Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2009, 09:36   #31
BHPian

@JeepMkd: Most of the mechanical parts are still available for the CJ3B off the shelf brand new. Here are a few pictures of the Cylinder Liners and Pistons that I bought for the build. Will post pictures of Engine Valves and Original Federal Mogul Bigends that I was able to get my hands on ( Thanks to the generosity of my spares vendor).
Attached Thumbnails
Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06332.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06333.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06334.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06337.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06331.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06335.jpg  

Old 4th September 2009, 12:37   #32
BHPian

So in all thats a new set of sleaves, new pistons, new valves, new alternator, new starter, and new battery for now. Hmm. after this I hope we have a bone stock reliable machine.

I am dying to see the engine rebuild/assembly tomorow. I am taking the day off to spend the entire day at the workshop to understand and appriciate what goes into this crucial process.

With regards to the color I could use some help here. I want to steer clear of the Army colors (read olive green). However do not want anything flashy. Do let me know what you think.

Two out of the 5 options belong to fellow bhpians.
Attached Thumbnails
Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-1.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-2.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-3-.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-3-b.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-4.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-5.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Torque-ative : 4th September 2009 at 12:42.
Old 4th September 2009, 20:32   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

The 2nd option/color combination looks elegant,stunning and unique.

Last edited by theMAG : 4th September 2009 at 20:38.
Old 6th September 2009, 16:36   #34
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The 2nd option/color combination looks elegant,stunning and unique.
+1.

The colour is superb. The rest are quite boring.
Old 6th September 2009, 16:45   #35
BHPian

2nd pic looks good with the combination..but how will it look in real life
Old 7th September 2009, 09:54   #36
BHPian

Hi Naveen

I vote for the 2nd colour as well. It will look very orignal on the jeep.

cheers
Ankit
Old 7th September 2009, 13:08   #37
BHPian

Frenzy,..thats what I call the pace we are at !!

Hey Guys,

I am surprised at the rate at which we are progressing. The block and all its bits are awaiting assembly (did not take up the block on saturday as the painter was leaving town on 15th). So the body and chassis got our undivided attention. I will allow Jasvinder to post the details on when, what, where!.

On the topic of the color. This is a military jeep and I want to keep it this way "without breaking the law" . Hence the second color option was ruled out.

So what we have decided is on a civilian color option with all the military fitments and the closest color which came to achieveing this was the one below. Hence the body tub, the chassis the diffs, even the wheels are all going to be the same shade. It is going to turn out as follows. The color will be a Shade of Stone Grey in gloss finish. Matt was another option but I saw some jeeps with matt and they attract grime like no-once business and is harder to remove stains.
Attached Thumbnails
Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-3-b.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-3-.jpg  

Old 7th September 2009, 14:01   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
On the topic of the color. This is a military jeep and I want to keep it this way "without breaking the law" . Hence the second color option was ruled out.

So what we have decided is on a civilian color option with all the military fitments and the closest color which came to achieveing this was the one below. Hence the body tub, the chassis the diffs, even the wheels are all going to be the same shade. It is going to turn out as follows. The color will be a Shade of Stone Grey in gloss finish. Matt was another option but I saw some jeeps with matt and they attract grime like no-once business and is harder to remove stains.
Why the 2nd colour option (light grey) illegal? Is military using light grey as well?
Old 7th September 2009, 15:07   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Why the 2nd colour option (light grey) illegal? Is military using light grey as well?

Nope,..what I meant is that the second color option is that of a Civilian jeep, and i would like it to be as close as possible to the military jeep without stepping on the other side of the law.
Old 7th September 2009, 15:38   #40
Senior - BHPian

Great colour choice. I had mentioned in my thread that if and when i have another jeep, this will be the colour. I would suggest a matt finish as this colour may not look too good in gloss.

This colour rocks!!
Old 7th September 2009, 16:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

Good progress is going on.The work done seems of a good standard.

Off Topic-How much would a mahindra CJ3B with 4x4 petrol cost in mayapuri market ?
Old 7th September 2009, 23:06   #42
BHPian

Resurrection: Update 4 (Body Tub & Frame)

We have been able to make some steady progress on the work being carried out on Naveen's 3B. De-denting of the body tub has been finished. It has received a coat of Body filler to cover up the remaining imperfections. Followed by sanding, priming and applying a coat of Surfacer on the outside. The inside of the body tub was worked upon on Saturday. The owner of the Jeep has been kind enough to lend us a helping hand with the build. Naveen infact was at the workshop all day long, Working on the Jeep himself. Love your enthusiasm Naveen !! Infact I also got to learn about some details regarding the anomalies that can ruin a good paint job. Thanks for the insight buddy.

The inside of the body tub was primed after we all sanded it to remove as much rust as possible. On Sunday the tub's inside was coated with a rubber based sealant to cover all the joints, nooks and corners in order to ensure a long rust free service. The underbody also received a good scrub followed by a coat of metal primer and rubber sealant each.

The Chassis frame is getting detailed attention as rust has been building up in all the joint and corners. As these areas are difficult to reach, we are using all possible tools(Metal Scrapes, wire brush, sand paper and the a metal wire brush attached to an angle grinder) at our disposal to clean it up. The last one( Angle Grinder) strips the frame to its bare but is very big to cover all the places. So it is going to be a long tedious process, but it sure will ensure the longevity of the vehicle.

Kandisa (Soumen) also dropped by at the workshop in the evening. It always a feast to have a look at his awesome machine. Naveen also had a little spin in it.

Following pictures show the progress made on the body tub and chassis frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06366.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06365.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06367.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06368.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06370.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06399.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06401.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06402.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06369.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06363.jpg  

Old 7th September 2009, 23:15   #43
BHPian

Resurrection: Update 4 (Mechanicals)

On the mechanical front we have been able to complete the cleaning process of the leaf spring sets. As they had lot of rust formation we dismantled them, scrapped them with metal scrappers and packed them back after lubricating them. The front and rear wheel assemblies have been dismantled. Infact it was amazing to see that none of the wheel Assy had any brake parts inside apart from the wheel cylinders attached to them. The rear differential was opened up for examination. It is in good running condition and has been cleaned up for repacking.

The leaf springs were being put back to the frame along with brand new sets of shackle assemblies and suspension bushings when I left the workshop in the evening today. I also went shopping in the morning, picked up a lot of different stuff for the Jeep. Here are some of the pictures that I clicked today, including a collage of all the stuff that I bought for the Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06362.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06361.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06364.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06388.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06391.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06389.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06397.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06392.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06380.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06385.jpg  

Old 8th September 2009, 12:08   #44
BHPian

Jasvinder Dude,...what would I do without you man. I mean it in all earnest.
My only gripe is not being able to spend more time in the work-shop I can't wait for the weekend.

General Singh saheb deserves a commendation for the dedication he has in painstakingly putting back these jeeps together. He is a jewel and I hope you dont let him outta your sight.

I have had everyone at NIOC tell me that the secret to this rapid progress is all due to going to the right place at the right stage of the build. In fact I think this is going to be a record of sorts (of more significance as we are restoring it to its original best).

How on earth you landed the original jeep decades old, Made in USA Federal Mogul engine bearings still dumbfounds me !!

Last edited by Torque-ative : 8th September 2009 at 12:16. Reason: typo
Old 8th September 2009, 16:20   #45
BHPian

Hey buddy did you decide on the colour ?

In my opinion the 2nd option would look good.

Just a school boy question, dis you sand balst the chasis & then paint it or was itrubbed & then painted ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks