Release Year

Hi,
Can some one tell me in which year mahindra released major

Thanks
Siju
Old 3rd May 2009, 17:45   #302
Senior - BHPian

Newer Major

For 2 years the M&M dealers around me near Dharamsala have told me that the Major is not available for sale in Himachal Pradesh. I was in Moti Nagar, Delhi, last week (Holey blue blazes, Uncle Ned, it was HOT!!!) and that dealer said that I would have no trouble buying a Major from him and getting it registered in H.P.

Who is right/wrong?

It seems that the newer MDI3200tc must be euroIII compliant else Bolero would be suffering a similar fate since it uses the same motor extensively. So why not sell Major universally in India?

Is there LSD available for this thing after market? Rear? Front? Can I change the diff ratios to 4:88s or higher? Does it still have the full floating rear axle or did they mess that up, too? Help!

[A horse, a horse! My kingdom for a horse! -Willy Shakespeare]
Old 3rd May 2009, 18:12   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
For 2 years the M&M dealers around me near Dharamsala have told me that the Major is not available for sale in Himachal Pradesh. I was in Moti Nagar, Delhi, last week (Holey blue blazes, Uncle Ned, it was HOT!!!) and that dealer said that I would have no trouble buying a Major from him and getting it registered in H.P.

Who is right/wrong?

It seems that the newer MDI3200tc must be euroIII compliant else Bolero would be suffering a similar fate since it uses the same motor extensively. So why not sell Major universally in India?

Is there LSD available for this thing after market? Rear? Front? Can I change the diff ratios to 4:88s or higher? Does it still have the full floating rear axle or did they mess that up, too? Help!

[A horse, a horse! My kingdom for a horse! -Willy Shakespeare]
The Major is sold only as BSII as the knobs at mahindra think people living in BSIII cities would not require a soft top 4x4. The BS3 version of the engine may have EGR to control emmisions.

Mahindra offers LSD only on the army 550. The LSD on my 550 is worn out and behaves like an open diff.
The Major has always had a semi floating rear axle, geared towards fuel economy rather than offroad crawling.

The latest majors have an extended front bumper (could be due to some crash requirements) which reduces approach angle, the windscreen is fixed and the fuel tank and exhaust are in the wrong place.
Old 3rd May 2009, 18:55   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
The Major is sold only as BSII as the knobs at mahindra think people living in BSIII cities would not require a soft top 4x4. The BS3 version of the engine may have EGR to control emmisions.

Mahindra offers LSD only on the army 550. The LSD on my 550 is worn out and behaves like an open diff.
The Major has always had a semi floating rear axle, geared towards fuel economy rather than offroad crawling.

The latest majors have an extended front bumper (could be due to some crash requirements) which reduces approach angle, the windscreen is fixed and the fuel tank and exhaust are in the wrong place.
Thanks, a.k. Okay, back to the drawing board. Still, they are selling it in Delhi.
Old 4th May 2009, 01:23   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post

Is there LSD available for this thing after market? Rear? Front? Can I change the diff ratios to 4:88s or higher?
Yes, you can get after market LSDs for this. Arka has installed on his 550 (front and back). You may not want to go to 4.88 for this since this is a low revving engine and your top speed will decline. Better off to go for 4.27 which is what I have done on my MM540 with the Turbo DI engine.
Old 30th June 2009, 12:31   #306
BHPian

Last time when i went to the mahindra showroom here in cochin, they said we can customize the jeep in the factory itself and will be expensive, Is this true?
Old 30th June 2009, 15:11   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
Last time when i went to the mahindra showroom here in cochin, they said we can customize the jeep in the factory itself and will be expensive, Is this true?
Yes mate, this is true and it costs around 1.5Lacs on top of the vehicle cost.

More information here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...not-quite.html
Old 1st July 2009, 06:09   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
Its not simply worth it!!! if you do it yourself it would be much cheaper and moreover the entire amount they charge is all for a cosmetic job and no mechanical upgrade to the vehicle is done!!!
I have some pictures, if you want, I will can upload them,
Plus you can always checkout the thread that Sunny has referred!!!

Last email I received from them was in Dec08 and they quoted 1.95L. Is does not include to and fro transport of the vehicle from your location to Mumbai and time period is approx 2-3 months!!!
Old 1st July 2009, 07:38   #309
Team-BHP Support

The Souvenir concept is absolute rubbish, they just make bling bling modifications for show-off crowd. Not one functional modification is done. If they added winch, lockable rear diff locks, SPoA, AC and lockable cabin for that 1.95L, they would tempt half the regulars on 4x4 section to sign up for it.
Old 1st July 2009, 10:24   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The Souvenir concept is absolute rubbish, they just make bling bling modifications for show-off crowd. Not one functional modification is done. If they added winch, lockable rear diff locks, SPoA, AC and lockable cabin for that 1.95L, they would tempt half the regulars on 4x4 section to sign up for it.

I agree totally.
They should have left the looks the same and had they just done the functional modifications, what samurai has said.
I would have any day bought a brand new M&M Major then go the restoration way!!!
Nothing like piece of mind of driving a new vehicle from the dealers lot fresh off the assembly line!!!
Old 28th October 2009, 16:42   #311
Senior - BHPian

Brand new CL 550 MDI (Major?) pics

Clicked these pics today, never knew that CL 550 is still in production.
This jeep had "turbocharged engine" sticker in it.
Which engine is it powered with? 2523 cc Peugeot MDi design?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Major 4x4 Edit:Now Discontinued-dsc01478.jpg  

Mahindra Major 4x4 Edit:Now Discontinued-dsc01479.jpg  

Mahindra Major 4x4 Edit:Now Discontinued-dsc01480.jpg  

Mahindra Major 4x4 Edit:Now Discontinued-dsc01481.jpg  

Mahindra Major 4x4 Edit:Now Discontinued-dsc01482.jpg  

Mahindra Major 4x4 Edit:Now Discontinued-dsc01483.jpg  

Mahindra Major 4x4 Edit:Now Discontinued-dsc01484.jpg  

Mahindra Major 4x4 Edit:Now Discontinued-dsc01485.jpg  

Mahindra Major 4x4 Edit:Now Discontinued-dsc01486.jpg  

sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2009, 17:05   #312
Senior - BHPian

Thats a beauty!! Yes it is very much under production. This jeep is last of CJ look vehicle produced in the world. Could be of collectors item which can be bought new.

Does 110 kmph efforlessly! HAs MDI TC engine and NGT 520 GB. I have doubts if that is a brog warner manual shift, since it has a straight shift pattern.

Three painful things in this vehicle are-
1. large turning radius
2. No driver legroom and the pedals are extremely highly placed
3. Entry and exit from drivers seat is a pain

Rest of the vehicle is a breeze!

Mods: Can merge this in CL550 Major 4x4 thread

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 28th October 2009 at 17:09.
Old 28th October 2009, 18:50   #313
BHPian

What is the ex-showroom price for it?
Old 29th October 2009, 01:04   #314
BHPian

There are very few cars in the wolrd that I'd trade my Mahindra for. This must be one of them
I wonder if it is available in LHD...

Last edited by JeepMkd : 29th October 2009 at 01:09.
Old 29th October 2009, 01:07   #315
Senior - BHPian

Interesting
I can spot headlight levelling switch in those spartan interiors.

Wish it was made in SWB.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks