Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2010, 18:40   #91
BHPian

electronic pump , only as back up, never been used. never faced any of the problems you mention, as yet
Old 25th March 2010, 20:14   #92
Senior - BHPian

Sharat
what is the position of the electric pump.

TANK ---->ELEC FUEL PUMP ---->MECH FUEL PUMP ---->CARB or

TANK ---->MECH FUEL PUMP ---->ELEC FUEL PUMP ---->CARB

Please advise as the summer are already around the corner the mechanical pump issue will start cropping up
Old 25th March 2010, 21:43   #93
Senior - BHPian

harjeev please refer the post by BD on installation of fuel system for CJ3Bs, this gives a comprehensive step by step procedure of what needs to be done.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...rricane-5.html

Spike
Old 29th March 2010, 17:33   #94
BHPian

hi harjeev, as mentioned by spike follow the link given , i too have posted my assembly, as it is in my jeep.

today i ran out of fuel while driving , as i did not expect it , i cranked the engine a few long times, then got down and saw that thefuel was flowing into the engine , carted some fuel on foot from the petrol pump, then to my horror saw that the engine was not catching up inspite of 4 litres of fuel. spoke to my mechanic and learnt the trick: put some fuel in the carb after taking off the air connection and then voila it was up and about .
i felt that air lock was a problem associated with diesel engines only , so what was this issue?
Old 29th March 2010, 17:43   #95
BHPian

review ; 500km after engine rebuild

partial review ; 500 km post engine rebuild:

kms done: 500kms
average runs of 20 kms in city traffic in morning and noon
fuel effficency : 8.2kmpl
engine oil consumed: almost nil
water consumed: 2.5 litres
max speed done: 45kmph
4*4 not engaged at all

problems :1. some oil leaking from near the oil pump, some oil near the 1st spark plug, god knows how and why its there? i dont think it can be a leak..not from the spark plug.

2. gear box seems to be playing up , makes the sick scratching sound while engaging the 1st

3. oil pressure gauge reads 3-4 initially, then when the engine warms up it comes down to 1-2. is it normal?

4. temperature guage seems overworked , shows 100 in a few minutes and then sticks there, seems 100 is the 80 for the jeep. reset.

overall: flying on the top of the world , with plans to take my baby out to ladakh this summer
Old 30th March 2010, 08:50   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Doc Sharath - I read your PM. Then I read all the 7 pages. My reply is as follows.

Fuel percolation (post 94) - I have given phase 1 of corrective action in Jaggu's Jeep thread. Just do as indicated, your vehicle will work properly.

Oil leakage from the engine - it could be as small as the technician not applying the correct torque to fasteners, or it could also mean that the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation system) is not vented somewhere. Please post detailed photographs. I will analyse and reply.

First gear crash - First gear is not syncromesh.

Oil pressure drop with rise in temperature - incorrect specification of oil, incorrect setting of oil pressure relief valve, incorrect engine lubrication system clearances.

Overindication of temperature - do you get major water / coolant loss (radiator top tank empty) or is the guage overindicating? Cross check by DOE method (design of experiments), you can get to the root cause in no time. I presume that all engine parameters are set as mentioned in the workshop manual. If not, please reset. If yes, please recheck and confirm.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 30th March 2010, 14:55   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Oil pressure drop with rise in temperature - incorrect specification of oil, incorrect setting of oil pressure relief valve, incorrect engine lubrication system clearances.
Behramji how to sort this issue? Which spec is ideal for our indian climate? How do we set the oil pressure relief valve?

Same issue is there in my vehicle, and i remember DKG mentioning the same.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th March 2010 at 15:00.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:32   #98
BHPian

just back from the workshop, the mechanic tells me that the manual mentions that the pressure should be above 1.5 when the engine is warmed up , so no problem here. is that true?

the clutch was adjusted , so was the rpm.

the engine oil leak was from the tapet cover which has been tightened.

he mentioned that usually the oil pump has a "patti" , at the end, placed a little off the centre, as is the case with the distributor, but mysetup has both the things having the "patti" in the centre, could anyone elaborate? and so sourcing a new oil pump for my matching distributor would be difficult

waiting for decoding of the info given above
Old 1st April 2010, 17:19   #99
BHPian

engine pictures

uploading some pictures
1. the engine bay
2. the mechanical fuel pump
3. the oil pump which is supposedly of some rare type as described in the previous post
4. the distributor, which matches to my oil pump
4. the new addition: of the air breathing pipe on my rear differential
Attached Thumbnails
All questions for CJ 3B-img_0414.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-img_0417.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-img_0418.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-img_0419.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-img_0421.jpg  

Old 1st April 2010, 19:03   #100
Team-BHP Support

Isn't that the oil filter assembly? and the distributor seems to be the lucas ones?
Old 1st April 2010, 22:03   #101
BHPian

you are spot on , its lucas , but has a small difference which i have outlined in the previous post , which i am not sure is actually true?
Old 4th April 2010, 06:37   #102
BHPian

now that the engine is done well, i am planning some mods for the purpose of decreasing the gear box hum , increase top speed , making the ride smooth and increasing usable space.
for these what i have in mind are :
diff ratio change, any suggestions as to what should be the ratio to optimize the on road and off road capability with a cruising speed of approx 70 kmph
getting composite fibre leaf springs, anyone knows where i could source them in the ncr and what would be the approx cost
also planning to put a gear lock , to improve the safety and decrease the anxiety when ever i park it away from home.
has anyone put seat belts in their jeep , if so please could you post some pictures of the same.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:08   #103
Team-BHP Support

For seat belts, add a roll cage and attach the belt on the bar. I think Samurai and GTO has this set up.

Ok i need some info doc, what is the radiator hose thats used? The top one?
Old 7th April 2010, 09:19   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Ok i need some info doc, what is the radiator hose thats used? The top one?
Jaggu
Thats a Metlife, methose or something (I hope that i have the name correct). They are extremely resistant to heat, very durable and do not wear off quite easily. I have the same in my vehicle, atleast the top one and the bottom one is the usual local make that we see normally, though I have a standby(metlife) and will use it when the time comes to change the bottom one.
Old 7th April 2010, 18:24   #105
BHPian

spot on harjeev. these hoses are damm good
conccerning security of our jeeps? ideas?
the scorpio type gear lock is what i am considering any suggestions?

Most Viewed