Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2010, 12:26   #106
Senior - BHPian

Great work!!!!! dont know how i missed this thread.
Old 9th February 2010, 12:27   #107
Senior - BHPian

+ and - marking in leaf springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Thanks for the pic spike. I think now all underslung axles except major more with bump stop on axles rather than on chassis.

Further there is no LH side additional bump stop on any 4wd vehicle. Why on RH side only still remains the question?

Yes the upper portion of the channel section is resting on the balatta packing the lower portion is on the regular rubber beds. Will post pics soon

please educate about + and - sign on leaf springs will be interesting to know.

p.s- BTW That was a nice articulation on thar rear axle! I feel that there is still some reserve articulation left.
Vinod,

Eagle eyes i must say. The + and - sign indicates high free camber and low free camber respectively, these are marked by the manufacturer so that springs with same camber are paired during assembly, this is the ONLY reason for that marking. Balatta packing is preferred only for high load applications, like cargo of pick ups. Hope that clarifies.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 9th February 2010 at 12:29.
Old 10th February 2010, 01:46   #108
BHPian

Nishant, what have you planned for the top?
Old 10th February 2010, 16:34   #109
BANNED

You got the rims on already? I cant wait to see those mounted on the Jeep.
Old 10th February 2010, 22:45   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Nishanth,

My Jeep in the current form has the same material. Is it somelike like a DRY Bubblegum? My mechanic calls is dry thar (road laying stuff), one more calls it Putty, I am confused! They say its for Anti-Rusting Treatment and it is difficult to Take it off for future Re-builds/Re-Painting. They say it has to be burnt with a gas-torch and melted away, hence the quote for my rebuild is way too high and I am not inclined to get it done now.
Santosh,

Your jeep has got a rubber like material but the one I have applied now, i.e. Pitch. It is not the same. My jeep when I had got it had the same rubber like anti-rust allover the floor at the back, front and over the wheel arches. And I, like a fool, got the ones on the back and the ones over the wheel arches removed thinking i'll just apply primer and then paint. (See pic below) Its only later i realized its importance. But for the back it was already too late, at least for the front i still have the original army rubber like anti rust protection.

Yeh the rubber like anti rust is very expensive. After realizing its importance i did enquire how much it would cost to put similar material onthe back and on the wheel arches and I was quoted something like 6k

So I looked around for options and my mechanic told me about 'Pitch' . he has an old yellow Morris standing in his garage and it had pitch in its underbody he showed me that and it looked decent and it is not expensive.

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-anti-rust.jpg

Quote:
I need a Help. Can you post a pic of the box/container that 'pitch' came in. I would like to know the manufacturer, price, quantities available, et all.

I want to research more on it, its properties and if it is necessary for my Jeep's future. If not, I may pass it and just repaint the interior over metal+putty.

thx in Advance...
Santosh
I think it is Rs 200/ltr. Sorry dont have pics of the can etc. Once you apply that you can get a coat of paint on that too,only thing is that it takesvery long time to dry up. I think up to 4-5 days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
Nishanth,

Your jeep is coming out very well, love the color.

Regards,
Krishna.
Thanks a lot Krishna. Where are you now a days, did not see you in the last bangalore OTR. So did you change your jeep's tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Great work!!!!! dont know how i missed this thread.
Thanks Kaushik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Nishant, what have you planned for the top?
Vijay in double minds still. Either i leave it open for now and get the roll cage done next time i come back and get the soft top done as per the roll cage or i get the soft top done now and get the roll cage done at a much later stage! Still dont know.

Cheers
Nishanth
Old 10th February 2010, 23:26   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You got the rims on already? I cant wait to see those mounted on the Jeep.
No buddy I still dont have my new tires and rims on. Its because of the below reason. Beleive me even i am waiting to have a look at my jeep with the new shoes on

My right side knuckle arm (king pin housing assembly) had lost threas in some bolt holes so i had to procure new one. But till date i am unable to find an original piece. So had to substitute it with a local one. but only later, that is about 10 days back i noticed the right wheel has come out about 1.5 inches more than the left wheel!!! Observe the Diff the 1st and 2nd Pics.

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p2040759.jpg

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p2040758.jpg

Initially i just thought it was just the alignment but on closer investigation over a period of days i realized that it was the local knuckle arm on the left side that is the problem it is about an inch longer in breadth compared to the original right one! the other 0.5 inches may be due to alignment.

Check out the most Visible difference in length in both the left (original green one) and the right (red local one)knuckle arms.

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-left-knuckle-arm.jpg

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-right-knuckle-arm.jpg

From last few days i have been on the hunt for an original right knuckle arm all over Bangalore! even requested Harjeev to look for one in Delhi! I have it on order in India garage too. lets see when i'll get it. If i dont get it by the time the Jeep is ready then i will put on the new ones and then get the wheel alignment done and if all ok with the alignment then use it.

Cheers

Nishanth
Old 10th February 2010, 23:56   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post
No buddy I still dont have my new tires and rims on. Its because of the below reason. Beleive me even i am waiting to have a look at my jeep with the new shoes on

My right side knuckle arm (king pin housing assembly) had lost threas in some bolt holes so i had to procure new one. But till date i am unable to find an original piece. So had to substitute it with a local one. but only later, that is about 10 days back i noticed the right wheel has come out about 1.5 inches more than the left wheel!!! Observe the Diff the 1st and 2nd Pics.

Attachment 285593

Attachment 285594

Initially i just thought it was just the alignment but on closer investigation over a period of days i realized that it was the local knuckle arm on the left side that is the problem it is about an inch longer in breadth compared to the original right one! the other 0.5 inches may be due to alignment.

Check out the most Visible difference in length in both the left (original green one) and the right (red local one)knuckle arms.

Attachment 285598

Attachment 285599

From last few days i have been on the hunt for an original right knuckle arm all over Bangalore! even requested Harjeev to look for one in Delhi! I have it on order in India garage too. lets see when i'll get it. If i dont get it by the time the Jeep is ready then i will put on the new ones and then get the wheel alignment done and if all ok with the alignment then use it.

Cheers

Nishanth
Have you considerd taking it to a lathe machine and getting it re-threaded? I had the same problem and got is done this way and it worked out just fine
Old 11th February 2010, 00:04   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
Have you considerd taking it to a lathe machine and getting it re-threaded? I had the same problem and got is done this way and it worked out just fine
Yes David, Though I did not do it my mechanic did find out from the lathe guy but in my case it could not be done as the distance between the kingpin hole and the bolt hole was very less, so the lathe guy i believe told it count be re-threaded!

But on second thoughts, if yours was re-threaded, i am thinking the distance between the bolt and kingpin holes should be same in both your and my case. So I am thinking of taking it to some other lathe guy and ask for a second opinion and see if it can be done!

Thanks man

Cheers
Nishanth
Old 11th February 2010, 00:56   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Attaching a few pics of rear axle with bump stop, this comes as standard in all underslung boleros,
Quote:
Thanks for the pic spike. I think now all underslung axles except major more with bump stop on axles rather than on chassis.
Yeh even the 550 has rear axle bump stops on both RH and LH side. Few pics below.
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p2090765.jpg

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-09022010349.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Vinod,

although i am not sure but i think the bump stop is provided in the RHS because the pumpkin is offset (136 mm if i am correct)to the right, your logic is correct "why not in the LHS?"

Quote:
Further there is no LH side additional bump stop on any 4wd vehicle. Why on RH side only still remains the question?
Spike

I am no expert and dont have much knowledge about this, but this is just a layman's thoughts, could you clarify..

The bump stop on the front is for restricting the upward movement of the front spring plates right? Now the differential or "Pumkin" is offset to the right of the center line. So when the right side axle/housing goes up during articulation the left side comes down, and vice versa. But since the differential is offset to the right the front housing/axle will be more heavier on the right side. So the additional weight on the right side should aid the downward movement of the housing/axle on the right side and the upward movement on the left side and vice versa right? So if at all the bump stop is to be provided only on one side, (for whatever reason) would it not make more sense to give it on the LH side rather on the RH side? Of course it would be best if it is given on both the sides.

I may be completely wrong here but thought of clarifying.

cheers

Nishanth
Old 11th February 2010, 01:22   #115
BHPian

Quote:

Vijay in double minds still. Either i leave it open for now and get the roll cage done next time i come back and get the soft top done as per the roll cage or i get the soft top done now and get the roll cage done at a much later stage! Still dont know.
Roll cage is not really necessary for a 540 nishant. i would suggest keep the top as stock and dont leave it open. You may be using it daily. once you are addicted to that high seating position in city driving, you will forget the car. I know you will get addicted to it. Plan the mods in such a way that you can use it daily and not just for OTRs. For RTO formalities you should have top.
Old 11th February 2010, 06:35   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Yes David, Though I did not do it my mechanic did find out from the lathe guy but in my case it could not be done as the distance between the kingpin hole and the bolt hole was very less, so the lathe guy i believe told it count be re-threaded!

But on second thoughts, if yours was re-threaded, i am thinking the distance between the bolt and kingpin holes should be same in both your and my case. So I am thinking of taking it to some other lathe guy and ask for a second opinion and see if it can be done!

Thanks man

Cheers
Nishanth
I had the same problem in both the knuckles , my mec also got the left knuckle replaced but the fit was different so we decided to get the re threading done as the original one was not available in bombay.
Almost 6 rethreadings were done. so take it yourself to a well known lathe guy and chk for yourself
Old 11th February 2010, 11:15   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From last few days i have been on the hunt for an original right knuckle arm all over Bangalore! even requested Harjeev to look for one in Delhi!,...
Nishant,

(Thx a lot for the Pitch Info)

Regd Knuckle, I have a idea. (ONLY IF there is a long waiting period for OEM) .... Why dont you but a 2nd Local Knuckle to match the extra 1inch offset on the right side. That way both the sides the wheels will be correctly a inch outside the body.

Of course, later when you manage to get a OEM knuckle replace both Local Knuckle's and sell them off in Shivaji Nagar. That way, you will at least be happy to start driving the jeep soon.

Santosh
Old 11th February 2010, 12:26   #118
BHPian

Nishanth,
Just a suggestion, Why dont you get the bonnet cut for the snorkel right now before the final coat.
I remember getting the pitch thing done for the tub and to be honest, i didnt like it. Its chipping out at places and i can see the rust there.

can you PM me the place where its getting ready would like to visit this weekend.

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 12th February 2010, 06:39   #119
BHPian

Awesome Nishanth.
Checking this thread after a looonnggg time. Jeeps' coming out really well.
Would love to come over the weekend. How about a small TEA-BHP meet there?

I had to meet vijay swastik to give him the cap (the one autographed by Behram sir).
Old 12th February 2010, 09:12   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Roll cage is not really necessary for a 540 nishant. i would suggest keep the top as stock and dont leave it open. You may be using it daily. once you are addicted to that high seating position in city driving, you will forget the car. I know you will get addicted to it. Plan the mods in such a way that you can use it daily and not just for OTRs. For RTO formalities you should have top.
Yeh Vijay, For the RTO purpose i am planning on using Roshan's Soft top. About roll cage well i agree it might not be required, but for me it is something i always wanted. Ever since i started dreaming about owning a jeep.. emm well it was always a jeep with a roll cage . Yes I do plan to use to use it as a daily drive too and I will be getting a soft top done but i was just thinking that after i get the roll cage done i shall get the soft top done as per the roll cage. If i get the soft top done now as per original cage it might be wasted after few months when i'll have to get a new soft top. So was thinking of leaving it open or do a soft top myself as a temp. solution for few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
I had the same problem in both the knuckles , my mec also got the left knuckle replaced but the fit was different so we decided to get the re threading done as the original one was not available in bombay.
Almost 6 rethreadings were done. so take it yourself to a well known lathe guy and chk for yourself
Thanks David

Yes I did check with a couple of lathe guys and guess what my old knucke arm is ready Thanks man. in my case though he has not re-threaded it but he has put a stud through the holes and king pin bearing cap will be tightened with nuts from above. Its still not fitted though. Shall post pics soon.

Quote:
Nishant,

(Thx a lot for the Pitch Info)

Regd Knuckle, I have a idea. (ONLY IF there is a long waiting period for OEM) .... Why dont you but a 2nd Local Knuckle to match the extra 1inch offset on the right side. That way both the sides the wheels will be correctly a inch outside the body.

Of course, later when you manage to get a OEM knuckle replace both Local Knuckle's and sell them off in Shivaji Nagar. That way, you will at least be happy to start driving the jeep soon.

Santosh
Thanks Santosh

yeh idea did come to me also but now there is no need for it as i've told above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
Nishanth,
Just a suggestion, Why dont you get the bonnet cut for the snorkel right now before the final coat.
I remember getting the pitch thing done for the tub and to be honest, i didnt like it. Its chipping out at places and i can see the rust there.

can you PM me the place where its getting ready would like to visit this weekend.

Regards,
Krishna.
Krishna

You are most welcome buddy. I have PM'ed you my no. Give me a call and we shall co ordinate.

About the snorkel yeh i could have done it but i am not as i will have some works pending to be done in a few months which involves welding and cutting so i will get it done then and get the paint repaired. I know it is not the best option but for me now constrained by time so cant afford any delays because of anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Awesome Nishanth.
Checking this thread after a looonnggg time. Jeeps' coming out really well.
Would love to come over the weekend. How about a small TEA-BHP meet there?

I had to meet vijay swastik to give him the cap (the one autographed by Behram sir).
Hey Akaash

Good to hear from you. Its a great idea. Krishna is also planning to come by on the weekend, roshan would be there too so the TEA-BHP meet sounds good to me. I have PM'ed you my no too. give me a ring and we can co ordinate.

Cheers

Nishanth

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks