Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2013, 18:29   #796
Senior - BHPian

re: 2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review

Which level headed guy would buy a car with such tacky decals & a 4 inch speakers being advertised as 'music edition' ?
What's next - colored seat belts & painted brake calipers for a 'safety edition'?
Old 30th September 2013, 20:40   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Which level headed guy would buy a car with such tacky decals & a 4 inch speakers being advertised as 'music edition' ?
What's next - colored seat belts & painted brake calipers for a 'safety edition'?
"Safety Edition" would also have stickers saying ABS and Airbag! I think Maruti mktg guys have really lost it. Can it get worse than this? Maybe this edition should feature in Wild and Whacky mod jobs.
Old 1st October 2013, 01:05   #798
BHPian

Music edition with those cheap equalizer decals on the side. A road side sticker artist would have done a better job than that. I was appalled to see that cheap-stake ad in newspaper today morning.
Old 1st October 2013, 10:03   #799
BHPian

I have started to wonder what Maruti is thinking. At first it was the Swift RS. And now the poor Alto. "Musik" well Maruti, use a spell check it is "Music"

I remember Hero Honda used to this with the splendor. At first it was the Splendor then with a bit or road side stickers, the splendor +, splendor -, splendor * and splendor / and it all thankfully stopped with a limited edition splendor. Is Maruti following this or what?

It is a pity what these kind of car manufacturers think about the Indian car buyer. A stereo is a standard accessory in most of the cars now, and thats when maruti goes all loud and live announcing the "presence" of a stereo and cheap 4 inch speakers. Frankly, no thanks, maruti. The days when you made sensible cars are sadly gone.
Old 1st October 2013, 13:20   #800
Senior - BHPian

The sad part is that MUL can install Airbags as there is space for it. I guess that is for export models. The dash has icons for both airbags and abs.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 20:45   #801
BHPian

The shock absorbers of my K10's front left wheel make a metallic clicking sound every time it goes over a bump. The sound is quite similar to what you would get from a paper stapler. The road to work is riddled with potholes; might be why.

Should I be worried ?
Old 3rd November 2013, 16:16   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
The shock absorbers of my K10's front left wheel make a metallic clicking sound every time it goes over a bump. The sound is quite similar to what you would get from a paper stapler. The road to work is riddled with potholes; might be why.

Should I be worried ?
Get it checked ASAP. There should be no noise.

To check if the shock absorber oil/gas has leaked do the following.
. Press the front left/right (as the case may be) of the bonnet so that it is depressed maximum
. Release it
. If the bonnet comes up smoothly the shockers are fine
. If the bonnet just jumps up and/or goes up and down, then change the shockers.
Old 14th November 2013, 22:04   #803
Senior - BHPian

Saw this Alto K10 Musik edition two days ago.This accessory pack is not at all attractive per se. The Music system did not appear to fit in with the scheme of things and special seat cover appears to be original only because of the plastic protective cover cover.
Take a look.
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review-musik1.jpg  

2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review-musik2.jpg  

rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 01:36   #804
Distinguished - BHPian

Just picked a K10 Lxi copper red color exchanging our 13.5 years old Fiat Uno petrol. First of all i would like to thank Bhpian Subhro Mallick (tacho9000) and bhpian Sandypon (sorry i dont know your Tbhp handle) for accompanying me to take the delivery of our new car. Both of them helped me a lot to do the PDI before driving out of the showroom.

Why a k10? We have an Etios petrol. I drive that car and avoid handing it over to the drivers. But we needed another small car which requires less space for the tight city parkings and can do the hard inter city duties and if required can hand over the car to a driver too. So our requirement was a bare boned and cheap hatch back with good mileage service back up and resale. We checkd the Nano as it got 4 stars in the crash test. But the test drive vehicle which was a new one refused to start, it had some problem with its self! I was aware of the niggling problems of tata and that even confirmed me more about the reliability issue. Plus tata was insisting me on a 2012 made nano. Over all it was a let down experience for me. Walked down to the Maruti showroom just beside Tata. Things were far superior over here. First we decided to go for the Alto800 Lxi but when i saw paying another 16k i can get a K10 i sealed the deal in favor of the K10. Just because of the fun to drive factor. Didn't consider the Eon as when in the same budget am getting a 1000cc car why should i go for a 800cc. No offense to Eon owners. Definitely Eon is miles ahead of the K10 in terms of looks and interiors.

Few observation-

Picked the car from Bhandari automobiles Howrah. I will give them a thumbs up for their hassle free experience.

Now about the car. As i exchanged our Uno with this car so i will compare it with the Uno. After the delivery i drove around 100kms.

Looks- Nothing to say both the uno and the K10 looks out dated.

Interiors- Uno was superior. Quality of the plastics were much more solid and seats were far more supportive and comfortable. The uno was much more spacious too.

Ruggedness and safety- No comparison on that. We can never compare a Italian car with a Japanese car. Uno was miles ahead. K10 got 0 stars in safety ratings.

Engine and pick up- The uno was a heavy car but it was dam smooth. Smoother than the K10. But to build the speed it used to take its own sweet time. Where as the k10 is quick. In the starting there is small vibration. Its a 3 cylinder car so can accept it and once in motion its smooth enough. In terms of pickup and top speed the k10 wins easily. The k series engine is awesome in one word. Its always a delight to rev the K10.

Gearbox
- K10 gear shift is kind of okay. The Uno's shift was a bit of rubbery. So i would rate both as same.

Brakes
- In one word both cars have adequate brakes. Again i will rate same for both the cars.

Handling and comfort- Here again the Uno scores more than the K10. The undulation's which never came to the seats of the uno just shudders the k10.
In terms of handling too i would rate Uno ahead of the K10. The Uno was a much more stable and aerodynamic car. With speeds around 100 it felt as if i was doing 80 in the uno and in K10 its just the opposite!

Mileage
- The k10 wins in terms of mileage.

Service and spare- There is no comparison on this. K10 wins with out any question.

Verdict- If i look over all the Uno was a superior car, but in terms of practicality you have to choose the K10. As maintaining a car whose production stopped 10 years back is really a tough job. Procuring the spares and getting a good mechanic for the Uno became a sort of challenge.

Finally a pic of our new car.
2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review-img_0999.jpg
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 19:02   #805
BHPian

Thank you dada for your hearty post and lots of congratulations for the new car. But I as a FIATian am very unhappy to see the uno go away specially after the shuddering problem was resolved. I too hope that he gets a good home. And yes this alto K10 might be very light on the pocket but it won't be able to match the grace and poise which the uno had. We were behind your uno driving to the showroom and we could literally see the uno flattening out all those nasty undulations where we also shuddered in my car. It was a great piece of solid italian machinery whom I'll miss always and whose simplistic Giugiaro lines is something I've admired since my childhood but yes as they say life goes on so it is going on with the new alto but the uno will always be the special baby of your heart I know and will also be in the special corner of our hear too. Happy driving ahead with your new alto.
tacho9000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 21:35   #806

Congrats buddy!

Welcome to the Copper K10 club!!!!

Mines now at 31k clicks on the odo in 1.5 years and giving 20+ mileage with AC at 100+ speeds... Unbelievably super...

to you for copying my tastes

Drive safe as always

Disko (as me and my friends affly call mine) welcome new company

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd December 2013 at 21:53.
Pho3nix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 22:09   #807

Now here's my brief review of the second love of my life, Disko!

It was May 2012 when my respected office decided that transport was a luxury in the day time and hence everyone would need to come to office on their own. At the time (even now) I was a die hard biker, and the occasional doodle down to office in serpentine traffic snarls were alright.

The picture changed almost immediately and rainy Bangalore roads flashed through my mind sending a couple of unintended chills down my spine. Imagine having to walk in to work with a drenched laptop shivering like a rat!

It was then that (considering my budget) I made a beeline for Tata showrooms to check out the Nano. Oh yes! You heard it right... the wonder car... the super car... the cutesy bubble called the Nano!(no offense intended).

I daresay, my experience at the Tata dealership was quite pleasant, save for the fact that they'd call me 5 times a day with the question "so, when can I expect you to book sir?"

Being a practical person, I did decide to go and try my hand at a few second hand cars (all through Truevalue/Toyota U Trust/Hyundai Advantage), but the step brotherly treatment meted out to second hand car buyers and the lack of incentives put me off.

I then explored the following cars :

- Alto K10
- Hyundai Eon
- Chevy Beat
- Chevy Spark

The rest of the manufacturers not mentioned (except Tata) were struck off my list since prior ownership reviews mentioned high maintenance costs, and being on a budget, was a concern.

I loved the Beat. I truly did! Not just for its looks, but also for its peppy petrol engine and ease of drive. The downside for me was the OTR price (4.5 lakhs wasn't pretty!) and Chevy reliability/service quality which were two major question marks. The Spark was out of the Window because I just couldn't get any "feel" of it.

The Eon was a nice car and for 4.2 lakhs, the LPG edition seemed good. But when I took it for a spin, 2nd gear was dead!!! Add to that, the oscillations of the gear shift was like counting the engine rpm! I did like the Eon, but the user reviews here and on a couple of other sites were rather negative, and, having been a relatively new product at the time, didn't inspire confidence in me.

Enter the K10. From the word go, the test drive vehicle just purred to me. I was a bit circumspect about the space inside (what with me being huuugggeee; Samba above can corroborate), but once I tucked myself in, I found the drive a pleasure. From start to finish, the just perfect steering response (in my opinion), the precise gear shifts and the "pocket rocket" abilities had me bowled over (much to the chagrin of my beloved who happened to be sitting in the neighbouring seat!). It was then that I decided to ditch the Nano and go for the Alto.

A few days and some number crunching later, I was the owner of a sunlight copper K10 Lxi. Yes, Lxi!
People would wonder why on earth I didn't pay the 13k extra and get the Vxi, but that will come later. To this day I cannot believe how my budget went from 2.25 lakhs to 3.45 lakhs (after 40k discount)!

Since the word go, I begun to love my K10. And shortly after begans the mods.

The list is as below with prices : Music system - Pioneer DEH1490 UB + Soundstream front speakers + Hertz rear speakers - 12000
Cerwin Vega 12" Woofer - 12000
AVA Alloys - 13500
Autocop power windows(all 4 windows) - 11000
Autocop XS Remote locking - 4500
3M Racing stripes - 1000
Spoiler - 3000
End can change (custom) - 3000
Spacers - 700
Wiring kit + headlamp upgrade(relay + Philips Rally Vision 100/90W bulbs) - 1500
Steering wheel cover - 1000
Seat covers - 2500
DRLs - 4000
Hella fog lamps + wiring accessories - 6300

Post all these upgrades, my car was lovingly christened Disko by my friends (to rhyme with the khisko in the Alto K10 ad).

Till date, I have run about 31500 kms in 18 months and loved every inch of it. Maintenance was a breeze, save for the only accident (a dog hit) which set me back Rs. 2500 for a new radiator and Rs. 1000 as towing charges. Disko is like a metronome and gives me 15-15.5 witout AC in Bangalore traffic (14-14.5 with AC) and 21-22 on highway with AC at triple digit speeds (tested on 17th November on NH 7) and 24-25 without.

My advice to budget buyers? Trust in Maruti and buy the K10 as your first car rather than a Nano. You will never regret it. At least I didn't!
Pho3nix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2014, 20:54   #808
Senior - BHPian

How do you define responsibilities?

2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review-img-73.jpg

2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review-img-63.jpg

Watch this space.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 15:51   #809
BHPian

Have you guys managed to install a dash-clock in your K10's ? Please recommend one to me. It is quite risky to have to peep into the phone.
Old 20th January 2014, 13:54   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Have you guys managed to install a dash-clock in your K10's ? Please recommend one to me. It is quite risky to have to peep into the phone.
Hi Vinu,

I do have a small dashboard clock installed on my K10. I bought it off of eBay India (though I dont have a link to the actual product page) and paid around 200 Rs. for it. The clock is tiny, about the size of a 9V battery placed on it's side. It comes with H and M buttons to set the time. I wanted to get it installed on top of the dashboard, above the A/C vents, but the wiring would be a problem (they said they cant drill holes anywhere around/top of the AC vents) and leaving the wires visible would be an eyesore. Hence, I decided to get it installed in the tiny recess provided for the 2 din system.

As you can see, I have a single din unit (and dont plan to upgrade either) and this clock fit perfectly in that slot. The wires are hidden too. The wiring was done by the A.S.S. personnel themselves as I didnt want to void any warranty by splicing wires haphazardly (as done by street mechanics).

Although it blocks some space for me to store stuff, it also acts as a visual barrier to keep other valuables like mobile phones, etc. neatly hidden behind the clock. It's working fine and it;s really helpful. Visibility is good during the daytime (this pic was taken in bright sunlight) and its very clear after dark.

Hope you will post a pic of your setup when you get one. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review-img_20140120_1129362-large.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks