Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2012, 11:46   #646
Senior - BHPian

re: 2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
...its shakky nature during idling and jerky riding when A/C is ON.
I have been using an Alto 800 for quite some time now....with the A/C on, the idling is smooth, and the engine-running is also smooth (no jerking) when driving, as long as it is kept in its optimum power-band.

Yes, the peak engine power is nothing to write home about (you need to downshift to third gear if you need to overtake quickly), but it does its job well.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 30th April 2012 at 11:48.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:56   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
....with the A/C on, the idling is smooth, and the engine-running is also smooth (no jerking) when driving, as long as it is kept in its optimum power-band.
Nice to hear that your Alto 800 doesn't jerks with A/C on . But i wonder i always felt jerking with A/C on, especially during compressor turn on/off. I can experience it clearly while decelerating.
Also while overtake shifting to third gear with A/C On makes me feel that the engine is struggling. (Alto 800 is not so rev-friendly) so i normaly turn off the A/C while overtaking.
Old 30th April 2012, 14:01   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
... i always felt jerking with A/C on, especially during compressor turn on/off. ...
Please have it checked at a competent workshop or the MASS. This doesnt sound like normal behaviour of the engine.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 09:27   #649
Senior - BHPian

With AC on, the idling RPM is increased by the ECU in modern cars and by a dedicated relay in older cars. In case you are traveling at close to idling RPM (1000 in my car), then every time the AC switches on or off the ECU will try to adjust the RPM. In case your car jerks a lot at idling then the engine mounts may have gone soft. Please get them checked ASAP.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:18   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
With AC on, the idling RPM is increased by the ECU in modern cars and by a dedicated relay in older cars. In case you are traveling at close to idling RPM (1000 in my car), then every time the AC switches on or off the ECU will try to adjust the RPM. In case your car jerks a lot at idling then the engine mounts may have gone soft. Please get them checked ASAP.
Actually i sold my Alto 800 a month back to my cousin, Will ask him to check this issue in MASS ASAP.
Old 5th May 2012, 03:13   #651
Senior - BHPian

Are the front seats on K10 set slightly higher? there is barely any headroom for my 5.8 frame in front.

I travelled in a K10 for the first time in my life 3 days ago.
Punchy engine was impressive even with 5 on board.

AC was not as effective at rear even though it was at blower setting 2, this is at 1.00Pm in Pune in month of MAY with sun beating @ 40 deg.

Rear seats were more comfortable than the narrow front seats.
Old 14th May 2012, 22:48   #652
BHPian

VLT of the tinted glasses.

Due to the recent sun film tamasha I've been curious to know what is the VLT of my cars' glasses. I just realized Maruti has been advertising "tinted glasses" as one of the comfort features on the K10. Does anyone know what the VLT is?
Old 15th May 2012, 18:59   #653
Senior - BHPian

Re: VLT of the tinted glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Due to the recent sun film tamasha I've been curious to know what is the VLT of my cars' glasses. I just realized Maruti has been advertising "tinted glasses" as one of the comfort features on the K10. Does anyone know what the VLT is?
I have noticed one interesting thing about tinted glass. It does not exhibit much tint in Delhi, but when I had gone to Mumbai long ago the tinted glasses would seem much darker in the sun at sea side.
Old 15th May 2012, 19:05   #654
BANNED

Re: VLT of the tinted glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
This rule is not applicable for company-provided tinted glasses.
Old 16th May 2012, 17:45   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Are the front seats on K10 set slightly higher? there is barely any headroom for my 5.8 frame in front.
Hey,

Possibly the car you travelled in had extra Padding on the seatcovers or something. i'm 5'11 and have not had this problem. Been driving the K10 for as while. Just about to send it for the 40k Service. Seems strange what you mentioned.
Old 17th May 2012, 12:03   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have noticed one interesting thing about tinted glass. It does not exhibit much tint in Delhi, but when I had gone to Mumbai long ago the tinted glasses would seem much darker in the sun at sea side.
I'm sure it is not sensitive to humidity .

It was probably the effect of the sea - I mean the colour. I do feel my K10's glasses have a slight green tinge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
This rule is not applicable for company-provided tinted glasses.
I know. But I was still curious since they seem to advertise the "tinted glass" as a feature. They might as well have mentioned the percentage.
Old 30th May 2012, 13:50   #657
Senior - BHPian

Had an opportunity to drive the Alto K10 for some time this week end. The engine is peppy, the AC is good, but the sore point is the lack of low end torque. I struggled with downshifts and acceleration to keep the revvs high. Taking on speed breakers in second gear is a no no, and switching from a Santro to this car was a pain. The mid and high range torque, however, compensates the drawback and on empty roads you can really push this little car.

Getting in and out was fairly easy and reminded me of my M800 days. The space is surprisingly not as small as I thought (specially when compared to the Santro). Controls are well laid out as are the pedals.

Overall the package is good however I won't go for it for the lack of low end torque. It seems the Santro has spoilt me!
Old 30th May 2012, 20:41   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
...but the sore point is the lack of low end torque. I struggled with downshifts and acceleration to keep the revvs high. Taking on speed breakers in second gear is a no no, and switching from a Santro to this car was a pain.
The lack of torque at the bottom end makes this car quite difficult in traffic. I wish it had better low-end response, especially for city driving.

Quote:
The mid and high range torque, however, compensates the drawback and on empty roads you can really push this little car.
Exactly. On an open road, this car is real good fun! Keep the revs high, around 3-4k, and she absolutely flies! Love the car for that
Old 31st May 2012, 09:15   #659
Senior - BHPian

Alto K10 has a high revving engine, so do not expect to slog it at low RPM.

Here is what I do
. Keep the RPM above 1500, especially at low speed. Once you overcome the reluctance to driving at high RPM, you will find that the lack of low RPM torque is a thing of past.

. With AC on drop, down to the first gear while negotiating speed breakers and corners. It will become a second nature after some time

Please remember that this engine can go upto 6K+ RPM, so do not hesitate in revving it up. Further driving in the band of 1500-2500 will consume less fuel than driving at or below 1500, especially in lower gears, and this has been my personal experience.

The Santro engine has excellent low end torque, but I doubt it revs up much, hence you get used to driving at low RPM, in contrast with high revving engine you have to get used to driving at higher RPM, at least in the first three gears.
Old 31st May 2012, 17:28   #660
BHPian

Agreed. Initially even I had some issues with the engine stalling over speedbumps. However I have gotten used to the high revving engine and as aroy said, keeping it in between 1500 to 3000 RPM is ideal.

Just finished a 550km highway run and am glad to report a mind blowing mileage of 25.5kmpl with 100% ac usage and some steady driving at 80 to 90kmph. Just loved the car for its eagerness to lunge at the slightest press of the pedal.

Sometimes I felt an urge to shift up from fifth into sixth, But the car doesn't have one. :-(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks