Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2009, 16:14   #601
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
considering the above it looks like the BFG's are better off in OTR as compared to the Geo's and the Geo's are better than the BFG's on highways.(please correct me if i am wrong)

So in that case for a person like me who will do 60% highway and 40% OTR driving the Yokos will be better (this is what i have concluded from what everyone has told me)
Well, BFG may look better but has problems in slush and mud. If you talk to people who have seen both in action offroad, Yakohama AT-S has been winning more hearts. AT-S has a self-cleaning tread pattern which helps the tyre from turning into sleeks in mud. I too recently switched to AT-S even though BFG is more rugged looking. Recently many Karnataka offroaders have switched to AT-S based on the same feedback from the field.
Old 16th August 2009, 08:41   #602
Senior - BHPian

Michelin has recently put out Latitude cross AT( claimed to be) tyres, that are available down to a 215 section. The LTX are not available smaller than 235. Has anyone here use them in anger, and if so, any feedback? If the LTX was available in 215/75/15, that would have been a default choice for me, but they are not, and these are the closest from Michelin. They are also a new product globally, so there aren't that many reviews elsewhere.
Old 17th August 2009, 10:22   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, BFG may look better but has problems in slush and mud. If you talk to people who have seen both in action offroad, Yakohama AT-S has been winning more hearts. AT-S has a self-cleaning tread pattern which helps the tyre from turning into sleeks in mud. I too recently switched to AT-S even though BFG is more rugged looking. Recently many Karnataka offroaders have switched to AT-S based on the same feedback from the field.

Here is what i finally did some time backhttp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1400364-post113.html

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 17th August 2009 at 10:24.
Old 17th August 2009, 10:30   #604
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

@NIP - your black scorpio with the goodrich AT tyres looks puposeful mean and highly capable of some serious work. is this a 4WD scorp?
Old 17th August 2009, 11:01   #605
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Shankar...if you are talking about serious work like taking me to places where a car cant go, yes its doing a brilliant job. Its not a 4x4, but the places I go to really does not require it. And of course, I think the BFGs are brilliant off road! I switched from the stock 15" bridgestone HTs to BFG ATs - huge difference!
Old 17th August 2009, 11:15   #606
Team-BHP Support

With my continental cross contact AT, I have realized that braking on wet hard Tarmac has deteriorated slightly. Maybe the harder compound is to blame? Another thing I discovered that when climbing smooth slopes in malls if they are a little slush (thin layer of wet dust etc.,) the rear wheels spin a little if you give a little too much throttle.
Old 24th August 2009, 13:50   #607
BHPian

Best All Terrain Tyres for a Gypsy

Can anyone please tell me whether 225/70 R15 would be good on a Gypsy. My King had Michelin 225/60/15 tyres when I bought it. So, planning to change it to 70/15 AT tyres. Which one is the best? with nice macho looks? 225 or 215? and the brand?
Old 31st August 2009, 15:05   #608
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to remove the original discs and tyres of my CJ 340, for safe keeping.

Was considering JK Brute 215/75 R15. Is it true that 235 scrapes against the inner leaf.

Also, is Brute 4x4 available anyplace, I asked the dealer and he told me they are not available.

Planning to run on Gypsy rims, not too keen on alloys.
Old 4th September 2009, 11:28   #609
BHPian

7.00x16 NDMS

Hi Guys,

I was checking the Superking Tyres website, they have a 7.00x16 NDMS tyre for Light commercial vehicles. I have attached a screenshot of it, I would want to know whether this tyre could be used on my CJ500D stock rim.

Here is the screenshot of their site.

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-tyres.jpg
Old 4th September 2009, 12:23   #610
Senior - BHPian

Yes it can be used for your a CJ500. Its only 1inch taller/wider and can be used on the stock Rim.

As per my understanding they are standard NDMS pattern ply and design.

They can be used without any issues and are in use by some members here as well.

Its called SuperKing Shankar - (Pattern 33)
Price approx - 3.4k per tire

This is available with SuperKing dealers.

I had posted this question on another thread.. asking here as well, even MRF only has 16 x 7.00, does anyone know of an NDMS pattern in 16 x 7.50 available in the market? Just curious.

Last edited by IronWolf : 4th September 2009 at 12:26.
Old 4th September 2009, 19:44   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf
I had posted this question on another thread.. asking here as well, even MRF only has 16 x 7.00, [B
does anyone know of an NDMS pattern in 16 x 7.50 available in the market? [/b]Just curious.
Dan,

The Tyre in question is the one which was used in Jonga (7.50X16, MRF). Since the vehicle is no more in service, i doubt if you will be able to get it. I think Arka managed to get those for his Jeep. Refer the Munnar OTR thread. I think his Jeep was wearing the same tyres.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 7th September 2009, 13:34   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Dan,

The Tyre in question is the one which was used in Jonga (7.50X16, MRF). Since the vehicle is no more in service, i doubt if you will be able to get it. I think Arka managed to get those for his Jeep. Refer the Munnar OTR thread. I think his Jeep was wearing the same tyres.

Thanks
--Sree--
Sreeraj,

The tyres used on Jonga were 7.00x16 NDMS. I Doubt whether we have a 7.50x16 NDMS in india.
Old 14th September 2009, 01:25   #613
BHPian

Guys there's this company in Jalandhar that makes the 7.00x16 NDMS tires by the name of "SPEEDWAY"(this might help-http://www.speedwaystyres.com/). There are several jeeps fitted with these tires here in Punjab.

Though they ain't exactly the same quality as BKT,MRF, or even Apollo(Yes, they did make the NDMS also, though they are very rare and therefore hard to find. But Apollo tends to use a softer rubber,just as the Speedway ones and wear out faster. Also they have a rounder profile than the square'r other ones, or so i think b'coz i've only seen them on military MM540/550's, with that same heavy military rim used in the 7.50x16 Mud&Snow tires).

What i noted is that they don't take to bad alignment at all, and i have seen them worn out in 5000 kms, though i might also add that the specified jeep fitted with them might have had very bad alignment b'coz the rear tires still had 70% life left whereas the front ones were totally toasted.
Old 14th September 2009, 14:10   #614
VEA
BHPian

7.00x16 NDMS

Is 7.00x16 or 7.50x16 NDMS tyres now available from MRF or JK Tyres? If so, how much does they cost.

I saw an advertisement for SPEEDWAYS tyres and they seem to have 7.00x16 NDMS tyres. Has anyone used these tyres? how good are they? Thier website is SPEEDWAYS TYRES - Manufacturers of Tractor Tyres, Earth Mover Tyres, Industrial Tractor Tyres, Compactor Tyres, Flotation Tyres, Drive Wheel Tyres, Grader Tyres, Implement Tyres, MPT Tyres, Skid Steer Tyres, Lift Truck Tyres, Trailer Tyres, Passenger
Old 14th September 2009, 17:35   #615
BHPian

Brutus,
There are a lot of companies up north that manufacture tyres. Most of their wesbites claim that they export these tyres to a lot of countries and some of them are also ISO and other XYZ certified.

There is another company called ATF. ATF Farm King Tyres . they have a similar pattern as the MRF sandGrip (ATF 7129) and another tractor type pattern for 16" wheels which i want to use for slush OTR's here(ATF 1630). I called them up and sent them an email this morning. Awaiting their reply.

shall inform as soon as i get a reply from them.

Regards,
Krishna.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks