Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2010, 15:16   #496
Senior - BHPian

re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Meet me on Sunday. I stay nearby (assuming you're talking about the one in Malad) and will check your car out.
Yep the Malad one. Will do that.
Old 24th December 2010, 19:04   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Diameter difference of ~3.5%, so for every actual 100kms run, your car shows it as 96.5kms, so next time on pls add these extra 3.5kms for every 100kms run and calculate the mileage.

I just make sure I change my car's oil every 5K kms.
What is the tyre pressure you are maintaining ?
You should be able to find an improvement after Airfilter cleaned/replaced, Spark plugs carbon cleaned/replaced, throttle body cleaned etc.
The mileage dropped before the tires were upsized.
After upsizing there wasn't any drop in FE probably due to the FFE also being inatlled at almost around the same time.

So the problem lies elsewhere.
Old 27th December 2010, 16:23   #498
BHPian

Just to provide some closure around a topic i raised earlier in this thread and that was to do with whether to source shocks and other suspension components from Honda Dealers or find a source outside, i went with the dealer (my regular in Pune) for the following reasons..

1. Didnt want to take any sort of chance with a critical component like this - we do long drives with this car with family so..
2. There are credible sources outside but they were inconvinient for me being Pune based
3. The front shocks are 3700 Rs each inclusive of tax in Pune , outside sources quoted 2700 each
4. Parts bought and fixed by a dealer get you a one year warranty, outside sources get you none

So based on all this i went the dealer route. So my own rule from now on - for any critical part which will effect reliability and safety - i will go with the dealer. For everything else i will go with a credible source outside.
Old 29th December 2010, 18:56   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
I think my problem might be due to the reason the oil change for my car had been over looked frequently during the last few years.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-10000kms.html

Have to follow up on that.
The lack of oil change was definitely not the reason for the reduced mileage, but i got the oil changed to semi-synthetic today. Below is a pic of the OHC 1.5 engine opened.. more details on the other thread for the sake of not repeating
Attached Thumbnails
1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-1.jpg  

Old 9th January 2011, 04:07   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
those figures are seriously good ( assuming correctly calculated )for the mods you have done. is this with or without a/c ?

the vtec defiently gives a better FE than the regular OHC1.5 atleast in the highways. but the city FE is also quite good in your car

I'm not pulling 95 whp. checked fuel efficiency, still getting 12kmpl in city without AC. Efficiency has improved courtesy optimised flow dimensions and enhanced combustion character.
Old 26th January 2011, 13:12   #501
BHPian

@Desmosedici....I hope you got to meet pranav. Did you?
What all the issues came out, please share we all would like to learn.
I too hear the same humming rotor sound aftr 60. I guess that is wheel hub, ain't it?
Old 27th January 2011, 23:46   #502
BHPian

Okay, so here's my question.

99 OHC 1.5, 1,08,000 Ks,

Off late, my radiator+ac fan has always been on. Even during cold starts and during the winters the fans were always on. Temp needle is normal, FE is normal, coolant level (radiator + reservoir) is normal. Still drives like a dream

Last coolant change was around 8k Kms back.

Whattodo ?
Old 2nd February 2011, 00:34   #503
BHPian

I'd like to second that because my radiator fan's also got that problem. The ac fan still kicks on only if the ac is on though.
Old 2nd February 2011, 00:52   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
@Desmosedici....I hope you got to meet pranav. Did you?
What all the issues came out, please share we all would like to learn.
I too hear the same humming rotor sound aftr 60. I guess that is wheel hub, ain't it?
Hi HondaMonk,

Havent got a chance to meet Pranav yet, been pretty tied up on weekends or sleeping too much due to hectic work during the week.

Took the car out to Bhandardara over the weekend. Humming noise is very evident and i guess thats the wheel hub / bearing, not sure.

Engine RPM is still at 2500, have not got it sorted.
On the narrow Bhandardara road, tried to pass a Logan and both mirrors hit each other. My mirror glass just broke and hit me, thankfully my eyes were protected by sunglasses. Can anyone tell me where i can just get the mirror glass fixed as the whole assembly is fine and the electronic movement is working as well.

Did speeds upto 140kmph. Suspension needs to be changed / tweaked. Brakes need to be checked. Need better bulbs, might go for Philips Rally.

Got 10+ average on the highway compared to 8 in city.

Overall its a revv happy car and a wildcat on the road. Have done some redlining and its bliss. Planning to go for a K&N Conical. No FFE for me as i hate the noise it makes plus getting pulled up by cops quite often.

Just hoping that i get to meet Pranav soon and get his help in sorting the issues and then shall plan what all needs to be done.
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:30   #505
BHPian

I've just bought an Ohc vtec.I am planning for a complete overhaul.I am planning to chang the colour to either blue (etios liva blue) or white (planning for hyundai's crystal white as mentioned in dupoints broucher).I needed the side strips which are there on the doors,how much would it cost?If you have any suggestions on th colour,please feel free to suggest.thanx
Old 3rd February 2011, 17:42   #506
Senior - BHPian

Hi OHC Vtec,

I think White looks really royal on the Vtec, Black also looks good if matched by a good set of wheels.
Old 3rd February 2011, 17:50   #507
BHPian

Which color is your car ? I would recommend keeping it in it's original color with the stock wheels etc. The reason being, a Vtec has a distinct identity, which it looses when you do a lot of mods. I like it in Satin Silver, grey color.
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:31   #508
BHPian

@Desmosedici
I too am more inclined towards white.

@OHCVtec
The original colour of my car is red.I agree with your point about the vtec having a distinct identity but if i choose either of the colours mentioned earlier the vtec rims wont go with it so am thinking of upgrading the wheels too.
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:34   #509
Senior - BHPian

@OHC Vtec,

The stock rims will look good on white as well, just get them polished however i feel that the wheel size is not proper for a car of this size and power. I anyday feel 15 inchers are a must or if possible even 16 inchers. I had read GTO's thread where he had got 16 inch wheels and he didnt face any issues of tyres scrapping the inside of the wheel wells.

But i do agree that the stock rims look really good.
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:52   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
@OHC Vtec,

The stock rims will look good on white as well, just get them polished however i feel that the wheel size is not proper for a car of this size and power. I anyday feel 15 inchers are a must or if possible even 16 inchers. I had read GTO's thread where he had got 16 inch wheels and he didnt face any issues of tyres scrapping the inside of the wheel wells.

But i do agree that the stock rims look really good.
I too agree about the stock rims..but with a car like this and performance mods on its way it would be impossible to resist going for an upsize.17" look best but am too thinking of going for 16" looking at cons of 17".

Last edited by OHC VTEC : 3rd February 2011 at 19:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks