Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2010, 02:30   #466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayr328 View Post
...... 10 mins after that i drove my old VTEC and ended up with a grin the size of umm.. the new citys front grill
Sanjay jus a reminder that this is the OHC problem thread - in your case the problem is "OHC Vtec causes Grin after driving ivtec" couldn't help that!
rev it pal!
cheers!
Old 7th December 2010, 14:03   #467
BHPian

Guys,

does anyone have an update on the shocks discussion or contacts on buying the original shocks from a non dealer source ? my website enquiry to the munjal showa guys has gone unanswered, Gabriel apparently has shocks for the OHC , some hearsay based feedback from inside the dealership says that Gabriel is not as good as Munjwal Showa , i took that with a pinch of salt for the time being.
Old 7th December 2010, 14:35   #468
BHPian

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZ guide

All seniors and experts (especially GTO, Shan2nu and Ishaan)
since I couldnt find a workable solution to my problems, so I am posting it loud now...

the problems:

RPM fluctuation on idle (between 700 to 1000) and some times drop as low as 650/600 (and car starts to shiver with a strange noise from the hood)
I feel light judder when I apply brakes at high or moderate speed (have changed new pads just a 100 Kms ago)
RPM not acting when I switch the a/c on.
Feel little drag n jerks after irregular intervals like after every 7-8 Kms and it disappears itself after 8-10 secs or around 500 mtrs.
FE has gone low...
Oil pump making noise too...

I have got my throttle body (with IAC valve) cleaned thrice but no gain.

I have got really frustrated, because I was about to go for modifications but the problems seem to be persistent and my 4 wheeled glider is losing driving pleasure.
I was thinking to give a visit to arush bhai too.

Don't want to lose this gem, so please all seniors and experts help.

Last edited by Dippy : 7th December 2010 at 15:53. Reason: Only two smilies allowed per post. Please go through the rules. Thanks
Honda Monk is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th December 2010, 12:06   #469
Senior - BHPian

Re: PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZ guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk
I feel light judder when I apply brakes at high or moderate speed (have changed new pads just a 100 Kms ago).
As the Brake pads are new, You might feel slight juddering, coz the New brake pads have to get adjusted to the used Rotors.
Were brake calipers greased properly ?
Did u get your brake rotor skimmed(polished) ?
Don't worry, after a while brake will get adjusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
RPM fluctuation on idle (between 700 to 1000) and some times drop as low as 650/600 (and car starts to shiver with a strange noise from the hood)
RPM not acting when I switch the a/c on.
Feel little drag n jerks after irregular intervals like after every 7-8 Kms and it disappears itself after 8-10 secs or around 500 mtrs.
FE has gone low...
Oil pump making noise too...

I have got my throttle body (with IAC valve) cleaned thrice but no gain. .
Please check the Return value/Vaccum pipe. has it been fixed properly ?
For jerks, get your spark plugs, sparkplug wires, Injectors, Fuel filter, Petrol tank(bad fuel) inspected. Along with the above get your Engine mounts verified.

Last edited by sushrutha : 8th December 2010 at 12:08.
Old 8th December 2010, 13:22   #470
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayr328 View Post
does anyone have an update on the shocks discussion or contacts on buying the original shocks from a non dealer source ?
Get in touch with Shetty Motors; contact details in the Team-BHP Directory (Mumbai Section).
Old 8th December 2010, 14:16   #471

Hi!

I have a 2002 type 2 Vtec here in Hyderabad. The car has done about 88K kms and the only mods it has are an automech FFE and Pipercross air intake (K&N high performance intially - swapped to pipercross a month ago).

While replacing the K&N intake with the pipercross i swapped the O2 sensor as well. The sensor I am now using previous used to duty (with the pipercross intake) on a 2003 type II 1.5 Exi. Is this detrimental in any way?

Also, just like Narayan, i have been experiencing this annoyingly fluctuating RPMs. The rpm drops to near zero, the ECU helps it recover to about 650 holds it there for a bit before the RPM drops to near zero again. This is particularly annoying during cold starts in stop go traffic when the engine stalls. The problem first arose when I switched from the stoke air intake to the K&N Hi-performance conical and has stayed ever since.

I recently had the car examined by sundaram motors here who blamed the problem on the modded intake & exhaust and washed their hands off trying to fix it.

I made sure that the ECU was reset every time i was replacing the air intake system by keeping the battery disconnected for a fair amount of time.

Apart from this, I have been experiencing alarmingly high oil consumption over the last few months. While replacing the air intake i have noticed oil in the stock air filter housing (when it was being replace by the K&N) and on the inside of the intake pipe that i was using with the K&N (which is now replaced by a complete Pipercross system). Besides this there is a slow leak on the underside of the engine as well. The folks at sundarm motors have told me that I need to replace the crankshaft oil seals (2 nos.) and cam shaft oil seal as they were all at the end of their life. While, in my opinion, this may arrest the oil leak from below, I am at my wits end to figure out why there was oil in the air intake system and how prevent this happening?!

Any advice on how i can fix these problems and more importantly where in HYD can i find someone reliable to do it. Its irritating to be forced to drive a fantastic car this way.
Old 8th December 2010, 18:00   #472
abk
BHPian

Re: PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZ guide

I laid my hands on my OHC II after more than 6 months now during which my friend was driving it sparingly. I noticed the following two problems, quoting from Honda Monk's list of problems.
Quote:
RPM not acting when I switch the a/c on..
Can someone please advise / recommend the right person in Gurgaon (preferably) or in Delhi / NOIDA to rectify the problem. I've also got O2 sensor from US that I need to get installed, would prefer all of these to be done at the same time.

thanks!
Old 8th December 2010, 19:37   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
The rpm drops to near zero, the ECU helps it recover to about 650 holds it there for a bit before the RPM drops to near zero again. This is particularly annoying during cold starts in stop go traffic when the engine stalls. The problem first arose when I switched from the stoke air intake to the K&N Hi-performance conical and has stayed ever since.
Even I have been facing the same issue since around an year . It started happening one I got my car back from service. I have a stock car with zero mods. The frequency of the car stopping abruptly has reduced after cleaning the moisture from "Denso"(that's what I was told). However I still have the issue once in a blue moon. More info on the issue can be found here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-abruptly.html
Old 9th December 2010, 12:27   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
cleaning the moisture from "Denso"(that's what I was told). l
"Denso", some mechanics call it as Delco, it's also know as distributor coil (spark plug wires are connected from here to spark plugs).
Yes sometimes while giving a pressure wash ,water gets into this(to avoid, just get the Coil covered with plastic). Once the water/moisture is removed, there shouldn't be FLUTTERING of engine.
Old 9th December 2010, 15:58   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Even I have been facing the same issue since around an year . It started happening one I got my car back from service. I have a stock car with zero mods. The frequency of the car stopping abruptly has reduced after cleaning the moisture from "Denso"(that's what I was told). However I still have the issue once in a blue moon. More info on the issue can be found here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-abruptly.html
Thanks for the inputs OHCVtec. However, as far as i can remember i havent had the engine bay pressure washed in a while since I have the conical air filter sitting in there. Further, the erratic (and low) idling in my case is a persistent problem and therefore cannot be because of water fouling with the "denso"

Im inclined to think that the problem is caused by dirty/faulty sensors that regulate the intake and idling. Can someone please give me a list of relevant sensors as well any DIY pointers to check and clean them. While im getting all the sensors checked and cleaned, i plan to get the throttle body cleaned up as well. Hopefully this, followed by an ECU reset, should solve the problem.

Any thoughts?
Old 9th December 2010, 21:02   #476
Senior - BHPian

Guys I have a OHC too,I would like to know the 0-100 timings of a stock Vtec.

Thanx
Take Car & Drive Safe
Rohin
Old 15th December 2010, 14:47   #477
BHPian

Frustration at its height

Jerking problem resolved
Jobs I got done are :
by-pass pipe (attached to throttle body) replaced as it was leaking and all other hose tightened using silicon gel.
Oil pump adjusted (but its still making noise)
I am not sure what resolved the jerks?

RPM drop still there
and No-response on a/c is also there

I must have mentioned earlier that
RPM drops when the engine gains some temperature and when it hits 700 or below a strange sound (my guess, a pulley sound) starts coming (does all OHC makes such sounds on RPM drop)
Shall I get an electronic tuning and timing done first regardless what the workshop guy says?????? I suppose we have experts and more knowledgeable seniors here.

What i a vaccum leak?
Old 15th December 2010, 14:50   #478
BHPian

What are the OHC suspension part brands?
or please tell me any other good brand my fellow T-Bhpians have used in their citys
Old 15th December 2010, 16:12   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Guys I have a OHC too,I would like to know the 0-100 timings of a stock Vtec.
The stock 0-100 timing for a stock OHC:
11.5 non-vtec
10.5 vtec

but i have no idea how 6BHP could make so much of a difference.

P.S: overdrive had stated 9.9 for vtec! (many years ago)
Old 18th December 2010, 02:56   #480
BHPian

Quote:
What are the OHC suspension part brands?
or please tell me any other good brand my fellow T-Bhpians have used in their citys
I too am waiting for this info - All I know is that the shocks are 'Munjal'

I have a squeaky sound when i go over humps etc. this should be the shocks right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks