Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2011, 06:54   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: All questions for CJ 3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,

The larger drums used to take an awfully long time to dry out after a fjording.

The wider track will give better stability, but I don't think affects body roll in any way.
Sutripta,
The drying out of bigger drums is hardly an issue, if you compare it to the added braking efficiency, which is what docfreak is looking for.

A wider track translates into better stability, main reason being that the high CG of a 3B is negated to an extent and the physics here is, tall and narrow contributes to more body roll than tall and wide.
Regards,
Old 21st January 2011, 09:12   #182
BHPian

sutripta- the wheels lock well. it rather skids as well
jaggu- my setup is front and rear, no diagonals, i didnt consult anyone for the setup, but did it . any specific pattern is used??
fazal- u got my point , i wish to increase stability and deecrease body roll and also increase top speed without loosing the lower end grunt, so trying to gather info for the needed mods. pls share as to what u would do for these issues.
Old 21st January 2011, 10:29   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
jaggu- my setup is front and rear, no diagonals, i didnt consult anyone for the setup, but did it . any specific pattern is used??
Even i would like to get the details hence asked the question. Mine was connected by the mech and i never bothered to check, maybe i will now
Old 21st January 2011, 10:41   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i wish to increase stability and deecrease body roll and also increase top speed without loosing the lower end grunt, so trying to gather info for the needed mods. pls share as to what u would do for these issues.
docfreak,
Body roll in Jeeps is an inherent thing. Decreasing it slightly is possible by wider track diffs. as I did on my CJ340. Also adding 2" spacers further increases the track width. Both these mods definitely increase stability.

Spacers on Jeeps is a highly debatable subject, opposed by many Jeepers, as it is prone to breakage while off roading. But senior guys like Khan Sultan has it on his Gypsy, and does some hard core stuff without any problems.

The Hyderabad Rubicon too has 2" spacers, stability and the grip 'off roads' is very evident. No problems on two OTR's with it yet.

I too am contemplating doing it. Experts please advice.

Reg. increasing the top speed, better persons to advice would be, UBS, Arka, BD, Jaggu, than myself.
Regards,
Old 21st January 2011, 11:12   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
fazal- u got my point , i wish to increase stability and deecrease body roll and also increase top speed without loosing the lower end grunt, so trying to gather info for the needed mods. pls share as to what u would do for these issues.
My understanding of this is you cant have both with the stock CJ3B gearbox. Logical step is to upgrade to a 4 speed box. I think Arka has written about this multiple times.
Old 21st January 2011, 20:55   #186
Senior - BHPian

Diagonal split leaves you with 50% braking in case of one circuit failing, but with a strong pull to oneside. With a F/ R split, one really has very little left in case of a front circuit failure. Braking however is even.

Don't think track (or wheel spacers) affect body roll in a solid axle vehicle. Stability Yes, Body Roll No.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 14th February 2011, 21:29   #187
BHPian

The love and the learning with the 3b never stop....

New issues:
how do i make my jeep more water/slush resistant, as in the engine, what all to save and how?

was thinking of adding a heatlon sheet in the engine bay to prevent the heat creeping in ?

what are the kinds of foot and floor mats ( if any ) in the 3b, you have seen?

cracked the outer covering of the steering coloumn in an otr, can i change the outer covering only? would that be recommended on safety parametres?

well the jeep seems to be doing better than what i ever imagined, smooth, refined and a truely reliable buddy in out otrs. as the kms on the odometer keep clicking on , post the rebuild, the smoother and more dependable its becoming.

will post some pictures tomorrow.

regards
sharat
Old 15th February 2011, 09:41   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
NDMS you will have to air down if you want them to perform, about 15 psi for slush. Get a set of decent modern tyres, it will make your CJ3B a killer offroad machine. Am really missing the Trepador after i parted with them :(
Next mod on my 3B (when I have some cash reserves) is a set of Maxxis or better set of MT tyres. The Hurricane has so much potential but is usually let down by the tyres (not to mention the skill level of the driver ).

P.s The other day while coming back from an OTR I saw close to 95 kmph + on the speedo while dragging with Pushkin's Bolero Storm CRDE. He said he saw 110 while still behind me,..but that could be speedo error.
Old 16th February 2011, 10:29   #189
BHPian

110 kmph on 3b???
before u decide on the maxxis, take a feedback from harjeev
Old 18th February 2011, 22:15   #190
BHPian

Just gatecrashing with my query!

What is the size and type of front axle in a LHD CJ3B? What I mean is the length of the shorter RH side and the longer LH side? And how many splines? 10 or more?
Old 19th February 2011, 13:02   #191
BHPian

Quote:
110 kmph on 3b???
before u decide on the maxxis, take a feedback from harjeev

Sharath read,..I said 95 kmph+,..
Pushkin's storm was probably showing a higher speed due to speedo error !!

Last edited by Torque-ative : 19th February 2011 at 13:03.
Old 26th February 2011, 16:17   #192
BHPian

Regarding Oil Bath Air Filter

Needed input on 2 things

1> On opening the oil bath air filter of the CJ, the mech suddenly said it was missing the metal 'kanthi' element. On decoding it meant that he was expecting some steel wool type packing in there and not expecting it to be empty. Do CJ air filters have such a thing? If so where can i find it.

2> What oil should I put in the air filter. It is bone dry right now

Third bonus question:

In an oil bath filter, what prevents from getting the oil getting sucked into the air supply in case of a heavy landing causing a huge splash/severe tilting/toppling of vehicle?

Attaching a much older picture of the engine bay for reference

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc01259.jpg
Old 27th February 2011, 01:57   #193
Team-BHP Support

I dont remember seeing the mesh in my 3B also. I use engine oil in the filter plate. Yes splash or oil feeding the crab is a possibility in certain scenario, iirc have seen it happen in a diesel engine.

Now question from my side, if we are to upgrade to paper filter system. Which one is ideal, bolero unit?
Old 1st March 2011, 10:34   #194
BHPian

if i am not wrong the 3b used to come with the paper filter as well, i have that in my jeep.
Old 1st March 2011, 14:31   #195
Senior - BHPian

Re: Regarding Oil Bath Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Needed input on 2 things

1> On opening the oil bath air filter of the CJ, the mech suddenly said it was missing the metal 'kanthi' element. On decoding it meant that he was expecting some steel wool type packing in there and not expecting it to be empty. Do CJ air filters have such a thing? If so where can i find it.
2> What oil should I put in the air filter. It is bone dry right now

Third bonus question:

In an oil bath filter, what prevents from getting the oil getting sucked into the air supply in case of a heavy landing causing a huge splash/severe tilting/toppling of vehicle?
Hi Soumya,

1) IIRC The Steel Wool is filled in the Air-Filter Body. That cannot be replaced. The bottom of the barrel has perforated Steel Element which reduces/prevent such splashes.

http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/Phot...erParts300.JPG

2) Engine Oil

3) Bonus Answer.

We recently faced this dilemma in the Aavalakonda OTR, the Toppled MM540 refused to start, could barely take a crank.

We checked the following
1) Battery and Connections

2) Starter Motor

3) Finally we realized the Oil from the Air-Filter had entered the cylinder head and caused a lock. So we removed the Heater/Glow Plug and cranked the Engine, there was Engine Oil in No2 Cylinder. The vehicle started and smoked for a few seconds before getting back to normal.

So in a Petrol Engine remove the Spark Plugs, after numbering the cables and crank to remove non combustible foreign matter .

Regards,

Arka

PS - You can change to the MDI3200TC Plastic Drum Type Air-Filter.

Last edited by ex670c : 1st March 2011 at 14:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks