Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 12:49   #241
BHPian

Hello Nishanth,

I have followed you thread every day. I have to say this is one of the very neat restorations I have seem while retaining originality of the beast . Where did the restoration done ?

QQ: Was your Jeep parked near/infront of the SBI ATM/Shukra TVS on the Kanakpura road before restoration on a few occasions.
Old 14th May 2010, 15:01   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R.Boruwa View Post
Hello Nishanth,

I have followed you thread every day. I have to say this is one of the very neat restorations I have seem while retaining originality of the beast . Where did the restoration done ?

QQ: Was your Jeep parked near/infront of the SBI ATM/Shukra TVS on the Kanakpura road before restoration on a few occasions.
Thanks,

The restoration was done at SLV motors in banashankari 2nd stage , bangalore.

Yes you might have seen the jeep there in kanakapura road. the jeep at present is with my cousin and he lives nearby.

Cheers

Nishanth
Old 15th May 2010, 01:09   #243
Senior - BHPian

Super coool Jeep!!

Nishant that a super coool jeep man! I have fallen in love with it. simple, rugged, macho feel. good selection of paint, well matched wheels and most impressive is the excellent top, seat and interior works. Even the manufacturer will feel shy. You must be enjoying her fully. Don't mind if I can input some ideas. How about a snorkel and a custome made bumper with some lamps it would add up to the machoness!

Thanks

Bala
Old 18th May 2010, 07:20   #244
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post
Thanks lugnut

TCO still under calculation. After the rebuild very busy with many other works. Will try and finish it soon and post it up.

Cheers

Nishanth

Hi Nishant ,is the TCO still being calculated

give us the split up of painting and top seats tinkering ect
Old 19th May 2010, 12:56   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks,

Yes you might have seen the jeep there in kanakapura road. the jeep at present is with my cousin and he lives nearby.

Cheers

Nishanth

At that time, I was thinking of contacting the owner and enquiring about the vehicle and also if he plans to sell it .. I would love to checkout the Jeep in flesh at your convenience.
Old 19th May 2010, 15:42   #246
Senior - BHPian

Nishanth,

your jeep does look awesome and neat! Kudos to you for the eye for detail.

I really like the colour and the tyres offset. What alloys/rims are the tyres on?
Old 12th July 2010, 17:11   #247
BHPian

This probably is one of the best restorations that i have seen till date. Congratulations to you and i salute your vision for making the machine what it is today. I have added your thread as my bookmark and will be following your footsteps when I get my own army jeep for restoration which currently I am searching. Thanks for a great exhaustive thread giving all the details.
Old 5th September 2010, 22:49   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some Pictures of the Jeep after the fitting of soft top and after completing other minor works in PHASE 1.

Cheers

Nishanth
Your Jeep looks amazing.. The wheel arch looks awesome.. can you please tell me which model of Mahindra has this wheel arch.. even I am looking for same..
Old 8th September 2010, 18:09   #249
BHPian

Hi hgnishanth,

Congratulations, your Jeep has come out very well. More then anything, it has helped me solving one of my puzzle. I have got myself a Jeery can of 20 ltrs from Mayapuri but was not able to figure out the right place to Install it. Now looking at your picture, I know where i shall install mine. Sorry I shall copy your way.

One Question: Is the door able to handle the weight of Filled Jerry Can.

Old 8th September 2010, 19:31   #250
Senior - BHPian

Wow Nishanth,

A very fast pace indeed to build the jeep from scratch. You've got a good support system in place.

Your Jeep was definitely a looker at this years TPC.

So did the total cross 4? AWESOME!! One of the best looking jeeps on the forum.
Old 13th June 2011, 08:10   #251
BHPian

Re: It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMP

Hi Nishanth,

read the entire thread in one go. superb restoration, your Jeep looks fantastic. do share the recent updates. 5* from my side.

if you could share the overall costings, thanks.

Pranav
Old 16th October 2012, 15:26   #252
BHPian

Re: It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMP

Quote:
Thanks,

Cheers

Nishanth
Please accept my apologies for bumping an old thread. Your Jeep is a looker! No two ways about it!
Please let me know whether there are any more Army disposal MM-550s available with the guy from whom you bought.

PS: I now know a place to restore a Jeep to its glory, in Bangalore!
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:52   #253

Re: It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE

Brilliant restoration work!!! I am looking forward to restore an army disposal vehicle, are there any garages in Pune which are good at restoration without fleecing the customer?

Last edited by bblost : 2nd January 2018 at 12:02. Reason: typo
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:47   #254
BHPian

This road trip was done in July 2010 while I was working with HDFC Bank at Cherthala -my hometown. I took two days leave and boarded a KSRTC bus to Coimbatore from Cochin.

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-img_1678.jpg

On my way to Coimbatore to attend Romit's wedding reception, I saw this Mahindra 4WD 550. Then I saw Rexy standing next to 550, a friend from college days who used to participate in bike races in and around Kerala with this Suzuki Shogun and Yamaha RX135. I couldn't help jumping off from the KSRTC bus at the next speed breaker and join Rexy to Chennai. He was on his to Chennai to bring another custom built 550 for Indian Army which was auctioned later to scrap dealers at Chennai.

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-img_1675.jpg

My plan was to get down at Coimbatore but I fell in love with this 4WD and continued to Chennai. On the way to Coimbatore we had to stop at a workshop to change the canvas inside the wheel cup since the front wheels were wobbling too much. Well prepared for this, Rexy had all the tools and spares for any kind of breakdown, including two spare wheels, foot pump, two hydraulic jacks, bearings, belts etc...a mini workshop and spare parts shop for a jeep.

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-img_1704.jpg

I reached Coimbatore at 10pm to attend my friend's wedding, pretty late even for the last round of dinner. After a while we continued our journey to Chennai. After another 100km, both Rexy and Nasar were tired and they slept for a while parking on the roadside near a toll plaza. I took shelter under a truck while there was a light shower. We reached Chennai next day morning 10am and went straight to the scrap dealer's yard.

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-img_1691.jpg

Numerous vehicles from Army at this yard amused me. Shaktiman trucks, Suzuki Gypsy, Mahindra Jeep, Armada - you name any off road vehicle, you will find at least one here. These vechicles come with 98B XXX registration numbers for army. 10 years or later these vechicles will be auctioned as scrap. The dealer will get them to his yard and get an RC book in his name, pay road tax, get insurance etc.

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-img_1687.jpg

Rexy and similar automobile crazy guys will come to this yard and pick one or two vehicles at a price. Later this Jeep or Gypsy will be repaired and repainted with a new life and roll the wheels on road or an estate where 4WD is essential. We started fixing the four wheels so that we can tow the jeep back to Cochin, 700 km. We changed the bearings, lubricated the rolling parts and ensured there is enough air in the tires. Everything seemed fine and relaxing, by evening we retired from the yard unwinding after a night out on NationalHighway. Get charged and start our journey at 8am on sunday. That is what we planned for next day.

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-img_1699.jpg

Sunday morning- after a high calorie berakfast, we were all set to start our 700km towing trip. Both were wedlocked using an A-shaped connecting rod and bolted using U-shaped clamps. The jeep behind our jeep will turn and break as we steer and stop the one in front. Driving is not as easy as driving a single jeep since there will be force to either sides or forward when I take a turn or apply brakes.

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-img_1705.jpg

When we are about to reach Krishnagiri, we found that left front tire is wearing out than normal and the tire surface was abnormally hot. The root cause was not identified so we tried a different configuration for the tires keeping another tire at the left front. We tried inter-changing tires from one side to another.

We continued with the new configuration towards Salem. It was found that the new tire is completely worn out in less than 20km! It was clear the tire will not last our next 500+ km. We tried a brand new tire which is expected to run 20000km and tried our luck. It was 10pm and travelled another 150km and reached Bhavani, half asleep.

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-img_1693.jpg

The tire was 80% worn out and it would not last another 400km to Cochin from Bhavani. After parking the jeep on the roadside, searching for another tire did not go bad. Tata 207 tire which should be lasting at least 500km was found at Erode. 30hours are over since we started from Chennai and still more than half the distance to go. I got my mobile battery charged from a nearby shop and kept updating Facebook about my trip with pictures.

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-img_1709.jpg

Fiinally after various diagnosis and trial and error methods, Rexy found that the driving shafts were jammed at the left front side which was a hindrance for the tire to freely rotate at the turns. It was fixed in 5 minutes with a hammer! We lost 24hours and two tires already!! Anyhow, enjoying the slight drizzle and the cool weather, we drove on NH47 towards Coimbatore. By 2am we reached Chalakudy and Angamaly where the workshop was just 10km away. I parted my way with the army jeep and took a KSRTC bus to Cherthala and reached home at 4am. No air conditioner but that was the coolest trip I ever did on road. No mobile car charger - but we were fully charged throughout.

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-img_1707.jpg

Perseverance is the key in this mission-completed in 4 days and costing a few tires!!
Romins is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 00:55   #255
BHPian

Re: It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE

Attachment 929488

Numerous vehicles from Army at this yard amused me. Shaktiman trucks, Suzuki Gypsy, Mahindra Jeep, Armada - you name any off road vehicle, you will find at least one here. These vechicles come with 98B XXX registration numbers for army. 10 years or later these vechicles will be auctioned as scrap. The dealer will get them to his yard and get an RC book in his name, pay road tax, get insurance etc.

Attachment 1820840

Can you please share the contact and location of the Scrapyard. Planning to pick-up one :-) and try to becomes a Jeeper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks