Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2010, 10:59   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I think she has a point. This is what I posted in the "Alto Vs Spark" thread yesterday:

"If the 800 cc Alto is made available in LXi trim, the entry level buyers will still go for it. In their books more cc = more petrol consumption."

Maruti seems to feel that way too, hence are offering both the 800 cc LXI and the K10 LXi. A person who will stay away from the Spark because of 20K price difference may stay away from the K10 Alto as well.
But, we forget, what about college goers, and people buying their first car?
When I got my first car, I wanted to go for Alto Vxi 1.1, which by then was discontinued. Hence, settled for Zen.

Also, not every tbhp'ian or enthusiast will go for bigger car, could be financial or size restrictions.
Even at my home in mumbai, Dad prefers taking the Zen out when he drives to city, rather than Innova.

If I were to get a second car, and if my second car has to be a small car, I would rather go for this one. (But I won't since, my first car is a small car, swift :P).
Old 6th August 2010, 11:05   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
As against the elder sibling, the all new Alto K10 has been designed with safety and security features like Collapsible steering column, improved suspension system, improved brake system, side impact beams, front fog lamps, headlight leveling device, the child locks on the rear door, central locking, i-CATS to minimizes chances of a burglary and high mounted rear stop lamp.
I guess headlight leveling device, the child locks on the rear door, central locking are already part if Alto 800 itself.
But i agree that 30k price is worth paying for those new engine & dashboard.
Old 6th August 2010, 11:07   #228
BHPian

Mods please remove the post if someone had already mentioned about this in the same thread -

If MS can launch a Automatic with the new Alto around 5L On road, it would be superb value add for all those who are looking for budget automatic. It would also cause a very stiff competition to the Over priced I10 Automatic.
Old 6th August 2010, 11:14   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
If MS can launch a Automatic with the new Alto around 5L On road
5 lakh on road means a whopping 1 lakh alone for the auto box!!??
Old 6th August 2010, 11:16   #230
BHPian

svisible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Excellent observation Melvyn, thank you. I was waiting for someone to mention this. The view of the bonnet is essential for accurate judgement while cornering, parking and maintaining a safe distance from the vehicle ahead. Very few realize the importance and IMHO the view of the bonnet reduces driver's stress and fatigue. This is because our brain receives a direct input from the eyes and this feedback is easier to process. With the bonnet edges not visible, our brain has to constantly evaluate and assume the distance between the bumper and the vehicle in front. Most American and European cars have long tooth design and this is yet another "safety" aspect in disguise greater the distance between the driver and the front bumper, much safer it is for the driver in an event of a head-long collision.

I think old Corollas and Ikons too offer the view of the bonnet edges to some extent. Provided you have seat-belts on, there is no need for air-bags !!
Glad you agree on this issue. Somehow, I always liked cars with a vicible bonnet for exactly the same reasons mentioned by you. Nowadays, most cars have an aerodynamic bonnet which makes it virtually invisible.

That said, I am about 5.11 feet and I could clearly see the bonnet. It could well be possible that a shorter person may not have a full view of the bonnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I think in a way you are right. See the thumbs up from reviews, most of them are/were alto owners including myself. The small things we missed in Alto are present in this varient, and guys don't bother with ABS & Airbags being missing, how many Swift/Santro/i10/i20/Punto on road you see with ABS? its only the top-end varient of the models end up getting ABS. Does that mean other versions are unsafe? An Alto 800cc would do 80kmph happily, now K10 will do 100kmph happily. But Swift/Santro/i10/i20/Punto without ABS also do 120+ happily. But no way they are unsafe, its really about judging the road condition and driving. So I don't see its a miss by Maruti, but yes if they would have given it as option, would have been great.
+1. Most critics -- and there are a few on this forum as well -- harp on the safety issues of the K10. Check up with Harishnayak and he will swear by the old Alto (forget about the K10), after he had a few major mishaps (including one that involved a multiple spin) and lived unscathed to tell his tale on this forum. I feel those who are unnecessarily critical of the K10 have two options -- stay away from the car or else, drive the K10 with a helmet on!

Point is, those who want the K10 (and any Alto for that matter) are rarely obsessed about ABS, airbags, etc. Most of the Alto buyers have either upgraded from a two-wheeler or a Maruti 800 or did not earlier possess a car in the first place. Compared to a 2-wheeler or a Maruti 800, an Alto is definitely a safer option. Then again, most of these Alto buyers are the ones who are not likely to compete with Hamilton or Alonso in a F1 track.

A K10, in my opinion, appeals mainly to existing Alto owners (like myself), who had some issues with the power of the earlier Alto. The K10 now promises 20 BHP more without compromising on the FE (in fact is is now 2kmpl more over the earlier Alto.) The K10 may also deter Alto owners from moving over to the Spark.

Quote:
I think she has a point. This is what I posted in the "Alto Vs Spark" thread yesterday:

"If the 800 cc Alto is made available in LXi trim, the entry level buyers will still go for it. In their books more cc = more petrol consumption."

Maruti seems to feel that way too, hence are offering both the 800 cc LXI and the K10 LXi. A person who will stay away from the Spark because of 20K price difference may stay away from the K10 Alto as well.
I would stay away from a Spark not because of the Rs 20K factor, but because I prefer Maruti's pan-India presence over GM. Having said that, I foresee a number of first-timers opting for the K10 over the Alto 800 because the K10 looks better and promises much more. a much better option if someone is planning to keep a car for 5+ years.
Old 6th August 2010, 11:17   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshA View Post
I guess headlight leveling device, the child locks on the rear door, central locking are already part if Alto 800 itself.
But i agree that 30k price is worth paying for those new engine & dashboard.
For me a high 160 mm ground clearance is also vital as i am always used to driving a car with a decent GC.

Quote:
Mods please remove the post if someone had already mentioned about this in the same thread -

If MS can launch a Automatic with the new Alto around 5L On road, it would be superb value add for all those who are looking for budget automatic. It would also cause a very stiff competition to the Over priced I10 Automatic.
Great idea PAAJI.

This could give sleepless nights for marketing team of Santro xing AT.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 6th August 2010 at 11:20. Reason: Edit.
Old 6th August 2010, 11:27   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Visited ABT Maruti during lunchtime and saw the Alto K10 (same color as posted by theMAG). It was a VXi model and the Sales rep present could not tell me the exact on road price. He said it will be approx 3.65 lacs and that the TD car should reach them this evening.

He also said they are receiving 32 cars in the first lot and the 32 people who book now will get it immediately.

Also leaned that the Alto LXi (800 cc) as well as the Alto LXi (K10) will be available simultaneously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@Gansan, are you sure LXi will come in both 800 and 1000cc versions ?
IIRC, theMag mentioned that LXi will be only in 1000cc engine.
That is what the sales fellow at ABT told me yesterday. I specifically asked him whether the 800 cc will be LX or LXi, and he said both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allajunaki View Post
But, we forget, what about college goers, and people buying their first car?
When I got my first car, I wanted to go for Alto Vxi 1.1, which by then was discontinued. Hence, settled for Zen.
I too would have gone for the Alto VXi if it was available when I bought my LXi. But we are a minority. IMO the average entry level buyer who forms the majority of the buyers in this segment, will still opt for the 800 cc engine. I predict the 800 cc will continue to out sell the 1000 cc Alto.
Old 6th August 2010, 11:31   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

5 Lacs is costly mate. I don't think making Alto Vxi automatic will cost so much. I guess 20-30 K more is enough. But yes, i liked your idea a lot. This alto has everything, good engine, looks, good AC, good FE & last but not least cool price. Added to that if people get Automatic version it will be cherry on cake. It will boost sales a lot. Women will definitely prefer it.
Old 6th August 2010, 11:34   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
It will boost sales a lot. Women will definitely prefer it.
Why women, even I would love it! I have always wanted to drive an automatic but was deterred by the price.
Old 6th August 2010, 11:52   #235
BHPian

I just compared the price close to the I10 Automatic. The cheaper it is, happier I will be.

@ Gansan - Prospective customers will also include my Dad and other Old people, it will be very easy to drive in Chennai traffic. My dad has already given up driving in this traffic.

Last edited by Ananthang : 6th August 2010 at 11:54.
Old 6th August 2010, 11:52   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why women, even I would love it! I have always wanted to drive an automatic but was deterred by the price.
Sure

I am not saying only women will prefer. Many will love it for sure for city ride. I will also love if it will not reduce the FE drastically. Others who are buying it as a second car in the house for the city use mainly and wife can use whenever required, they will just love it.

@ GTO, SID, Mods --> You guys may know how much it will cost to make it automatic ? (Roughly not exact) My guess is 20-30 K max. Correct me if i am wrong.
Old 6th August 2010, 12:12   #237
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the Alto K10 today. Unfortunately no TD car available, so couldn get a drive.

OTR Chennai 3.69 L for Vxi and 3.45 L for Lxi

Visual Impressions:

The Good:
  • The car has presence. The front grille and headlamps are welcome additions and the chr now certainly looks more meaner
  • Well rounded off. The car looks well designed at all corners. Not like a cheap facelift (which maruti is famous for)
  • 3 Spoke Steering is good.
  • Rear legroom is better than previous Altos
  • Boot space is quite good for a car of this segment (and size)
The Bad:
  • The Parcel tray in Vxi really low, thereby effectivley reducing the Boot area. Also, you cannot keep big suitcases, upright.
  • Gear shift lever, though borrowed from Swift seems a tad high. little bit uncomfortable for those who like to drive with their left hand in gear lever
  • Tail pipe (chromed in Vxi) could have had better deisgn - looks out of place
The ugly:
Maruti and Build Quallity ahhaaaa. I dont know where that banging head icon, ya here it is
  • The fit and finish levels leave a loooot to be desired.
  • Inconsistent panel gaps is visible at many places in interiors. The one that stands out is the Glove box.
  • The Quality of plastics is as pathetic as any other car i ve seen (leave the M800 here). Infact my Alto 800 (2003) was better built than this one.
  • The Power windows look like third grade aftermarket ones !!! One smash at it and you can take it with you - Such is the build Quality
  • Doors wont close at a push - since the build quality is so filmsy, you need to give extra effort to close it. (something like a good slap)

Last edited by Mi10 : 6th August 2010 at 12:14.
Old 6th August 2010, 12:15   #238

Maheshaware, Excellent article! very well structured. I'm very proud to see you writing this.
Old 6th August 2010, 12:20   #239
Senior - BHPian

Let's be clear about one thing - almost no one would touch an Alto at 5lakhs, AT notwithstanding.
Infact it is too much of a gamble to move up Alto prices to 4-lakh level itself. If at all MSIL plans to plonk in an AT, it would be in the A-Star.

@Gansan, I think the salesguy would have either meant that 800-Alto would be available in lower 2 trims or he might be misinformed. I doubt that MSIL would create a confusion of having 2 LXis - as it is the same car is coming in different body-shells and engine options.

Someone mentioned that ABS and airbags icons were present in the dashboard, but grayed out. Could this mean possibility of a ZXi at a later date ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 6th August 2010 at 12:21.
Old 6th August 2010, 12:32   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Someone mentioned that ABS and airbags icons were present in the dashboard, but grayed out. Could this mean possibility of a ZXi at a later date ?
Dont think so.. It is mainly due to sharing of parts. I think this dash looks a lot like the Estilo's dash.
Does Estilo come with Airbags?

By that logic, Swift is supposed to have low fuel warning indicator, since it has a provision for light..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks