Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 17:39   #106
BHPian

theMAG - How drivable will the AK10 be on bumper to bumper traffic. This is one major grouse with i10 Kappa.
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2010, 17:40   #107
BHPian

Thanks Mag. My Dad has severe back problem. He was primarily looking at a car with the below characteristics:

1-> Easy ingress/egress
2-> Less bumpy at low/medium speeds
3-> Good for city commute
4-> Decent mileage as 99% driving would be within the city.

Apart from the mileage the other factors still seem to be a suspect. I will ask him to TD it, feel the car before he can take a plunge.

Thanks mate
Old 4th August 2010, 17:41   #108
Team-BHP Support

Have they changed the gearing of Alto from A star, if so that explains the better acceleration. Lot of other factors which if attended to can make the same engine perform different under different hoods.
Old 4th August 2010, 17:43   #109
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review. Liked the comparison 800 alto Vs K10 alto.
Is there an increased space for rear seat passengers than the previous one?
Where has then 125mm being utilized ?
Old 4th August 2010, 17:45   #110
SCH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Thanks Mag. My Dad has severe back problem. He was primarily looking at a car with the below characteristics:

1-> Easy ingress/egress
2-> Less bumpy at low/medium speeds
3-> Good for city commute
4-> Decent mileage as 99% driving would be within the city.

Apart from the mileage the other factors still seem to be a suspect. I will ask him to TD it, feel the car before he can take a plunge.

Thanks mate
With the above points in consideration. Iguess the New Wagon R would be a better choice for your Dad then the Alto k10.
Old 4th August 2010, 17:52   #111
Senior - BHPian

went downstairs to Bhandari Automobiles. They got the TD/Display vehicle delivered today afternoon. It definitely looks very refreshing in person, very matured.

Are all TD / Display vehicles copper colored? because Bhandari has the car in the same color.
Old 4th August 2010, 17:58   #112
BHPian

The frontal side view resembles the new wagonR's. Just wondering about the sales for A-star and estillo.
Old 4th August 2010, 18:00   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I see people going ga-ga over the new Alto..no doubt it is better than the older one but not certainly to go ecstatic about.
It's 45% more powerful than the current model. It shaves off something like 5 seconds in the 0-100 dash.

Quote:
Coming to the new engine, isn't this the same engine which was claimed as unrefined and worst in driveability by the people here (including GTO, refer to the Micra test drive thread)? Now calling it a pocket rocket and what not seems totally contradicotry!
When the weight reduces, performance increases, other things being equal. Classic case in point - Santro 1.1 Irde having better pickup than the i10 1.1 irde, though both are powered by the very same engine. Hence even if the engine + gearbox combo is plonked straight in from the AStar, the Alto has a 110 kg weight advantage working in its favour. In the K10, they have worked on the original Alto's gear box and have done a pretty decent job at that. No flat spots = excellent drivability and that is what the K10 has achieved, even though the gear shifts are not as precise as in the AStar. The segment beating FE is the icing on the cake.

Quote:
When I mentioned in several threads about 0-100 times of different cars, people bashed me saying that those times do not matter. Now I see people dancing with joy over the 13.5 secs time of the Alto..what an irony??
The 'irony' is because earlier the comparison was among the 1.2 L motors. Now we have a 1.0 L unit smoking competition from a segment or two higher.

Last edited by longhorn : 4th August 2010 at 18:04.
Old 4th August 2010, 18:16   #114
Senior - BHPian

With all this excitement i hope and pray that maruti keeps this model going for a while to come.I know it's just been launched but i really hope that maruti does not kill this model once it sees that's (and it will for sure) the new Alto's eating into the A star sales.

I really don't wish to see this model go the Alto vx 1.1 way.Remember maruti even killed the 5 speed 800 to make way for the Alto.
Old 4th August 2010, 18:21   #115
Senior - BHPian

the alto K10 brochure.
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review-untitled1.jpg  

2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review-untitled2.jpg  

2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review-untitled3.jpg  

2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review-untitled4.jpg  

Old 4th August 2010, 18:21   #116
SDP
Team-BHP Support

@TheMag, Brilliant review. And I was thinking only GTO writes great reviews

As a Alto owner, after seeing the first pic in the review, I was thinking "This looks different. Need to compare with current Alto". Scrolled down a bit and discovered the side-by-side pics!

The bonet somehow looks different (nicer) as compared to the current Alto. Loved the way the crease on the bonets continue by the side of the front-grill. Front headlamps look neat, the rear ones could have been better. The tacho and the bigger tyres (besides the HUGE jump in BHP) are a welcome change. The distinctive shape of the rear windshield is gone and is more 'standard' now. I am assuming the LXi comes with Left-ORVM (was not the case when I got my LX few years back).

A few questions->
1. Are rear-defogger, fog-lamps and rear-viper part current Alto VXi?
2. Is the rear-view-mirror of the day-and-night type (like the one in Swift)?
3. Any new colors (possibly exclusive to K10)?
Old 4th August 2010, 18:22   #117
Senior - BHPian

Alto K10 Features Comparison

Alto Vxi Features over Lxi

Exterior :
  • Full wheel covers
  • Front Fog lamps
  • Body side moulding
  • Left ORVM *
Interior :
  • Front power windows
  • Manual central locking
  • Tachometer
  • Key not removed reminder
  • Accessory Socket
  • Fabric inserts on door trims
  • Rear parcel tray
  • Vanity mirror
* Not confirmed if available in Lxi

Last edited by longhorn : 4th August 2010 at 18:28.
Old 4th August 2010, 18:23   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
The i10 Kappa is still faster to 100 Kmph no ?

Attachment 399438

Granted the i10's handling is nothing to write home about, but so is the Alto's, on stock tires. It rolls & understeers quite a bit when pushed, you'd need much stiffer dampers & wider tires to make the Alto handle well.
Hope Fiat will learn somthing from Maruti. Fiat Punto 1.4 is way below the list .
Old 4th August 2010, 18:24   #119
BHPian

Brilliant review

theMAG,
Fantastic review.Nice read.

But can't help wondering what Maruti is upto.
Dzire killed SX4.
Now this pocket rocket will do the same to Estilo,A-Star,Alto 800 etc.(Ritz too? )

One "good" thing about Maruti is they don't want competitors to screw their cars, prefer doing it on their own.
Old 4th August 2010, 18:35   #120
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
theMAG,
Fantastic review.Nice read.

But can't help wondering what Maruti is upto.
Dzire killed SX4.
Now this pocket rocket will do the same to Estilo,A-Star,Alto 800 etc.(Ritz too? )

One "good" thing about Maruti is they don't want competitors to screw their cars, prefer doing it on their own.
I believe this is a good thing. Maruti's portfoilo has got just too many cars, many-a-times with no 'real' differentiator. I mean, how many hatches and tall-boys can a company design, without repeating itself.
They just dish out a lot of options and let the market decide which one flies and which one sinks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks