Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2009, 23:00   #466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It has every sign of a good highway tyre, except for the tread pattern.
I don't think this one can be considered as an offroading tyre at all. I'd like to be proven wrong though.
Ok how does one looks at the tread pattern and decide on the offroading capabilities?

Some thing like this is understandably explainable

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-ltx_at_big.jpg

This will also hold true for geolander, bfgoodrich, bridgestone dueller revo, goodyear wrangler etc. But what does explains a/t tires like these?

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-163_0612_05ztire_carepirelli_scorpion.jpg
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-michelin_ltxms.jpg
these neither have aggressive tread patterns nor big grooves. So then how does these work. If i am right then both ltx as well as scorpion are rated pretty high in a/t tires.

cheers
vishwas
Old 27th March 2009, 00:28   #467
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
these neither have aggressive tread patterns nor big grooves. So then how does these work. If i am right then both ltx as well as scorpion are rated pretty high in a/t tires.
When you say rated high, do you mean Tirerack ratings? Read this: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-o...ml#post1151355
Old 27th March 2009, 06:26   #468
BHPian

BUMP:Let me try my luck this time!

Comon Guys I need some advice Please....
Old 27th March 2009, 06:36   #469
Senior - BHPian

275/60 would be an overkill
ask him to stick to 235 section max.
Old 27th March 2009, 09:01   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
One of the NIOC gang has the Wanderers - maybe he can provide genuine feedback.
Yeah his name is shashank and he has it on his 550!!! He went for the wanderers as he wanted to use the jeep for extensive on road use too.
I drove his jeep on the last OTR, which was all dry, no loose sand, muds or slush, and it preformed ok. Good infact.
There was this one incline that was quite steep and not all the vehicles were able to do it. I tried to do the incline on the 550 with the wanderers, but was unsuccessful quite a number of times.
I dint quite understand the reason but it could have been
either
  1. The incline was earlier done by 5-6 other vehicles, and had formed an inverted V, So because of the 2" height difference the front Diff and the gearbox were holding back the vehicle
  2. The tyres were giving way, as the sand was very loose
But dont go judging the tyres with this as
Another 550 with 7x16 NDMS was unsuccessful, But this had big side foot steps
A LHD CJ3B with 6x16 NDMS was unsuccessful, but it had the side mounted tyre

After the wanderers attend 3-4 OTR's on different terrains, I will ask shashank to post a experience log

Last edited by harjeev : 27th March 2009 at 09:05.
Old 27th March 2009, 09:44   #471
BHPian

YOKOHAMA MT Tyres and Psi

I had been going through a review of Yokohama MT tyres.

I am still waiting for 235x85x16 Yokohama Geolander Mud Terrain tyres, which has been promised by Yokohama person.

Would like to know your views on this review and few of points by him, which I am posting over here.

Please read the review fromt he below link.
REVIEW

Anything in quotes is lifeted from the review - link is provided above.

About tyre pressure:

"
Based on the testing so far, these are the general pressures I'll be using:
  • 22 psi for paved roads.
  • 12 psi for back roads, rock, mud and dirt.
  • 6-8 psi for snow and sand."
Tyre Noise:

" The diagonal tread blocks make some tire noise, but not really noticeable even though my truck is not too sound-proof. "

On MT less noise - incredible?

Unusual:

"At 12 psi the tires held on to everything. Rarely did a tire spin, even when the rear was unlocked. The group I was with included another locked, Yokohama-M/T-equipped truck, as well as five other locked trucks, equipped with other M/T brands. The most telling situation occurred on a wet mud/clay-covered, bare-rock trail climb, where the two Yokohama-equipped trucks simply walked away from the others."

Other brands do not have the grip like of Yokohama??

Which other tyre would come close to performance of Yoko Geo MT?
Old 29th March 2009, 00:06   #472
BHPian

@ harjeev - If you remember my jeep driven by my friend cleared that climb in first attempt. If you cared looking at the tires, I was running sandgrips which were absolutely bald. So my hunch is.
1. We were the second jeep to attempt it so the ruts weren't that deep.
2. Jeep with wanderer tires lacked ride height that was very crucial there.
3. That climb had a nasty bump at the apex and you had to come full steam up and hit it pretty mercilessly with you left front tire, than the jeep used to jump to right and make it. You driving some one elses jeep would have been a bit cautious.
3. Laxman's jeep has 7.00 NDMS. NDMS are not best on sand. They lack flotation.
4. I was this time running 15 psi on my tires which I found helped exponentially. I never thought tire pressure would make so much difference.

cheers
vishwas

p.s. I was observing you from the top when you attempted that climb. You have nice driving skill. Get your jeep quick, than it will be a blast.
Old 29th March 2009, 12:38   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
I am still waiting for 235x85x16 Yokohama Geolander Mud Terrain tyres, which has been promised by Yokohama person.
@rhandle
When I was on the hunt for tyres for my 550 I came across a shop in Karol Bagh, who had BF Goodrich AT's, I think 245/75 or 85 and yes 16's.
The price was also quite cheap 4.5k a tyre. The only issue was that the tyres were manufactured in 2006.
If you are interested I can tell you the location of the shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
@ harjeev - If you remember my jeep driven by my friend cleared that climb in first attempt. If you cared looking at the tires, I was running sandgrips which were absolutely bald. So my hunch is.
1. We were the second jeep to attempt it so the ruts weren't that deep.
2. Jeep with wanderer tires lacked ride height that was very crucial there.
3. That climb had a nasty bump at the apex and you had to come full steam up and hit it pretty mercilessly with you left front tire, than the jeep used to jump to right and make it. You driving some one elses jeep would have been a bit cautious.
3. Laxman's jeep has 7.00 NDMS. NDMS are not best on sand. They lack flotation.
4. I was this time running 15 psi on my tires which I found helped exponentially. I never thought tire pressure would make so much difference.

cheers
vishwas
Yes viswas
I think that a combination of the low height tyres, the deep V formation, the bump and most of all I was not in my jeep were the reasons for me not been able to do that climb.
At the yesterday OTR I tried to do the same climb and this time too I was on a 550 with Yoko Geolanders 275/70/16 which is a arond 31" height, but was not able to do it.
Again I was one of the last ones to try and by that time the V had become quite deep. Laxman, I think did it the 1st time, but on subsequent attempts was unsuccessful

[quote}p.s. I was observing you from the top when you attempted that climb. You have nice driving skill. Get your jeep quick, than it will be a blast.[/quote]

Thanks for the words of appreciation
I think that I should have my CJ3B by next week end, but the 550 is still a couple of week off
Old 30th March 2009, 20:20   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Please replace the tyres of your CJ340.
Agree. The CJ needs better tyres for traction & grip

Quote:
Use JK Brute 215.75R15 or MRF 215/75R15.
Why? why just 215? I think 235 should be the minimum in that CJ. And why ONLY JK/MRF? There are undoubtedly better tyre brands out there.

Check here

Quote:
Don't go for any fancy stuff. It will not work in OTR conditions..
What does 'fancy stuff' mean? Am really interested to know.
Old 31st March 2009, 12:42   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shahnawaz - hello after a long time - by "fancy stuff" I mean the so-called "imported" tyres displayed at swanky tyre shops (the real good stuff never comes to our great country anyways) where you tend to lose around 50000 rupees because somebody waering a tight fitting tee shirt and earrings in his ears with an air of being "knowledgeable" about tyres takes you on a nice little ego trip and when you finally drive your vehicle fitted with the "fancy stuff" (which is now non-returnable), you realise that you have been right royally taken but then you also pretend that the stuff is fantastic because your ego prevents you from stating otherwise. Then you have to live with the "non-performing fancy stuff" for years, till you do the same tee shirt walla thing and sell off your vehicle to some other poor unsuspecting soul.

Our country makes good tyres which work. Please use them. In this Jaipur vehicle case I have not recommended Bridgestone tubeless for the simple reason that his 5.5F wheel rims will not technically qualify for tubeless application. If at all, he has to change wheel rims which will raise all sorts of issues on wheel offset, nut seat profile, centre spigot diameter and its tolerance, wheel weight, wheel CG, offset loading, valve seat layout etc etc. Even with tubes, he has to use an adaptor because his wheel rim will have a bigger hole for the valve to pass through (FMVSS to EEC) and if there is no adaptor, the valve seat may break. One look at the wheel rim is enough to know yaar!

I hope I have been able to clarify.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2009, 13:15   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post
Yogesh

it is called collateral damage. Offroading and no scratches not possible.

you can have a front top canvas cover. That will protect you from sun also. Check pranshuls red CJ 340 in the 28th OTR pics
Thanks Amit, I have the canvas soft top, will try in next OTR. Thanks for your call too. I have got in touch with Anukraman. He is in for our next OTR on 5th with his Gypsy. So now we would be having a 2 team real OTR on 5th Sunday. I will post the details soon.

Quote:
Please replace the tyres of your CJ340. Use JK Brute 215.75R15 or MRF 215/75R15. Don't go for any fancy stuff. It will not work in OTR conditions.
Thanks Behram Sir, I did research on Brute, there are two sub categories. 1 is Brute and other is Brute 4x4 and found they are officially recommended by JKtyre site for Classic and similar for offroad. I would like to go in for 16" rims any suggestions for that?

EDIT: Just read your above reply to that. One question: Are the 16" Army rims good for my Jeep, will they fit without any above mentioned hassles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
I am on for the 5th Yogesh, guess it will be fun.
Yepee!! Now we have an official photographer.. We will have a proper OTR. Lets plan brunch also at the hill top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Agree. The CJ needs better tyres for traction & grip

Why? why just 215? I think 235 should be the minimum in that CJ. And why ONLY JK/MRF? There are undoubtedly better tyre brands out there.

What does 'fancy stuff' mean? Am really interested to know.
Hi Mr. Khan see this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
has sufficient flex, for on road, and stiff enough for off road, any ways the pic you are showing is a different check out my pics for the Brute 4x4 205/80 R 16

and

Rs 3800/- per set of tyre and tube
I found this here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ape-goa-2.html

But still would like to hear Behram on this.. EDIT: just did above.

Here are pics from JK Tyre site:
JK Tyre,Tyres,Passenger Car Tyres,LCV Tyres,Truck Tyres,Bus Tyres

Name:  brute4x4lnkaboutus.gif
Views: 3043
Size:  20.1 KB

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-blowupbrute4x4.jpg

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 31st March 2009 at 13:26.
Old 31st March 2009, 13:28   #477
BHPian

Hi Yogesh,

Though I'm not much aware of the tyres, but the classic and tata Sierra when launched came with JK Brute's but those seemed to have a different tread. That tread seemed more A/T like than the ones that have been shown by you. I had a Sierra Turbo and that looked real macho in the JK Brutes of that time.

JK should have retained the previous tread i'd say.

Cheers !!!!
Old 31st March 2009, 13:35   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Hi Yogesh,

Though I'm not much aware of the tyres, but the classic and tata Sierra when launched came with JK Brute's but those seemed to have a different tread. That tread seemed more A/T like than the ones that have been shown by you. I had a Sierra Turbo and that looked real macho in the JK Brutes of that time.

JK should have retained the previous tread i'd say.

Cheers !!!!
The pics above is of Brute 4x4 and below is just Brute, is this the one you are talkng about?

Name:  abrutelftpic.gif
Views: 2703
Size:  40.4 KB

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-ablowupbrute.jpg
Old 31st March 2009, 14:10   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
The pics above is of Brute 4x4 and below is just Brute, is this the one you are talkng about?

Attachment 118373

Attachment 118374
Yes Yogest this was the tyre. They performed really well in the Classic but were a pain in the Sierra, I guess because of the faulty suspensions they had.
Old 31st March 2009, 14:12   #480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Shahnawaz - hello after a long time - by "fancy stuff" I mean the so-called "imported" tyres displayed at swanky tyre shops ...
Any names of such 'fancy tyres'. That would help.

Quote:
.... he has to change wheel rims which will raise all sorts of issues on wheel offset, nut seat profile, centre spigot diameter and its tolerance, wheel weight, wheel CG, offset loading, valve seat layout etc etc....
Am wondering how people abroad do this for their 4x4 after market modifications. They do some real serious off-roading and am sure that they don't do it on stock. Don't these things come into play there?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks