Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 10:02   #181
BHPian

Initial additions you might want to consider

1. Front free wheeling hubs (lamda, aisin or warn)
2. Recamber the leafs to 'lift' the gypsy esp the front. The stock vehicle comes with a negative front camber.
3. Replace the air box with a KN filter 'RX 3800'. will not impact pickup by much but will make a tremendous impact in the 5th ie you will actually be able to pull in 5th (something you cannot do now)
4. If you are seriously offroading you should have retained the original headers as you will lose torque with the freeflow headers
5. Replace the Champion Sparks with NGKs
satan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2009, 13:32   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
Initial additions you might want to consider

1. Front free wheeling hubs (lamda, aisin or warn)
2. Recamber the leafs to 'lift' the gypsy esp the front. The stock vehicle comes with a negative front camber.
3. Replace the air box with a KN filter 'RX 3800'. will not impact pickup by much but will make a tremendous impact in the 5th ie you will actually be able to pull in 5th (something you cannot do now)
4. If you are seriously offroading you should have retained the original headers as you will lose torque with the freeflow headers
5. Replace the Champion Sparks with NGKs
I am interested in fitting the K&N filter. Is there a change in sound? How much does it cost? And will it be a problem when passing through water ways.
Old 13th April 2009, 13:53   #183
BHPian

it should cost ~ INR 5,000/-, There will be a muted growl and depending on where you plave the cone, you will definitely have to be careful while driving thru water.
Old 13th April 2009, 14:14   #184
BHPian

Hey Guys

Is it still possible to buy a brand new Gypsy? I heard that from some friends that they still produce it for defense and we can buy one after ordering and waiting for long?
Old 13th April 2009, 18:00   #185
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Team,

Please restrict this thread to Gypsy pictures + relevant discussions only.
There are several existing threads for other Gypsy discussions.
Old 13th April 2009, 22:03   #186
BHPian

Finally a gypsy to call my own!!

From when I could drive, I always wanted a Gypsy, but fate (and parents) conspired otherwise and my dream remained locked in the deepest echelons of my mind for many a years.
Finally my work allowed me to retrive this dream from its catatonic state when my search for an economical delivery vehicle, which could move about 1 - 1.5 tons of load travel about 200 KM's a week (MAX) and not get too heavy on the pocket for maintenance led me to my dream vehicle.
But making this dream a reality nearly proved to be an unattainable illusion when I found out the prices quoted by all the "Gypsy owners" willing to sell (Brokers!!).
In addition to the cost, most people (the smart intelligent breed) informed me that the gypsy had stopped production and that spares were a BIG problem.
But I had the good fortune of meeting some truly knowledgable people at Mandovi Motors who broke this myth.

Thus began my quest to fulfill a kids dream. This led me through various garages and second hand dealerships, with disastrous results. I had people trying to convince me that a Gypsy and a Gypsy king were the "Same"!!! looked like Maruti goofed up in launching the king (hehe)
Some lines I heard and am sure a lot of people out there can relate to it
"Saar king has 300 CC more that is only difference we will put in esteem engine and make it same"
"Wide track?? no problem saar we will put in spacers!!"
These are a couple that really stuck in my mind.

With my mind spinning by the fruits of my search, I met a friend of mine and was sharing my tale of woe with him, when he suddenly remembered one of his friends was looking to sell his gypsy, as he was not using it much.

Could it be that lady luck was finally smiling at me? after all these garages and mechanics, was it possible? was there light at the end of the tunnel??

Well I saw the Gypsy, took it for a drive and got a look at the RC book (YES it was a king). We then sat over a (few) cup(s) of filter coffee and haggled over the price. The fourth cup had us at an agreement, and no sleep for that night.
After giving him a token advance, sent the gypsy to my garage for a regular checkup/service and to get the springs done up to take the load that I wanted it to.
A week and full payment later I finally got to see MY Gypsy (feels nice to say it). Though whenever I saw it I felt that the wheels were small but I kept dismissing it to the fact that the spring work had raised the vehicle. When I first loaded the vehicle, realisation dawned on me - The Gypsy had car tyres!!

The previous owner had tried to make a car out of this offroader by first dropping the suspension, disconnecting the front drive shaft and adding car tyres.

Thus began the start of my Gypsy's metamorphosis back into an offroader.
(and load vehicle, lets not forget the original purpose)
1) Suspension - stiff and raised - more load carrying capacity and ground clearance.
2) Tyres - Got a swap on the tyres (which were fortunately about 5000 KM's old) and got meself 235X75 R15!!!
3) 4X4 - Ok havent got to it as yet but I do have the drive shaft with me and it will be done soon.

Now that my Gypsy has appropriate shoes, I have below a couple of pics.
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-dsc01517.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-dsc01515.jpg
That is the story till now - but will keep you guys updated on this metamorphosis - Until then happy off-roading
Old 14th April 2009, 10:47   #187
Senior - BHPian

Gypsy Boy,

Congratulations for your gypsy acquisition. Hope to see you and your gypsy on offroading soon. PM me when you are free.

Dwarak
Old 14th April 2009, 18:13   #188
BHPian

Hi Gypsy boy congrats on your new ride, Your wheels are awsome did they come with the vehicle or did you buy them later.
Old 15th April 2009, 23:28   #189
BHPian

Dwaraka - I am awaiting the next OTR, would be a real pleasure to meet everyone
Wicked - I got the wheels with the Gypsy ( my luck ) though that luck didnt extend to the tyres, which were changed recently
Old 16th April 2009, 02:23   #190
Senior - BHPian

Lucky you,gypsy-boy! Congrats on the buy! Waiting to see more pics of the machine!
Hmm..for some of us, the dream of owning a Gypsy remains a dream.
Old 16th April 2009, 04:08   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
From when I could drive, I always wanted a Gypsy, but fate (and parents) conspired otherwise and my dream remained locked in the deepest echelons of my mind for many a years.
Oh I very well understand what you mean by parents and Gypsy together lol. They just don't go hand in hand. Congrats on your buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
Love those rims!!! Are those alloys or steel rims?? If they are steel rims please tell me from where you got them?? How much you got them for?? I'd love to know about them. I'm hunting for steel rims myself.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 16th April 2009, 09:49   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post
... Are those alloys or steel rims?? If they are steel rims please tell me from where you got them?? How much you got them for??
These are alloys for sure. Yeah the brand (is it HR???) and the price please.
-regards,
Old 16th April 2009, 15:43   #193
Senior - BHPian

congrats on your gypsy. those wheels are the classic best, they never go out of style!
Old 16th April 2009, 17:58   #194
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, the beast is in right hands and right group now. Use it the way it should be.. Nice rims. Does any one knows more about them?
Old 16th April 2009, 18:40   #195
BHPian

NomadVagabond / Kandisa / Ym-enjn - These are League brand of alloys. I got them with the gypsy so dunno how much they would cost.

Nitin / Parm - Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Lucky you,gypsy-boy! Congrats on the buy! Waiting to see more pics of the machine!
Hmm..for some of us, the dream of owning a Gypsy remains a dream.
Nitin patience is a very difficult virtue to get. But I am sure that with perseverance, you can also attain your dream.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th April 2009 at 18:50. Reason: Back to back posts!

Most Viewed