Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2010, 19:47   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post
Thanks David

Yes I did check with a couple of lathe guys and guess what my old knucke arm is ready Thanks man. in my case though he has not re-threaded it but he has put a stud through the holes and king pin bearing cap will be tightened with nuts from above. Its still not fitted though. Shall post pics soon.

Nishanth
cool man keep eveything as original as you can...
Old 12th February 2010, 22:15   #122
BHPian

Knucke arm pictures

Quote:
Thanks David

Yes I did check with a couple of lathe guys and guess what my old knucke arm is ready Thanks man. in my case though he has not re-threaded it but he has put a stud through the holes and king pin bearing cap will be tightened with nuts from above. Its still not fitted though. Shall post pics soon.

Cheers

Nishanth
Here are few pics of the Right knuckle arm fixed with studs and nuts

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p2120804.jpg

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p2120806.jpg

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p2120807.jpg
Old 12th February 2010, 23:17   #123
BHPian

Congrats Nishanth & your jeep is really coming very very well. The work has gone at a very very good pace & i say faster then i could have thought. I just read the whole thread at one & go & am addicted to it now.
I am a newbie to offroading & had to choose between Thar / MM540/50 however for now I am waiting for Thar to come. If it is not up to our expectation then certainly taking your thread as insipiration I will be inclined to do the same.

Not to forget you combo of tyre & rims is awsome.
Old 13th February 2010, 07:45   #124
BHPian

Updates

Guys,

The Jeep is near completion now in Phase 1.
Pending works which will be done this time, in Phase 1, before registration are Right knuckle arm to be replaced with the original one, glass, beadings, body fittings, Front Innova seats, Rear seat covers and Electrical works.
After finishing these works i'll get the jeep registered and then it will be time for me to join back my duty.
Works still to be done in the 2nd Phase
-Roll cage
-Front facing back seats
-Changing the rear tail gate to new army type.
-front bull bar
-Additional lights
-Fixing the Jerry can holder and jerry can in the rear

Works done since last few days.

-Both front differential and rear LSD drained of oil, opened up, flushed with Diesel, thoroughly cleaned packing changed.
-Front Differential oil changed Castrol grade 140
-Rear LSD oil changed to Shell Spirax 90
-Gearbox oil changed to Castrol grade 140
-Steering oil changed to Castrol grade 140
-Front Differential, Rear LSD and Gearbox breather pipe and cap changed. All 3 breather pipes are modefied such that the rear LSD breather pipe now sits right at the top of the rear wheel arch and the front diff and gear box/transfer case breather pipe now sits right next to the brake boosterpump under the bonnet.
-Windshield glass fixed back
-Interior painted with finishing coat of body color.
-Yesterday the final coating the complete exterior was finished
-Right knuckle arm repaired, yet to be fitted back.
-Bumpers painting of black and few accessories painting is pending.

Now the pictures.

My front differential breather pipe was missing and there was just a hole in the front diff. This is the old glow plug of the Indica which is cut and used!
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1220692.jpg

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1220693.jpg

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1220694.jpg

Changed Breather pipes and caps

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p2110800.jpg

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p2090752.jpg

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p2090751.jpg

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p2110797.jpg

Gear box oil being changed

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-09022010338.jpg

Front Differential when opened up. Look at the color of the old oil and the 'Kachara' which came out of the front diff.

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-09022010354.jpg

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-09022010355.jpg

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-09022010356.jpg

The front Diff after cleaning

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-09022010365.jpg

Rear LSD when opened up. The only visible difference I saw between the front open Diff and the rear LSD when opened was this. (Marked in first 3 pics) Is this the clutch plate of the LSD?

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p2090763.jpg

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-09022010339.jpg

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-09022010341.jpg

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-09022010344.jpg

More WIP pics to follow

Cheers

Nishanth
hgnishanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2010, 08:56   #125
Senior - BHPian

Great going

@Nishanth- have you checked the backlashes/bearing preloads when the axle was opened up? Also the packaging of the breather pipe looks clean

Spike
Old 13th February 2010, 18:01   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Nishanth - front breather pipes must be separate for transmission and transfer case. Also the plastic pipe you have used tends to kink. Be careful. Use rubber pipes. Rear breather pipe end location is not good. There is a lot of dust in the wheel arch. Please change it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2010, 18:49   #127
BANNED

Quote:
Guys,

The Jeep is near completion now in Phase 1.
Pending works which will be done this time, in Phase 1, before registration are Right knuckle arm to be replaced with the original one, glass, beadings, body fittings, Front Innova seats, Rear seat covers and Electrical works.
After finishing these works i'll get the jeep registered and then it will be time for me to join back my duty.

Nishanth

Hi Nishant,

How much did the innova seats cost? guess it must be 2nd hand ones
Old 14th February 2010, 00:12   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@Nishanth- have you checked the backlashes/bearing preloads when the axle was opened up? Also the packaging of the breather pipe looks clean

Spike
Thanks Spike,

Ok now Firstly I am confused. Like i'd said i am still learning but as far as i know We had opened up the Differentials to change the packing and you have mentioned opening up the axle! 'Confused!'

Secondly "backlashes/bearing preloads" Again honestly i have no clue what that is! Sorry buddy care to enlighten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Nishanth - front breather pipes must be separate for transmission and transfer case. Also the plastic pipe you have used tends to kink. Be careful. Use rubber pipes. Rear breather pipe end location is not good. There is a lot of dust in the wheel arch. Please change it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Berham Sir,

Thank you for your valuable comments. I will change the breather pipes to the rubber hose pipe and also change the place of the rear diff. breather pipe end. One doubt though sir, you mentioned front breather pipes must be separate for transmission and transfer case But sir I have got it done as it was originally when i got it from the army. Please refer to my original, before changing the breather pipe picture of the transmission area. If you see even originally they had a common pipe for both transmission and transfer case. Was this not the original design sir? May be the army guys changed it for whatever reason. Still if you recommend for both to be separate pipes i shall get it changed sir. Thank you.

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi Nishant,

How much did the innova seats cost? guess it must be 2nd hand ones
Hi

Yes these are 2nd hand seats costed me 10k. Harjeev was kind enough to procure it for me and send it to me across. They are yet to reach me though.

Cheers

Nishanth
Old 14th February 2010, 00:40   #129
BHPian

Quote:

Hi

Yes these are 2nd hand seats costed me 10k. Harjeev was kind enough to procure it for me and send it to me across. They are yet to reach me though.

Cheers

Nishanth
10k is a good deal here in bombay for inova seats i was quoted 22k i almost fell of the seat while trying them out
Old 14th February 2010, 00:42   #130
Senior - BHPian

Backlash/preloads

@Nishanth- axle consists of differential carrier/housing, axle tubes, wheel ends (drum and backplate assembly), if you say you opened up the axle which among this did you open up? from your photos it is clear that it was the differential, which happens to be a "sub-assmbly part" of axle. What is backlash?- any mating gears/teeths should have a defined amount of contact for smooth and troublefree operation, if not this will lead to a phenomena called "whine", What is Bearing preload?- As per design there is a specified amount of play that is allowed for bearing with its surrounding part, if this play is less this will lead to overheating of the bearing and premature failure, also if the clearance is more this may lead to uneven wear of the bearings, hence it is set to defined values (for prolonged life) using bearing preload shims (probably this is the packing that you are referring to), usually setting the preload correctly makes the backlash within specified limits. In technical terms this preload setting is done for B10 or L90 life. I will post more details with pics shortly.As a matter of fact the backlash for gears must be checked first before overhauling any axle. Hope that clarifies.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 14th February 2010 at 00:43.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2010, 00:48   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram sir would it be possible to post a pic of the stock set up of these pipes for the transmission and t case.
Also what is the stock possision for the rear breather pipes.

Nishant thanks to your thread i have got a hell of lot of information for here. Thanks. Will call you tomorrow
Old 14th February 2010, 09:56   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
10k is a good deal here in bombay for inova seats i was quoted 22k i almost fell of the seat while trying them out
Haha. Yeh before i asked for Harjeev's help for the seats even I did try and look for them here in Bangalore. they quoted 14to15k for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@Nishanth- axle consists of differential carrier/housing, axle tubes, wheel ends (drum and backplate assembly), if you say you opened up the axle which among this did you open up? from your photos it is clear that it was the differential, which happens to be a "sub-assmbly part" of axle. What is backlash?- any mating gears/teeths should have a defined amount of contact for smooth and troublefree operation, if not this will lead to a phenomena called "whine", What is Bearing preload?- As per design there is a specified amount of play that is allowed for bearing with its surrounding part, if this play is less this will lead to overheating of the bearing and premature failure, also if the clearance is more this may lead to uneven wear of the bearings, hence it is set to defined values (for prolonged life) using bearing preload shims (probably this is the packing that you are referring to), usually setting the preload correctly makes the backlash within specified limits. In technical terms this preload setting is done for B10 or L90 life. I will post more details with pics shortly.As a matter of fact the backlash for gears must be checked first before overhauling any axle. Hope that clarifies.

Spike
Thanks Spike

I understood half of what you tried to explain and the other went over my head Yes I did open up the Differential and nothing else in the whole axle setup. backlash: I am not sure but i guess my mechanic must have checked this. But as far as i could see the teeth of the Diff gears had good contact with each other. Bearing preload: I understood the part about the defined amount of play and excessive gap could lead to wear and tear and too less to over heating. But i dont know what or rather which is bearing preload shims. the packing we changed was just the outer packing of the differential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
Behram sir would it be possible to post a pic of the stock set up of these pipes for the transmission and t case.
Also what is the stock possision for the rear breather pipes.

Nishant thanks to your thread i have got a hell of lot of information for here. Thanks. Will call you tomorrow
You are most welcome David, even i have learnt (and am still learning) whatever i know from TBHP threads itself, reading other previous restorations.

Ref below pic of the rear breather pipe this was taken before relocating it. This is the original place where it was located. As per Berham sir's advice i will get it relocated to this place.

Updates and WIP pics to follow

Cheers

Nishanth

Last edited by hgnishanth : 14th February 2010 at 10:04.
hgnishanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2010, 12:32   #133
Senior - BHPian

Preload and Backlash funda..

The backlash adjustment must be done on the vehicle as it is difficult for spreader (yellow paint) application if the vehicle is not in a pit, even after adjustment, it may be required to adjust the pinion height. Remember any change in backlash indicates wear, hence shim adjustment although will compensate for gear teeth wear, it cannot compensate pinion or pinion bearing wear. The contact patch can be checked by applying paint marks in four different places as shown in pic2, push the vehicle forwards and backwards around 20 feets, this will give an idea of tooth contact under load, tooth contact under load and without load is different, a competent mechanic will know that. Then bearing preload is adjusted through a standard procedure,shims of various thickness and standard tools are available for it. Again, this is a very intricate process and only a skilled mechanic can do it. Hope i am clear now.

Spike

PS- The clearances are usually measured in "Thou" which is specified by the manufacturer in the workshop manuals.
Attached Thumbnails
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-axle1.jpg  

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-axle2.jpg  

SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2010, 14:29   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
Congrats Nishanth & your jeep is really coming very very well. The work has gone at a very very good pace & i say faster then i could have thought. I just read the whole thread at one & go & am addicted to it now.
I am a newbie to offroading & had to choose between Thar / MM540/50 however for now I am waiting for Thar to come. If it is not up to our expectation then certainly taking your thread as insipiration I will be inclined to do the same.

Not to forget you combo of tyre & rims is awsome.
Hey thanks man

Good luck for you wait for the Thar. It is real good Jeep and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Cheers

Nishanth
Old 14th February 2010, 18:32   #135
Senior - BHPian

Nishanth, Very detailed and informative with pictures and commentary! Good show and I am sure your jeep for sure would be an Awesome ONE!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks