Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2010, 11:49   #721
BHPian

Best rim for off road tracks

Hi Guys,

Am changing the existing rim in my invader (4wd) to either Scorpio or 550 rim. The tyre I plan to put is 245 / 70 / 16 Maxxix trapedor MT or big horn.
Am getting different inputs on these two options. 550 rims are heavy and will be good for heavy mud tracks. But would like to know, how 550 rims would perform on the tarmac. Is there any other rim, which some one would like to suggest
My ultimate aim with the invader is, it should perform well on the off road tracks mainly mud and rocky tracks and should be comfortable drive on tarmac.
Seek your inputs guys.
Thanks.

Last edited by Eddy : 18th February 2010 at 12:54.
Old 18th February 2010, 15:31   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson.s View Post
Hi Guys,

Am changing the existing rim in my invader (4wd) to either Scorpio or 550 rim. The tyre I plan to put is 245 / 70 / 16 Maxxix trapedor MT or big horn.
Am getting different inputs on these two options. 550 rims are heavy and will be good for heavy mud tracks. But would like to know, how 550 rims would perform on the tarmac. Is there any other rim, which some one would like to suggest
My ultimate aim with the invader is, it should perform well on the off road tracks mainly mud and rocky tracks and should be comfortable drive on tarmac.
Seek your inputs guys.
Thanks.
Hi Robinson, The 550 rims are the best but if you are going in for bighorns the you might have to check the clearance on turns the ride might be a bit bumpy on tarmac. Trapedor mt tires will give you a better ride on tarmac. As for the 550 rims no problems with on road driving but it will sure add weight compared to the Scorpio ones. By the way the Scorpio PCD and the 550 rim PCD are different, check the PCD of the rim PCD on your Invader before you buy the rims.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:53   #723
BHPian

What rim size will fit Gypsy? I am planning to order from internet so want to be sure that they will fit.

Sizes Available:

Bolt Pattern Size Backspacing
5x5.5 15x10 3 5/8
5x5.5 15x8 3 5/16

Last edited by Amar82 : 22nd February 2010 at 10:57.
Old 3rd March 2010, 01:02   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
I guess, the Gypsy is crying for new shoes then a customized bumper.

true.
confused at present though between geolanders, contis and bfgoodrich.
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:52   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
true.
confused at present though between geolanders, contis and bfgoodrich.
Have used Geolander's before, Not really happy with them. The side walls are soft and are very prone to breakage if you happen to drive quite much in hard stony offroads. 2 of my friends who have used them also have the same issue. One of them infact has 2 deep gashes from stones.

I recently switched over to BFGoodrich and have done 1 Raid and 1 Desert Storm on them and no such issues as of now. Pretty happy with the all round performance of the tyres, though they make quite some noise on tarmac. But at the end of the day they are smart looking tyres with fantastic offroad grip.

Regards,
Anirban.
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:46   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post
Have used Geolander's before, Not really happy with them. The side walls are soft and are very prone to breakage if you happen to drive quite much in hard stony offroads. 2 of my friends who have used them also have the same issue. One of them infact has 2 deep gashes from stones.

I recently switched over to BFGoodrich and have done 1 Raid and 1 Desert Storm on them and no such issues as of now. Pretty happy with the all round performance of the tyres, though they make quite some noise on tarmac. But at the end of the day they are smart looking tyres with fantastic offroad grip.

Regards,
Anirban.
Coming from an expert I will strike out the geos from the list . Actually I had been wanting to ask you for a review of the geolanders all these days it was a coincidence that you reply before I asked you. Now, I am more inclined towards the bf goodrich vis a vis the contis.

regards,
Abheek
Old 5th March 2010, 23:28   #727
BHPian

tyre and alloy options for my gypsy

I am looking at tyre and alloy options for my gypsy.
Have almost finalised the BF Goodrich in 215/75/15 size.
I want to know whether brand new bf goodrich tyres are being made available currently in india or all the old stock tyres are being sold presently. I read on the forums that people who have recently picked up these tyres have got 2-3 month old tyres. I also want to know from all of you the rates of this tyre in various cities. This tyre is not currently available in nagpur although the michellin deaer says that he can get me on order. But i don't want to place orders on tyres without seeing their manufacturing date first.

Regarding alloys, I have decided on the 5 spoke pattern 15 inches negative offset rims that we have seen on many gypsies including Anirban's old rally gypsy.
Attachment 301242
I have found out that neo wheels Welcome to Neo Wheels manufactures this pattern in 139.7 pcd, not sure yet on the pricing though. Could anyone check out the pricing of alloys of this design in various cities and update me on the price front. And also let me know if anyone has a set of 5 to sell.

Neo wheels also has a 16 inches alloy in 139.7 pcd on their site. I want to know if these 16 inchers can be fitted in the gypsy without any modifications and what mods if any need to be done to fit them on my gypsy.

Awaiting your inputs guys.

regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh
Old 6th March 2010, 04:18   #728
BHPian

The pic of the alloy did not attach in my last post. Here is the alloy design that I am looking for.

These are the various alloys available at the neo wheels site. Whats the difference between these. Which alloys will have more of the tyre coming out of the body ? Can the 16 inchers be fitted without any modifications ? What corresponding tyre size will fit the 16 inches rims ?

---------------

15" HUlk

15x6.5 inches
13 mm offset
107.5 mm backspacing
5 holes
139.7 pcd

-----------------------

15" Jumbo

20mm offset
114 mm backspacing
5 holes
139.7 pcd

--------------------------

16" Killer

16x6.5 inches size
12mm offset
106mm backspacing
5 holes
139.7 pcd

---------------------

16" Punch

16x6.5 inches size
2 mm offset
90 mm backspacing
5 holes
139.7 pcd

---------------------------

16" Claw

16x6.5 inches size
12 mm offset
106 mm backspacing
5 holes
139.7 pcd

Kindly enlighten.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Attached Thumbnails
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-5-spoke-alloy.jpg  

Old 6th March 2010, 14:41   #729
BANNED

Need suggestion

Hi

Please suggest a good tyre for a MM550 which will be used in mud/slush40% and tarmac 60% .The vehicle will be used regularly.

Let me know the approximate price too

Thanks
Old 6th March 2010, 15:20   #730
BHPian

JOSH GUY.. BF goodrich 235 70r16 would be a good choice of tyre. it costed me close to 6000/- here in hyderabad for my tata safari. even better would be if you could source the same tyre in 235 85 r16 size as this would be same as apollo bullet ( dia-31 inches).
Personally speaking mm540/550 looks good in 31 inches tyres and above.
Old 8th March 2010, 04:55   #731
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys i have a CJ3B RCL and am looking for tyres to put on the original rims. I have certain queries and doubts which i would like cleared. My objective is to drive the Jeep around in the city as well as for OTRs.

1) Which tyre type to use? I have been advised to use the NDMS but have been told that they have horrible grip in normal tarmac and cement roads.

2) What size do i put on and of what company, i.e.. which are the sizes available and which ones should i put? I have been reading that NDMS are made only by MRF and that too in the 6:00-16 size. Can i get a wider and taller tyre than this?

3) What is 6:00-16 innormal tyre size?

4) Will i get a non tube NDMS

5) I have seen on the Birla and Ceat tyre site that they have some tyres which look to me as NDMS but are cakked something else.

6) Are better NDMS tye tyres available which will offer better grip than the ones available both on road as well as for the OTR driving, eg tractor/trailer tyres shownonthe websites.

7) What are the prices of these tyres?

8) Should i invest in free wheeling hubs?

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 8th March 2010, 06:53   #732
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking at tyre and alloy options for my gypsy.
Have almost finalised the BF Goodrich in 215/75/15 size.
Well BFG's are currently being imported (If I'm not wrong) so all the current tyres will be a few months old anyway. The 215 size is perfect for a Gypsy 205 would've been better but BFG doesn't come in that size for a Gypsy. For the price I bought them for 4250 a piece this is like 6 month old price. You might also consider Michellin's Lattitude Cross. It's a good tyre for tarmac and optional offroad performance. They skid and loose grip in loose dirt a bit but are ok enough.

Quote:
Regarding alloys, I have decided on the 5 spoke pattern 15 inches negative offset rims that we have seen on many gypsies including Anirban's old rally gypsy.
Well to be frank those rims were awful. They made the entire thing very heavy and made steering very diffficult. For offroading steel rims are more favourable. BTW thanks for finding out that old photograph. Currently I'm hunting for some steel 5 spoke rally rims.

Quote:
Coming from an expert I will strike out the geos from the list.
Not, really an expert in this field, I'm quite a newbie in automobiles. I just conveyed my previous experience. There happens to be another tyre from Yokohama which has an asymmetric tread pattern, having very knobby pattern on the inside and straight cuts on the outside for better cornering. It's essentially a rally tyre and right now only available to motorsport clubs & rally enthusiasts through Yokohama directly. Hopefully I will get a set of those by August . I happened to test the tyre this time on very fine sand. Even with optimum tyre pressure the tyre performed fantastic on a gypsy without the 4x4 engaged. I'm trying to find a photograph of the tyres. Currently unavailable on Yokohama sites I'll try to get one from either Raid or DS shots. The team Army was running them on both the events.

Other Possible candidates:

1) Michellin Latitude Cross.
2) JK Brute.
3) Bridgestone Dueler A/T

All said and done. I think the best tyre will depend on what kind of use you want to have for your Gypsy .

Regards,

Anirban.

Last edited by NomadVagabond : 8th March 2010 at 06:55.
Old 8th March 2010, 08:22   #733
Senior - BHPian

My comments in BOLD
Please correct meif I am wrong!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hi Guys i have a CJ3B RCL and am looking for tyres to put on the original rims. I have certain queries and doubts which i would like cleared. My objective is to drive the Jeep around in the city as well as for OTRs.

1) Which tyre type to use? I have been advised to use the NDMS but have been told that they have horrible grip in normal tarmac and cement roads.
not horrible but not too great too. But at the same time as these vehicles do not go very fast 60-70kms/hr these tyres are pretty ok.

2) What size do i put on and of what company, i.e.. which are the sizes available and which ones should i put? I have been reading that NDMS are made only by MRF and that too in the 6:00-16 size. Can i get a wider and taller tyre than this?
There is a company in Punjab 'Speedway Tyres' and they make 7.00 x 16 NDMS but they are very expensive. I remember they quoted me 3.8k for 1 tyre tube set of 7.00 X 16!!!

3) What is 6:00-16 innormal tyre size?
I do not the width but height wise 6" is the width of the sidewall and 16" is the rim size. So 6x16 comes to 6"+6"+16" = 28" and similarly 7X16's are 30 " in height
4) Will i get a non tube NDMS
No Idea
5) I have seen on the Birla and Ceat tyre site that they have some tyres which look to me as NDMS but are cakked something else.

6) Are better NDMS tye tyres available which will offer better grip than the ones available both on road as well as for the OTR driving, eg tractor/trailer tyres shownonthe websites.

7) What are the prices of these tyres?
6.00X16 NDMS should be in the range of 2.5-2.7k per tyre and tube

8) Should i invest in free wheeling hubs?
I have them on my 3B and the vehicles rolls much more freely when on tarmac!!!
Thanks in anticipation.
Old 8th March 2010, 12:27   #734
fk7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post

Not, really an expert in this field, I'm quite a newbie in automobiles. I just conveyed my previous experience. There happens to be another tyre from Yokohama which has an asymmetric tread pattern, having very knobby pattern on the inside and straight cuts on the outside for better cornering. It's essentially a rally tyre and right now only available to motorsport clubs & rally enthusiasts through Yokohama directly.
Do you mean these ones?

Firoz
Attached Thumbnails
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-dsc01876.jpg  

Old 8th March 2010, 12:44   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk7 View Post
Do you mean these ones?

Firoz
Yes, Firoz these are the ones I was talking about. These tyres have a relatively very flatter surface than a mild curve like others and have a fantastic grip. Thanks for finding the picture.

Regards,

Anirban.

P.S: I was wrong in the directions of the patterns it's opposite to what I had mentioned before.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks