Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2010, 19:15   #46
Senior - BHPian

The wheels look great Nishanth!!
Regarding the engine paint I remember reading somewhere that there's some special paint that one uses to paint the engine, some kind of a paint which does not wear off with the head produced by the engine.
Anyone have any idea what this paint is???
Old 22nd January 2010, 20:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev you are right. should use an engine enamel. They are usually rated to 160 degrees centigrade. Normal paint will just come off easy.
Old 23rd January 2010, 01:02   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
The wheels look great Nishanth!!
Regarding the engine paint I remember reading somewhere that there's some special paint that one uses to paint the engine, some kind of a paint which does not wear off with the head produced by the engine.
Anyone have any idea what this paint is???
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Harjeev you are right. should use an engine enamel. They are usually rated to 160 degrees centigrade. Normal paint will just come off easy.
En quired about engine painting. But as per my mechanic it is not of much use and even if we had to paint it, as per him I should have got it done before the engine was assembled.

Experts, looking fwd to the comments on advantages and disadvantages of painting the engine with engine enamel

cheers
Nishanth
Old 23rd January 2010, 01:09   #49
Senior - BHPian

If its not been painted then don't worry about it. unless you are into engine bay detailing.
Old 27th January 2010, 00:03   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post
Thanks David. NO I have not got my paperwork done yet. and to be honest still don't have an idea as to how it works. Planning on getting it registered once restoration is complete. I will let you know.

How is your jeep coming along? Was you jeep regestered in punjab before?
My jeep is in the paint shop will be done by this weekend ....
No i have not got it regestered as yet will have to do it in punjab only and then here
Old 27th January 2010, 02:30   #51
BHPian

Nishant, the rims are tooo good! what tires have you decided?
Old 27th January 2010, 09:34   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
If its not been painted then don't worry about it. unless you are into engine bay detailing.
Thanks Bigman.. I am leaving the engine as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
My jeep is in the paint shop will be done by this weekend ....
No i have not got it regestered as yet will have to do it in punjab only and then here
David, if it is not yet registered anywhere yet, Are you sure you have to do it in punjab before? cant you get it done directly in Mumbai? If i am not mistaken i think you can get it done directly in Mumbai but of course ive also heard that the RTO in Punjab is more lenient in registering army vehicles compared to rest of India..

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Nishant, the rims are tooo good! what tires have you decided?
Thanks Vijay..
Thinking of going in for Yoko Geos.. 31x10.5 / 15. Actually i wanted 30x9.5 / 15 but was unable to find it anywhere. The size exists as ive seen it in yoko geos brochure but very very difficult to get hold of.

Update on 27 Jan

The jeep without the engine has gone into the paint bay and a base coat of the body color has been sprayed. Putty application work on top of the base coat is in progress.

Cheers

Nishanth
Old 27th January 2010, 11:41   #53
BANNED

No point in getting the engine painted. By the way what color is the Jeep going to sport? The garage looks pretty efficient by the way they are working.
So, how much have you spent so far on the vehicle and what is your future estimate till completion?
Old 27th January 2010, 11:53   #54
BANNED

Awesome report with WIP pictures. Looking forward to the final product. You have taste.
Old 27th January 2010, 18:10   #55
BHPian

Great work !

Nishant,
Great work, love the detailing you have done with Pictures and about the components.. hooked on to this thread
Regds
Abhi
Old 28th January 2010, 08:25   #56

Nishant,

I am really glued to your thread and hats-off to the details that you are posting. It is giving a lot of details for the learners like me.

Thanks a lot.
Old 28th January 2010, 15:24   #57
BHPian

Congrats, good looking Jeep. One question.... The pintle hook at the rear. Is that a original pintle hook for a MM550.
Old 28th January 2010, 20:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hey Nishanth,

Nice to meet you at the offroad meet last weekend. I loved the choice of wheels.

Really huge, I would think that 33" R15s would do more justice to these wheels.

That what was on the Nissan Patrol, but I am sure that would be too big for the 550 side walls.

I see you have not let a single part untouched. All parts being serviced and overhauled.

Waiting for finished product, will take up your offer when free. Will call and come over. All the best with the project.

Daniel
Old 29th January 2010, 08:58   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
No point in getting the engine painted. By the way what color is the Jeep going to sport? The garage looks pretty efficient by the way they are working.
So, how much have you spent so far on the vehicle and what is your future estimate till completion?
Thanks Devdath
Colour of the jeep: Wait for a few more days. once 2 coats of paint are finished and the jeep is assembled back before painting the last 2 coats i shall come out with the jeep colour and pics. I myself dont know how is it gonna look when its all assembled back.
so far spent around 2.7 lacks.. more not sure yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Awesome report with WIP pictures. Looking forward to the final product. You have taste.
Thanks a lot Spitfire.. Will be posting the painting job WIP pics after a few more days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2abhi83 View Post
Nishant,
Great work, love the detailing you have done with Pictures and about the components.. hooked on to this thread
Regds
Abhi
Thanks Abhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginbronco View Post
Nishant,

I am really glued to your thread and hats-off to the details that you are posting. It is giving a lot of details for the learners like me.

Thanks a lot.
Thanks, I too learnt only by going thru the restoration and modification threads of many seniors like Shanawaz, Harjeev, Jeepcaptain, Tarkesh, Randeep, Iron wolf and many more, here on TBHP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewJ View Post
Congrats, good looking Jeep. One question.... The pintle hook at the rear. Is that a original pintle hook for a MM550.
Thanks mathew
Pintle hook?? I am hearing that name for the first time, so i am guessing you mean the big red tow hook right in the center of the rear bumper, on the rear foot rest, right? Well it is the original with the army 550 jeeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Hey Nishanth,

Nice to meet you at the offroad meet last weekend. I loved the choice of wheels.

Really huge, I would think that 33" R15s would do more justice to these wheels.

That what was on the Nissan Patrol, but I am sure that would be too big for the 550 side walls.

I see you have not let a single part untouched. All parts being serviced and overhauled.

Waiting for finished product, will take up your offer when free. Will call and come over. All the best with the project.

Daniel
Hey Dan

Thanks a lot. It was Good to meet you too. At last i can put a face behind the name "Iron Wolf" .
Yeh 33' tires would be too big for 550 wheel wells. so sticking on to 31' for now.
Looking forward to your call/visit.
Nishanth.

Update on 29 jan

The jeep had donned on its 1st coat of new paint.
The shade turned out be not exactly like the one i had in mind, boy these shade cards are real deceiving!
S0 the next coat on wards it shall be a tinge more darker.
Expecting the 2nd coat to take place today and may be tomorrow the jeep will be tilted on 2 wheels and under body and chassis will be painted.

Harjeev was kind enough to make time in his schedule to visit mayapuri last evening/night and has procured for me an almost new pair of Innova front seats, a rear tail gate (New post 2001 model army jeep type, with the hinges on right and opening on left which is strengthened for the weight of the spare tire), front tow hooks, black out lights, some body handle bar and few more spares.
Thanks a lot Harjeev. It was kind and great of you to help me out. Really appreciate it.

Cheers

Nishanth
Old 29th January 2010, 10:12   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post

Thanks, I too learnt only by going thru the restoration and modification threads of many seniors like Shanawaz, Harjeev, Jeepcaptain, Tarkesh, Randeep, Iron wolf and many more, here on TBHP.

Great!! Good work !! But Pls post pics Man.... and I am a newbie here not senior... I am still learning .

Update on 29 jan

The jeep had donned on its 1st coat of new paint.
The shade turned out be not exactly like the one i had in mind, boy these shade cards are real deceiving!
S0 the next coat on wards it shall be a tinge more darker.

Actual shade differs a bit from shade card because of appearance - shade card scale is small and when you apply it actually it looks a bit lighter than expected - 5 Years in Asian Paints Experience

Expecting the 2nd coat to take place today and may be tomorrow the jeep will be tilted on 2 wheels and under body and chassis will be painted.

Harjeev was kind enough to make time in his schedule to visit mayapuri last evening/night and has procured for me an almost new pair of Innova front seats, a rear tail gate (New post 2001 model army jeep type, with the hinges on right and opening on left which is strengthened for the weight of the spare tire), front tow hooks, black out lights, some body handle bar and few more spares.
Thanks a lot Harjeev. It was kind and great of you to help me out. Really appreciate it.

Thats Harjeev !! Hats off to the man with lot of enthu and energy. Very helpful !!

BTW how much you spent on new model rear tail gate , front tow hooks?
Harjeev can you pls get some of the accesories for me too? I know I am expecting a favor again from you but If you can pls let me know, I ll send an email to you with pics because I dont know exactly names of these accesories.

Cheers

Tarkesh

Last edited by Ricky_3007 : 29th January 2010 at 10:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks