after market substitute. Any suggestions regarding where i can get this from will be highly appreciated!
You can get your job done at Oberoi in bandra (PM me for contact details if you want to go to him)

Rather than putting the 100/90 you should go for the 130/100..they are really good. Should cost you less than 1k IMO.
Old 6th July 2011, 10:58   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would like to put in an original piece or a good after market substitute. Any suggestions regarding where i can get this from will be highly appreciated! .
Try Shetty Motors @Opera house Mumbai.
They also have another shop in Navi Mumbai too.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
If you require a relay, which you might, then it will cost you ~1100. Including a pair of 100/90 Phillips ralley bulbs and a roots relay with ceramic holders.
Right, this is also including the wires too.
I had put Hella bulbs instead of Philips in my OHC, total cost was 1100Rs .
Price start from 750Rs . But I would suggest you to go with Good wires+ Relay and ceramic holder to withstand the heat produced from the Halogens.
Don't go for 130W, the heat emitted from the bulbs may effect the headlamps reflectors and sometimes blind/glare the on coming vehicle.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:57   #635
BHPian

Thanks a ton people...i've given the car for repairs at select motors..and they will do the job for the lights. Going for 100/90 only. Don't want it to be too bright, cuz that might affect oncoming traffic.
Will check with shetty motors for the part. Just read their review...sounds good. Fingers crossed.
Btw, select motors has a line up with some garage to repair the electronic ORVMs and works out quite reasonable compared to replacing defunct ones...just FYI.
Old 14th July 2011, 18:48   #636
Senior - BHPian

2 days back i went into a huge pothole and then after driving at good speeds for around 20 mins i hear a khat khat sound from the front left. i parked the car and saw some piece lose on the inside of the front bumper which is hitting the front left tyre. That piece is literally hanging out. Due to the rains i couldnt get a pic. I am attaching a standard pic of my car with a red line pointed to the affected area. The problem is on the left side of my car. Can anyone let me know what it could be. Havent got a time to do a full inspection due to heavy work load.
Attached Thumbnails
1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-vtec.jpg  

Old 16th July 2011, 13:33   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
I've got one available right now.
Hey Pranav, The IACV you supplied with the manifold malfunctions. The rpm spurs to ~2000 at idle. So for the time being its my old faulty valve cleaned and fitted in.
Old 16th July 2011, 13:35   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Hey Pranav, I would really require one ... I hope its a plug and play job.

Another surprising thing which I have encountered ever since this engine-dying-in-30-seconds-after-cold-start is that O2 malfunction light does not come up now!

What would this mean? Please note I have my car checked at various locations in past and everywhere they have come to me with diagnosis that O2 sensor is not working. So in any case - I have to buy it!

Could be the IACV which is malfunctioning on my OHC. The engine used to die down if not throttled at cold
Old 16th July 2011, 13:38   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
All u need to do is get ur channel cleaned...in fact you also get a spray and powder for the windows which keeps this problem away

i think think your problem should get reduced after the rains.

Mine too damn slow crawling up especially the front ones. Had got the channels cleaned and regreased but no substantial difference.

I suppose the motor is aged now and goes not boost enough power to keep up the pace. So planning to replace them soon after rains.
Old 19th July 2011, 11:28   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
2 days back i went into a huge pothole and then after driving at good speeds for around 20 mins i hear a khat khat sound from the front left. i parked the car and saw some piece lose on the inside of the front bumper which is hitting the front left tyre. That piece is literally hanging out. Due to the rains i couldnt get a pic. I am attaching a standard pic of my car with a red line pointed to the affected area. The problem is on the left side of my car. Can anyone let me know what it could be. Havent got a time to do a full inspection due to heavy work load.

It could be your wheel arch flap. you will need to describe how it looks like, what material etc. Is your turning mech or suspension mech working fine??
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 12:46   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Could be fender lining.
A flap loosened from the bumper.
Honda Monk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 13:00   #642
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Kaushik and HondaMonk, It was the inner wheel arch fender lining. Have given the car to the mech to fix a lot of stuff. Should get it back by the weekend.
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:08   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilb View Post
Hey Pranav, The IACV you supplied with the manifold malfunctions. The rpm spurs to ~2000 at idle. So for the time being its my old faulty valve cleaned and fitted in.
How was the IACV installed? It was not a bolt-on and wiring adjustments had to be done. I do not have access to your ECU from where the IACV control could have been disabled.
Old 4th August 2011, 00:11   #644
Senior - BHPian

My Vtec is back from the works dept. Had given it for 2 weeks. Lot of work done on it. Rear wheel bearings and hubs were changed, front tierod, lower arms, balljoint etc were replaced.The water leakage was due to some gap in the windshield, it was removed and refixed. Also got some metal polishing done (dont what exactly the garage guy meant by that).

Issues faced post servicing.

Some creaking noise from front left side.
Wiper doesnt go back to it original position and stays slightly up.
The RPM Issues has been resolved by cleaning injectors and throttle body but the RPM now hovers around the 600 mark. Due to this my initial pickup has gone down tremendously. Before servicing the RPM was at 1500 - 2000 and it was a hoot to drive. Now even in 2nd gear i dont find the punch. There is a definite lag till around 2000 RPMs. Thinking of getting the RPM set at around 1000 mark.

Also want to get a KnN Universal Cone Filter. Can anyone suggest a good place and what should be the ideal price for the same.

Anything that i need to address with regards to the above? Please let me know gurus.

Total Damage was 20k
Old 5th August 2011, 12:31   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Yes Ankit, Me too have felt this recently.
Got my wire tightened but it loosened after 6/7 months.

You are absolutely true, Guragon roads are no less than durability test for any car and on Honda cars its like bottom-out, reducing suspension life to half. My car had not a single rattle in 8 years but just after 8 months on gurgaon road (especially golf course ext.) got all things lose.

You are going to A-psyche for all things. DO let me know if any other good place you take your car to.
Don't even talk about the Golf Course ext road, I live there and I know the HORROR of commuting to and fro on this nightmare stretch!

Got an extensive tune up and maintenance work done last month. Problems faced:
  • Thud suspension (literally goed 'THUD' on every bump).
  • Rear shockers leak (OE after 13 years)
  • Shot rear tyres due to bad shockers
  • Speedometer cable broken
  • Check Engile Light on due to reason above
  • A heavy steering
  • RPM kill - always under 500 or about to die - Old issue
  • Engine Misfire / Jerks till 2000-2400 RPM - Old issue
  • Rear tyre noise - Bearings kaput!
  • A bit of this, a bit of that!

List of things done:
  • Front Shocker replacement
  • Lower arm bush replacement
  • Tie-Rod Ends replaced
  • Front Suspension Bush Kit replaced
  • Rear Shockers replaced
  • Rear Wheel Bearings + Hubs replaced with OE
  • Engine Flushed
  • Engile Oil renewed with Castrol GTX Magnatec
  • Oil Filter replaced
  • Fuel Filter replaced
  • Spark Plugs replaced (all 4 - NGK OE Spec)
  • Speedometer Cable replaced
  • Steering Column Bushes replaced
  • Clutch Cable replaced
  • Brake cleaning
  • Throttle Body cleaned with spray
  • Injectors Cleaned
  • Radiator chemically cleaned
  • Replaced coolant and water
  • Two rear tyres replaced
  • Installed Hella Twin Tone horn

A tremendous change in the behavior of the car, except that the jerking/misfire will not go away. Reason - One cylinder has lost compression and there is no remedy for it! :-(

Otherwise the car was silent and the niggles all went away. A month down after off roading on Gurgaon roads, there are suspension noises cropping up slightly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks