Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2012, 19:14   #706
BHPian

re: 2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review

Great review!.
To be honest, i wasn't a fan of the Alto(until i read this review) it's because i find them in every nook and corner.
But, the K10 looks really good and seems to perform good as well.
I see the shades of the ol' Zen in this little Suzuki.
I was actually looking for a replacement for my Santro and i think i have found the right one !
And BTW, i need to know what's the real world FE in city conditions with A/C on? K10 owners, can you guys brief me about it? Would be of great help!
Old 28th October 2012, 08:56   #707
BHPian

Anywhere from 16-22 kmpl depending upon city or highway driving. Also, the bunk from where you refill plays a part. I consistently get higher mileage when i use a couple of bunks while as the neighbourhood bunk seems to revel in adulteration, which reflects in my odometer.
Old 28th October 2012, 11:44   #708
Senior - BHPian

The FE is highly dependent on the driving style and conditions Here is what I get

. Highway driving 90 - 110km/h with AC : 19+. People have got 25+ without AC
. Normal city driving with AC, where you occasionally hit 60+ : 14-15
. Heavy traffic with AC : 12
. Extremely short distances (1/2-1km at a time) : 8-10

In short the FE is slightly better than similar cars, but nothing great. What is spectacular is the acceleration and the general drivability to the extent that you can be way ahead of the others in a red light sprint.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2012, 23:34   #709
BHPian

Recently I completed a chandigarh-Shimla-Naldehra back trip with 30% AC use and lot of 2nd gear and traffic jams within Shimla as well as Shimla-Naldehra run and got 19.8 kmpl mileage. I thought that was pretty good number
Old 3rd November 2012, 22:14   #710
BHPian

[quote=Aroy;2945765]
. . Extremely short distances (1/2-1km at a time) : 8-10
quote]

Roy sir, just wondering, how do you calculate this? Tankfull to tankfull is the only reliable method I'm aware of and I think its pretty darn difficult to do a series of only ultra-short drives between tankfulls...just curious

Btw, would you recommend a fully synthetic option for the 10k oil change or should I stick to the standard Servo/Castrol MGO...as far as I know, the standard MGO is a semi-synthetic (blend)

Thanks
Old 4th November 2012, 13:38   #711
Senior - BHPian

[quote=hothatchaway;2952627]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
. . Extremely short distances (1/2-1km at a time) : 8-10
quote]

Roy sir, just wondering, how do you calculate this? Tankfull to tankfull is the only reliable method I'm aware of and I think its pretty darn difficult to do a series of only ultra-short drives between tankfulls...just curious

Btw, would you recommend a fully synthetic option for the 10k oil change or should I stick to the standard Servo/Castrol MGO...as far as I know, the standard MGO is a semi-synthetic (blend)

Thanks
The average is calculated on tankful to tank full basis. I work for a building developer and we are constructing 7 houses in my locality within a radius of 2 km. So my daily route is driving from one to the other, each trip approximately 0.2 to 1.3km.

Once in a while I take it for longer distance. Normally that job is reserved for the Honda City. So the Alto K10 is used for site visits as it is a small narrow car capable of going practically any where and more important turning in a narrow lane.

Last month just to free the engine up, I drove to Palwal, a 100km round trip (at 80-100km/h), and where usually the 30L finishes by 300-320km, I am going strong on 3rd bar at 330km (estimated range should be now 380+)

A synthetic oil is not necessary for the K10 engine. In fact unless the engine and its seals are designed for synthetic oil, the seals may leak (plenty of information on this on the Net!).
Old 6th November 2012, 04:37   #712
BHPian

Alto K10 OBD port

Hi guys !
I was desperate to find the OBD port on my Maruti Alto K10. I know one exists in it. But I couldn't seem to find where.

I searched the internet and Team BHP but I could find a pic or post stating where to find one. I am pretty sure there will be a lot of K10 owners who would love to find the answer.

Can anyone help please ?
Old 29th November 2012, 11:57   #713
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I am planning to change my 3 year old hyundai accent cng for a alto k10. Does anyone have an idea when it the k10 cng version due to launch. If I take it now and install an aftermarket cng kit, i would lose out on the warranty.

I know it mite sound crazy to change a sedan for a hatch, but due to my daily travelling which is around 80 kms, i need to fill cng almost everyday which is a pain in mumbai. i believe with the k10 cng i would need to fill up every 2-3 days.

I also looked at the wagon r cng, however the current wagon r design is not to my liking.
Old 29th November 2012, 14:00   #714
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_dude View Post
Hey Guys,

I am planning to change my 3 year old hyundai accent cng for a alto k10. Does anyone have an idea when it the k10 cng version due to launch. If I take it now and install an aftermarket cng kit, i would lose out on the warranty.

I know it mite sound crazy to change a sedan for a hatch, but due to my daily travelling which is around 80 kms, i need to fill cng almost everyday which is a pain in mumbai. i believe with the k10 cng i would need to fill up every 2-3 days.

I also looked at the wagon r cng, however the current wagon r design is not to my liking.
Changing your Hyundai Accent CNG for Alto ? Man, you are degrading your choice. Please note that, the way accent handles is completly different from what K10 does. Yes, indeed it sounds CRAZY

K10 is a good car amongst petrol hatches. Light on Pocket, Good as a rocket on road. but it has its own limitations. it cannot take CNG in future.
One of my friend got a CNG on his K10 and the performance has gone down. He is about to sell his car with out CNG kit. He is planning to get Old Alto 800 and put this CNG kit in 800 old Alto.

He quoted saying, K10 Alto is not good with CNG and it doesnt perform well too. I dont have any other info related to this. And this is the reason why, Maruti doesnt sell its k10 with CNG. So evaluate your options again and then take a decision. You are supposed to use only PETROL with this car.

Old 29th November 2012, 14:39   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Changing your Hyundai Accent CNG for Alto ? Man, you are degrading your choice. Please note that, the way accent handles is completly different from what K10 does. Yes, indeed it sounds CRAZY

K10 is a good car amongst petrol hatches. Light on Pocket, Good as a rocket on road. but it has its own limitations. it cannot take CNG in future.
One of my friend got a CNG on his K10 and the performance has gone down. He is about to sell his car with out CNG kit. He is planning to get Old Alto 800 and put this CNG kit in 800 old Alto.

He quoted saying, K10 Alto is not good with CNG and it doesnt perform well too. I dont have any other info related to this. And this is the reason why, Maruti doesnt sell its k10 with CNG. So evaluate your options again and then take a decision. You are supposed to use only PETROL with this car.
Hey Gemi

Thanks for the info. However somewhere I read that Maruti plans to introduce company fitted CNG on K10 as well. Actually in Mumbai traffic I am ok with the car not giving a good performance. Main concern is mileage and ease of filling up every 2-3 days.

I will still look around for other options as well.

Cheers

Last edited by honda_dude : 29th November 2012 at 14:40. Reason: spelling error
Old 29th November 2012, 15:08   #716
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_dude View Post
Hey Gemi

Thanks for the info. However somewhere I read that Maruti plans to introduce company fitted CNG on K10 as well. Actually in Mumbai traffic I am ok with the car not giving a good performance. Main concern is mileage and ease of filling up every 2-3 days.

I will still look around for other options as well.

Cheers
This is a complaint made by many people. Many tried CNG and not at all satisfied with CNG on K10. Ofcourse this info is given by some of the people but there is no concrete proof for this.

Even service people quoted the same reasons (In my friends Case). I think it goes well with Sequential Injection CNG kits. Not sure though. Some people also quoted that this is the reason why K10 has less resale value when compared to old 800/Alto.

Regarding the CNG kits, the ones which are widely available & used in the market are the regular ones.I am sure that many people tried these kits and were not satisfied. The Sequential kits are available at/above 40K.

I would suggest you to have a look at other options that you have. If you go for petrol, your car should be flexible enough to support Either CNG or LPG. you will never know what would be the cost of petrol after 2 years right. It might touch 200 or 150.

I think, The old Alto 800 performs well with CNG. The new Alto 800 is also sold with CNG kits Factory fitted. This should be a good option too.

Old 29th November 2012, 15:54   #717
Senior - BHPian

To get an idea of the performance of K10 engine with factory fitted CNG, try out the Wagon R with factory fitted CNG.

Alto K10's USP is performance and not economy (though it is quite decent FE for a petrol car). Why not try out the new Alto 800 CNG :
http://www.marutisuzukialto800.com/?...FY4a6wod-FMAfw
This is in production and should be available off the shelf.
Old 19th December 2012, 00:14   #718
Senior - BHPian

Here's a seemingly stupid question based on a hunch and is meant for all K10 owners.

Have any of you got mysterious dents on the boot, just right and to the top of the number plate?
Old 19th December 2012, 16:48   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamik.bose View Post
Here's a seemingly stupid question based on a hunch and is meant for all K10 owners.

Have any of you got mysterious dents on the boot, just right and to the top of the number plate?
No. But I have a dent on the Top left of the boot - did not see a branch sticking out while reversing next to a big tree.
Old 20th February 2013, 22:59   #720
BHPian

Hey guys, has anyone added illuminated sill plates? If yes then can someone post pics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks