Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2009, 12:42   #361
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,

At least you can convince your mechanic to change bits.

The other problem we have encountered is that the mechanic and body shop guys are recycle freaks. We asked for new bushes to be used on all mountings to reduce noise. They claim there is nothing wrong with the 8 year old bush they have taken off the vehicle. Half the time is taken up telling them you do want new bits and peices. You ask them to multi task e.g. send the seats off for re-upholstery and they make out as if you are mad.

Their usual reply is ... "paisa barvaad hunda". ... "Isuzu engine fit karlo...mileage vadiya dinda".

Just think if there was a jeep workshop where they took on say 2 vehicles at a time and concentrated on those two vehicles for 2 weeks. The rebuild process if all the parts are available is not as complex as these mechanics make out. Can the NIOC not setup a magical Jeep workshop ?

Last edited by bigman : 11th March 2009 at 12:44.
Old 12th March 2009, 11:27   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Harjeev,

At least you can convince your mechanic to change bits.
No man I don't have to convince my workshop to change bits.
My cousin and ustadji simply refuse to put old parts if they thinks that they would not last.
This is what I love about the place.
Secondly trust is a very important thing that's needed when restoring a vehicle. There are alot of things that have to be blindly trusted. So if the trust part is not there the fun of the restoration is lost. And trust is something that cannot be bought with money.

Our logic was simple...
Anything like the bush, rubber parts, rubber linings all were changed. These things do not cost much but I think they make a lot of difference in the way the vehicle behaves and handles on road.

The only issue I encountered was that the delay, as I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I will be laughing when I think of the delay a couple of weeks or month from now.
They delay is something which I guess has to go with the restoration and you can't help it and have to just live with it.

On monday evening, when i came to know the jeep will not be delivered I was sad, but after thinking sometime, I thought that some circumstances are totally out of control.
So the moment we decide to live with them, life becomes so much easier.

As they say in Hindi "jildi ka kaam shaitan ka hota hai" and "sabar ka fal mitha hota hai"

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
The silver lining is that all this is giving me much experience and forethought on how and in what way to approach the restoration of my other two jeeps and I will certainly loose my mind if I have to get them restored on this pace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
How would you adapt your approach in order to get things done quicker ? I think whichever workshop you end up using they will work to their own slow pace.
The key is not to adapt a new approach to get things quicker. I think that that's simple impossible. :-)

The key is to simply let go of things as their own pace. Hurrying up does not help and I have learnt this in the past few months.
If I remember correctly initially I was told(by my cousin) that the restoration would take 2-3 months. So now its 14 weeks and not that much of an over-run. It was only my patience that finished earlier.
As I've mentioned earlier, if you get to live with the circumstances, and once we have mastered to do that, life becomes more easier.

Last edited by harjeev : 12th March 2009 at 11:43.
Old 12th March 2009, 12:09   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our logic was simple...
Anything like the bush, rubber parts, rubber linings all were changed. These things do not cost much but I think they make a lot of difference in the way the vehicle behaves and handles on road.
Exactly my point to them. They claim the original bushes are of such high quality, you can't buy anything of comparable quality and that they have a few years left in them.

Which is a bit silly on their part as like you say they are cheap parts to replace and the last thing I want to do is go back to get them changed. If their current work rate is anything to go by it will take a 2 weeks to just get the bushes changed.
Old 12th March 2009, 20:32   #364
Senior - BHPian

HarJeep, What is the position now. We were looking forward to a review of your first drive of the restored monster.

Electrical still an issue?
Old 12th March 2009, 23:08   #365
Senior - BHPian

IronWolf
Actually electrical is the only issue. Other than that I have been told the vehicle is all sorted out. So I am off to the workshop tomorrow early morning. Try to reach there around 10 and see if the electrician turns up. If not then I plan to drive the vehicle down to Mayapuri and reach mayapuri around 1pm and get the electrical sorted out there itself.

So hopefully, fingers crossed I should have the vehicle by the end of the day tomorrow.
Old 12th March 2009, 23:16   #366
Senior - BHPian

Electrics should be pretty easy to do as it is not a very complex vehicle.

I guess we all look forward to the pictures over the next few days. I take it no paint job yet ?

Last edited by bigman : 12th March 2009 at 23:18.
Old 13th March 2009, 00:15   #367
Senior - BHPian

Please click some pictures of the Rubicon replica if possible. I think a few of would like to see how it looks since your last visit.
Old 13th March 2009, 00:30   #368
Senior - BHPian

I would love to take pics of the rubicon.

BTW the paintjob on my jeep is complete, so it only the electrical thats pending now.
Old 13th March 2009, 09:58   #369
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev, so the D-day has finally arrived. Can guess whats going through y'r mind. Waiting to see the pics here by tomorrow.
Old 13th March 2009, 10:28   #370
BHPian

Quote:

BTW the paintjob on my jeep is complete, so it only the electrical thats pending now.
We need to see the photo of the painted Jeep please.
Old 13th March 2009, 10:35   #371
fk7
BHPian

Congrats man,

You must be eagerly waiting to test the off roading capabilities of the MM550 and your off roading skills. We need to see finished product pictures.

Looking forward to your post with detailed pictures.

Firoz
Old 13th March 2009, 12:56   #372
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Buddy,

Awaitng ur Jeep egearly. Boss if you are getting your jeep for the OTR on saturday let me know when u finish, If its okay with you we can meet. Would luv to see your 550.

regds

Amit

Last edited by Tusker4x4 : 13th March 2009 at 13:01.
Old 13th March 2009, 21:17   #373
BHPian

hi harjeev..
heard about your little speed bump on the smooth way to delivery..
how do you now plan to tackle the situation?
Old 13th March 2009, 22:35   #374
Senior - BHPian

Update on the Work done so far

Guys Guys Guys
Something happened today that I dint even expect. And I can do nothing but laugh about it

I think god has a way of testing my patience.
Well I have to sleep early as have to rush for the OTR early tomorrow morning so I will just say this, I towed my jeep to Mayapuri today and will get the rest of the work done there.

Rest I will give a complete report on Sunday.

Last edited by harjeev : 13th March 2009 at 22:36.
Old 14th March 2009, 00:18   #375
Senior - BHPian

Argh so the 550 aint road or OTR worth yet eh?

God has tested your patience, looks like you are passing with flying colors.

Happy OTR

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks