Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2009, 17:07   #166
Senior - BHPian

If the Bangalore cops see you parking like this there could be a reckoning.

You have got yourself a nice li'l ole machine there, Mr. Khan. By the way, do you have a brother Don, Don Khan?

You mentioned LSD. Is LSD still available for Gypsy?
Old 25th March 2009, 17:34   #167
Senior - BHPian

Haha, that's a job well done mano! But please smoke those silver alloys and make this Gypsy look menacing...because it's nearly there
Old 26th March 2009, 20:59   #168
Senior - BHPian

Khan,
Since you installed the locks your Gypsy is travelling vertically more than horizontally???
Old 11th November 2009, 10:13   #169
Sha
BHPian

Hi Shanawaz,

Model-RG1530 Samurai Locker-Lock is this right model for our Gypsy.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:34   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Lockrite 1530 is the part # I have. This comes with the coupler also. This means that both the stock side/spider gears are replaced by the locker + coupler.
Old 26th December 2009, 21:12   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Had some practical learning over the weekend. The internals of the Gypsy diffs are different for the Rear & the Front.

The rear is a 4 pin type and the front is a 2 pin type. This was changed in 1993 onwards when 410 became 410W.

This means that the lockright locker CANNOT be fitted in the front diff of the Gypsy's post 1993.

To fit the locker would mean converting the 2 pin type carrier to the 4 pin type carrier.

Here are some pictures, with a side by side comparision of the rear & front diff.

Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-view1.jpg

Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-view2.jpg

Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-view3.jpg

Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-view4.jpg

Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-view5.jpg

So, now to figure out a way that will convert the 2 pin type to 4 pin type :-)

Till then the front locker mod is on hold for the time being
Old 17th January 2010, 09:51   #172
Senior - BHPian

Great thread Khan!!
Really it has all the information that anyone would need when they would want to install lockers on their Gypsy!!

I wanted to ask 1 thing and I've gone through the entire thread and couldn't find an answer
How would the front lockers behave when we are driving on tarmac
Are FWH essential for front lockers

And the last novice question
what do you mean by 2 pin & 4 pin??

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan
The rear is a 4 pin type and the front is a 2 pin type. This was changed in 1993 onwards when 410 became 410W.
And even if they are different don't we get lockers that are specifically designed for the front diff???
Old 18th January 2010, 11:38   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Great thread Khan!!
Really it has all the information that anyone would need when they would want to install lockers on their Gypsy!!
Thanks Harjeev. That's the purpose behind this thread -- sharing my knowledge so that others can also benefit from it. It also feels nice that there are 3-4 Gypsy's who have got the locker installed after reading this thread and they found the info useful .

Quote:
I wanted to ask 1 thing and I've gone through the entire thread and couldn't find an answer
How would the front lockers behave when we are driving on tarmac
Are FWH essential for front lockers
This thread was about rear lockers, so not much info on the front one's as yet.

You said it there. FWH are essential if you want any steering capability with front lockers. More, first hand practical info I will share in a few weeks time when I get them installed :-)

Quote:
And the last novice question, what do you mean by 2 pin & 4 pin??
See picture below. That's the rear locker. As you see from top, you see 4 pin ends (actually there are 3 pins but you see 4 ends). In the front one, you just have 2 pin ends (one long rod pin, not the 2 small ones). Hence the reference to a 4 pin carrier vs a 2 pin carrier. The rear diff has 4 spider gears & front has 2 spider gears. Also the axle count at the diff end is different from rear (IIRC)

Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-img_0050.jpg

Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-img_0062.jpg

Quote:
And even if they are different don't we get lockers that are specifically designed for the front diff???
NO. You need to alter the front diff to make them work.. Either, you grind the housing carrier + alter some parts to make the locker fit in, or change to a 4 pin carrier.
Old 18th January 2010, 16:07   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Thanks Harjeev. That's the purpose behind this thread -- sharing my knowledge so that others can also benefit from it. It also feels nice that there are 3-4 Gypsy's who have got the locker installed after reading this thread and they found the info useful .
Thanks Khan for the reply
I really appreciate that you've opened different threads for different mods, This way its much easier for newbies like me to get all the info in one specific threads for a particular mod than to read 30, 40, 50 or even more pages in one thread.
You thread I must say is like a reference point for me. Thanks for keeping it this way.

Quote:
You said it there. FWH are essential if you want any steering capability with front lockers. More, first hand practical info I will share in a few weeks time when I get them installed :-)
Eagerly waiting for your update!!!

Quote:
See picture below. That's the rear locker. As you see from top, you see 4 pin ends (actually there are 3 pins but you see 4 ends). In the front one, you just have 2 pin ends (one long rod pin, not the 2 small ones). Hence the reference to a 4 pin carrier vs a 2 pin carrier. The rear diff has 4 spider gears & front has 2 spider gears. Also the axle count at the diff end is different from rear (IIRC)

Attachment 267554

Attachment 267555

NO. You need to alter the front diff to make them work.. Either, you grind the housing carrier + alter some parts to make the locker fit in, or change to a 4 pin carrier.
Thanks for clearing that up.
I am now eagerly awaiting your updates on the front lockers.

Me personally, first I am trying to get my vehicle working in order and get the feel of it. Once I accomplish that, I will slowly and gradually start on the up-gradations, but again one by one, after getting pointers from other gypsy threads especially yours.
Cheers
Old 27th August 2010, 09:22   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

An update on the lockers:

Have decided against putting in lockers in the front diff primarily because of the alterations that have to be done to the diff carrier. So, the 1510 that was lying idle has been put up in classifieds and sold. I have something else in mind now for the front locker which I will share at a later stage

This August it was exactly 2 years since I had put in the rear lockers. After AKC/Exaam we thought of doing a mechanical once over and that involved opening the rear axles and checking for wear & tear. Somehow after opening the axles & putting them back, the lockers started behaving unpredictability and the clatter was much much more. In TPC they did not behave properly and I have now learnt from various sources that at times we should service the locker by opening the diff and checking for washers/springs etc. It seems that this is what we overlooked while doing the mechanical once over.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have removed the lockers for now and am running open differentials. I have something else in mind now for the rear diff also and will not be using these 1530 lockers anymore now.
Old 27th August 2010, 10:47   #176
Team-BHP Support

Will 1530 fit a CJ3B?

Can't wait to see hear what you have in plan now!
Old 27th August 2010, 11:15   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An update on the lockers:

Somehow after opening the axles & putting them back, the lockers started behaving unpredictability and the clatter was much much more. In TPC they did not behave properly and I have now learnt from various sources that at times we should service the locker by opening the diff and checking for washers/springs etc. It seems that this is what we overlooked while doing the mechanical once over.
The Lockers need to be setup correctly for them to function correctly. I thought you were the pro in this .

Anyways, from my research what i learnt is:

1. The Pins and Springs are to be of correct temper and tolerance without bends.
2. The washers given is to be set correctly to the required tolerance.
3. Too tight or too loose and you have the lockers misbehaving. Too tight, they wont unlock and too loose they will NOT lock!

Finally, the setup of the lockers is to be assembled outside the carrier assembly and checked for proper movements without any bindings anywhere. This is an important step in the setup.

Cheers
Old 27th August 2010, 11:25   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The Lockers need to be setup correctly for them to function correctly.
... Nice one.

Quote:
I thought you were the pro in this .
Of-course -- I have been using them even before some folks here heard the term LOCKER and were skeptical of the same
Old 27th August 2010, 11:30   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
1. The Pins and Springs are to be of correct temper and tolerance without bends.
Not clear with 'temper', could you explain?

Quote:
Of-course -- I have been using them even before some folks here heard the term LOCKER and were skeptical of the same
Good one , (Khan Saab, badhiya hai). I believe my guess is correct.

Spike
Old 27th August 2010, 15:14   #180
Team-BHP Support

OT:

Quote:
And you never even explained to me what it was, i thought it was one of your wierd modifications to keep hands off the horn button.

@Spike: I think by temper he meant the strength of the spring, it's not become soft.

@khan: service kits are available right? if one needs to service the lockers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks