Team-BHP - Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/101444-engine-gearbox-diff-ratios-axles-options-jeep-11.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorqueMonster (Post 5733289)
The tyres are already upsized on the vehicle which I am buying. I am not engine swapping the vehicle as the DI engine which was put in the jeep is a mint 50k run engine only, so ideally would like to keep it.

As you have instructed, I will change the gear ratio to 4.27. Thanks for clarifying my doubt

I have run 4:88s in my jeeps with much satisfaction. It's fine on the Hwy at 60-65kph and gives a nice low speed power dividend, also great for the hills. This works great for the 29-30 inch tyre diameters.

One more slight correction. The MM540 I was referencing through did no go through due to rust issues. I have eventually purchased a CL500 with the DI Engine (4spd gearbox), which already came with upgraded tyres, tyre size being 31x10.50 R15.

I would like to know what gear ratios should I use in this Jeep, and anything else to keep in mind. The only aim I have is the vehicle to be cruising at 70, I don't have any other requirements as it is just a weekend car.

The ownership review for the Jeep is coming shortly. For now, ending this query with a photo of the Jeep.

Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP-whatsapp-image-20240320-10.56.06.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorqueMonster (Post 5740395)

I would like to know what gear ratios should I use in this Jeep, and anything else to keep in mind. The only aim I have is the vehicle to be cruising at 70, I don't have any other requirements as it is just a weekend car.

Attachment 2584702

Again.. go for 4.27. It allows for comfortable cruising and decent low end torque.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushs (Post 5740606)
Again.. go for 4.27. It allows for comfortable cruising and decent low end torque.

Thank you so much, I shall do that.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorqueMonster (Post 5740777)
Thank you so much, I shall do that.

dhanushs is the professional here. He is a Mechanical Engineer. Don't let the fact that his knuckles touch the ground when he walks and that his lips move when he reads...influence your decision. I don't think you are going to like a steady diet of 70kph or above in any old jeep whether you go with 4:27s or 4:88s. Old jeeps handle funny and they are happier at 50-60kph.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 5736731)
I have run 4:88s in my jeeps with much satisfaction. It's fine on the Hwy at 60-65kph and gives a nice low speed power dividend, also great for the hills. This works great for the 29-30 inch tyre diameters.

Quote:

Hello Dhanushs and Dan, Just wanted to have a little bit of guidance here. One of my clients wanted to go with 4.88s in his Bolero 2WD B6 and MLD kit on stock 29 -30-inch tires. He wanted to have mild offroading and a little bit more capable vehicle, especially on snow.
Currently, he is running on a 4.27 ratio and 30-inch MT tires with open diff. As of now, he uses snow chains but does not have that much torque or traction.
So what are the advantages and disadvantages he's going to suffer? By upgrading to 4.88s and MLD? And what are your thoughts on this upgrade?
I believe it's a Dana 44 axel, correct me if I'm wrong.