Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2012, 20:05   #676
BHPian

re: 2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review

I've seen some new K10's. MY neighbours K10 engine sounds worse than a big steel vessel being hit hard by sticks. Above average sound levels every morning while starting and literally feels like the aluminium engine is trying very hard to avoid the cacaphony but to no avail.

This car is driven by an uncle who never revs hard, and he always idles in the morning unlike many maruti owners. On asking he said "i don't know why, but yes, the sound is loud". No problems otherwise. Mileage in city for him is close to 13 he says and highways gives a constant 20.

Is this a particular thing with the new K10's?
Old 19th August 2012, 20:31   #677
Senior - BHPian

To all K10 owners- I have a problem. The fuel tank flap does not shut after refill due to stuck locking arrangement. I have this car from Nov 2010 and have this problem since day one.
Service centre has done all they can but the issue keep cropping up. They have greased the system, aligned it, even changed the entire system once but the flap refused to shut again.
A couple of times I have inserted paper or cardboard between body and flap to keep it shut after refill. The lock came back in place on its own after some time.

Any Idea how this problem can be tackled. (Worst thing is that the car is used by my wife and its me who take it out when refueling is required.)
Old 20th August 2012, 00:38   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The K10 engine is there in the Alto K10, Zen Estilo and the Wagon R. Alto being the the lightest will give the best FE in all the scenarios, provided you drive within the specified RPM range. On highways the Alto will give the best FE, but being lighter will jump around more than the heavier Wagon R.
I have driven Alto and Wagon R, both and have K10 Waggie at home. Alto rides better at higher speeds than Wagon R. Its only in city driving that Wagon R has an edge. On the highways, Alto remains stale the way you dont expect such a small hatch to. Much better than Eon. Also, Alto is more stable during braking and high speed emergency maneuvers. However, the Alto is based on earlier generation Wagon R, and the new Wagon R is two generations ahead and hence I consider it safer than Alto.

But, ride quality at highway speeds = Alto, not Wagon R.

Regarding FE, the TBC ( throttle body cleaning ) is required due to pathetic quality of fuel. I dont know why, but now even my daily drive, Baleno, needs one very quickly within just 15K of earlier TBC job. The reason generally offered :The recent petrol price variations have led the fuel pump owners believe that they are losing money on every litre of fuel and margins have become less or even negative. Hence they are compromising on fuel quality.
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:13   #679
BHPian

I am in the market for a small city car. I will be using it as a replacement for my unicorn (which I will sell) .

I like the wagon R , because I am 6' and heavy.

I test drove the Alto (non K10) and found that it has amazing room for me inside once I get in. The getting in part was difficult.

I sat inside the Alto K10 in the dealership and somehow felt that the K10 did not have the same driver leg room as the Alto.

Is this correct or am I imagining things?

Since this will be my 4 th car, I just want a very very practical car with Aircon and Power steering at the lowest possible budget. I have tried Santro (awkward seating for driver) , Eon (looks weird) , Wagon R (awesome) , Alto ( kind of awesome , once I get into it) , K10 Alto (some how not as roomy as the plain Alto for the driver).

Kindly advise.

Last edited by rrnsss : 22nd August 2012 at 19:15.
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:13   #680
Senior - BHPian

If it suits your image and refinement requirements, Nano has waay more room than an Alto. Otherwise Waggie all the way.
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:24   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
I am in the market for a small city car. I will be using it as a replacement for my unicorn (which I will sell) .

I like the wagon R , because I am 6' and heavy.

I test drove the Alto (non K10) and found that it has amazing room for me inside once I get in. The getting in part was difficult.

I sat inside the Alto K10 in the dealership and somehow felt that the K10 did not have the same driver leg room as the Alto.

Is this correct or am I imagining things?

Since this will be my 4 th car, I just want a very very practical car with Aircon and Power steering at the lowest possible budget. I have tried Santro (awkward seating for driver) , Eon (looks weird) , Wagon R (awesome) , Alto ( kind of awesome , once I get into it) , K10 Alto (some how not as roomy as the plain Alto for the driver).

Kindly advise.
There is no difference in K10 and std Alto wrt space. I had a 2006 alto and it was cramped ( I am 6'1). The only way I could feel a little comfortable is to move the driver seat all the way back. But that would mean no space at all for anyone to sit behind me. But I have heard that the new alto has some scoops on the front seats to liberate some legroom, but I doubt it would be of too much help. The wagonR would definitely be a better bet than the alto for space and comfort.
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:03   #682
Senior - BHPian

With the font seats pushed back, the Alto K10 has ample leg space. In that mode it practically a two seat car. If you are going to be the only occupant, the K10 is the car to have for city driving.

With VXi you get all the goodies, and with current discounts at a price extremely difficult to match.
Old 24th August 2012, 19:32   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the K10 is the car to have for city driving.
Jury is still out on that.

My cousin recently bought a K10 and regrets it because when it comes to low end torque for crawling in traffic, he says the Alto800 is far superior. Not to mention the car is smaller on the outside for parking in tight spots and making tight u-turns.
Old 25th August 2012, 16:19   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

My cousin recently bought a K10 and regrets it because when it comes to low end torque for crawling in traffic, he says the Alto800 is far superior. Not to mention the car is smaller on the outside for parking in tight spots and making tight u-turns.
The Alto 800 or K10 have the same width and same turning circle. The K10 is about 150mm longer. So parking is a breeze in both the versions.

As far as stop and go traffic is concerned, K10 is quite upto it, as long as you remember that it is a high revving engine. You can merrily travel between 20 and 40 in second gear; as I do; without any hit to FE. In fact frequent changing of gears at around 30 will hit FE massively.

I did have some low end torque problem after a year. My normal travel is 1/2 km. Stop. 1/2 more and then stop, as I travel from site to site all nearby. After getting the throttle body cleaned, the low end torque has become phenomenal. This mode gives me between 9 and 11 km/l. Whereas on highways with full AC at 100 most of the way I got 19+. A few have topped 25km/l down south.

K10 surprisingly gives better FE than Alto 800, both in heavy traffic and on highways. So on the whole I prefer the K10 to the 800 version of Alto.

Last edited by Aroy : 25th August 2012 at 16:25.
Old 25th August 2012, 20:37   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
And juries sometimes get it wrong! (Apple - Samsung).
Except for the AC (and I must admit this, to me, is HUGE), I prefer the M800 (5 speed) to the Alto K10 for city use.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 26th August 2012, 20:16   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
And juries sometimes get it wrong! (Apple - Samsung).
Except for the AC (and I must admit this, to me, is HUGE), I prefer the M800 (5 speed) to the Alto K10 for city use.

Regards
Sutripta
but that model was short lived. Any way today the 800 is no longer available, at least in the metros, and Alto K10 as you indicated is the best there is at this time in this segment.
Old 26th August 2012, 20:43   #687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and Alto K10 as you indicated is the best there is at this time in this segment.
I don't think I have indicated the Alto K10 as the 'best' anywhere!
It is one of a number of options in the cheap and cheerful city runabout category. And in absolute terms, ALL of these have significant compromises. One should be clear about what one wants, and find out which product gives the best fit. Best fit is not the same as best in absolute terms. And the best fit will vary from person to person.

I think the community is better served if we, the senior members, steer clear of hyperbole. This is especially important in this case because we might be influencing the judgment of people who are first time buyers, and to whom a car is a very significant investment.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 20:58   #688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Alto 800 or K10 have the same width and same turning circle. The K10 is about 150mm longer. So parking is a breeze in both the versions.

As far as stop and go traffic is concerned, K10 is quite upto it, as long as you remember that it is a high revving engine. You can merrily travel between 20 and 40 in second gear; as I do; without any hit to FE. In fact frequent changing of gears at around 30 will hit FE mas
Regardless of numbers, if the car is shorter then its easier to park in tight spots. End of story AFAIC.

Its not question of whether the K10 is acceptable or not. I have been told from people who migrated directly from 800 to K10 that the former is superior for low end torque while the K10 needs to be revved.

Last edited by Mpower : 27th August 2012 at 17:56.
Old 26th August 2012, 23:58   #689
BHPian

I found the Base Alto (M800) , to be more spacious for the driver and much easier to drive around than the K10 Alto . Alto (M800) is smallest of the lot. followed by Wagon R , followed by the alto K10. Really loved the Alto, only problem was , it was difficult for me to get out of the car. For a city car, the Alto (m800) is my pick , but nothing beats the Wagon R . Alto, Alto k10 and Wagon R all are the same width 1475 mm
Old 29th August 2012, 20:46   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
I've seen some new K10's. MY neighbours K10 engine sounds worse than a big steel vessel being hit hard by sticks. Above average sound levels every morning while starting and literally feels like the aluminium engine is trying very hard to avoid the cacaphony but to no avail.

This car is driven by an uncle who never revs hard, and he always idles in the morning unlike many maruti owners. On asking he said "i don't know why, but yes, the sound is loud". No problems otherwise. Mileage in city for him is close to 13 he says and highways gives a constant 20.

Is this a particular thing with the new K10's?
Taken aback at reading this! While a 3 pot can never have the refinement of an engine which is better endowed, my K10 does not remotely sound anything like what has been described above (other K10 owners can also share their thoughts on this). This probably calls for an urgent trip to the ***. Would be interested to know what could be behind this

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks