Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2010, 15:47   #91
Senior - BHPian

@Nishanth actually i was referring to the curved portion only which you got fabricated, the support shown by you in the above pic is a standard feature on all 540/550s as the support rod for mounting the canopy is fixed on 2 M6x1.0 proj. welded nuts provided on both sides, have you fabricated anything similar in the centre portion as well? Your fabricator has done a good job, it has come out pretty clean. This is one reason why i asked if it was a factory fitted part.

Spike
Old 7th February 2010, 15:55   #92
BHPian

A query for the Jeep gurus. Can anyone please clear my below doubts.

Query 1:
What is this? Is it a "Leaf spring stopper"?
Why is it only on the front right of the jeep, why not on the front left?
Is it because the front differential is on the right side?
What is its use?
Does it not limit articulation?

I have observed this on my cousins MM540 too. It is there on the same place and only on the right side.

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1290757.jpg

Query 2:
Below are two different types of body bedding bushes. 1st one (the one in green) is from my jeep and the second is from my cousin's. Wanted to know what types are these both? Is there any particular advantage or disadvantage of both types? Asking this to know if it is required to change my jeeps body bedding bushes.

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1300809.jpg
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1300812.jpg

Thanks Guys
Cheers
Nishanth
Old 7th February 2010, 16:00   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@Nishanth actually i was referring to the curved portion only which you got fabricated, the support shown by you in the above pic is a standard feature on all 540/550s as the support rod for mounting the canopy is fixed on 2 M6x1.0 proj. welded nuts provided on both sides, have you fabricated anything similar in the centre portion as well? Your fabricator has done a good job, it has come out pretty clean. This is one reason why i asked if it was a factory fitted part.

Spike
ohh, ok. Well i dont have anything fabricated for the center, but to avoid the soft top from sagging i will have the rod which comes as standard in the center. I mean center, from side to side.

Cheers

Nishanth
Old 7th February 2010, 16:06   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Query 1:
What is this? Is it a "Leaf spring stopper"?
Why is it only on the front right of the jeep, why not on the front left?
Is it because the front differential is on the right side?
What is its use?
Does it not limit articulation?
Yes it is because of the differential you find it on RH side. Technical name is "Bump Stopper" Under heavy articulation it will limit the upward movements of your suspension, hence saving your differential and Shock absorber perch (Otherwise your perch can't handle the load) i have it on Both sides i think.

I have observed this on my cousins MM540 too. It is there on the same place and only on the right side.

Quote:
Query 2:
Below are two different types of body bedding bushes. 1st one (the one in green) is from my jeep and the second is from my cousin's. Wanted to know what types are these both? Is there any particular advantage or disadvantage of both types? Asking this to know if it is required to change my jeeps body bedding bushes.
Yours is the OE Bushes, which has a steel tube going thru that, you don't have to change it unless the rubber is cracked

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 7th February 2010, 16:15   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Query 2:
Is your cousins Jeep a CJ3 type model? They used to have that rubber canvas. I think the 550 uses rubber mounts/bush like the ones you have. No point replacing them with the canvas rubber ones. Also if mechanics have nothing else available may use that rubber canvas as a substitute for the proper rubber bush.

I was told not to change the ones on my 550 as they were in good condition and the ones available in the market were said to be of poor quality compared to them. If you can source some good quality ones then change them, otherwise no point as the poor quality ones will only last a short time before you begin to get vibration/friction noise as they fail.

Last edited by bigman : 7th February 2010 at 16:17.
Old 7th February 2010, 16:18   #96
Senior - BHPian

Insulators

@Nishanth adding to what sreerajunnithan has said, the manufacturer provides bump stops to be on the safer side under heavy articulation conditions, you can see these in the rear axles also,one such person who did this many years back is a member in this forum (hope you got him), your second query- the first pic shows a body mounting insulator and the second one is called a Balatta packing, the main function of both of these is the same "vibration isolation" however balatta packing is a low cost application generally used in pickups (check Bolero Maxxi Truck pickup) for body mountings and fuel tank mounting. Also the rubber insulators have a sleeve which passes through them, it keeps the bolt (bolt is usually M10x1.5) concentric with the hole and acts as a "guide" . hope this clarifies,

Spike

OT- i can't see the no. punching in the chassis, where is it punched?

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 7th February 2010 at 16:20. Reason: left few words
Old 7th February 2010, 18:25   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Yes it is because of the differential you find it on RH side. Technical name is "Bump Stopper" Under heavy articulation it will limit the upward movements of your suspension, hence saving your differential and Shock absorber perch (Otherwise your perch can't handle the load) i have it on Both sides i think.
Yours is the OE Bushes, which has a steel tube going thru that, you don't have to change it unless the rubber is cracked

Thanks
--Sree--
Thanks Shree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Is your cousins Jeep a CJ3 type model? They used to have that rubber canvas. I think the 550 uses rubber mounts/bush like the ones you have. No point replacing them with the canvas rubber ones. Also if mechanics have nothing else available may use that rubber canvas as a substitute for the proper rubber bush.

I was told not to change the ones on my 550 as they were in good condition and the ones available in the market were said to be of poor quality compared to them. If you can source some good quality ones then change them, otherwise no point as the poor quality ones will only last a short time before you begin to get vibration/friction noise as they fail.
No my cousin has a MM540.
Yes even i was told the same thing that the new ones now are of not that good quality. So for the time being i think i shall keep the original bushes.

Quote:
@Nishanth adding to what sreerajunnithan has said, the manufacturer provides bump stops to be on the safer side under heavy articulation conditions, you can see these in the rear axles also,one such person who did this many years back is a member in this forum (hope you got him), your second query- the first pic shows a body mounting insulator and the second one is called a Balatta packing, the main function of both of these is the same "vibration isolation" however balatta packing is a low cost application generally used in pickups (check Bolero Maxxi Truck pickup) for body mountings and fuel tank mounting. Also the rubber insulators have a sleeve which passes through them, it keeps the bolt (bolt is usually M10x1.5) concentric with the hole and acts as a "guide" . hope this clarifies,

Spike

OT- i can't see the no. punching in the chassis, where is it punched?
Thanks Spike

The chassis no is punched on the extreme front right.

Cheers
Nishanth
Old 7th February 2010, 18:54   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

@Nishanth, the jeep is coming up VERY nice. Love the color and the detailing that you are doing. So when is it getting ready to rock & roll?
Old 8th February 2010, 11:24   #99
Senior - BHPian

@Nishnath,

Have you painted the Interior Black? Any particular Reason?
Old 8th February 2010, 12:28   #100
Senior - BHPian

RH front bump stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR;1720536=
Hey spike the query is why is that the additional bump stop is on RH side on 4wd vehicles only and not in LH side?

Additional bump stop on rear axles like front one pictured (circled)- Iam clueless! I dont think any M&M came with them.

My body mounts on 540 have of combination of there two, the lower portion are rubber insulator and the upper part is ballata packing. The rear most near K member have balatta packing all through. Hope this combination is fine.

@Nishanth- Iam silenly observing your restoration and iam glad it is coming out very well!

P.S- My vehicle originally was a 2wd converted to 4wd. So i dont have that RH bump stop. even after some gruesome OTR's the system is working fine and so does on arka's MM540. Wonder why were those conceptualised in first place?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th February 2010 at 12:35.
Old 8th February 2010, 22:01   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
@Nishanth, the jeep is coming up VERY nice. Love the color and the detailing that you are doing. So when is it getting ready to rock & roll?
Thanks Shahnawaz. Thinking making the color a shade darker to look more like Khakhi rather than Yellow khakhi or Sand Khakhi. Should be ready for regn. this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
@Nishnath,

Have you painted the Interior Black? Any particular Reason?
Hi Santosh

No the Interiors are not painted black. It is just anti rust 'Pitch'. Will be painting a coat of body color on top of it. the finishing of the interior paint will not be that good because of the 'Pitch' but then again i figured most of it is gonna be covered by mats/seats/cusions anyway right! so the paint quality in the interior shount matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hey spike the query is why is that the additional bump stop is on RH side on 4wd vehicles only and not in LH side?

Additional bump stop on rear axles like front one pictured (circled)- Iam clueless! I dont think any M&M came with them.

@Nishanth- Iam silenly observing your restoration and iam glad it is coming out very well!
Hi Vinod

Thanks man, it was nice meeting you in the OTR.

Update 08 Feb

The electrician has sorted out all the wires got them taped and it is ready to go into the jeep.

Got new windshield and Lumax clear lens head lamps for the Jeep today.

The windshield and body side handles has been fitted back. the body has been rubbed again with sandpaper.

The door and bonnet setting has been done.

Pics to come in the next few days with the new updates.

Cheers

Nishanth
Old 8th February 2010, 22:27   #102
Senior - BHPian

Vinod,

although i am not sure but i think the bump stop is provided in the RHS because the pumpkin is offset (136 mm if i am correct)to the right, your logic is correct "why not in the LHS?", IIRC someone in the forum was mentioning that his vehicle has bump stops on both sides,if yes please post photos of the same. also can you post photos of your body mounts?, is the upper portion with the channel section resting on the balatta packing? Attaching a few pics of rear axle with bump stop, this comes as standard in all underslung boleros, just have a look. Just for information there is a bump stop provided inside the shock absorbers also.

Spike

OT- Guys do you know why a + and - mark is marked on the leaf springs by the manufacturer?
Attached Thumbnails
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-070720093896.jpg  

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-070720093897.jpg  

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 8th February 2010 at 22:41. Reason: left few points
Old 9th February 2010, 11:16   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post
No the Interiors are not painted black. It is just anti rust 'Pitch'.
Nishanth,

My Jeep in the current form has the same material. Is it somelike like a DRY Bubblegum? My mechanic calls is dry thar (road laying stuff), one more calls it Putty, I am confused! They say its for Anti-Rusting Treatment and it is difficult to Take it off for future Re-builds/Re-Painting. They say it has to be burnt with a gas-torch and melted away, hence the quote for my rebuild is way too high and I am not inclined to get it done now.

I somehow feel, its the same like 3M underbody-antirust treatment for cars, albeit less expensive.

I need a Help. Can you post a pic of the box/container that 'pitch' came in. I would like to know the manufacturer, price, quantities available, et all.

I want to research more on it, its properties and if it is necessary for my Jeep's future. If not, I may pass it and just repaint the interior over metal+putty.

thx in Advance...
Santosh

Last edited by svsantosh : 9th February 2010 at 11:18.
Old 9th February 2010, 11:52   #104
BHPian

Nishanth,

Your jeep is coming out very well, love the color.

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 9th February 2010, 12:02   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vinod,

although i am not sure but i think the bump stop is provided in the RHS because the pumpkin is offset (136 mm if i am correct)to the right, your logic is correct "why not in the LHS?", IIRC someone in the forum was mentioning that his vehicle has bump stops on both sides,if yes please post photos of the same. also can you post photos of your body mounts?, is the upper portion with the channel section resting on the balatta packing? Attaching a few pics of rear axle with bump stop, this comes as standard in all underslung boleros, just have a look. Just for information there is a bump stop provided inside the shock absorbers also.

Spike

OT- Guys do you know why a + and - mark is marked on the leaf springs by the manufacturer?
Thanks for the pic spike. I think now all underslung axles except major more with bump stop on axles rather than on chassis.

Further there is no LH side additional bump stop on any 4wd vehicle. Why on RH side only still remains the question?

Yes the upper portion of the channel section is resting on the balatta packing the lower portion is on the regular rubber beds. Will post pics soon

please educate about + and - sign on leaf springs will be interesting to know.

p.s- BTW That was a nice articulation on thar rear axle! I feel that there is still some reserve articulation left.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 9th February 2010 at 12:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks