Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2008, 17:08   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Locker Update after Sept 13th Soligere OTR

Ok, another update on the lockers after the Soligere OTR.

Again, as usual, the lockers provide amazing traction over the pebbles/loose rocks and inclines.

In sharp turns on OTR terrain, there is slight tyre spinning but as a driver you don't notice/feel it. (previously you could feel it when the spin happened). This was told to me by jeepers behind me in the terrain. However, there is no feeling that you are losing traction at any point in time during sharp OTR turns/inclines.

I do see some drop in over all mileage now for sure -- how much I am yet to get an exact figure. Previously I got ~10 kmpl in mostly city driving. Now I feel i am getting ~9. Need to do more tank full to tank full checks

In summary, after approx 3-4 OTR's post locker install and some 700+ kms driving, the lockers are going strong and I have adjusted very well to them in city driving.

Cheers,
Old 16th September 2008, 20:49   #122
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Ok, another update on the lockers after the Soligere OTR.

Again, as usual, the lockers provide amazing traction over the pebbles/loose rocks and inclines.

In sharp turns on OTR terrain, there is slight tyre spinning but as a driver you don't notice/feel it. (previously you could feel it when the spin happened). This was told to me by jeepers behind me in the terrain. However, there is no feeling that you are losing traction at any point in time during sharp OTR turns/inclines.

I do see some drop in over all mileage now for sure -- how much I am yet to get an exact figure. Previously I got ~10 kmpl in mostly city driving. Now I feel i am getting ~9. Need to do more tank full to tank full checks

In summary, after approx 3-4 OTR's post locker install and some 700+ kms driving, the lockers are going strong and I have adjusted very well to them in city driving.

Cheers,
all this means, the lockers will not let you kick out the rear into a nice powerslide in the dirt. sigh..... win some, lose some.

Old 17th September 2008, 20:36   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
all this means, the lockers will not let you kick out the rear into a nice powerslide in the dirt. sigh..... win some, lose some.
ha ha, i like that one. Rippergeo, dont you think with the lockers on, the powerslide will be easier as there will be not much differential action which automatically causes the vehicle to slide!

Often, i find the differential action very pronounced while doing a powerslide so we need to do some high speeds > 70 to achieve a good 180 deg powerslide, so i think otherwise!
Old 17th September 2008, 22:47   #124
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
ha ha, i like that one. Rippergeo, dont you think with the lockers on, the powerslide will be easier as there will be not much differential action which automatically causes the vehicle to slide!

Often, i find the differential action very pronounced while doing a powerslide so we need to do some high speeds > 70 to achieve a good 180 deg powerslide, so i think otherwise!
sorry to be so dense, but could you explain?
I was under the impression that the lockers will prevent wheel slippage. and rear wheel slippage is what we try to do in a powerslide, right?

maybe my idea of a powerslide is wrong, or my idea of what the lockers do is wrong. either way, I'm ready to learn.

Last edited by rippergeo : 17th September 2008 at 22:49.

Old 18th September 2008, 08:25   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was under the impression that the lockers will prevent wheel slippage. and rear wheel slippage is what we try to do in a powerslide, right?
The full lockers prevent differential action! Hence turning with full lockers is a nightmare!

1. If the rear wheels slip, there is a slide. For instance, In a vehicle with full lockers are ON, the rear wheel will not have differential action which forces the wheels to slip and hence a powerslide .. or a funny half turn, while trying a full one. So it is easy to do a powerslide, IMO

2. If the lockers are OFF, or in a normal vehicle, one needs to force the vehicle to actually turn when it does not want to. The rear wheels do not have the time to actually obey the differential and a slippage occurs which result in a slide. One needs good speeds to carry a powerslide and it is easier to do it on Sandy roads, red roads than tarmac where one needs even more power!

It is much easier to do a powerslide in a RWD than a FWD. ALso the rear stepping out is more pronounced in a RWD.

Cheers

Last edited by headers : 18th September 2008 at 08:28.
Old 18th September 2008, 14:32   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
all this means, the lockers will not let you kick out the rear into a nice powerslide in the dirt.....
Quote:
....with the lockers on, the powerslide will be easier as there will be not much differential action which automatically causes the vehicle to slide!......
Quote:
... I was under the impression that the lockers will prevent wheel slippage. and rear wheel slippage is what we try to do in a powerslide....
Quote:
The full lockers prevent differential action! Hence turning with full lockers is a nightmare!

1. If the rear wheels slip, there is a slide..........

2. If the lockers are OFF, or in a normal vehicle, one needs to force the vehicle to actually turn when it does not want to.............

It is much easier to do a powerslide in a RWD than a FWD. ALso the rear stepping out is more pronounced in a RWD.............
rippergeo, headers: I have NO clue to what you both are talking about. Seriously.!!! I even tried looking up 'powerslide' in internet but could not understand a thing and how it relates to lockers. Maybe, I am not at all into drag, drifts, racing etc, that's why I am not able to even comprehend what you folks are discussing.

But one this is for sure. I am NOT giving my gypsy to either of you to try and see if what all you both are saying works or does not work . NO WAY..!!!!
Old 18th September 2008, 16:58   #127
rippergeo

let me try and explain what a powerslide means to me, and when i attempt it.

on a gravel track in a RWD, as I approach a corner, I downshift, rev and pop the clutch. the rear wheels spin and lose traction, giving the effect similar to a hand brake turn, and a spectacular cloud of dust and a nice oppurtunity to practise opposite lock at the steering wheel

I always thought that was a powerslide. I do not try it on road as the speeds needed to do that are much higher, and i'm not skilled/gutsy enough to try it.

@ headers- part 1 of your explanation makes sense to me.
I'm still working hard on trying to understand part 2. will PM you if I'm unsucessful. will leave poor khan's locker thread alone

Old 18th September 2008, 17:08   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
let me try and explain what a powerslide means to me, and when i attempt it.

on a gravel track in a RWD, as I approach a corner, I downshift, rev and pop the clutch. the rear wheels spin and lose traction, giving the effect similar to a hand brake turn, and a spectacular cloud of dust........
.. NO WAY.. I am not testing/attempting this on my Gypsy with lockers.

Maybe can try it in my Palio 1.6 S10 (but it is a FWD)

Quote:
.... @ headers- .....will leave poor khan's locker thread alone..
YES.. spare this thread and discuss your powerslides elsewhere..
Old 18th September 2008, 20:12   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But one this is for sure. I am NOT giving my gypsy to either of you to try and see if what all you both are saying works or does not work . NO WAY..!!!!
Come on Khan, yours is the only gypsy i know of that has a full locker making it easier to do a slide.. be a sport
cheers:
Quote:
.. NO WAY.. I am not testing/attempting this on my Gypsy with lockers.

YES.. spare this thread and discuss your powerslides elsewhere..
Ok, my apologies for hijacking this thread!
Old 18th September 2008, 20:27   #130
Senior - BHPian

OT:
Let me explain to you that an LSD is one of the very first upgrades a drifter does to his car.
Powerslides definitely need a non-differential action to power through the slide rather than just losing traction and controlling the direction with the steering alone.
Sorry for the OT, khan.
Old 18th September 2008, 20:32   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Come on Khan, yours is the only gypsy i know of that has a full locker making it easier to do a slide.. be a sport....
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
OT:
Let me explain to you that an LSD is one of the very first upgrades a drifter does to his car.
Powerslides definitely need a non-differential action to power through the slide rather than just losing traction and controlling the direction with the steering alone.
Sorry for the OT, khan.
Ok.. what the heck.!!!. We will test this out in the Yercaud meet. 99% I will be bringing my Gypsy there. cheers:

Testing full lockers for drift/powerslide. You folks have me all intrigued and wondering

Cheers,
Old 18th September 2008, 20:39   #132
rippergeo

Quote:
OT:
Sorry for the OT, khan.
thanks nitrous, got that after reading headers post. uptil now i used to think the LSD was used by drifters mainly to keep up the speed in corners, did not realise that they assist in sliding.

Quote:
Ok.. what the heck.!!!. We will test this out in the Yercaud meet. 99% I will be bringing my Gypsy there. cheers:

Testing full lockers for drift/powerslide. You folks have me all intrigued and wondering

Cheers,
one broken locker coming up!!!!!!! just kidding.
seriously though, I think your original idea of keeping the likes of me and headers away from your gypsy is a very intelligent one.

Old 18th September 2008, 20:40   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I disagree Nitrous, LSD is used in cars to increase traction through corners, not drift through corners!

Quote:

Cheers,

Oh no..I cant make it to the yearcaud meet buddy..guess i loose the opportunity to check your gypsy!!

Nevermind, Banglore is not too far away!
Old 18th September 2008, 20:42   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

one broken locker coming up!!!!!!! just kidding.
seriously though, I think your original idea of keeping the likes of me and headers away from your gypsy is a very intelligent one.
Aaah, that locker CANNOT be broken!
Old 26th September 2008, 15:58   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Update on 'on road' driving after removing 'anti sway bar'

I got the 'anti sway bar/stabilizer bar' removed from the front of the Gypsy. (This is to improve off-road articulation).

To my surprise, It has had an impact on 'on road' driving with lockers. (Have driven approx 50Kms till now in City)

Here is what I am noticing.
  • The 'sway' has become pronounced and with that; the 'lockers' making clunk clunk sound more often.
  • The 'locker' feel at turns as become more pronounced.
  • The 'push' of the lockers is more pronounced than before.
  • I can feel both 'wheel spinning' (nothing wrong with lockers here..) while taking off -- like you see on racing (maybe this is also due to the reduction of the rear overhang).
So, it means that I will have to do some adjustments to my driving yet again.

But yes, I can feel the difference already in terms of the +ve difference it makes to articulation.

Most Viewed