Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 21:45   #61
BHPian

Resurrection :Update 7

This update has been long due. I was not able to write it up partly due to bad health plus I also got occupied with some other things. So here is a brief account of what all has been done during this period. The mechanicals have been almost completed. The brakes are functional now, thanks to a brand new overhauling kit installed in the original master cylinder, some new brake lines and brake fluid. The gearbox was cleaned up thoroughly inside-out . As there were no major signs of wear and tear or excessive play in the gears, a new packing kit and some anabond sealing agent was all that it required to complete the job. The engine has been assembled back. Just for a reminder it now runs on Standard size pistons. Most of the critical components have been replaced with new quality replacement parts. The Distributor was also in a very bad state and was thoroughly cleaned up. We have replaced the old Point, Condenser and the metal plates on which both of these are mounted. A new Rotor was also bought as it was missing. A brand new set of Spark plugs, plug wires and ignition coil was also bought because of the obvious reason (most of these were missing from the vehicle). Also replaced was the mechanical fuel pump, as kit for repairing the old pump was not readily available. It took Jarnail Singhji about 2 days to work his magic on the motor. He diligently placed and tightened each and every part together to ensure that the job was done perfectly. The engine was started for the first time on Saturday. It was amazing to see and hear the beast breathing life again.

The Chassis frame has also received a coat of paint and is awaiting the final assembly. The work on the body tub and other parts was held up because of Eid celebrations. So it was another excuse for my painter to flee to his home town. He is being eagerly awaited to return and complete the work. I took some pictures during the engine assembly process. Here they are:
Attached Thumbnails
Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06456.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06458.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06468.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06469.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06470.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06461.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06462.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06464.jpg  

Old 29th September 2009, 22:24   #62

Its nice to see the jeep grow from a junkyard to almost a roadworthy one. Keep up the good work. When is it likely to be ready?
Old 29th September 2009, 22:41   #63
BHPian

Jasvinder,
Good progress bro.
When I see your pics I feel like I am there in your garage.
Say my hello to Mamaji.Tell him I will be back soon for another adventure.
Cheers
Shibu
Old 29th September 2009, 22:41   #64
BHPian

@ sadashivpeth: To be optimistic I hope to complete it before Diwali. Keeping my fingers crossed.....

@Jeepcaptain: It was nice to have you over here in India Shibu. I bet you had one hell of an adventure this time also. Hats off to your courage buddy. Hoping to see you around really soon. Please do send more details about the trip. Mamaji sure would be waiting for another one.

Last edited by diesel_maniac : 29th September 2009 at 22:45.
Old 30th September 2009, 01:51   #65
BHPian

Good pictures Jas,

Is the engine going to be painted then? Some real hard work seems to have gone in there.
keep us posted with pictures whenever you can.

Cheers
Old 30th September 2009, 02:00   #66
BHPian

diesel_maniac, what parts are available directly from Mahindra? You told me that the parts you're using are brand new, and I've seen that they're made by Mahindra. I'm not interested in engine components because I don't use the original one. If brake and transmission parts are available from Mahindra I might arrange something with the importer for Mahindra here in Macedonia.
Old 30th September 2009, 07:58   #67
BHPian

@Allana: Yes Allana, the engine and transmission have been painted. I could not click the pictures yesterday as I forgot to take my camera along. Both of these components are of the same color as the chassis frame. Will post some pictures today.

@Jeepmkd
: Transmission and Transfer case parts are available with Mahindra Spare Parts Stockists and Dealers in various parts in India. I don't know if Mahindra still Manufactures or source them, since production of CJ3B was discontinued after late 1990's. Brake parts like the Wheels Cylinders, Brake Shoe Assemblies, Master Cylinder Assembly are also available. One can also source Overhauling or service kits for wheel and master cylinders in case they are repairable. Same goes for the brake shoes, we generally buy and replace the brake lining only. So if you need anything in specific, do send me a PM and I shall try to get the information about parts you need.
Old 30th September 2009, 14:28   #68
BHPian

Jasvinder,
After talking to Harjeev and you last week, i could'nt stop myself and purchased an old army disposal 3B from yamuna nagar. attaching snaps.

Regards,
atul singh
Attached Thumbnails
Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-jeep3.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-jeep2.jpg  

Old 30th September 2009, 14:35   #69
BHPian

Folks, what are the standard tyres that we have grown up seeing fitted on 3B's and 500D's. The ones with alternate pattern like a tractor rear tyre. Any special name for it?

Regards,
atul singh
Old 30th September 2009, 15:23   #70
BHPian

Jasvinder, bro check this out. Show this to mamaji aswell.

Its was great meeting you all.

Guys its mamaji, Soumen (Kandisa) ,Jasvinder (deisel_maniac) and myself and my King in the pic. It was pouring in Delhi that day.

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-delhi-cochin-gypsy-010.jpg

cheers
JC
Old 30th September 2009, 15:35   #71
BHPian

Congratulations !!

@Atul Singh: Congrats for buying the Jeep. You finally fulfilled your dream of owning a Jeep. The Jeep also seems to be in good condition. Please most some more pictures of it. Specially the engine bay and the under carriage area. The tyres that you have mentioned here are known as Non Directional Mud and Snow Tyres or NDMS in short. These used to be standard fitment on almost all military vehicles Jeeps and trucks alike. Although Sand Grips are preffered these days. This tread pattern is still available in the market and sold by MRF mostly. Due to its unique tread pattern it is preferred by off-roaders like us for SWB jeeps.

@JC: Hey thanks bro for sharing the picture with us. Yeap it was raining cats and dogs during those days in and around Delhi. It was good to have you over too, Hoping to see you around soon.

Last edited by diesel_maniac : 30th September 2009 at 15:37.
Old 2nd October 2009, 19:18   #72
BHPian

The engine pics as you asked for

Regards,
atul
Attached Thumbnails
Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-jeep-details-041.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-jeep-details-042.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-jeep-details-043.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-jeep-details-047.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-jeep-details-063.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-lansdowne-may-2009-trip-114.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-lansdowne-may-2009-trip-113.jpg  

Old 2nd October 2009, 19:32   #73
BHPian

a photo of a mahindra SWB which i had kept in my family album since 1989.

atul
Attached Thumbnails
Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-jeep-details-073.jpg  

Old 3rd October 2009, 02:57   #74
BHPian

Thanks for the pictures,

Cant wait to see the start of the restoration pictures
Old 3rd October 2009, 10:42   #75
BHPian

Thanks for the Pictures Atul. The sure need lot of work, but I am sure it will teurn out to be an excellent specimen. So what are the plans about the Engine and Transmission? Finalised something or still weighing the options?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks