Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Have you had Issues with your Michelin tyres?
Yes (Bulges, premature tyre wear, frequent punctures etc) 50 17.12%
No. They're quite problem free 242 82.88%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2012, 10:02   #121
BHPian

Re: Michelin Tyre Woes: Fact or Fiction? (Michelin users please vote)

I am happy with XM1+ tyres, 1.5 yrs old 25000 KMs running still they have lot of life. My travelling is more on Highways & State Highways.
Tyres have taken 4-5 nasty potholes on highway, Rims are bent beyond repair but there is no sign of bulges.

I am happy with them.
Old 17th December 2012, 10:16   #122
Senior - BHPian

Loved XM1+ on my Getz. Ran them for about 43k kms before selling off the car and they still had about 6-9k kms left. Of course I was very particular in rotating, aligning and balancing at every 5k kms.

One notable point is the never ending debate on their *perceived* soft compound. Let me cite an example to tell you why that is just a negative publicity. I did a 3k kms road trip in Aug 2011. A part of that journey consisted of 300+ kms of kaccha roads (just loose gravel, stones and every perceivable sharp object!). This was I think between the Puttur-Mani section. Given the road condition, it took us close to 7 hours in covering the distance. But guess what, the car came out with JUST 1 puncture in ONE tire. I feel that is really commendable and talks a lot about the quality.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 17th December 2012 at 10:17.
Old 17th December 2012, 10:40   #123
BANNED

I would rate Turanza ER60 higher to Micjelin Xm1+ .
In XM the road noise will continue to increase as Kms piles up whereas Turanza is much less noisier and also far more comfortable against XM.
Old 17th December 2012, 10:58   #124
Senior - BHPian

I agree about the soft sidewall nonsense. Its just a negative publicity stunt. Imagine, I took my 25 thousand run XM1+'s to Ladakh, Leh, Kargil and the entire Kashmir circuit. Believe you me when I tell you, Srinagar to Kargil is a see it to believe it kind of bad road in half the places. You have to drive over big 'stones' at some passes. Kargil to Leh has some of these stretches too. The XM1+ took them all in their stride.

The main tyre surface did get some rubber chipped off at one or 2 places, but that is an understood, if you take tyres stone climbing in a car like Swift.

Overall I would rate Michelins as every penny worth it and Michelins have earned themselves a customer for life.
Old 17th December 2012, 11:26   #125
Senior - BHPian

I think most readers have forgotten the basis for radials. Soft sidewalls for better handling and consumption. These gentlemen (and ladies) should revert to cross-ply tyres. Also, many people do not inflate tyres properly adding to their woes.
Old 17th December 2012, 11:34   #126

I am running Michelin XM1+ 185/70/R14, which I changed immediately after the car (Swift) was out of the showroom. I now have these for 4+ years with 90K on the odo.

I guess I still have, like 20K left. Next change would definitely be a Michelin, probably a XM2.
Old 17th December 2012, 12:05   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by challasravi View Post
I am running Michelin XM1+ 185/70/R14, which I changed immediately after the car (Swift) was out of the showroom. I now have these for 4+ years with 90K on the odo.

I guess I still have, like 20K left. Next change would definitely be a Michelin, probably a XM2.
You mean to say, one set of Michelin lasted you over 90k kms ? And still 20k left :O

Or you changed the tyres again to Michelin around 50k ?
Old 17th December 2012, 13:02   #128
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
You mean to say, one set of Michelin lasted you over 90k kms ? And still 20k left :O

Or you changed the tyres again to Michelin around 50k ?
I have the same question man - 90k on the same set of tyres and moreover 90k in 4 years - thats a lot - both of them .
Old 17th December 2012, 13:17   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
I have the same question man - 90k on the same set of tyres and moreover 90k in 4 years - thats a lot - both of them .
Yes, 90K on the same set of tyres. I have not changed the tyres since I have bought the car.

And yes 90K in 4 years, with some time off (approx 3 months) in US when i did not drive my car here.
challasravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 18:23   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, 90K on the same set of tyres. I have not changed the tyres since I have bought the car.

And yes 90K in 4 years, with some time off (approx 3 months) in US when i did not drive my car here.
Man, you're a legend. I have never heard any tyre last for so long and you still say you've around 20k left on them.

Its hard to believe that but won't say its not true either.
Old 17th December 2012, 19:57   #131
BHPian

Quote:

Whatever man, you may be in US but still those tyres clocked 90K ??
Either you are trying poora paisa vasool or you are trying to reach inside wall of tyre(joking).

Jokes apart but would certainly like to know what kind of surface you drove for 90K??
Secondly, with 4+ years of rubber age, plus with 90K clocked; I seriously think you are undermining yours and others safety. Forgive me if I am being rude.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 17th December 2012 at 20:12.
Old 17th December 2012, 22:13   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That's awesome man, One request please, Can we have pictures of tyres in current state. I would love to see them, Please

Thanks!
Sameer
Old 17th December 2012, 22:35   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by challasravi

Hey as far as I know in the best of roads too for example in countries like Singapore or Dubai tyres don't last more than 60k or even 70k at the max and you are saying that you have driven 90000kms in 4 years and still can do 20000kms more? Seems like you have added another '0' by mistake. For the pathetic state of our roads doing anything more than 50k kms on the tyre is like doing more harm to your car suspension! Let us all see those lucky pair of tyres!
Old 17th December 2012, 23:26   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

90k is the highest I've heard so far! I assume you are speaking about a set of 5 tyres here, rotated properly at regular intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
in the best of roads too for example in countries like Singapore or Dubai tyres don't last more than 60k or even 70k at the max
60k-70k is not that difficult to achieve with a set of 5 tyres. Even the OEM MRF tyres that came in my '95 Zen lasted till 65000 km on the Kerala roads. When we consider a set of 5 tyres rotated regularly, each tyre does the duty only for 80% of the total km covered.
Old 17th December 2012, 23:57   #135
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Wow, 90K kms done and another 20 K kms life in your Michelin tyres? This is amazing.

I had done 73K kms on my Fusion with Good Year shoes on them and i thought i was a good driver?! I know how bad they were on the road.

Are you sure no body at home exchanged those tyres with Brands new ones while you were away in USA?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks