Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2010, 13:09   #736
Distinguished - BHPian

Check this link out. It has brief reviews for every offroading tyre available. Must read.

The Official Tire Review - Zr2USA.com
Old 11th March 2010, 12:54   #737
BHPian

Hi,

I've finally decided to go for 205/70/R15 for my Gypsy and decided against 215/75/R15. I know 125 will be better looking and will provide better braking/cornering. But 205 will be more maneuverable and since Gypsy doesn't have a power steering, that's a major criteria.

I am getting them for 4500 each in Delhi. Please tell me whether this is a good price; and a good dealer in Delhi.

Thanks

Nitin
Old 11th March 2010, 13:07   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hi,

I've finally decided to go for 205/70/R15 for my Gypsy and decided against 215/75/R15. I know 125 will be better looking and will provide better braking/cornering. But 205 will be more maneuverable and since Gypsy doesn't have a power steering, that's a major criteria.

I am getting them for 4500 each in Delhi. Please tell me whether this is a good price; and a good dealer in Delhi.

Thanks

Nitin

Going for which you prefer personally & are comfortable with is a wise decision. However, either should be fine -- I don't think you will feel much difference between 205/215.

Price seems to be ok.
Old 11th March 2010, 13:10   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks

Nitin
Hello Nitin,

Well 205 is definitely a better size for the same reason you mentioned. Which brand of tyre are you looking at? Only then the price could be found out.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 11th March 2010, 13:27   #740
BHPian

Oops. I forgot to mention the brand :-) It is Yokohama Geolandar A/T.

So 4500 for these, is OK?

And I am going for only 4; and will use the existing F78 as spare. I hope this doesn't cause a problem? (I did the same in my Getz, replaced 4 old tyres with Michelin Energy XM1+, and use the best of old tyres for spare. So far it has worked wonderfully)

\N
Old 11th March 2010, 13:29   #741
Team-BHP Support

We fit a 215 width goodyear wrangler on our gypsy king, and parking became a pain. I suggest you stick to thinner tires.
Apart from Yoko, also look at BFG- All Terrain TA/KO and the continental Cross Contact AT.
Old 11th March 2010, 13:40   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
We fit a 215 width goodyear wrangler on our gypsy king, and parking became a pain. I suggest you stick to thinner tires.
Apart from Yoko, also look at BFG- All Terrain TA/KO and the continental Cross Contact AT.
Hmmm.. Do you know any good dealer in Noida? Or I'll have to go to Lajpat Nagar/Karol Bagh?

There is a Yoko/Michelin dealer near my office in Okhla, but he doesn't have BFG/Conti :-(

\N
Old 11th March 2010, 13:59   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm.. Do you know any good dealer in Noida? Or I'll have to go to Lajpat Nagar/Karol Bagh?

There is a Yoko/Michelin dealer near my office in Okhla, but he doesn't have BFG/Conti :-(

\N
Well,, I had got mine from Lajpat Nagar's B.K Tyres. He had given me BFG's for 4500 a piece. But honestly for the price you are getting the Yoko's it's a good price. Last time I had inquired they were for 4800 a piece. But, then again I had them before and not too happy with them.

Regarding you keeping one of the older tyres for the spare. I don't really think it's a good idea as they are nylon's and have a different feel altogether than those of a Radial. But, yes if you plan to have it just for emergency purpose then it's not a big deal.

Regards,

Anirban.

P.S: If you need then I can get you the numbers of the dealer or talk to him. Whichever helps you.
Old 11th March 2010, 14:38   #744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post
Well,, I had got mine from Lajpat Nagar's B.K Tyres. He had given me BFG's for 4500 a piece. But honestly for the price you are getting the Yoko's it's a good price. Last time I had inquired they were for 4800 a piece. But, then again I had them before and not too happy with them.
4500 is for 205/70/R15; 215/75/R15 are 4900 a piece.

Does BK sells Yokos as well?

Quote:
Regarding you keeping one of the older tyres for the spare. I don't really think it's a good idea as they are nylon's and have a different feel altogether than those of a Radial. But, yes if you plan to have it just for emergency purpose then it's not a big deal.
Yes, I plan to use it only for emergencies. I use the spare only in case of puncture; and replace it with the original on the first opportunity.

Quote:
P.S: If you need then I can get you the numbers of the dealer or talk to him. Whichever helps you.
That'll be a big help. Since you already know him, please talk to him and ask about availability/price of Yoko Geolandar 205/70/R15.

Cheers

Nitin
Old 11th March 2010, 15:38   #745
BHPian

Quote:
4500 is for 205/70/R15; 215/75/R15 are 4900 a piece.

Does BK sells Yokos as well?
Oops I forgot that you are getting 205. Yes the prices I had were for 215. Yes they sell Yoko's as well. I had bought my last set from them. I'll give him a call today itself and update you with the prices & availability.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:44   #746
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

\N
There are two places you can try for tires.
1. Reliance Auto Zone gurgaon - Extremely competent pricing, and they had michelin LTX, not sure about BFG
2. CP and Khan market has continental dealers, you may try your luck there.
Since you have bought the gypsy for OTRs it may be a good idea to look at MT tires also apart from AT tires.
Old 11th March 2010, 16:39   #747
BHPian

Quote:
There are two places you can try for tires.
1. Reliance Auto Zone gurgaon - Extremely competent pricing, and they had michelin LTX, not sure about BFG
2. CP and Khan market has continental dealers, you may try your luck there.
Thanks, I will check these places.

Quote:
Since you have bought the gypsy for OTRs it may be a good idea to look at MT tires also apart from AT tires.
Ummm... Not really, I am not much into OTRs; I have bought the Gypsy for mountain/desert drives. That's why ride comfort/driveability are big factors :-)

\N
Old 11th March 2010, 16:52   #748
Team-BHP Support

In that case you can't go wrong with either of these
1. Goodyear Wrangler AT
2. Yokohama Geolander A/T
3. Continental cross contact AT
4. Michelin LTX
5. Apollo hawkz AT

Surprised at number 5? Well on the Zanskar route I met a few taxi guys who switched to this tire, after their stock bridgestone/JK etc., were torn to shreds by the non existant road.
They were happy with the hawkz!

Also get them slimed. Its incredible peace of mind.
Old 11th March 2010, 17:17   #749
BHPian

Quote:
In that case you can't go wrong with either of these
1. Goodyear Wrangler AT
2. Yokohama Geolander A/T
3. Continental cross contact AT
4. Michelin LTX
5. Apollo hawkz AT

Surprised at number 5? Well on the Zanskar route I met a few taxi guys who switched to this tire, after their stock bridgestone/JK etc., were torn to shreds by the non existant road.
They were happy with the hawkz!

Also get them slimed. Its incredible peace of mind.
Conti CrossContact, Michelin LTX and Apollo Hawkz aren't available in the size, I am looking for. The nearest one is 215/75/R15 :-(

So that leaves Yokos and Goodyear. Out of these two I have read lotsa good things about Yokos but hardly anything about Wrnaglers, so Yokos it's gonna be :-)

Thanks

Nitin
Old 12th March 2010, 02:58   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Hey Amar CONGRATS!!!! Drive Safe!!!
Thanks Kaushik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Hi Amar - Congrats on the new Gypsy! You are one true Gypsy lover!! Is it going to get painted red now? White is a bit boring.

Cheers
Ankit
I know, white is boring. But have plans to make it look nice. I am not into that much into offroading as i have limited time during my vacation. So my intend is to make it a highway cruiser for going to rajasthan,Leh,etc so will go for either 275 or 255 tyres.
I am looking for alloys similar to Arjun's Zuki with silver finish, let me know where i can find those in delhi.

Last edited by Amar82 : 12th March 2010 at 02:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks