Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 15:33   #631
Distinguished - BHPian

@Vishwas, will your friend make them in 31 x 10.5 on 15" rim size? If yes, then I am a READY buyer for 1 set.
Old 29th September 2009, 23:31   #632
BHPian

vishwas,
I wish you had some videos of the mud bath with these tyres.

If used as a spare for the slush, then i guess only 4 would suffice bringing the total cost to around 15K. Almost 4 godzillas for the price of 2 mudzillas. The price makes these tyres really interesting to try them out. With these on, one will be unstoppable in the mud and muck down here in coorg and other places during the rains.

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 30th September 2009, 11:05   #633
Senior - BHPian

How cool is this!!!!!

New DUB PimpStar !!!!!!

PS - At least its an SUV!!!!
Old 30th September 2009, 17:09   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
New DUB PimpStar !!!!!!

PS - At least its an SUV!!!!
To protect your investment these wheels now come with some special features which you can option for.

Old 1st October 2009, 15:45   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post

Slush

These are the tires to be had on slush. Period. We had another Cj3b with mudzillas with a very capable and enthusiastic young driver but these tires beat the crap out of them mudzillas. One of the mods called them godzilla tires and I like the name. I tried deeper and deeper every time and these tires came up trumps. Only when my vehicle was soo deep into slush that it was sitting on its chassis that I got stuck. And boy was I stuck.It took 2 550 towing in a row, 2 broken towing straps and one bumper almost ripped off my jeep to get me out. Below are a few pics.More pics can be found on NIOC yahoo group.
12/10

And when I think that these cost less than 1/3rd the cost of mudzillas I cannot stop smiling.

cheers
vishwas
Hi Vish, thanks for the report. This part of the report I liked the best.

Looks pretty good on the Jeep. I am guessing you will be getting some orders shortly.

I would call them Traczillas.
Old 12th October 2009, 21:27   #636
BHPian

@ samurai - These are tractor tires. I dont intend to take them to track . I am thinking of second pair of road tires. But I'll change to these before leaving for an OTR. Not at the venue.
Btw the broken straps weren't mine And the bumper caused a damage of 50 bucks to hammer it back in.
Strangely my strap which had load of two 550 pulling in a row on it did not snap but those two straps snapped with load of only 1 jeep. (they were between the two pulling jeeps)

@ Arka - thanks a lot. Coming from you it means a lot to me. Both your points are absolutely valid and I will keep them in mind. I did feel extra strain on engine in sand but never thought it could damage steering or axles!!
And yes they do dig up the terrain. And since I was deliberately using them at low speed for testing they left deep ruts behind. The poor gypsy guy behind me must be cursing me.

@ kahn - I doubt he will make a second pair even for me. I am bugging him for a second pair for future keep sake and he hasn't obliged yet. Btw whats the problem with 16 inchers? you can mount them on army rims.

@ krishna - here in delhi mudzillas are 9.5k each and not available in 16 inches. So thats 5 tires in price of 2 for me and no expense on rims.

@ ironwolf - I first wish to get my self an extra pair. Lets see when that happens.

Btw I got a shackle job done and the ride is now back to where I started before tire change.
Does anybody know a shop in Delhi who can sipe these tires for me. I think I'll need to sipe them before monsoon. Does anyone has any idea/experience about DIY siping?

cheers
vishwas
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:05   #637
BHPian

Tyres for Gypsy

Hello All,

I'm looking for new set of shoes for my Gypsy King. I browsed through the forums and got the general idea that Michelin AT's are rated very high, followed by Yokos. I'm basically looking for tyres with a good balance of highway driving and mud slinging capabilities. I'll only be putting in steel rims for now due to Vit M deficiency. Can you please suggest the appropriate tyres and the rim sizes along with the approximate prices?

Also please suggest a reliable place in Bangalore to get em.

Sai

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd November 2009 at 17:21. Reason: Please use search before opening a new thread, Thanks
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:07   #638
BHPian

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin82 View Post
got the general idea that Michelin AT's are rated very high, followed by Yokos. I'm basically looking for tyres with a good balance of highway driving and mud slinging capabilities.
Sai
My 2 cents...
(1) Michelin LTX AT2 is a good tyre for onroad application, but havent seen anyone use it for offroading. Have seen the older version of the LTX.

LTX AT2 >>
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-safari4.jpg

LTX (old version) >>
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-ltx.jpg

(2) Yoko Geolanders are increasingly getting very popular with many offroaders / SUV owners cause of the overall performance. I fitted these on my Safari, but the onroad ride became noticably harsh compared to the OE Bridgestones. I later shifted these to my MM550 and am happy with their performance. Good sidewall protection and self cleaning properties.

Geolander >>
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-geolander-ats.jpg

(3) BF Goodrich (subsidary of Michelin) also good A/T tyres. Quite a few people using these on Jeeps & Gypsies.

BFG >>
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-bigman_550_2.jpg
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-bigman_550_4.jpg

Take your pick!
Attached Thumbnails
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-291006_1757.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2009, 22:12   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin82 View Post
Hello All,

I'm looking for new set of shoes for my Gypsy King. I browsed through the forums and got the general idea that Michelin AT's are rated very high, followed by Yokos. I'm basically looking for tyres with a good balance of highway driving and mud slinging capabilities. I'll only be putting in steel rims for now due to Vit M deficiency. Can you please suggest the appropriate tyres and the rim sizes along with the approximate prices?

Also please suggest a reliable place in Bangalore to get em.

Sai
Dear Sai,
Michelin ATs are definitely good. I've heard that they are softer compared to Yokos/BFGs. Yokos are rated very high by our off roading group. I am using BFGs on my new Gypsy. I purchased it for 22K for 5 from Sai Iyengar Tyres @ Lalbagh Road (Beside Prerana (TATA) Motors). They are too new to really give any feedback but they look very good
You could upsize till 215 75 R15 safely on the stock rims without any problem. If you would need more information on Michelin ATs, you could check with GTO. I think he uses the same tyre on his Classic from quite some time. There is also a new tyre from Michelin called Latitude. Not sure how good/bad they are. You could check with Rossi on the same.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:17   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
Does anybody know a shop in Delhi who can sipe these tires for me. I think I'll need to sipe them before monsoon.
Hi Vishvas, all the 'used tyre' dealers are very often do sipe the tyre so they are good doing it. You can go to any used tyre dealer and ask for siping, however you have to give them the pattern that you want. During my couple of visit to Mayapuri, I saw a few used tyre dealer in the mosque lane. You have to tell them that "Tyre ki guddi nikaalani hai".

Last edited by DesertKing : 3rd November 2009 at 12:18.
Old 4th November 2009, 16:04   #641
BHPian

Tyres for Gypsy

Thank You testdrive, great illustration with pictures. Really helped me.

Thanks for the tip starter. I'm sure our Gypsy's will be introduced to each other sometime soon.

I'm off hunting for tires now
Old 6th November 2009, 16:31   #642
BHPian

Hi All

Can someone suggest some good mud terrain tyres for a gypsy king? I am not keen on directional stuff like mudzilla or trepador, just plain simple mud terrain tread.

I am confused between 235/75 R15 and 215/75 R15. Will the 235 fit on standard rims or rims + spacers or alloys?

What are the different types available and at what price?

I am currently using the OE MRF F78 tyres and am quite happy with their performance. The only issue is that NCR trails are very thorny and I end up with 1 or more punctures each time.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 6th November 2009, 16:46   #643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
... I am not keen on directional stuff like mudzilla or trepador, just plain simple mud terrain tread. ..
The only choice you have for your requirement is the NDMS. I don't think any M/T tyre apart from NDMS would be non-directional.

But then, NDMS on Gypsy.!!! Can't visualize how it would look
Old 6th November 2009, 17:10   #644
BHPian

Khan_Sultan

I have seen two NIOC jeeps using Bridgestone MT tyres and BFG MT tyres which were both normal MT pattern and not directional. I am not sure if these are available in the sizes I need though. I will check here in Delhi and post my findings.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 7th November 2009, 07:59   #645
BHPian

Gypsy King Rim sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
I am confused between 235/75 R15 and 215/75 R15. Will the 235 fit on standard rims or rims + spacers or alloys?

Guys, I have the same doubt. Can i upgrade to 235/75 R15 if I change my rims? Is it advisable to upgrade to the above mentioned tires? I have to change the tired today and I don't want to choose a wrong size in haste.

Also, could you guys point out a place in Bangalore to purchase steel rims? I have to change mine and Sai Iyengar deals only in tires and not rims.

Bangloreans, help maadi please

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks