Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2013, 14:38   #136
BHPian

Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
PM me your number. I will call you back. When are you in Kolkata next ?

Yes it is a Vxi trim. I haven't driven the older MPFi models but the 98 carb ones. There is a huge difference there. I don't think there was any difference between a 2003 and a 2007 engine.
Err how do i send private messages?
Old 12th May 2013, 18:11   #137
BHPian

I have bought a Esteem VXi 2007 last month and want to know the followings...

1. Front bumper need to be replaced. The MEG is costing INR 2500 where as aftermarket one is available for around INR 1000. Which is better value to money.

2. The fog lamps are in bad shape and I want to replace. Which one are the best?
Old 4th June 2013, 02:41   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
I have bought a Esteem VXi 2007 last month and want to know the followings...

1. Front bumper need to be replaced. The MEG is costing INR 2500 where as aftermarket one is available for around INR 1000. Which is better value to money.

2. The fog lamps are in bad shape and I want to replace. Which one are the best?
A good coat of paint and you cant tell them apart. Mind you the local bumpers are not that strong compared to the OEM ones.

Get Local Fog lamps, no point in spending too much here.

How many KM has the car done? Get the suspension, drive shaft, steering checked, and If the engine has done high miles then get the head gasket changed.
Old 5th June 2013, 10:24   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
A good coat of paint and you cant tell them apart. Mind you the local bumpers are not that strong compared to the OEM ones.

Get Local Fog lamps, no point in spending too much here.

How many KM has the car done? Get the suspension, drive shaft, steering checked, and If the engine has done high miles then get the head gasket changed.
Hi Captain,

Are the local fog lamps really worth it ? I changed mine twice in the last 1 year. The glass comes off within a couple of months. I think instead of changing 2-3 times in a year its better I buy the OE ones this time.

Also could you please tell me what are the precautionary/periodic maintenance work I need to get done in my car. It has run 74k kms and its a 2007 Jan Vxi. I bought it little more than a year back. I get the engine oil changed every 4k kms, got the engine flushed once, spark plugs changed, rear struts serviced and bushes changed.
Old 9th June 2013, 13:42   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Captain,

Are the local fog lamps really worth it ? I changed mine twice in the last 1 year. The glass comes off within a couple of months. I think instead of changing 2-3 times in a year its better I buy the OE ones this time.

Also could you please tell me what are the precautionary/periodic maintenance work I need to get done in my car. It has run 74k kms and its a 2007 Jan Vxi. I bought it little more than a year back. I get the engine oil changed every 4k kms, got the engine flushed once, spark plugs changed, rear struts serviced and bushes changed.
I guess it would depend on your luck, When I had fog lamps the local rather (so called imported) Made in Taiwan ones lasted me 3-4 years,
Mysteriously one day the glass on the fog cracked! without any stone or any kind of impact or damage. But slowly water started seeping in and I had to get rid of the fogs. After that I never fitted them again.

4K oil change is too early. Mineral oil? Do you also change your Oil filter every time you change oil ? Don't keep flushing the engine.

Check the Pads (front/back)
Check Water pump drive belt -
Engine coolant ( needs replacement every 40,000KM)
Gear Box oil - > 80W 90 (if it hasn't been replaced then replace it once)
Check Drive shaft condition (Drive shaft boot condition)
Tighten all bolts Chassis -(from the underbody of the car)
Check Brake Fuild Levels.
Replace fuel filter.

Once you hits 1L KM Check the engine mounts, Other that this just keep filling her up and DRIVE! This car will never let you down.
Old 10th June 2013, 12:09   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess it would depend on your luck, When I had fog lamps the local rather (so called imported) Made in Taiwan ones lasted me 3-4 years,
Mysteriously one day the glass on the fog cracked! without any stone or any kind of impact or damage. But slowly water started seeping in and I had to get rid of the fogs. After that I never fitted them again.

4K oil change is too early. Mineral oil? Do you also change your Oil filter every time you change oil ? Don't keep flushing the engine.

Check the Pads (front/back)
Check Water pump drive belt -
Engine coolant ( needs replacement every 40,000KM)
Gear Box oil - > 80W 90 (if it hasn't been replaced then replace it once)
Check Drive shaft condition (Drive shaft boot condition)
Tighten all bolts Chassis -(from the underbody of the car)
Check Brake Fuild Levels.
Replace fuel filter.

Once you hits 1L KM Check the engine mounts, Other that this just keep filling her up and DRIVE! This car will never let you down.
Not sure what happens with the fog lamps. Suddenly one day I see the glass not there. So I will get the original ones this time. The issue is because I got it changed so many times the bracket in the bumper has broken. So either I have to change the bumper, or have to take off the bumper and get them fixed which is another big hassle because the headlight et al needs to be removed for that.

Yes, I do use mineral oil. Am contemplating moving to synthetic. Is that change advisable for a car run this much ?

Front brake pads changed 6 months back. Rear ones were checked okay. Suspension was also checked okay.
Engine coolant and the fuel filter was changed an year back when I bought the car. Gear oil was topped up then but I will get it changed.
Brake fluid levels are fine however I see oil all around the container. Was told that its normal to see that in esteem. Also there is oil around the distributor which I was told is normal.
I am planning to get the Drive Shaft and all belts changed soon. Any idea how much the shaft would cost me ? Also planning on getting a 4x2x1 FFE installed. Confused whether I get it done from Automech (13.5k for mild steel and 21k for S.Steel) or from a rally tuner here in Kolkata(10k). He is known for building rally esteems in this circuit. However I am skeptical about hand made versus machine made ones.
Old 10th June 2013, 18:00   #142
Senior - BHPian

I have a 95 model Esteem that has done well over 1.5L KMS and I can attest to what Captain Slow said. This car has never let us down. The engine is still unopened and still on the original clutch. But the suspension needs a overhaul.

A true fill it, shut it, forget it kind of a car.
Old 11th June 2013, 12:02   #143
Senior - BHPian

I had a 2000 Esteem the first batch of MPFI. Changed the front bumper at least 3 times, every time with a local one. Never bothered to paint them.

The only major problem was with AC as the older R12 was just not available.

There is no need for synthetic oil. Mineral is fine as long as it is changed every 5000 km. Do change the oil and air filter with every oil change. Replace the petrol filter every 20k km.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 23:19   #144
BHPian

As i had mentioned in my previous posts i had noticed erratic running of the radiator fan on my 2003 mpfi esteem.we started feeling the engine heat inside the passenger cabin after short runs at low speeds and low revs.

Finally i got to know from my father that the car has started spilling coolant fluid.

Can someone from kolkata give some references to a good and honest service center in kolkata.

Really need your help guys.
Old 7th July 2013, 22:11   #145
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if your car has a distributer or not! I really haven't looked into the G13 BB
But MPFI engines dont need an distributer I think.
The MPFI esteem does have a distributor.

Quote:
I don't think there was any difference between a 2003 and a 2007 engine.
The 2003 Esteems are BS2 and 2007 Esteems are BS3 compliant. An EGR is added in the BS3 variant. The carb Esteems had different gear ratios than the MPFI esteems which are supposedly more fuel efficient.

Fogs : Opted for the local made ones and had bulbs fuse and glass fall within a couple of thousand kms. Replaced them with Minda and have not faced any issues for the last 4 years.

I have 2 Esteems in the family - 1996 carb model (mere dad ki maruti ) and a 2005 type 3 MPFI - both running great.
Old 8th July 2013, 09:40   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashoin View Post
The MPFI esteem does have a distributor.
My 2007 Vxi has a distributor. Had water seep into the distributor a couple of times while driving fast through water. Had to open the distributor and clean it before the car could start again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
As i had mentioned in my previous posts i had noticed erratic running of the radiator fan on my 2003 mpfi esteem.we started feeling the engine heat inside the passenger cabin after short runs at low speeds and low revs.

Finally i got to know from my father that the car has started spilling coolant fluid.

Can someone from kolkata give some references to a good and honest service center in kolkata.

Really need your help guys.
Go to Machino Techno in Park Circus. Meet Mr.D.Kar (Kar da). He is one of the senior guys there. Tell him Sugato has sent you.

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th July 2013 at 11:47. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 8th July 2013, 18:52   #147
BHPian

Quote:
My 2007 Vxi has a distributor. Had water seep into the distributor a couple of times while driving fast through water. Had to open the distributor and clean it before the car could start again.

Go to Machino Techno in Park Circus. Meet Mr.D.Kar (Kar da). He is one of the senior guys there. Tell him Sugato has sent you.

Thanks for the contact Altocumulus.

Just to give an update Auto Hitech sent over an SA to our place to check the damage and it seems the car got so much overheated that the radiator fan motor has melted!!!! On asking him to check the thermostat and the temperature sensors , he said there is no such instrument which can do that.

To double check if this incident could have been averted i contacted the SA in Bangalore who services my car and he promptly came up with the steps normally taken to diagnose and rectify this kind of an issue.

This car holds a certain sentimental value for me and God knows the amount of damage inflicted.

On escalating to the Auto Hitech Workshop manager he is saying that it happened because of the faulty fan.He is totally trying to overshadow the point that me and my dad had been bringing it to their notice that the radiator fan was not running properly and that we had been feeling the heat inside the passenger cabin from last October when i took the car for service.

I have escalated the matter through the Maruti Toll Free no. But i know that the modus operandi for them is to push the service center to provide a resolution.

I have seen so many bad experiences being posted on the net regarding this dealer in Kolkata, still am amazed at the amount of business they bag.

I would request all fellow Team Bhpians to discourage their friends and acquaintances from dealing with Auto HiTech.

Its surprising to see that Maruti , which is a brand which scores mainly on Customer Service has no system to audit the competency of its service networks.
Old 9th July 2013, 09:53   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
Thanks for the contact Altocumulus.

Just to give an update Auto Hitech sent over an SA to our place to check the damage and it seems the car got so much overheated that the radiator fan motor has melted!!!! On asking him to check the thermostat and the temperature sensors , he said there is no such instrument which can do that.

To double check if this incident could have been averted i contacted the SA in Bangalore who services my car and he promptly came up with the steps normally taken to diagnose and rectify this kind of an issue.

This car holds a certain sentimental value for me and God knows the amount of damage inflicted.

On escalating to the Auto Hitech Workshop manager he is saying that it happened because of the faulty fan.He is totally trying to overshadow the point that me and my dad had been bringing it to their notice that the radiator fan was not running properly and that we had been feeling the heat inside the passenger cabin from last October when i took the car for service.

I have escalated the matter through the Maruti Toll Free no. But i know that the modus operandi for them is to push the service center to provide a resolution.

I have seen so many bad experiences being posted on the net regarding this dealer in Kolkata, still am amazed at the amount of business they bag.

I would request all fellow Team Bhpians to discourage their friends and acquaintances from dealing with Auto HiTech.

Its surprising to see that Maruti , which is a brand which scores mainly on Customer Service has no system to audit the competency of its service networks.
Auto Hi Tech is good for buying a new car. One of my friends (also a fellow Team Bhpian) brought his car from there. They offer better deals than the rest of the dealers. However he gets his car serviced from Machino and he is happy with that. Also a lot depends on the relationships you have with SA/Supervisors. A lot of work gets done cheap/free, out of turn assistance, special attention for your car, etc. Sometimes what it just costs you is just a bottle of whiskey during festivities. (experience from Mumbai and Kolkata)

Esteem is a no nonsense car and can take a lot of abuse. Keep it. Am enjoying every bit of it. All my cars have been Maruti till now (except a OHC in between) and am very happy with Maruti Service. Patel Auto in Mumbai and Machino in Kolkata. Though I have a M.A.S.S just 1 km from my place, I travel 11 kms to go to Machino because I am sure my car will be taken care there.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 9th July 2013 at 09:55.
Old 4th September 2013, 14:28   #149
Senior - BHPian

I want to keep my car 2007 Esteem Vxi for the next 4-5 years at least before I change to another one. The idea being saving enough to buy a Honda City or equivalent, preferably a new one which I cannot afford at the moment.

The car is in pretty good shape, with 77k on the odo and a monthly run of about 1200 kms. The engine is silent and is rev happy. The suspension doesn't seem to have any work at the moment and there isn't any visible rust in the car either. The following is the work/replacement I will get done this week.

1. Timing Belt
2. Fan Belt
3. Front wheel bearings
4. Rear brake shoes (front pads are new)
5. Fog lights
6. Drive shaft box, if required
7. Lot of rattling, so will have the dashboard and door pads taken off and refit properly with padding.
8. The tyres still have a lot of life left (BS S322) since it was bought 1.5 yrs back, however may change to Yokos for better ride. Alloys not decided yet.
9. Rear bumper paint

Servicing and engine oil change done every 4k kms (I know its maybe early, but I get it done nonetheless)

Is there anything else that requires to be done ? Also, should I invest in a FFE from Automech (mild steel) or let that be considering I will sell it off in 4 years ( I need a push actually )

The car at the moment :
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Esteem Longevity-esteem-1.jpg  

Maruti Esteem Longevity-esteem-2.jpg  

Old 4th September 2013, 15:24   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The following is the work/replacement I will get done this week.
Your car looks in good shape indeed. Check if your car requires a gear oil/ transmission fluid change. Consider it if not changed in last 30K kms. or so. Also consider the time of last change. Go for it if changed more than 3-4 years ago.
How old are your tyres in terms of Kms? Looks like a lot of thread is still there, hence IMO you should stick to them as of now. Spend the money on wheel balancing and alignment, preferably at an independent tyre shop.
If the brake fluid & coolant is not changed in the last 3 years, consider complete change (& not just a top up).
Replace the air filter if its over 6K kms, else blow clean it. Check spark plug deposits & re-gap them if necessary. Throttle body cleaning may be considered esp. if your drives are in dusty areas & was last cleaned over 5K kms.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 4th September 2013 at 15:26.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks