Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2009, 01:30   #91
BHPian
 
ankitahuja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon & Delhi
Posts: 887
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
What is CEL?
CEL = Check Engine Light. Same as EML = Engine Malfunction Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
I had a similar problem in my OHC and i got it rectified just a few days ago. All that it needed was an ECU reset - there was a remarkable difference in performance as well.
But a problem that i face now is that my speedo vibrates heavily unless the engine is idling. Help ?
You mean the speedo needle or the speedo console?

Last edited by ankitahuja : 12th April 2009 at 01:34.
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 12:32   #92
BHPian
 
di1in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bnglr&Thrissur
Posts: 384
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
CEL = Check Engine Light. Same as EML = Engine Malfunction Light



You mean the speedo needle or the speedo console?
The speedo needle.. the vibration takes it to +- 15kms reading difference..
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 13:13   #93
BHPian
 
ankitahuja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon & Delhi
Posts: 887
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
The speedo needle.. the vibration takes it to +- 15kms reading difference..
I had a similar issue when the speedo needle used to jerk at low speeds (maybe between 25-45 KMPH). I lived with it for a few months and then the speedo cable snapped.

I got the cable changed, and the problem was solved!
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 12:01   #94
BHPian
 
di1in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bnglr&Thrissur
Posts: 384
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Remember the other day when i said the ECU reset increased the cars performance, well it also cut down the fuel efficiency of the car.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 13:46   #95
abk
BHPian
 
abk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NOIDA / Gurgaon
Posts: 276
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
I was recently offered a Denso O2 sensor but it was for the OHC Type II. I had to sadly refuse it, but the best part is the price: 1.5k
Dear ankitahuja, can you please advise where I can procure the O2 sensors for my OHC type II in NCR? Honda service centres quote a hefty Rs. 16+ k for the replacement
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 14:01   #96
BHPian
 
ankitahuja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon & Delhi
Posts: 887
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
Dear ankitahuja, can you please advise where I can procure the O2 sensors for my OHC type II in NCR? Honda service centres quote a hefty Rs. 16+ k for the replacement
Are you sure it's the O2 sensor that's gone?

I will find out the availability and let you know.
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 14:50   #97
abk
BHPian
 
abk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NOIDA / Gurgaon
Posts: 276
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Are you sure it's the O2 sensor that's gone?

I will find out the availability and let you know.
Yes, as diagnosed by multiple Honda service centres across NCR, it is the Oxygen sensor that has gone kaput.

I will be waiting for your advise. Thanks mate
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 21:38   #98
BHPian
 
johnda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tvla
Posts: 401
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Amazing how parts of the same car wear out with the same consistency across different usage patterns.
1. O2 Sensor. Luckily, mine hasn't given away yet. At 60K kms.
2. Blower switch malfunction. 1st and 2nd blower setting don't work.

3. Speedometer fluctuating. Started at about 55K kms in my car.
4. Loose exhaust : I haven't seen anyone else complain about this, but my stock exhaust went loose about 3 - 4 times. No problems since I switched over to Automech's custom pipes.
I went thru this whole thread and the BOLD area is my problem too -

One morning early this week, after not using the car for about 10 days, i saw the EML or CEL (yellow) light come on. My heart sank, I quickly checked all the wires etc and found all to be ok.. ofcourse I knew that the O2 sensor might be the culprit. I'm hoping to get that checked right away.
Then, the next day I was on a short drive and suddenly the A/C blower which was on 2 just gives up and quickly I pulled over and found that 3 and 4 were working jus fine.
What could be the issue?
Is the yellow light only to do with the emission malfunction?
Is there any option of cleaning the sensor?
Isn't the warranty on the 'OEM' piece as good as the 'after market' one?

Please help. Its sad to see your car have issues and its worse when you dont have a good mech close by (I have to drive 3 1/2 hrs to service my car)
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 22:52   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
pranavt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,628
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

Get it hooked up to a diagnostic reader. Unfortunately the City has a proprietary diagnostic port so you'll have to probably shell out some cash at a large-enough service centre. Sensor cannot be cleaned, you have to buy a new one. Not sure about the blower problem, probably something to do with the electricals.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 23:25   #100
BHPian
 
johnda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tvla
Posts: 401
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Get it hooked up to a diagnostic reader. Unfortunately the City has a proprietary diagnostic port so you'll have to probably shell out some cash at a large-enough service centre. Sensor cannot be cleaned, you have to buy a new one. Not sure about the blower problem, probably something to do with the electricals.
A diagnostic reader - is it the same as a Hi-Scan? I read about it on this thread. And i guess that the HASS would have any and all equip to check this right?
Blower- one person I called said that the 'resistor/ance' has to be changed, didn't quite understand that.
thanks
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 00:22   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
pranavt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,628
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

Yeah, there are multiple available (GNA600, HDS, etc) collectively known as the hi-scan or whatever. Honda *** or other moderately large service centres will have them. The resistor behind the blower switch is probably busted (thought of it myself, wasn't sure), shouldn't be expensive.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 00:48   #102
BHPian
 
johnda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tvla
Posts: 401
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Yeah, there are multiple available (GNA600, HDS, etc) collectively known as the hi-scan or whatever. Honda *** or other moderately large service centres will have them. The resistor behind the blower switch is probably busted (thought of it myself, wasn't sure), shouldn't be expensive.
thanks, will check on it soon, i'm due a service at HASS here in 2 weeks time, i can always book-in ahead of time.
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 08:05   #103
BHPian
 
johnda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tvla
Posts: 401
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

This morning, when I started the car the (EML)light went off and I ran the engine at Idle for about 3 mins and NO light.
*Turned off the engine and started again and the Light was ON.
*Waited 10mins and tried and NO light.
*Turned off the engine and while starting again the Light came ON and has been there since (aagh)

So is this confirmation that its the O2 Sensor that's busted?
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 17:17   #104
BHPian
 
ask77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Agra
Posts: 143
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Could be anything. it can only be confirmed after reading the diagnostic code . Once I had a TPS malfunction and the light came on.
ask77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 10:41   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

Yes there is a high chance of this being the o2s but it could also be some loose contact some where. I suggest get the hi-scan done asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
This morning, when I started the car the (EML)light went off and I ran the engine at Idle for about 3 mins and NO light.
*Turned off the engine and started again and the Light was ON.
*Waited 10mins and tried and NO light.
*Turned off the engine and while starting again the Light came ON and has been there since (aagh)

So is this confirmation that its the O2 Sensor that's busted?
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Malfunction-Indicator light stays on after push-starting car. How serious is this ? supremeBaleno Technical Stuff 18 17th August 2017 16:49
Baleno - Emission Malfunction Light Glowing vensum Technical Stuff 24 25th March 2011 20:32
OHC problem with Malfunction light dhananjay Modifications & Accessories 11 11th March 2008 08:55
Malfunction light glowing in my Innova…. Mr.Bangalore Technical Stuff 5 22nd September 2006 01:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:59.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks