Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2012, 12:46   #691
Senior - BHPian

re: 2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review

AS per Motoroids report (based on ET article) Alto K10 CNG variant is expected to be launched soon:

Maruti Suzuki Alto K10 CNG to be Launched Soon | Motoroids

It would just help sell few thousands more IMO.
Old 30th August 2012, 13:29   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Would be interested to know what could be behind this
If you've heard the old cast iron F8d engine it not refined but doesn't sound like the clang cling i've seen on k10's. (only on k10's, not on K12's)

The car is in immaculate condition. 8000 Km in 1.5 yrs. Serviced regularly also. Maybe it's a few k10's that sound like this.

Anyone body else concur?
Old 30th August 2012, 15:49   #693
BHPian

My K10 is a little over 2 years old and is just about to go for the 50k service this weekend. No cling klang and other apparently disturbing sounds from the engine so far. I would really like to know the cause behind it.

PS: my K 10 has run with a Universal KnN And the exhaust changed from the cat onwards for about 30k Km. no issues what so ever so far.
Old 31st August 2012, 11:56   #694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I have been told from people who migrated directly from 800 to K10 that the former is superior for low end torque while the K10 needs to be revved.
I migrated from M800(MPFI) to Alto 800 to Alto K10. No doubt on M800 being superior for low end torque but that's about it. It is inferior in most of the other aspects. Alto K10 is real fun to drive car and lot better than Alto 800 in Gurgaon's pot holes, Delhi's jams or Greater Noida Expressway. (I am not comparing M 800 5 gears version as it was different car altogether)

I think that people who have M 800 have a lot of sentimental attachment with it rather than practical one. (I, for one, still feel sad to loose one)
Old 31st August 2012, 22:17   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
I've seen some new K10's. MY neighbours K10 engine sounds worse than a big steel vessel being hit hard by sticks.
Is this a particular thing with the new K10's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
If you've heard the old cast iron F8d engine it not refined but doesn't sound like the clang cling i've seen on k10's. (only on k10's, not on K12's)

The car is in immaculate condition. 8000 Km in 1.5 yrs. Serviced regularly also. Maybe it's a few k10's that sound like this.

Anyone body else concur?
My take: Neither of the engines is a paragon of refinement, the K10 slightly less so. If you think the F8 is acceptable, then so is the K10. (Incidentally the F10 obviously is smoother, but it is the F8 (and of course the K10) which I prefer redlining.)

Since I drive myself, don't hear the engine from outside. After reading your post, I did that experiment. Would say there is something wrong with your neighbour's car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As far as stop and go traffic is concerned, K10 is quite upto it, as long as you remember that it is a high revving engine. You can merrily travel between 20 and 40 in second gear; as I do; without any hit to FE. In fact frequent changing of gears at around 30 will hit FE massively.
I know we live in different cities, but to me in my city, city driving is defined by having to crawl in traffic, and frequent stops/ almost stops. 20 Kmph would be driving briskly, 40 sprinting.

Quote:
Regardless of numbers, if the car is shorter then its easier to park in tight spots. End of story AFAIC.
Actually, have never thought 'Wish I had the Alto 800 now instead of the K10. Could then have parked in this spot.' Am sure figures will bear you out, but perception wise, parking for both are identical. (Also on a matter of perception, a few mm extra in width makes a huge difference to me. One of the reasons why I did not pick up the A*, which has a far more capable chassis.)

Back to length, what is certainly not identical is the approach angle! A result of the increased overhang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I migrated from M800(MPFI) to Alto 800 to Alto K10. No doubt on M800 being superior for low end torque but that's about it. It is inferior in most of the other aspects. Alto K10 is real fun to drive car and lot better than Alto 800 in Gurgaon's pot holes, Delhi's jams or Greater Noida Expressway. (I am not comparing M 800 5 gears version as it was different car altogether)

I think that people who have M 800 have a lot of sentimental attachment with it rather than practical one. (I, for one, still feel sad to loose one)
For my city runabout, my progression was M800 - Zen - M800 5 spd - Alto K10. And I drive/ have driven quite a few other cars. And have sold/ scrapped enough cars. Don't think I'm sentimental about cars.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 31st August 2012, 23:48   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
For my city runabout, my progression was M800 - Zen - M800 5 spd - Alto K10. And I drive/ have driven quite a few other cars. And have sold/ scrapped enough cars. Don't think I'm sentimental about cars.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta, going by the above progression I would assume that the M800 5 spd was a step up from the Zen in terms of overall driving experience, is that the case? Incidentally I have driven only the 4 spd plain vanilla M800 and never had the opportunity to step into a 5 spd, did I miss out on much?

regards
Old 1st September 2012, 21:16   #697
Senior - BHPian

^^^
The 5 spd was essentially the Alto in the clothes of a M800.

One thing I cannot overemphasise: All these cars have pretty severe compromises somewhere or the other. And some surprising strengths. It is upto you to decide what is important and what is not, and choose accordingly. I am happy with my choices, but these might be terrible for some other person. It would be stupid of anyone trying to force his choice down everyone elses throat.

Interestingly, I had gone to buy the Alto VX (with the F10 engine). The hot hatch of the day. A giant killer. However, more than one test drive left me very disillusioned. I chose the 800 5 spd, which to me better delivered what I wanted. A more balanced car. In a crowded city like Calcutta it is a better driving experience than the Zen. And the Altos then available (ie the 800 and the 1.1)

Similar is the case with the K10. Test drove the A* auto. Chose the Alto K10.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 1st September 2012 at 21:18.
Old 1st September 2012, 22:17   #698
Senior - BHPian

I agree that every car, especially the less expensive hatch is a compromise. You choose what you want and get a suitable machine. In my case I wanted one that could be driven in an extremely crowded environment and narrow spaces. As I will be the only occupant, leg space was the major criteria. It does not matter if the seat is pushed all the way back, there is no one there.

Regarding low end torque, you need not worry. Just drive the K10 at lower gear at high RPM, and you do not have to worry about power. In fact the FE improves if you drive above 1500 RPM.
Old 2nd September 2012, 20:21   #699
Senior - BHPian

^^^
If only all your posts regarding the Alto K10 were as balanced.

Also I would think in an automobile enthusiasts forum, one should refrain from preaching (repeatedly) to others on very basic aspects of driving.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 4th September 2012, 04:42   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Actually, have never thought 'Wish I had the Alto 800 now instead of the K10. Could then have parked in this spot.' Am sure figures will bear you out, but perception wise, parking for both are identical. (Also on a matter of perception, a few mm extra in width makes a huge difference to me. One of the reasons why I did not pick up the A*, which has a far more capable chassis.)
Hmm...I wonder if its because you park in the VIP spots
Just that I've seen people in 'old city' type neighborhoods try to squeeze cars between trucks and bullock-carts where every inch seems to matter
Quote:
For my city runabout, my progression was M800 - Zen - M800 5 spd - Alto K10. And I drive/ have driven quite a few other cars. And have sold/ scrapped enough cars.
Interesting! I'd be interested in your opinion/verdict on the Nano.
Old 4th September 2012, 20:15   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm...I wonder if its because you park in the VIP spots
Just that I've seen people in 'old city' type neighborhoods try to squeeze cars between trucks and bullock-carts where every inch seems to matter
Interesting! I'd be interested in your opinion/verdict on the Nano.
Well, there's more to parking than length. eg Omni and M800.

Discuss Nano in the Alto K10 thread. Maybe in the DLair!

Regards
Sutripta
Old 4th September 2012, 20:41   #702
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT.

I too drive a K10 now a days - not the Alto K10, but its taller brother - the WagonR. Me too graduated from F series engine (F10 D).

While the F10 D is a champ at delivering power lower down the revv range, its the K10 that brings a smile to face for being more free revving. The kick after 2000 rpm, specially in 3rd gear after 40 kmph and in 4th gear after 80 odd kmph is *addictive*.

The engine too does not sound strained as in the case of F series. Initially it takes some time to adjust to this engine if you are coming from M800/Santro background, but when you do, it brings a smile to the face everytime you drive it.

Last edited by DCEite : 4th September 2012 at 20:42.
Old 12th September 2012, 19:47   #703
BHPian

Couldnt Maruti offer its customers the option of adding the LPG kit that is presently used in the Wagon R Duo as an after sales fitment? Considering the price of petrol, this is the need of the hour. I tried to contact the honchos at MSIL but they replied that it was not possible. I am not convinced. If the Waggie can have it with the same engine, why not the K10? Great fuel economy with great engine performance would be a killer combo!
Old 15th October 2012, 09:19   #704
BHPian

Booked a Alto K10 to replace the old family Maruti 800 Mpfi now driven by mom for past 5 years. delivery expected on coming Saturday.

was thinking to go in for a Hyundai, but was tempted by the killer pricing we got for the M800 from TrueValue: 65k for a 2000 M800 MPFI EX model with 5-speed gear box: i never expected so much for a non-ac car to be honest! Dealer said he had never seen a 12 year old car in such impeccable condition, but i think this was just smooth sales talk! Plus we also got 20K loyalty bonus and 25K company discount for K10 (was 30k for the p/8 model Alto which was 30k cheaper overall).

All this meant, we paid just 2.63L for a brand new Alto K10! Anyone still wonders why these Maruti fellows rule the market?

PS: WHat is a good price for a 12 year M800 MPFI EX model?

PS-2: Is the cling-klang sound being talked about a reference to tappet noise?

Last edited by COUGAR : 15th October 2012 at 09:33.
Old 15th October 2012, 23:30   #705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
PS: WHat is a good price for a 12 year M800 MPFI EX model?
About a few months ago when we were contemplating whether or not to remove our ageing 800 DX 5 Speed 2002 model, the car had just run 16000 kms then and was in immaculate condition. A few dealers quoted me 65k for the car instantly. However, that was the quote given by the dealers without any negotiation from my side and thus I would like to believe that 70-75k would be quite gettable. And hence, it is safe to say that you seem to have got a decent bargain on your 800. Having said that congratulations on your new purchase.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks