Team-BHP - 1990 M&M Cj340
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   1990 M&M Cj340 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/63255-1990-m-m-cj340-21.html)

Hello dont give us stories without any pictures alright ;) You decided on the color or is that gonna be a surprise?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 2387012)
Hello dont give us stories without any pictures alright ;) You decided on the color or is that gonna be a surprise?

color, no surprise - RED, the OE color.

On the progress... Jaggu, Point 5 is killing me!!!!!:Frustrati

1 street mutt turned a auto turtle and full day was spent on it, not the mutt - that ran away, bugger!! Some @#$@#$ 407 came for a 1-day tinker/full respray job and got on my nerves...

So Mohan and me got down to do some dirty work and save some time in the future. :D

1990 M&M Cj340-img0085a.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-img0086a.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-img0087a.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-img0088a.jpg

9AM today

1990 M&M Cj340-9am1.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-9am2.jpg

2PM today :)

1990 M&M Cj340-2pm1.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-2pm2.jpg

Pink base coat, some rough patches showed up, needs some more putty/paste work!!

1990 M&M Cj340-img0118a.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-img0119a.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-img0120a.jpg

Hi Santhosh, Good progress.. are you serious about the red?

Candy red/old school fire engine red?

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronWolf (Post 2396319)
Hi Santhosh, Good progress.. are you serious about the red?

Candy red/old school fire engine red?

Yep, want to give the jeep the color it came from the assembly line, if not the OE grill :D No turning back after the pink base coat now!!

My painter was talking about a german red, I am OK with shade, as long as it is not close to Marutis red, I like the Hyundai red more, what is that called?

Hi Santosh,
My 2 cents. Consider this red. It may look good on your jeep
1990 M&M Cj340-660861_46_full.jpg
Also consider restoring your Jeep like the Bahia. Your Jeep's front grille resembles it a lot:)
1990 M&M Cj340-bahiaredsoft.jpg

@ Santosh I always wonder , who has made that grill of yours . not so good but not so bad to discard either. hmm , made me thinking what prompted someone to design & make it .
BTW , I always liked the deep fire engine Red colour , thats little darker shed , have you thought something like that ?

Anyway the whole project looks promising --it was indeed needed

Sudarshan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudarshan (Post 2402740)
@ Santosh I always wonder , who has made that grill of yours . not so good but not so bad to discard either. hmm , made me thinking what prompted someone to design & make it .

AFAIK, that's an OE grill used mainly for export versions at that time.

Are the photos decieving me or what,how did you get so much of clearance between body and chassis,considering your tyres are'nt very tall? :D

Andy

PS: After completion of my 540 restoration,would be starting with 340 shortly. Will be bugging you enough,please keep your phone switched on at all unearthly hours! please:

If you don't mind,would you please ask your mechanic on
1. Complete paint job quote
2. Separating body and chassis and painting of chassis and underbody and replacement of body bushes and putting everything back together? How much?

Andy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudarshan (Post 2402740)
BTW , I always liked the deep fire engine Red colour , thats little darker shed , have you thought something like that? Anyway the whole project looks promising --it was indeed needed

Yep, needed very badly. BTW, the red I chose is called Massey Red.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl (Post 2402792)
AFAIK, that's an OE grill used mainly for export versions at that time.

You will get to see it hopefully soon, I just cant say if its O.E OR sourced by someone from dubai (Jeep was a KL Regn at 1 point in time)...

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhkris (Post 2402561)
Consider this red.

Too late :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grace (Post 2402936)
Are the photos decieving me or what,how did you get so much of clearance between body and chassis,considering your tyres are'nt very tall?

I think its the leafs, need recambering or un-cambering... I just came from long to OE shackles, so all 4 are in different cambers!!

Quote:

Will be bugging you enough,please keep your phone switched on at all unearthly hours!
np, you got my #, so fire away...

Quote:

If you don't mind,would you please ask your mechanic on
1. Complete paint job quote
2. Separating body and chassis and painting of chassis and underbody and replacement of body bushes and putting everything back together? How much?
Paint job depends on color, let me give you my breakup.

Tinkers Bill - 6000Rs (Includes removal of body, fenders, bonnet and grill, radiator, body bedding's from chassis. Does NOT include electrical removal/refitting, that will be another 1000 max if you plan to reuse existing wiring, else discard the old harness and get a new one... My jeep had its fair share of tinker job because it was rotten. Let me tell you this is NOT a complete tinkers job, it is more of a patch work and not as expert/clean as the coorg example of samurai or any of the hyd guyz.

Painters bill - 6000Rs. rubbing down chassis to metal, prime it with red oxide, cover it with black paint, under tub covering with black, metal paste work (bondo), tub interior with hammer-ton paint (so called rust protection), engine bay covered in black, putty where ever needed, at least 2 base coats and 2 final coats - all cheap material used for metal paste, putty!! Paint is ASPA, you can get your own material if you want DuPont and likes... Of course final work includes rubbing polishing with some cheap wax.

Some pics from a BAD cell cam inside a Dark shed, wait for better pics, this happened today morning. Final coat is completed.

-----------------------

1990 M&M Cj340-img0145a.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-img0146a.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-img0147a.jpg

BD has spoken about your grill in this thread itself:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1429539

and also discussed here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1425496

Yes Doc, if it is true, then I am happy, but the sheet metal quality and welding finesse is faar from OE spec, thats why I am suspecting till today.

-------Edit------

Just realized the name of the red shade is from Massey Ferguson tractor red -- MASSEY RED :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 2403289)
Yes Doc, if it is true, then I am happy, but the sheet metal quality and welding finesse is faar from OE spec, thats why I am suspecting till today.

Actually it's not OE but a replica according to him and then he explained some interheadlight distance in totality. I was wrong about it being OE, it's a copy of the OE grill that was on MM export models to France and also seen on the wranglers.

52 days later...

The final spray of paint was completed. It was a pretty tiring exercise. I am sure not more than 7 days of work was involved!!

I will post some pics tomm. Next on agenda is re-fitting the old wiring, it worked fine, just need to get a new fuse box and lots of fuses. Get the jeep in starting condition and do a little fabrication/welding exercise on fitting the maruti 800 seats.