Old 30th September 2009, 10:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Some CJ3B information

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...t-violent.html

Regards,

Arka
Old 30th September 2009, 23:27   #17
BHPian

thanks for the link, but the questions remain unanswered.
also how does a weber carb make any difference in terms of fe and performance.

please also clear up my concepts of compression ratio....whar does it mean and what is the significance? also same for differential sizes???
Old 1st October 2009, 04:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Docfreak buddy re the humming sound, it is most likely the diffrential and the other that increases with speed may be the wheel bearings or both.
Old 1st October 2009, 09:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
guys , fresh set of issues:

1. when taking a turn the jeep is very unstable and sort of glides out eratically....is it expected?

2. the jeep backfires every few minutes and till i do not rev up before a gear change the engine starts having hiccups and loses power for a few seconds.

3. where do i mount the jerrycan , as already the spare tyre mounted on the left aspect of the tail gate with the sviwel mechanism

4. i got a bug shield yesterday, how do i mount it?
could anyone put up some pictures showing it.

i think this is enough for today.

frsh ride tomorrow, so new issues tomorrow...

Here are my clarifications

1. when taking a turn the jeep is very unstable and sort of glides out eratically....is it expected?

I'm not really able to under what do you mean by saying glides out erratically, however the erroneous steering moments could be classified into the following issues:

a. You are driving your jeep with 4WD engaged on an hard surface - This will have issues to your 4WD components and very often you will notice the problems in take turn. "KEEP the 4WD disengaged in hard surface like tarmac roads"

b. Worn out steering warm or balls that can give excessive play on the steering wheel. This will be a permanent issue and you can feel the play in halted jeep's steering wheel too.

c. Death Wobble - a common issues noticed and many times discussed in the forum. The death wobbles makes the jeep unstable at time in the speed above 50kmph. You need to look at king pins, knuckle bearings, wheel bearings, tie-rods, and tie-rod joints, knuckle and any other components that is related to suspension and steering.

2. the jeep backfires every few minutes and till i do not rev up before a gear change the engine starts having hiccups and loses power for a few seconds.

I'm no idea about the petrol engine of the jeep, however some clues
a. Look at your distributer for issues (points and timing)

b. Carburetor settings

I remember in one of the posts, our Bangalore TBHPian had similar issues and finally solved with Rs.5 expense. Check it out.

3. where do i mount the jerrycan , as already the spare tyre mounted on the left aspect of the tail gate with the sviwel mechanism

a. you can place it right behind the front fenders just parallel to the firewall

b. You can place is inner side of your tail gate if it is swing open type

c. You can fix it in another swing open door on the right side of the tail gate

d. you can fix it in straight line along with the spare wheel with an extended plate fabricated to hold the can holder.

4. i got a bug shield yesterday, how do i mount it?
could anyone put up some pictures showing it.

Bug shield ??? I guess you are talking about the insect mesh in front of the grill.

1. Two stopper clips that will go into the inner bottom side of the grill and stop the mesh going down

2. and two self lockable clips which will get locked in the last 2 grill to hold the mesh tight and close to the Jeep's grill. You need the press the self lockable clips to the grill so it gets locked firmly

if required you can press the locker plates together before inserting so it gets firm lock.

Last edited by trammway : 1st October 2009 at 09:36.
Old 1st October 2009, 11:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Q&a

1. my jeep stalls on the mechanical pump in about 30 kms, then i have to shift to the elec pump...reasons???

i) Ascertain does she stall because of overheating, if so check Ignition Timing
b) Brakes Drums
c) Cooling System
d) The Fuel Pump has a gasket where it is bolted to the engine block.

ii) Check the complete fuel delivery system rust/dust can cause the pump to clog.
a) Clean the tank
b) Clean fuel lines
c) Clean fuel filter

2. what is difference between piston ring job and overhauling the engine?
i) Piston Ring Job Is usually done when there is excessive oil consumption, but compression is within acceptable limits(145ft/lbs for 7.8:1 CR)ii) Overhauling
a) rebore/Resleeve
b) New Piston & Rings
c) New Con-Road and Main Bearings
d) New Timing Gear (Fibre)
e) New head gasket & major Gasket assembly

3. my jeep doesnt have a hand brake, does it work ina jeep? should i be haviong it? what is the approx cost involved?

The Handbrake is fitted on the transmission i.e rear propeller shaft.The Handbrake Lever in post 1980s M&M CJ3B-4 were under the dash board right of the steering wheel.More often than not you will have to change the Handbrake cable.

4. why do i have to press the accelator pedal and start the jeep , it doesnt start without it?

i) Check carburettor (Choke)
ii) Check ignition timing
iii) increase the idling speed to (700-800rpm)

5. the gear shift in reverse and 1st is much longer in comparison to the 3rd and 4th, is it normal?

Normal
6. how can i caliberate my speedometer , it shows excess speed kmph?

Depends if you know the loaded tyre diameter and diff-ratio you can calculate.

New Tyre Dia/ Old Tyre Dia = Factor of error

7. would front lambda hubs help in improving fe? and how?

The FWH disengage the front propeller shaft and axles.

The Prop-Shaft weight 5kgs when engaged that 5X 200rpm = 1000kg of useless work(approx) PER MINUTE!!!!!

FWH improves FE and acceleration. Very noticeable in Petrol JEEPs.

8. how do i come to know that some thing is wrong with the carb?

i) Obvious external symptoms like petrol overflowing/ gumming outside the carburettor body.
ii) Rough idling
iii) Engine dies under acceleration.
iv) When the carb is installed there should be no vacuum leak, i.e the carb should be gasket and sealed properly.

9. are there any mechanical components we could get better in europe??(as i leave for a visit for there, and wanted to get a gift for my jeep ....)

Nothing for the CJ3B in Europe, USA is the best place.
The WEBER 32/36DGEV improves acceleration, fuel delivery at extreme angles and marginally better FE.

Compression Ratios on F4-134
1) 6.9:1
2) 7.4:1 for High-Altitude use
3) 7.8:1 for High-Altitude use by M&M

M&M started using Dana 44 (8.5" Ring Gear) even on the front differential once the complete production line was indigenized i.e 1967-70 circa.

So
Front 48.4" Track Dana 44 with Full Floating Axles
Rear 48.4" Track Dana 44 with Semi Floating Axles.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Ask Behram Dabhar for tips & suggestion

Last edited by ex670c : 1st October 2009 at 11:12. Reason: addl. info
Old 1st October 2009, 16:26   #21
BHPian

information overload....
will take some time to effect all these things

one more problem:

when i engage a gear and move off , for the initial 10 odd metres the acceleration is poor and seems that the engine will stall, then i have to half press the clutch and rev up , then it becomes ok. this goes on regardless how much i have run the jeep and what ever the gear be...a new problem and this makes drivin not so much fun...pl help

my queries make me look..... on the forum,,,but tryin to learn my way...thanks everybody, specially shiva and arka
Old 1st October 2009, 20:44   #22
BHPian

Where you are getting your jeep worked upon?

Tarquative is getting is jeep build in Noida by one of our Tbhpians. Why dont you take help of him. Wish I could have helped, but for me all technical talks is greek!
Old 1st October 2009, 21:46   #23
BHPian

Gurus, can i jump in with some basic, basic questions?

a) What are floating and semi floating axles? Which are the most suited for 3B for mostly tarmac use?
b) What are limited slip differentials?
c) Are there any other type of differentials also? Which are the best for a 3B for tarmac use again?
d) The mahindra 3B 1984, does it have a 6volt or 12 volt system?

Regards,
atul
Old 2nd October 2009, 00:01   #24
BHPian

Hi Docfreak,

The Problem that you have mentioned in post 21 is the same that I had with my petrol 3b. You need to correct the timing. Or your problem could be root caused to same as mine. I have detailed the problem and solution here
Check out post #7 on this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...1962-cj3b.html

If not the same issue as mine, you should still get the timing set by either a timing light or an experienced mechanic. Also like Arka mentioned earlier, you might have to service the carb.

Arka: How does one set the idling to a particular rpm without the rpm meter?
Old 2nd October 2009, 19:00   #25
BHPian

thanks docfreak,
i also dug up some material on the net but all of it was too theoritical. its application in my 3B is actually what i'm looking for. in my Yamuna nagar thread i've also raised the question of finding a 5 speed gear box along with a suitable TC for the hurricane that i plan to fit in. Its technical feasability, reliability & maintenance issues. The floating axle part is still groggy to me inspite of digging up the wikipedia.

atul
Old 5th October 2009, 07:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH View Post
thanks docfreak,
i also dug up some material on the net but all of it was too theoritical. its application in my 3B is actually what i'm looking for. in my Yamuna nagar thread i've also raised the question of finding a 5 speed gear box along with a suitable TC for the hurricane that i plan to fit in. Its technical feasability, reliability & maintenance issues. The floating axle part is still groggy to me inspite of digging up the wikipedia.

atul

Hi Atul,

I really doubt if you can mate a 5 forward speed gearbox with your hurricane. As the BA10 and NGT series are the available options for mahindra jeep and they are 1ft extra in the length leading the gearbox flange to directly sit on the differential universal joint. Already the rear propeller shaft of SWB is almost close to 1ft and replacing any gearbox which is longer than the T-90 or KMT-90 will lead you to disaster.

If you are thinking of extra milege and a compromise in power you can go for KMT-90 with 9/44 tail crown set (you can get matching bell housings for the Hurricane out of a MM440 - Mr.UBS written elsewhere in this forum)which will give you good top speed. But remember there will be a loss of power, compare to the original settings with this engine.

Last edited by trammway : 5th October 2009 at 07:55.
Old 5th October 2009, 14:08   #27
BHPian

Thank you trammway for the gear box solution. I think i'll take the KMT-90 if available or otherwise stick to the trusty old T-90. In respect to tyres I found that NDMS 6x16 are available from MRF, but would they be the best fit for primarily highway use? I was thinking of something upto 7' tread width...radials and tubeless if available but keeping them to 16" rims.

Regards
atul
Old 5th October 2009, 15:51   #28
BHPian

siva:
in kmt 90 the 2nd and the 3rd gear put together equate with the 2nd of the t90........pls correct me if i am wrong.
so if i assume i am not wrong , how can this gear box change produce better mileage?....maybe its very dumb question....but it came to me none the less.
also why change the crown as u mentioned?

atul:
also my jeep is running on ndms and i have driven it on metalled roads for the almost a 1000 kms, in the recent past , and its been raining of late, i didnt find any issues. other than that :there is noise and beyond 70 kmph they tend to loose grip when turning hard..but that is not what u are expected to do in a jeep.right?
Old 5th October 2009, 16:00   #29
BHPian

my jeep engine stalls and splutters when ever i am taking a hard turn or maybe over some big bumps. i assume that the fuel flow is disturbed then , so is that normal and can something be done about it?

BEGGINING TO LOVE THE HURRICANE ENGINE, dont feel like driving anything else at all, inspite of the fact that a few days back on one major road in delhi it stalled and at that point of time the road was single lane wide (the metro construction had blocked the other two lanes) and we had to push it for 100mts , and in the mean while traffic piled up ....
initially i thot as it was a rough road so maybe the fuel flow stopped, so turned on the elec fuel pump and waited for a minute then cranked. it yet didnt yet start. and then i waited for a few minutes and saw the temp.....it was HOT!!! and then we rolled it to the other lane 100metres beyond.all this while i didnt feel any sweat , just love for my jeep .
WITH ALL HER FAULTS I LOVE HER STILL.
Old 5th October 2009, 16:03   #30
BHPian

R HANDLE:

i too am in noida and my jeep is cared for at jaswinder,s place as well. were u talking of naveen?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks