Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 00:26   #151
BHPian

When is it expected in the showrooms ? Want to take a test drive.
Had expressed in a college presentation on the alto brand, that according to me, contrary to the reality, discontinuation of VXi was unfortunate for Alto.
Liked the alto just wanted was some power. Still remember how I avoided my friends switching on the Ac on a highway drive. There was absolutely no power on the highway.
Old 5th August 2010, 01:10   #152
BHPian

Nice review there TheMAG and superb comparison and exterior pics.

Somehow the specs of this car remind me of my beloved Zen - a true pocket rocket. Infact the ORVM's hark back to the Zen VXi of the late 90's. Pity though that Maruti has yet again decided to go with skinny tyres and no rear wiper :(

It'll be interesting to see the sales of this car. Will buyers prefer the thrill or will they want to upgrade to the next higher segment.
Old 5th August 2010, 04:01   #153
Senior - BHPian

Very nice review TheMAG and the pictures are just great.

And what an offering by Maruti, I think this is the first time ever that a car in this or maybe any category comes with an air induction kit as OE. Learned a few more things about the K10 Alto
1. OE Spark plugs are Iridium tipped.
2. Pistons are Teflon coated.
The guy giving out this info said the feature no.1 is common to all cars equipped with the K series engines. maybe members who own vehicles with these engines could confirm. the last thing he said is something that I am typing with a pinch of salt.
3. The recommended service interval for this car could be 10000 kms instead of the usual 5K!!
I guess we will learn this when the car is available for sale starting 10.08.10.

Borrowing the snap from TheMAG's post. Simply love the OE fitment of the air intake
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review-alto_k10_01.jpg  

Last edited by khoj : 5th August 2010 at 04:02.
Old 5th August 2010, 05:18   #154
BHPian

Superb TD and review. I was almost awestruck at the power to weight ratio. I'm sure this is going to be India's first volume-selling hot hatch (at least as far as power goes). It might even be a future classic.
smashnerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2010, 08:08   #155
Senior - BHPian

A very justified review Mag. Maruti did overcome all the problems found in the old 800cc one especially the loss of power while switching AC. Hopefully the older one will eventually be phased out when this model achieves the said sales figures of its predecessor. BTW i think that the placement of pedals is also changed. Now atleast the foot travel would be lesser i think.
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review-consol.jpg  

Old 5th August 2010, 09:35   #156
BHPian

One more thing to notice in new Alto, which has given me complex since last 3 yrs of ownership of an Alto, whenever I saw a Swift/i10/i20/Ritz/Punto close their doors it "THUDD", and when I close my alto's door its "DHAPP" or "DHOOM".

Now when I closed the door of Altok10, its the sweet "THUDD",

I don't know if anyone who has seen the car has noticed it or not, but that sound was much needed, I hope all alto owners will ).
Old 5th August 2010, 09:55   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
What does not make sense is the overall weight increase by ~25 Kg. Any insights?

Zigwheel mentions that the gearbox is the same as that in the A*. Confirmation?

Do you know the speeds at 1000 rpm for the various gears?

Do you know what AC components Maruti is using in this car?

1. Weight has increased by 55 kgs from the Alto 800.
2. I havent driven the A* - I really wouldnt know. But I remember Maruti mentioning only the cable-operated shift as a change.
3. No. That would be at the other end of the scale of the rolling tests normally performed.
4. No, so long as the AC chills effectively!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_x1 View Post
..but how about the safety equipment? No ABS / Airbags? not even optional?
I hear you, and feel the same. It wouldnt hurt Maruti to give these safety features atleast as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Are the rear window panes completely going down the door or only 3/4 like the current A800/ Old PAL fiat.
I would reckon it is similar to the Alto 800.

Last edited by theMAG : 8th August 2010 at 13:02.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2010, 10:32   #158
BANNED

Nice review Sir.
I think this is the best car a middle class person in India can get for his family!
Old 5th August 2010, 10:56   #159
BHPian

The competetion better run and hide or offer MASSIVE discounts!! Inface the sibling rivalry in the Maruti stables has gone onto a new level. Looks like Good bye A star, Estilo and to some extent the new Wagon R.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:41   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas
Now, I would save about Rs .26 for every km in the K10 as opposed to my present Alto or Rs 2600 for every 10,000 kms. but I would have to cough up an additional Rs 1.5L if I sell my Alto for about Rs 2L and buy the K10.
If you are looking at this from a FE point of view, I would think you should not upgrade to the K10. But, if you want to have better driveability, power & performance, then it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd
I'm sure this is going to be India's first volume-selling hot hatch (at least as far as power goes).
Yeah, looks like this would be one hot-hatch that also sells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia
Inface the sibling rivalry in the Maruti stables has gone onto a new level. Looks like Good bye A star, Estilo and to some extent the new Wagon R.
I dont think this would cannibalise sales of the tall-boys because those are bought for a different purpose - easy ingress/egress, practicality etc. But let's see how it goes.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:56   #161
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
But won't that kind of BHP/Ton ratio combined with not-so-great highspeed handling and absence of safety features like ABS/Airbags be a little dangerous for our highways?
Sure will. Just like the OHC Vtec, this car is best driven within the city. Light weight, vague at high speeds and an old platform (thus, compromises in safety). These kind of feather-light pocket rockets are enjoyable <100 kph only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~h View Post
IMHO this is the first Marti to look smarter after the Lamps & Bumper treatment.
Indeed, one of the rare Maruti facelifts that actually looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Learned a few more things about the K10 Alto
1. OE Spark plugs are Iridium tipped.
2. Pistons are Teflon coated.
Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Simply love the OE fitment of the air intake
Proper CAI, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Alto, which has given me complex since last 3 yrs of ownership of an Alto, whenever I saw a Swift/i10/i20/Ritz/Punto close their doors it "THUDD", and when I close my alto's door its "DHAPP" or "DHOOM".

Question: What was the 0 - 100 of the (discontinued) Alto 1.1?
Old 5th August 2010, 12:24   #162
BHPian

@TheMag,

Excellent review and nice comparison with older version of Alto. Oh did i praise you for the outdoor photos
Old 5th August 2010, 12:25   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Question: What was the 0 - 100 of the (discontinued) Alto 1.1?

Google baba says 14.8 Secs.
Old 5th August 2010, 12:45   #164
BHPian

Brilliant review theMAG!!! +1 to GTO, this thread truly deserves 5*. Nice comparo with the F8D Alto giving a better picture.

The old ZEN was a phoenix which has risen from the ashes in the form of the K10.

This car has much better looks than the rest of Maruti small cars viz A-star, Estilo,Wagon-R. The killer engine - light weight combo makes this a screecher on the road.

Awaiting to see lots more on the road.

Great going guys!!

Cheers
Old 5th August 2010, 12:56   #165
BHPian

Excellent review TheMag! I pored over the whole thread yesterday, and guess what...went ahead and placed a booking at Mandovi this morning!

They are not even sure of the on-road Bangalore price as of now, expect to update by afternoon. No discounts off course, however let's see if I get some accessories included. Delivery is promised in as little as 10 days, assuming I get the first lot on the way to Bangalore (touch wood!)

I will put up a more detailed Ownership report after delivery, meanwhile here is a interesting fact. The only other car I was considering was the Polo, and I decided to go for the Alto instead...now hopefully the baby will be delivered on time, and won't give me any cause to regret the decision.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks