Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 13:02   #106
Senior - BHPian

So Shahnawaz bhai i certainly missed the OTR yesterday and thanks for remembering me and calling as well. Had some already chalked out plans and hence could not make it.
Anyways so you got the Lockers tested and how about the TriPhase?
Old 25th August 2008, 13:02   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
  • Literally ZERO tyre slipping in 4wd. It just goes on and on -- over everything effortlessly. Just loved this part.
  • One noticeable difference I feel in OTR now is that I can now make my Gypsy crawl a lot better than before (in relative terms to the MM's). This by itself is such a huge advantage that Gypsy OTR drivers can imagine. This helps as we don't have to rev the Gypsy to bring it into it's power band.
Good! I have been waiting for your test of your new rear lockers. Has this changed your mind about adding any further enhancements? If I am reading your post correctly you had occasion on this run to go uphill in 4x4 mode and around sharp turns? And it worked well on the turns, too? This would stress things a bit, and be a good test, that is why I am asking.
Old 25th August 2008, 13:15   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
... Has this changed your mind about adding any further enhancements?
NO. I will have more mods/enhancements done. It's just personal satisfaction of making your 4x4 more and more capable. My end goal would be to have a 4x4 (based on Gypsy) that could be a worthy "Camel Trophy" 4x4.

Having said that, my gypsy in current form is capable of handling most terrains here in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
If I am reading your post correctly you had occasion on this run to go uphill in 4x4 mode and around sharp turns? And it worked well on the turns, too? This would stress things a bit, and be a good test, that is why I am asking.
Yes. You are right. and this is something I am very happy about. in 4wd with lockers it just goes on and on crawling (again, in relative terms. Gypsy folks would know this) -- and less need of revving the Gypsy to bring it into its power band. The terrain was similar that you would have up there in hills (NOT roads. I meant loose rock pebbles terrain climbs). At times there were shrp turns and NOT just plain turns. They were turns with rocky ruts/ loose rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
So Shahnawaz bhai i certainly missed the OTR yesterday and thanks for remembering me and calling as well. Had some already chalked out plans and hence could not make it.
Anyways so you got the Lockers tested and how about the TriPhase?

No problem buddy. There is always a next time. Man, was tooooooo busy and occupied with the locker that I did not even pay attention to the tri-phase. I would post a separate review in the tri-phase thread.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th August 2008 at 13:17.
Old 25th August 2008, 13:57   #109
Senior - BHPian

So, you had fun again in the OTR. Good. Wish it was a pre-planned Else I would not have missed.
Old 26th August 2008, 09:27   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Mud Terrain Tyres

Friends,

Time to plan the next set of modifications for my Gypsy (To be executed in the next 4-6 weeks).

Have started a thread in the 'Tyres & alloys section'

Geolanders/Maxxis

Need you views on the same.

Mods: Don't know if that thread belongs in 4x4 section or the tyres section or should be merged with this one. Please do the needful if required.

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 26th August 2008 at 09:46.
Old 26th August 2008, 09:40   #111
Senior - BHPian

Oh, already started the next mod. Great.

OT: Did you got any recent hike or incentive from your company.
Old 26th August 2008, 09:44   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
....OT: Did you got any recent hike or incentive from your company.
...I WISH..!!!!
I have cut down on all other forms of fun right now -- that includes movies, going out, new clothes, shoes etc.. etc.. etc.. .
Old 26th August 2008, 12:04   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I WISH..!!!!
I have cut down on all other forms of fun right now -- that includes movies, going out, new clothes, shoes etc.. etc.. etc.. .
I wish you include those cigars in these etc. Did you?
Old 4th September 2008, 20:40   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Got stuck with locker also :-)

Had been to an OTR yesterday and for the first time, after the locker install, got stuck and had to be pulled out.

And if you see the pictures, it seems the most simplest of places to get stuck . Just one of those 'innocent looking rut' that totally sucked up all traction from the front wheels and was more deep than it seemed at first.

See the picture -- one of the rear wheels is in air and the front 2 are simply stuck and just can't move forward and also the t-case is in mud.

Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-img_0156.jpg

Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now-img_0161.jpg

Apart from this place, the gypsy performed admirably and went through all places very comfortably and the lockers performed perfectly with no stress and literally zero tyre slippage.

Cheers,
Old 4th September 2008, 21:34   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Was this because all four wheels spinning or the torque was insufficient to pull out? I think if you had mud terrain tires you would have been able to pull out.
Old 4th September 2008, 21:42   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Was this because all four wheels spinning or the torque was insufficient to pull out? I think if you had mud terrain tires you would have been able to pull out.
2 tyres were spinning (front right + left rear) and I agree that with mud terrain tyres would have pulled me out. I don't think torque was an issue.

However, even the t-case was stuck in mud -- soo it's just one of those innocent looking rut that really amazes you once you are stuck. You know, 9 times out of 10 you would look at the rut and firmly believe that you an make it :-)

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th September 2008 at 21:44.
Old 5th September 2008, 05:48   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
However, even the t-case was stuck in mud -- soo it's just one of those innocent looking rut that really amazes you once you are stuck. You know, 9 times out of 10 you would look at the rut and firmly believe that you an make it :-)
The MM540 with the 4 speed kia gearbox has the t case sticking out underneath. I have had the same concern about the t case getting hooked on a rock or something. The newer NGT transmission with the Borg Warner transfer case has the transfer case to the side and doesn't stick out under the vehicle as much.
Old 5th September 2008, 07:47   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2 tyres were spinning (front right + left rear) and I agree that with mud terrain tyres would have pulled me out. I don't think torque was an issue.
Shanavaz, if you have the full locker on rear wheels, then the rear left alone should not spin, theoritically, i.e. even if it is in air, right?

Wonder how it spins in this situation. Yeah, agree with you that the most demure of obstacles can really be AN OBSTACLE to cross over..

Anyways, hope you are having fun as usual

Old 5th September 2008, 09:19   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2 tyres were spinning (front right + left rear) and ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Shanavaz, if you have the full locker on rear wheels, then the rear left alone should not spin, theoritically, i.e. even if it is in air, right?

Wonder how it spins in this situation...
My mistake in posting. I meant that there was no traction in these 2 wheels -- one was in deep mud/rut and the other in air.

The rear set of tyres were spinning together and not the left rear alone. The locker worked perfectly fine.

Quote:
...I have had the same concern about the t case getting hooked on a rock or something...
Just wait for the next set of pictures & report :-)

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th September 2008 at 09:28.
Old 5th September 2008, 09:47   #120
BHPian

@Shahnawaz: I had the same questions as headers. Good to know your lockers performed as expected.

Quote:
Just wait for the next set of pictures & report :-)
Eagerly waiting for more pictures and stories. Keep em coming

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks