Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2013, 18:01   #766
BHPian

re: 2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review

Same in my case too. It's the upshift from 4th to 5th that makes me take my eyes off the road.
Old 6th August 2013, 09:44   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Being a low rpm driver, I'm usually under 2k, meaning that I engage the 5th at around 40kmph speed. The K10 takes it quite well. When in 1st gear, do you notice an unusual jump, when going by 0.9k RPM ?

It's the 4th to 5th for me. I shouldn't, but, I sometimes end up taking my eyes off the road to ensure that it actually is in 5th.
Do not engage the 5th before 60. K10 is a high revving engine. Till you achieve your target speed, please keep the engine in the 2500-3500 band. Not only will you get tremendous performance, but the FE will increase dramatically.

When you are moving around at a slow RPM in lower gears, you place a lot of strain on the engine. This is called slogging, which should be avoided in high RPM engines. In past some engines were designed with a very wide torque band, especially large V8's in the 30's and 40's. In these cars you could actually start in the top gear and accelerate away merrily. With modern engines, which have the torque curve peaked in a narrow range, you have to drive within the torque curve, else both the performance and the FE suffers.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 21:27   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Do not engage the 5th before 60. K10 is a high revving engine. Till you achieve your target speed, please keep the engine in the 2500-3500 band. Not only will you get tremendous performance, but the FE will increase dramatically.

When you are moving around at a slow RPM in lower gears, you place a lot of strain on the engine. This is called slogging, which should be avoided in high RPM engines. In past some engines were designed with a very wide torque band, especially large V8's in the 30's and 40's. In these cars you could actually start in the top gear and accelerate away merrily. With modern engines, which have the torque curve peaked in a narrow range, you have to drive within the torque curve, else both the performance and the FE suffers.
The manual carries information about maximum speed for each gear but not minimum. I should think that Suzuki would have published information of such kind; especially if the users' experience were better at higher RPM's. In my experience, despite the low RPM and high gear, the engine never comes up with the knocking noise.

I am open to changing my methods if you can lead me to a verified source. I am less confident and uncomfortable at higher RPM's; and that's my reason.

Last edited by vinu_h : 6th August 2013 at 21:33.
Old 7th August 2013, 10:45   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The manual carries information about maximum speed for each gear but not minimum. I should think that Suzuki would have published information of such kind; especially if the users' experience were better at higher RPM's. In my experience, despite the low RPM and high gear, the engine never comes up with the knocking noise.

I am open to changing my methods if you can lead me to a verified source. I am less confident and uncomfortable at higher RPM's; and that's my reason.
Verified source is the torque RPM curve. I have yet to see one for the K10 engine.

That said, if you are able to judge the torque (in terms of acceleration from that point onwards), it is easy to check where the torque is low and where it is reasonable. In my experience the torque of the K10 engine is best between 2500 and 4000 RPM. The best FE is at the maximum torque, while the lowest at low torque.

In my K10 I have regularly touched 6000 RPM with no side effects. I have also observed when I drive in the city and the RPM is below 2500 the FE suffers.

You have to spend on two tankful of petrol to test what is the best style.
. One tankful drive as you do.
. One tankful drive between 2500 and 4500 RPM while accelerating and then on 4th if below 55 and 5th if above 55.
Old 10th August 2013, 22:26   #770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Chassis-wise its a good car.Nothing great.No swift dynamics here.I have chucked it around corners at 40-50kmph and you can feel the car tending to understeer.Steering feedback is a bit numb,it does not weigh up much even when you are doing fast direction changes,but its accurate.Much better than an i10.Body roll is not that bad.
Change your tyres. The best investment you can make for your car.
I changed the tyres to Michelin XM1+ 165/65 R13, 3km after taking delivery of the car. Improved stability at speed, better ride, increased grip, more feel from the steering wheel. All these improvements are slight not dramatic, so don't expect the world.
NOS Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2013, 03:37   #771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Being a low rpm driver, I'm usually under 2k, meaning that I engage the 5th at around 40kmph speed. The K10 takes it quite well. When in 1st gear, do you notice an unusual jump, when going by 0.9k RPM ?
Well,i am a low RPM driver as well.Infact sometimes i get this FE bug somedays and i would try and eke out the best FE i can from every one of those damned fuel bars.

Ofcourse somedays i go like a total hoon,especially sunday afternoons on empty nice roads.

In city,there is no trouble shifting at 2k-2.5k,its more than enough for city driving.Dont hustle the car right in the morning,take it nice and easy as it gets warmed up,smooth gearshifts,gentle acceleration and anticipated braking does wonders for the FE.Shift to 3rd by 30,4th by 40 and 5th at 60 and i am done,engine lazily ticking at 2-2.5K.But i really never shift into 5th that slow(At 40),because its around 1500 rpm and way out of the torque band.Engine does slog at that speed.

No trouble with 4-5th,but 1-2 can be a real PIA sometimes.I have perfected this almost straight diagonal slide across the gate for it,has to be firm and smooth.Little bit zig-zag and it will get stuck.Never had this problem in other car which i driven.

Love the K10.Yeah its spartan inside,its based on a century old chassis and plastics are hard so on and so forth.But it has been running like a tank and not one niggle in 20,000km(touchwood).And when that needle passes 2000rpm,leave so many cars in the city in the dust.

Last edited by avishar : 11th August 2013 at 03:42.
Old 11th August 2013, 11:39   #772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
Change your tyres. The best investment you can make for your car.
I changed the tyres to Michelin XM1+ 165/65 R13, 3km after taking delivery of the car. Improved stability at speed, better ride, increased grip, more feel from the steering wheel. All these improvements are slight not dramatic, so don't expect the world.

Even I changed to XM1 straight out of the show room. Does wonders to the handling and FE compared to the stock tyres.
Old 11th August 2013, 17:05   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Verified source is the torque RPM curve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Well,i am a low RPM driver as well.Infact sometimes i get this FE bug somedays and i would try and eke out the best FE i can from every one of those damned fuel bars.
It is reasonable to assume that some drivers keep the RPM low to get more kmpl out of it. That is not why I drive that way.

Quote:
I am less confident and uncomfortable at higher RPM's; and that's my reason.
Old 11th August 2013, 18:52   #774
Senior - BHPian

So far a mystery, but not anymore. The Alto K10 has been crash tested and comes out with terrible results, actually scary.

Thanks to Latin NCAP for throwing light on cars like Etios & K10 so that we in developing countries are armed with knowledge on this important aspect.

READ MORE here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...atin-ncap.html

Last edited by Mpower : 11th August 2013 at 18:54.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2013, 22:18   #775
BHPian

Not a big surprise frankly. I had anticipated this fact while going for the k10. I don't think any other car on this side of 4 lacs will offer proper passenger safety. Maybe they'll score one star, or even two, but that hardly matters in practical driving conditions. But the question is, shouldn't the government impose strict rules regarding vehicle safety? Besides the people are more concerned about the mileage in India, rather than anything else. People give a damn to safety here. We seriously need to change this mentality in our country.
Drive safe, regards
Old 12th August 2013, 00:03   #776
Senior - BHPian

a sub 2L car from a different indian manufacturer passed the euro NCAP (stricter) with an expected 4 stars
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 06:46   #777
BHPian

Well, hat's off to tata for that, but then let's not make this a car A vs car B shootout. The lesson our manufacturers should be taught is that even a common man who looks out to buy an A segment hatch deserves safety. Even he has his family waiting for him each day after work. Till then what we can do is drive safe, always buckle up, use the ORVMs wisely, follow the traffic rules, know our limitations and PRAY BEFORE DRIVING (yes this is very important in India even if you are in an Army tank)
P.S: My post was not to offend A segment car owners who have better safety ratings for their cars.
shreyan_k10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 17:45   #778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyan_k10 View Post
Not a big surprise frankly. I had anticipated this fact while going for the k10. I don't think any other car on this side of 4 lacs will offer proper passenger safety.
I think the Chevy Spark gets 3-stars in Euro NCAP, which is known to be a tougher test
Old 13th August 2013, 18:19   #779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
a sub 2L car from a different indian manufacturer passed the euro NCAP (stricter) with an expected 4 stars
Right Greenhorn, but it was achieved with some serious modifications like modifying the structure by adding some reinforcements and adding air bags. I think the Alto was not tested by adding any such mods. Also, the speed of the crash was reduced for the Nano testing, don't know why.
The actual acid test will be when the cars rolling right out of factory are crash tested without any modifications.

Last edited by saket77 : 13th August 2013 at 18:21.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 22:08   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I think the Chevy Spark gets 3-stars in Euro NCAP, which is known to be a tougher test
i highly doubt if it is the same spark that we get in India. the spark was sold in the european markets for a long time, i don't think it was the same. also it had airbags. and IIRC the rating was 2.5. the spark has a better build no doubt, but still a crash test of the one sold in India will clear all doubts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Right Greenhorn, but it was achieved with some serious modifications like modifying the structure by adding some reinforcements and adding air bags. I think the Alto was not tested by adding any such mods. Also, the speed of the crash was reduced for the Nano testing, don't know why.
The actual acid test will be when the cars rolling right out of factory are crash tested without any modifications.
+1 to that. the european norms would in no way accept cars that are sold in India in their original form.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks