Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2014, 20:47   #856
BHPian

Re: New AltoK10 Mileage Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by er.sudhansu View Post
I understand that A/C consumes petrol with time. That's why I use it intermittently switching it on/off. And yes I would say it's moderate traffic as I switch 2-3rd gear most of the time. So as I understand it's a normal and not underperforming. I was expecting something around 15-16 as highway mileage is above 21.
This is very surprising! My new 2014 DZire VXi which has run only 650kms till now gives 13-14 kmpl in city conditions (with A/C; either alone or with a co-passenger). I was told this would increase to 15 kmpl after 5000-10000 kms on the odometer. I've been under impression that Alto K10, by virtue of its smaller engine, gives better mileage.
Old 16th October 2014, 12:07   #857
Senior - BHPian

Re: New AltoK10 Mileage Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikred View Post
This is very surprising! My new 2014 DZire VXi which has run only 650kms till now gives 13-14 kmpl in city conditions (with A/C; either alone or with a co-passenger). I was told this would increase to 15 kmpl after 5000-10000 kms on the odometer. I've been under impression that Alto K10, by virtue of its smaller engine, gives better mileage.
Smaller engines tend to consume more at lower speeds, as they have to work harder to maintain power. It is only on highways with 5th gear that a smaller engine shines.
Old 22nd October 2014, 17:22   #858
Senior - BHPian

re: 2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review

In a test ride, I found K10's steering to be really hard as compared to say Beat or Figo. Is it the general case or was there something wrong with the test car?
Old 22nd October 2014, 19:42   #859
BHPian

^^^Must be the latter, the steering is super light which many have found to be a deterrent at high speeds, even though I wouldnt call it 'playstation' like
Old 27th October 2014, 09:28   #860
Senior - BHPian

New Alto K10 launched.

Autocar India carries a report titled New Alto K10 variants explained. The new Alto K10 resembles the Alto 800 and will be available in Vxi (O) trim, a la Ford. Also the car will be now available with an optional AMT gearbox.
link: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-391193.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 27th October 2014 at 09:43.
Old 28th October 2014, 19:14   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
In a test ride, I found K10's steering to be really hard as compared to say Beat or Figo. Is it the general case or was there something wrong with the test car?
Some thing is wrong with test car. The steering is electric assist, so that it is light when the ignition is on, but hard when it is off. The fuse for the electric part must have blown.
Old 27th November 2014, 12:00   #862
BHPian

For all the old k10 owners...i have posted my experience with the car in brief in below post.My experience has been really good for this car.I feel its real value for money as a city run about; I am just copying my old post in an earlier thread.

@mods please connect the link if you feel copying wasnt required...thanks

My K10 has completed 16000 kms.few points to share

1.She has become my primary ride now in city.Even for long distances i prefer using k10 coz of the sheer convinience and practicality it offers.

2.Did to two trips recently,one to coimbatore and other to mangalore.was doing triple digit speeds easily with two people on board.the car offered good road grip and control above 100(tyres are yoko 165).literally i enjoyed the drive with a lots of redlining,fast corners,over takings etc.Braking was also good and i depend heavily on down shifting while braking and cornering.Gave surprise to many big brothers especially to innovas and etios and xylos.But cannot compete with xuv and swift/polos/i20,s except for few minutes at signals.

3.The lack of low end torque was troublesome earlier.But after 10000km the engine has transformed into a different character.driving habits has to be modified to enjoy this engine fully.It revs freely and to utilize this nature you have to play with the stick continuously and will be rewarded handsomely.But still you would miss that low end torque of diesels many times.

4.Icing on the cake is mileage.Heavy redlining with Ac and two pax and negligible luggage gave a mileage of 18km/l on bangalore- mangalore trip via sakleshpur ghats.The car was never tired of redlining and i also felt comfortable after 7 hrs drive with 2 stops.City mileage is around 16 w/o AC.i feel mileage increases with speed.My dad who usually travells in his sunny joine me in mangalore trip and came out surprised with K10.NOw he wants one for him.

5.As discussed many times,safety is the only concern i have with this beauty.So driving this car at high speeds(above 80) shouldn't be done until and unless the road is familiar and good with long visibility.But scores very well as city/short commuter and with loads of practicality and ease of use.Its a real workhorse with FTD charecter

6.Maruti service is ok. But they charged me 3200/- for 15k service without oil change.Dont think its cheap for alto.

To conclude,Alto K10 has got a style and character of its own even though its a cheap option compared to its competitors..........My other ride is a ritz and sunny(my dads).Ritz is a good car but i cant enjoy driving tall boy. Favorite was Verna 2008 model sold last year.But everytime i get behind the wheel of k10,its like a fresh start...

I feel the new k10 will not be good handler.The old k10 had a good posture and tight grip on the road with upgraded tyres..Not sure abt the new one as i feel its slightly taller......

shebin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 13:54   #863
BHPian

I have done about 500 KMs on my new K10 (the old model) and observed the following issues:
1) Steering self-center doesn't seem to work, even at moderate turning speeds of 20-25 kmph.
2) 5th gear doesn't engage smoothly and many a time I have false-shifted to 3rd from 4th. Same goes for reverse; not as easily engaged as 1st or 2nd.
3) Idling RPM drops deeply to around 500 revs during the first 2-3 KM drive.

Are these common?
Old 28th November 2014, 17:35   #864
BHPian

@srinath....
congrats for your new ride.

Regarding the hiccups you have mentioned,i didnt face those with my K10 2012 model.But engine became smooth only after 5k service......
Old 29th November 2014, 20:04   #865
Senior - BHPian

I serviced my K10 in September, at MASS in Delhi. The total cost was around 2600, including service, oil, oil filter, change of radiator fluid. So I cannot fathom how you paid 3200 without oil change.
Old 30th November 2014, 10:50   #866
BHPian

@ AROY
i did a fifteen thousand km service.This was a paid service,but no oil change.they charged for some replacements also.i will try to share the service bill on the forum.
Old 18th December 2014, 21:50   #867
BHPian

Re: 2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath.s View Post
I have done about 500 KMs on my new K10 (the old model) and observed the following issues:
1) Steering self-center doesn't seem to work, even at moderate turning speeds of 20-25 kmph.
2) 5th gear doesn't engage smoothly and many a time I have false-shifted to 3rd from 4th. Same goes for reverse; not as easily engaged as 1st or 2nd.
3) Idling RPM drops deeply to around 500 revs during the first 2-3 KM drive.
Bumping up an earlier post. My vehicle has completed its first service and now the 2nd and 3rd issues are gone. However, there seems to be no respite from the 1st one: the steering doesn't return to its natural position after a turn. Only if the turns are at considerable speed, the opposing action happens, and that too not completely. The last 1/2 turn of the steering needs to be done manually.

I haven't driven many cars to compare behaviours, but the issue doesn't exist in a WagonR that I tried. Nor in a Santro, in which I learned to drive.

The problem seemed to exist on another K10 (which my ASC had arranged for me to cross check) as well.

Is this problem present in all K10s? Would like to hear from fellow owners.
Old 22nd December 2014, 11:34   #868
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys.

The K10 in our family is at 22,000 odd kms now.It is my mom's primary ride and it has been well looked after and serviced.I get to drive it whenever i am in town.

The engine has really opened up post 20,000kms.It pulls very earnestly from 2,500rpm in third! Mid range responses and torque has improved and above 4,000 rpm makes a nice noise too.

Some points:

1.The gearbox though is getting a bit more notchier over time.Especially the 1st-2nd gate.Shifting from 1-2,or 2nd to 1st,or 3rd to 2nd is a bit notchy and doesnt always slot in smoothly.Unlike say 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th or 2nd to 3rd.

3.The steering is not too bad.Its well assisted for the city.And although you cant feel much from it,but its precise and accurate.Its fun throwing it around.

2.There is a vibration from the front right wheel while braking.A sort of rattling and it transmits to the steering.Warped rotors? Tyre pressure is all even and balanced.Still the rattling remains.Especially if i am slowing down from 80 to halt for a speed breaker,gradually.The rattling increases as the speed decreases.

3.The brakes have lost their bite and i think its time the pads are changed.Cost?

Is there any other sort of preventive maintaince that i should do around the 20-25,000 mark? Any places where i should check for wear/tear? Suspensions bushes?

Other than that the car's a gem.Love that engine.No squeaks from anywhere,build quality has been very good.It has seen highway runs with 4 aboard and luggage,plus AC and triple digit speeds for hours.Terrible rain,baking summer,potholed Kolkata and Howrah roads and hasnt missed a beat ever.

Last edited by avishar : 22nd December 2014 at 11:35.
Old 22nd December 2014, 11:51   #869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Hi guys.

The K10 in our family is at 22,000 odd kms now.

2.There is a vibration from the front right wheel while braking.A sort of rattling and it transmits to the steering.Warped rotors? Tyre pressure is all even and balanced.Still the rattling remains.Especially if i am slowing down from 80 to halt for a speed breaker,gradually.The rattling increases as the speed decreases.
Mine has done close to 35k now and there is one VIBRATION issue that seems to be un-rectifiable. The car starts vibrating as soon as it reached 80kmph mark and it feels like it will fall apart if the speed is increased any further. Maruti is not able to help in this regard till now. I have tried everything from alignment, balancing to changing two tyres. I have no other option but to live with it till it is with me.
Old 22nd December 2014, 12:19   #870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Mine has done close to 35k now and there is one VIBRATION issue that seems to be un-rectifiable. The car starts vibrating as soon as it reached 80kmph mark and it feels like it will fall apart if the speed is increased any further. Maruti is not able to help in this regard till now. I have tried everything from alignment, balancing to changing two tyres. I have no other option but to live with it till it is with me.
Whoa! Does this happen only at 80 and reduces as speed increases?

I have never come across this issue.Feels fairly planted at 80,100,120 and the its very smooth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks