Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 14:47   #331
BHPian

Experts,

Anybody know which brand of clutch/pressure plate was OEM in Honda for OHC (Type II) models (inclulding VTEC)?!

I just got a quote of Rs 5800/- for the following items:

1) Clutch Plate (Daikin)
2) Pressure Plate (Daikin)
3) Clutch cable (NA)
4) Release bearing (NSK)
5) X-mission oil - 2 ltrs(Castrol)

Is the price ok?

Regards,
Old 16th April 2010, 15:05   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anybody know which brand of clutch/pressure plate was OEM in Honda for OHC (Type II) models (inclulding VTEC)?!
I think they use Exedy. I got my replacement (clutch and pressure plate) from JC Road for 3,700 (including taxes).

But i think the prices have increased now.

Shan2nu
Old 19th April 2010, 19:00   #333
BHPian

Steering rack(box) leakage issues!!
I am trying to get this problem fixed since two months now and after repairing it for end no. of times its still leaking , because of this the rack had to be removed countless times and wheel alligned again & again. Plz guys help me out ,is there anyone who could fix this?
Old 19th April 2010, 21:25   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastraj View Post
I am trying to get this problem fixed since two months now and after repairing it for end no. of times its still leaking , because of this the rack had to be removed countless times and wheel alligned again & again. Plz guys help me out ,is there anyone who could fix this?
@fastraj: Sunil Shanbagh (2414.9910) in Dadar is very famous among the OHC owners in Mumbai. Infact my VTEC (previously owned by GTO) had undergone steering rack overhaul. It's working perfectly now.

Cheers,

PS: Mods, I hope it's ok to share the contact details here. Please delete if otherwise.

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2010 at 16:22. Reason: Removing Sunil's cell number. I don't suppose he'd want it out in public.
Old 20th April 2010, 19:05   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
@fastraj: Sunil Shanbagh (2414.9910) in Dadar is very famous among the OHC owners in Mumbai. Infact my VTEC (previously owned by GTO) had undergone steering rack overhaul. It's working perfectly now.

Cheers,

PS: Mods, I hope it's ok to share the contact details here. Please delete if otherwise.

thanks a ton avinash! You r a life saver. This was last resort i had to beg for help after all the torture the local garage guy put my ohc through!

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2010 at 16:23. Reason: Removing Sunil's cell number. I don't suppose he'd want it out in public.
Old 20th April 2010, 23:52   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastraj View Post
This is a known issue with OHC VTEC, Even Honda guys are aware of this. The new one at Honda is costing about 13 K. Even my car has this issue and Honda guys told I can still drive without any issue as they have seem many worse case.

In Bangalore I know at least 10 guys who has OHC VTEC and all the cars have this issue, and they have tried the best of best techniques for fixing the oil seals but it will last for only a month or two. I would suggest you to get it replaced at Honda if not it might effect the Power steering motor which will cost you 25 K. (This was told to me by a Honda tech)

My car will be going to Whitefield Honda day after for getting the part replaced. Also this part will not be in stock with them and you need to ask them to order it and wait for 15 days to get it on road.
Old 21st April 2010, 00:04   #337
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2010 at 16:23.
Old 28th April 2010, 18:58   #338
BHPian

steering issue

Guys,
last week i went to the honda dealership in chandigarh for a routine checkup. while taking the test drive, the mechanic said that the steering assembly needs replacement. there was a "tak-tak" sound coming from the steering when it was turned left/right while the car was in stationary position.

although no oil was leaking, the mechanic was adamant on the fact that the whole assembly needs replacement.

Guys please advise as i have yet not faced any issue with the same(apart from the sound)
Old 28th April 2010, 22:44   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P View Post
Guys,
last week i went to the honda dealership in chandigarh for a routine checkup. while taking the test drive, the mechanic said that the steering assembly needs replacement. there was a "tak-tak" sound coming from the steering when it was turned left/right while the car was in stationary position.

although no oil was leaking, the mechanic was adamant on the fact that the whole assembly needs replacement.

Guys please advise as i have yet not faced any issue with the same(apart from the sound)
Don't believe the dealership! Take your car to a trusted (outside) mechanic and have him evaluate the condition of your steering.

They told me that all the suspensions of my car were gone as well as both the rear wheel bearings. The suspensions still have atleast 10-15K of life left in them and the bearings were just fine. The thumb rule for dealerships is 'R' for Replacement whereas 'R' for Repair can also be true!

Cheers
Old 28th April 2010, 23:07   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Get the tie rod ends checked. I got mine changed a few years ago. Costed me only 400 bucks that time.

The steering used to feel twitchy and gave out the same sound, whenever i turned the wheel.

Shan2nu
Old 28th April 2010, 23:16   #341
Senior - BHPian

My Yokohamas are about 22k kms old - though visibly ok. Since the earlier service (and wheel balancing) at RAC, have had some vibrations coming through the steering wheel at 105+ - and after a rebalancing at the time of the last service thats improved a tad, tho there's still some at 120+ Is it just old tyres, or should one check something else out ? Or is it merely a not too great balancing job ?
Old 28th April 2010, 23:25   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Yokohamas are about 22k kms old - though visibly ok. Since the earlier service (and wheel balancing) at RAC, have had some vibrations coming through the steering wheel at 105+ - and after a rebalancing at the time of the last service thats improved a tad, tho there's still some at 120+ Is it just old tyres, or should one check something else out ? Or is it merely a not too great balancing job ?
Get the tyres checked thoroughly first. Coz sometimes a foreign object stuck in the tyre can cause an imbalance in the weight distribution. If you dont find anything wrong with the tyres, get the balancing done from another reputed garage.

Shan2nu
Old 4th May 2010, 16:03   #343

help needed

Hi Guys...
I also am a proud owner of the ohc 1.5 exi 2003 model, done 64K kms.
I love the way this baby rides, but have some small niggling issues that would like to be resolved, which surprisingly dosent seem to be an issue any one of you are running into.

- My RPM meter seems to have gone kaput. It very rarely gives me the right reading. Its basically all over the place (more than often redlines on just starting the car, without having my foot on the accelerator)
Need to know what are my options here, do i need to get the whole instrument cluster replaced or will repairing do the job. If the later, which i hope it is, can anyone point me to a guy who would do the job right, here in Delhi.

- The engine light is always light up, even with the engine running. Could this be a issue with the O2 sensor or something else? If an issue with the sensor would it also not affect my avg, getting a healthy avg of 13-14 kmpl in city traffic.
For now ive just turned off the light for now, i know its risky having it this way so would like to resolve this issue soon.
Any ideas here guys. Linkway says, it could also be an issue with any of the sensors. which needs to be checked.
Suggestions please.....

- Planning to upgrade the stock wheel to 15" alloys, is 2" more than the stock a good idea, also what is the ideal tyre specs for the same?

- My mechanic has confirmed that the clutch is end of life and the whole thing needs a replacement. (please dont ask me much about this component as I have no idea) I agree with him that it needs replacement, but not on the price point.
He says since the whole thing needs to be changed it would cost around 12K, i told him that had read in the forum about bhpians getting it replaced for under 6K. He say Hundai Santro stock clutches are more expensive than that.
Is he over-coating the price or did I not understand what I read??
Also, if he is over-coating, any recommendations on where I can get it done from and for how much.

Sorry for this really long post. Would really appreciate if any one of you guys can help me with this.

Peace,
Sunny
Old 4th May 2010, 17:41   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysdome View Post

- My RPM meter seems to have gone kaput. It very rarely gives me the right reading. Its basically all over the place (more than often redlines on just starting the car, without having my foot on the accelerator)
Need to know what are my options here, do i need to get the whole instrument cluster replaced or will repairing do the job. If the later, which i hope it is, can anyone point me to a guy who would do the job right, here in Delhi.

I think the cluster can be repaired, hope you are sure that nothing is wrong with your actual RPM level. Delhi guys should be able to help with the contacts i guess.

- The engine light is always light up, even with the engine running. Could this be a issue with the O2 sensor or something else? If an issue with the sensor would it also not affect my avg, getting a healthy avg of 13-14 kmpl in city traffic.
For now ive just turned off the light for now, i know its risky having it this way so would like to resolve this issue soon.
Any ideas here guys. Linkway says, it could also be an issue with any of the sensors. which needs to be checked.
Suggestions please.....

The best way is to get a scan done, and the error code will point you to the problem.

- Planning to upgrade the stock wheel to 15" alloys, is 2" more than the stock a good idea, also what is the ideal tyre specs for the same?

15s should not be a major problem but 14s are a safer bet. BTW i am running 16s

- My mechanic has confirmed that the clutch is end of life and the whole thing needs a replacement. (please dont ask me much about this component as I have no idea) I agree with him that it needs replacement, but not on the price point.
He says since the whole thing needs to be changed it would cost around 12K, i told him that had read in the forum about bhpians getting it replaced for under 6K. He say Hundai Santro stock clutches are more expensive than that.
Is he over-coating the price or did I not understand what I read??
Also, if he is over-coating, any recommendations on where I can get it done from and for how much.
He is over coating, i think it should be a 8k job
Old 7th May 2010, 16:43   #345

thanks for your updates Kaushik.
I am sure the RPM level in fine there is just an error in the reading.

Guys from Delhi.. can you please help me out here??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks