Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2009, 16:42   #31
BHPian

@docfreak,...I drove you jeep extensively on the way back from Neemrana and it purred like a baby !

A jeep is a jeep and expecting it to behave like a car would see one dissapointed.
Your jeep was exteremely well behaved on the highway and back country roads (we did not take it off-road). I offered to drive the jeep back to delhi since we had two small children (2.5 & 2.75yrs old), we shifted the women and children to my City with Jasvinder at the wheel and I trailed them all the way back at 65-70 kmph.

Not once did the jeep stall, or feel like it would let me down.
You need to be gentle with the throttle pedal,..and keep a keen eye on the temp gauge as this is after all IInd world war tech.

The Cj3b is not a road car,.and if you expect to substitute this for your daily driver you are better off doing what @Kandisa (soumen) did. The 1.8 isz engine is much more at home on the highways and with a 5 speed gear-box is excellent all around.

Keep the Hurricane engine only if off-roading and weekend cruising is your objective.
The engine with its amazaing load of torque is un-matched when it comes to tackling obstacles but on the road it tires you down.

All in all you have a great jeep,..just work on the quirks one at a time.
However this will never replace your daily driver,..and is not a good car for touring either.

Happy jeeping my friend,..hope to see you soon

Last edited by Torque-ative : 5th October 2009 at 16:58. Reason: typo
Old 5th October 2009, 16:56   #32
BHPian

@docfreak,...the mechincals of the Hurricane are very heavy and it takes some time for the momentum to build up on the the flywheels thru the crank shaft and ultimately to the wheels.

Hence from a standing start it seems sluggish. I am concerned that if you continue to either dump or slip the clutch you are going to encounter more wear and tear of your mechincals.

You jeep is very quick up to 50 kmph compared to many Cj3b's I've driven at NIOC. it is only after that the engine begins to loose steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
information overload....
will take some time to effect all these things

one more problem:

when i engage a gear and move off , for the initial 10 odd metres the acceleration is poor and seems that the engine will stall, then i have to half press the clutch and rev up , then it becomes ok. this goes on regardless how much i have run the jeep and what ever the gear be...a new problem and this makes drivin not so much fun...pl help

my queries make me look..... on the forum,,,but tryin to learn my way...thanks everybody, specially shiva and arka

Last edited by Torque-ative : 5th October 2009 at 16:57. Reason: typo
Old 5th October 2009, 17:22   #33
BHPian

Hi Docfreak,
Whats the maximum speed that you have attained on your 3B?
Do the NDMS come only in 6" width or is there anything at 7" also?

atul
Old 6th October 2009, 06:49   #34
BHPian

hi naveen,

i am aware that u drove my jeep extensively...

the issue of loosing steam in the initial pick up after a gear change is new , since it has come back after neemrana, before that it wasnt there. and its most probably because the float level of the carb was changed without the jet size being altered.

the jeep is almost my daily ride, and that too with its hurricane engine.i am driving it daily for almost 50km.

the isuzu engine in the jeep...well it didnt appeal to me, its a very car'ish feel to it.

also i have been sitting in a 3b since donkeys of years , maybe the earliest memories of vehicle i have are either of either 3b or a jonga, so i know of what to expect of it. and no its not a car.

the jeep in its present state is because of a constant effort by uncle ji and jaswinder who have been on it , lots of issues have been settled of late and i expect my jeep to be close to what i wish very soon. last set of issues have been listed and will sorted out over this week.

hope to see u soon . when u are coming to the workshop let me know i will drop in .
Old 6th October 2009, 06:53   #35
BHPian

atul ,

my speedometer isnt caliberated well, so approximately speaking the top speed i have done is 90kmph on the expressway to g.noida.

i know 6" are available on ndms, no idea of the 7"
u can ask a guy who runs a shop by the name of tyre shoppe in noida, he is well stocked and gets all things u order for.
Old 6th October 2009, 15:21   #36
BHPian

can a winch from a sailing boat be used in a jeep??i think the priciple is similiar...experts???
Old 7th October 2009, 10:20   #37
BHPian

Hi doc freak,
The top speed of 90 you have attained even if with an error of 10-15%, i.e. 75-80 kmph actual, seems to be very good.

The tyre dealer in noida you were referring to, is it possible to get some location, address, or contact number?

atul

Doc freak,
is it possible to see your jeep some day? if you can send me your address or location , i'd love to see it in person.

atul

Last edited by Dippy : 8th October 2009 at 18:08. Reason: back to back posts
Old 7th October 2009, 16:22   #38
BHPian

atul sure, will call u today
Old 7th October 2009, 17:02   #39
BHPian

Hey Docfreak. Congratulations for your new purchase. Once can see that the jeep is going to keep you engaged for some time to come.

Some problems that you mention (like sideways rolling) cannot be diagnosed just by simple statements. Maybe a few photos of the Jeep and close ups of the various parts will help.

If I am not mistaken your Jeep is in white color. Is that correct?
Old 8th October 2009, 10:44   #40
BHPian

hoopoe,

are u into birding??
my jeep is kept me busy for almost 6 months now, seems to be settling into the state i wish it to be in.
yes my jeep is white, was initially sky blue when purchased.
have u seen it??
Old 8th October 2009, 17:27   #41
BHPian

DOKTOR,
Load up some snazzy photos of your jeep. let everybody see your prized possession.

atul
Old 8th October 2009, 20:15   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
hoopoe,
are u into birding??
my jeep is kept me busy for almost 6 months now, seems to be settling into the state i wish it to be in. yes my jeep is white, was initially sky blue when purchased. have u seen it??
Yes, I love birds and part of a small circle of wildlife enthusiasts around Delhi.
I took a wild guess about your CJ3B since a similar Jeep was for sale in the classified section. I am guessing (again) that you were the 1st buyer of that beautiful piece and decided to keep it.
Old 9th October 2009, 07:04   #43
BHPian

hoopoe ...u are a birder with special interest in detective stuff....
well yes its the same jeep and it went up for sale for 2 days when i and jaswinder were at our wits end to why does it stall every few kms. after having spent months trying to localise the problem. so it was a fit of anger which we both had....
it is my jeep and shall remain for many years to come.(how fimy)
how did u deduce your conclusions....i am curious to know

r u reffering to delhi bird group?
mme and my wife too are into it.
Old 9th October 2009, 07:05   #44
BHPian

atul pix will be up today
when is ur plan to come over?
Old 9th October 2009, 07:22   #45
BHPian

issues to be sorted out today:

fwh will be put.
the float and jet size matched
timing crosschecked
speedometer calliberation
suspension leaf springs, ends, shackes will be taken apart , greased ..each leaf seperately , and put back
accesories which were purchased last week , willbe installed
minor electrical issues

that should attend to the main problems of lag in the pick up after ger change, presumably due to flooding of fuel. and also of exploring the reason why the jeep is tilting to the front and right end.

latest problem:
when i go over a rough patch the undercarriage has a sound as if some rod or something heavy is knoking against it or moving side to side, this noise is consistently present and not very well localiosed to site of origin..any suggestions as to what should i look up?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks