Re: The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!

Thar di photos after fitting new differentials and winch plate
Attached Images

Old 27th September 2012, 10:10   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Wow! That's a nice way to deliver a Jeep. Kudos, TVS, Kochi!!

Sudarshan, I think most of the jeeps are still driven down to showrooms down South. Very possible that this can happen.
Most Mahindra Jeeps like Bolero , Thar, etc are driven to the respective showrooms all over India from Nashik. My friend bought a Bolero here in Kolkata and it was driven to the showroom with about 1500 kms already on the odo.
Old 27th September 2012, 12:02   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Besides chauffeur driven public, to drive around, one must know how to drive.
Dear Pratheesh - small correction. One must first know how to sit in the driver's seat, then figure out how to drive. . Please SMS me your "new" contact details.

Dear Sudarshan - the only way to prevent "shita bharne" ("taking seats" in Marathi) is to transport the vehicles by car carriers. There is no other way to prevent this malpractice!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 12:28   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquecon6199 View Post
Got the front differential converted after lots of running around
Did you change to the Bolero (57") Track. I have been seriously contemplating this as the originial turning radius is pathetic. I tried to adjust the steering stopper bolts, but the dampers started to touch the caliper bolts. Overall very poor design by Mahindra. But since I didn't want to do any invasive surgery on a new Thar, I ended up puttting spacers to bring the track to about 55 inches. The alloys are very light and spacers heavy but over all the weight on the wheel is only slightly more than OEM still rims with NDMS tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
That explains why mine got delivered like this: (From TVS Cochin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Wow! That's a nice way to deliver a Jeep. Kudos, TVS, Kochi!!

Sudarshan, I think most of the jeeps are still driven down to showrooms down South. Very possible that this can happen.
TVS basically killed Fiat in Kerala. They are from from the historic days when you had a 1 year wait list for an Ambassador car or CJ500 jeep. It is hard for them to change their attitude to the current environment. Unfortunately, keralites are stuck with TVS for Mahindra products. Thankfully the only vehicles, I will buy from Mahindra going forward is the Thar and Bolero Pick up so, I am okay with "old mahindra jeep style customer service".
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 13:13   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the front differential converted after lots of running around
hope you changed the brake lines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
...These are carrying passengers...
OT
What were you expecting? The Mahindra yard just outside hosur has nearly all its vehicles driven from north like this. Of course the drivers make a extra 5-7K per trip like this. I have seen vehicles covered in Paan-spit, puke, scratches, broken glass, cracked indicators, etc etc!

PS - Only the more expensive "passenger car division" vehicles like bolero, scorpio, thar crde, XUV500, quanto, verito, etc if any get delivered in Trucks! This Thar-DI is a commercial vehicle so gets driven down!

PPS - Do you know why convoy drivers live mini-buses, school buses, etc
Old 27th September 2012, 20:32   #66

Note from Team-bhp support: Post deleted. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members. Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread!

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th September 2012 at 12:05. Reason: See note in post.
Old 28th September 2012, 07:37   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ya i did put 57'' bolero diffs ,turning radius now is superb,ans steering is as good as PS.main reason for conversion is 44-9 crown ,waiting for rear diff of bolero with right side orientation once that comes vehicle will get ready.
44/9 crown/pinon ratio can be done on original diffs as well, but 57" track gives you much more stability and fantastic turning radius which is a boon off-road and on -road.

No model of Bolero/Pick up etc with the 53" rear track comes with right side diff orientation. The only vehicle with the right side diff orientation comes from the Army NGCS 550 or the Mahindra Legend. This rear axle is full floating with 53" track and right oriented diff case. What I did in my earlier jeep was to take a regular left offset Bolero axle and swap the tubes. This can be done at a good lathe that repairs lorry axles/differentials.

In a new Thar, I don't have the heart to do a lot of these mods, so I just stuck with spacers since it is reversible easily by just removing the spacers.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 10:16   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
44/9 crown/pinon ratio can be done on original diffs as well, but 57" track gives you much more stability and fantastic turning radius which is a boon off-road and on -road.

No model of Bolero/Pick up etc with the 53" rear track comes with right side diff orientation. The only vehicle with the right side diff orientation comes from the Army NGCS 550 or the Mahindra Legend. This rear axle is full floating with 53" track and right oriented diff case. What I did in my earlier jeep was to take a regular left offset Bolero axle and swap the tubes. This can be done at a good lathe that repairs lorry axles/differentials.

In a new Thar, I don't have the heart to do a lot of these mods, so I just stuck with spacers since it is reversible easily by just removing the spacers.
i am waiting for my differential to arrive i think it is from army ngcs .will post pics once it arrives.ya tried a lot in aftermarket but could not source a right oriented differential with 53'' track .

Note from Team-bhp support: Please post in proper english with appropriate punctuation and grammar.

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th September 2012 at 12:06. Reason: See note in post.
Old 28th September 2012, 18:12   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post

Q 1 ) Are we buying pre run Jeeps , btw this is not a new practice ,I have been seeing this from ages , but what I feel wrong here is that its been still carried out in modern times .
Specially the ones being sold down south, the vehicles must be delivered after the first free service.

Quote:
My Dad ( Answering ) : we want to buy 'THIS ' Jeep , thats why we are taking pics , dont worry
Lol !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Pratheesh - small correction. One must first know how to sit in the driver's seat, then figure out how to drive. .
Yes Sir, you are absolutely right.

Quote:
Please SMS me your "new" contact details.
PM sent. Will call you at a suitable time.

Spike
Old 5th October 2012, 21:53   #70
BHPian

Re: My First New Jeep - The Mahindra Thar DI Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Adding some more pics. Please not that I am not showing off my vehicle, but Thar DI 4x4 is a rare animal and just adding pics for the benefit of people who live in BSIV cities who do not have access to info on Thar DI 4x4.
Please clarify my one doubt.
Is it the correct position of steering? I mean with front tires in straight position?
The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-thardi-026.jpg

When any vehicle’s front wheels are straight position, the steering should be like this.
The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-lg_dashboard.jpg
Old 5th October 2012, 22:38   #71
AWD
BHPian

@(Alok): Think its in tyres straight position. I know this because I've seen Steerings in Mahindra jeeps are never precise.
Old 5th October 2012, 22:56   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My First New Jeep - The Mahindra Thar DI Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
When any vehicle’s front wheels are straight position, the steering should be like this.
Attachment 996185
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
I know this because I've seen Steerings in Mahindra jeeps are never precise.
Pic #2 is more correct.

@AWD, the position can be adjusted. You could have it any way you want it, but most people it is easier if the steering wheel is aligned to point forward- a sub-conscious awareness of alignment of the steering wheel with the direction of the vehicle.
Old 6th October 2012, 10:02   #73
BHPian

The second picture position is most suitable.

Notice how the view of the instrument cluster is obstructed in the first picture.
Old 6th October 2012, 12:50   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Please clarify my one doubt.
Is it the correct position of steering? I mean with front tires in straight position?
Tyres are turned. The normal position is as in the second pic from the brochure/mahindra website. Just noticed that they have poorly photoshopped the floor carpet like it is fully carpeted. See difference with original pic.
Old 6th October 2012, 15:58   #75
Senior - BHPian

2nd pic is correct in the northern hemisphere. In Australia the first pic is correct from the autumnal equinox until the end of the regular NBA season.

Actually, if you drive with your hands placed at the "ten minutes after ten" position, you will find that the spokes per pic #1 get in the way and the wheel is top heavy. I have the same steering wheel in my Invader and I keep it ala pic #2. I also get the buttons on my shirt/jacket sleeves caught in the infernal horn button gap. I have killed 43 pedestrians because of this. The police want me to alter my clothes but I tell them I am a free man in India and I refuse to go buttonless. A man has to stand up and be counted in this world.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 6th October 2012 at 15:59.
DirtyDan is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed